• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Patryn said:
And I guess I must be the only person in the world who really likes Bring Down the Sky. For one thing, I think the choice at the end of that is one of the hardest choices in the entire series, rivaled only by the choice in Mordin's loyalty quest.
Nah bro, I loved BDTS too. Such a good "episode."

McNum

Stallion Free said:
Nah bro, I loved BDTS too. Such a good "episode."
That's actually one thing about the Arrival that I found deeply ironic.

In Bring Down the Sky, you try to stop a Batarian terrorist from destroying a human colony with a giant asteroid. In Arrival
Shepard destroys a Batarian colony... with a giant asteroid.
I hope a Shepard who did both will get called on that.

Lime

A couple of pics:

masseffect22011-03-300yp4k.png

masseffect22011-03-300boec.png

masseffect22011-03-300gowi.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DOWNLOAD FINISHED! HEREEEEEEEE WE GO! :D

Lothars

Patryn said:
To save people a click, here's a link to Page 1 of that review.

And I guess I must be the only person in the world who really likes Bring Down the Sky. For one thing, I think the choice at the end of that is one of the hardest choices in the entire series, rivaled only by the choice in Mordin's loyalty quest.

I thought bringing down the sky was fantastic as well, it's a great piece of DLC and one of my favorite ME missions.

Lothars

rocksteady1983 said:
Hopefully now they will bundle all this DLC together since this was the last one, and put it on a GOTY edition.

I have no doubt they will, it's probably gonna be a couple months but it will come.

Felt like Dragon Age DLC. I'd had high hopes following Lair, but it's disappointing to end ME2 on this note.

Fun moments, but weakest of the paid DLC mission content.

The Eurogamer review sums up my opinion pretty well. I couldn't believe that I didn't get to make the choice.

Bad form, Bioware. I mean, my Shepard
was a Renegade who would've done that anyway, I didn't even try to warn the Batarians,
but that's not the point.

Cetra

Compared to Lair of the Shadow Broker, this was complete garbage. The storytelling was surprisingly poor. Though there were a couple of really cool character/gameplay moments for Shepard.

I guess I was hoping for something more epic to end Mass Effect 2 on, and this just failed to deliver.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
Just finished it. Why was this one so eh? I enjoyed LOTSB and Overlord more. I feel like the fact that you "had to go in alone" was just lazy as well as the fact that you get to make 1 unimportant choice.
seriously, warning them was 3 seconds of "this is command-"

Marleyman

Banned
I think Bioware spoiled us with LOTSB and Overlord. I got what I wanted out of Arrival. I think we as gamers are spoiled in general with DLC. I think an extra 2 hours or so is the sweet spot for some DLC, especially since Mass Effect has had so many already.

Side question: What
reaper showed up to talk to Shepard at the end?

Weeman0313

Neo Member
Marleyman said:
I think Bioware spoiled us with LOTSB and Overlord. I got what I wanted out of Arrival. I think we as gamers are spoiled in general with DLC. I think an extra 2 hours or so is the sweet spot for some DLC, especially since Mass Effect has had so many already.

Harbinger ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Atruvius

It took me a bit over an hour to finish this DLC. It was shorter than I had expected and it didn't have a lot of substance. There was way too much shooting indoors and not enough talking and story moments. Some of the animations during cut scenes were a bit janky and it felt weird that Joker didn't say a thing.

Arrival wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. It was mediocre.

Patryn

Weeman0313 said:
Just finished it. Why was this one so eh? I enjoyed LOTSB and Overlord more. I feel like the fact that you "had to go in alone" was just lazy as well as the fact that you get to make 1 unimportant choice.
seriously, warning them was 3 seconds of "this is command-"

This one wasn't made by the main ME team. It was made by Bioware Montreal. I hope that's the reason for it being so mediocre.

Salaadin

My biggest issue with this was the odd random moments here and there.
First, Shephard almost dies and then wakes up on the table because the sedatives, for some reason, arent working. You wake up and its like nothing ever happened. Fully powered Shephard, ready to kick ass and remotely control conveniently located robots!

Then there was the random dude in Normandy saying "we're ready to pick you up" then Shephards "Get us out of here, Joker" followed by a blank, dumb stare from Joker. Stuff like that just pulled me out of it.

Gameplay wise, I dont like ME stealth. It wasnt even really stealth...this was more along the lines of "enemies have their backs to you so they dont immediately see you". There were no stealth kills and no way to silently take enemies out. Engaging in a firefight in one room doesnt do shit to alert the other rooms. They still stand their with their backs turned, ready to have a conversation about the current events to give you clues about whats happening.

I was also annoyed by Shephards "They spotted us!" line even when you were alone.

Average at best. I love LOTSB and Overlord so much more.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
Patryn said:
This one wasn't made by the main ME team. It was made by Bioware Montreal. I hope that's the reason for it being so mediocre.

Ah thanks for clearing that up for me. I now know who to blame.

end_of_line_by_liquidgrape.jpg

Kyoufu

Just finished it. So basically:

Reapers invade using Batarians... or Batarians invade Earth for revenge and Reapers don't show up until the end..?

Salaadin said:
My biggest issue with this was the odd random moments here and there.
First, Shephard almost dies and then wakes up on the table because the sedatives, for some reason, arent working. You wake up and its like nothing ever happened. Fully powered Shephard, ready to kick ass and remotely control conveniently located robots!
The guy was under heavy sedation while they were bringing him back from the dead. Chances are good that he has an extremely high tolerance to sedatives.

I liked the dlc for what it's worth. It was a solid 2 hours of combat and some decent storytelling thrown into the mix. Im interested in seeing what me3 does with what happens at the end of the dlc.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
I liked the dlc for what it's worth. It was a solid 2 hours of combat and some decent storytelling thrown into the mix. Im interested in seeing what me3 does with what happens at the end of the dlc.

Are you talking about all the dlc as a whole or just Arrival, because if you are claiming Arrival has 2 hours of combat then you are either playing with 2 fingers or on the hardest difficulty.

Patryn

Kyoufu said:
Just finished it. So basically:

Reapers invade using Batarians... or Batarians invade Earth for revenge and Reapers don't show up until the end..?

Neither.
Batarians just happened to have been in the system which the Reapers would reach first. Makes sense, as since the arrival of humanity, Batarians are being pushed to the edges of known space. They kidnapped the doctor simply for being in their sector of space and being human. They have fuck-all to do with the Reapers.

Arjen

Just finished it, ecspectations were really low, but i enjoyed it.
Definitly the weakest of all the DLC, way to combat heavy, and i really missed my squad mates.

Regarding the
steath
achievement.
I cloaked my whole way trough the area, and i''m pretty sure i wasn''t spotted, but it didn''t pop up for me, what did i miss? Are you supposed to evade those varen to?

Weeman0313 said:
Are you talking about all the dlc as a whole or just Arrival, because if you are claiming Arrival has 2 hours of combat then you are either playing with 2 fingers or on the hardest difficulty.
Well, I spent a bit of time trying to get all of the trophies so maybe I spent a bit more time on it than most. But yeah, it's probably more like 2 hours total with all things considered.

Patryn

Arjen said:
Definitly the weakest of all the DLC, way to combat heavy, and i really missed my squad mates.

Regarding the
steath
achievement.
I cloaked my whole way trough the area, and i''m pretty sure i wasn''t spotted, but it didn''t pop up for me, what did i miss? Are you supposed to evade those varen to?

I killed the Varen and I got it. I think you just can't alert any Batarian until you get into the room with the doctor. Pops up halfway through that cutscene, I believe.

Lothars

Arjen said:

Regarding the
steath
achievement.

Nope

There's three groups of guys you have to avoid

1.Group on other side of two sets of fire where you basically are redirected to pick up some random stuff

2.Two Guys just outside where you shut off the fence and crawl up on a truck

3. two guys just before you rescue the doctor that you can see through a door but you can go around.

once you go past them and get to the doctor as long as you haven't got into combat with those 3 instances achievement will pop, the varen don't affect it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat it.

Em.. yeah

Lime

The music was the most memorable thing in this DLC. It was so weird to listen to ambient synth once again, such as Sovereign's Theme. I was almost expecting my character to have stats and get XP for killing things! It reminded me about the changes Bioware made from ME1 to ME2 and how the 'heart' of the first one was replaced by catering to the more action-blockbuster crowd as seen by the changes in philosophy in regards to the soundtrack (ambient -> epic).

I wonder how Clint Mantsell is going to accomplish next time around.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TacticalFox88 said:
So basically....hype backfire?
More or less, yeah :(

I have one friend who picked up almost none of the DLC and he finally broke down and got this on release and I felt terrible because he got the weakest DLC by far. He did get Shadow Broker thank god, but Kasumi is so much better than Arrival.

Kyoufu

Arjen said:
Weird, i'm pretty sure i did all that, just have to try again i guess.
But thanks for the quik responses,

Sometimes you might be spotted by a guard, but it won't come after you, it'll just keep shouting for cover. Try to stick to walls away from guards.

Arjen

Kyoufu said:
Sometimes you might be spotted by a guard, but it won't come after you, it'll just keep shouting for cover. Try to stick to walls away from guards.

Thanks for the help, but i managed to get it on my second try just now.
Didn''t use cloak this time, and that worked...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Marleyman said:

What? DLC should at least be as good as Lair or Overlord if they are gonna charge 7-10 bucks for an hour to hour and a half of content. Fuck your spoiled talk.

Marleyman

Banned
HK-47 said:
What? DLC should at least be as good as Lair or Overlord if they are gonna charge 7-10 bucks for an hour to hour and a half of content. Fuck your spoiled talk.

Did you appreciate them giving you something to bridge the gap between ME2 and ME3? That seems to be the goal for this DLC. Not every DLC is created equally, and I am fine with that.

Wallach

Marleyman said:
Did you appreciate them giving you something to bridge the gap between ME2 and ME3? That seems to be the goal for this DLC. Not every DLC is created equally, and I am fine with that.

I'm not really fine with it when they charge the same amount as higher quality DLC. There's nothing here to really equate to being spoiled; I'm paying them for content. It doesn't have to be of equal quality, but it shouldn't be of equal cost if it's not. This content costs as much as Overlord and isn't even a fraction of the quality.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Marleyman said:

If its disappointing, why would I want it? I dont need a fucking bridge. I need a good story, dialogue, art design, encounters, etc.

Patryn

Marleyman said:

I'm sorry for thinking that ME2 should have covered that bridge in the main game, rather than wasting time on nonsense that doesn't matter.

Atilac

I posted my thoughts on this in the OT2, but did anyone else catch that Kenson's animation for getting out of the interrogation machine is the same from Jack getting out off Cryo?

Patryn

Atilac said:
I posted my thoughts on this in the OT2, but did anyone else catch that Kenson's animation for getting out of the interrogation machine is the same from Jack getting out off Cryo?

The Arrival was made on the cheap. It makes sense they'd reuse animations like that.

Atilac said:
That explains a lot!
I was surprised how strong she appeared to be, but that makes sense, hahaha!

Why are Reapers so chatty? For being incomprehensible and unstoppable beings, Sovereign and Harbinger sure enjoy taking a moment to rub it in the face of a mere mortal.

Red

a Master Ninja said:
Why are Reapers so chatty? For being incomprehensible and unstoppable beings, Sovereign and Harbinger sure enjoy taking a moment to rub it in the face of a mere mortal.
James Bond villain syndrome.

Psi

a Master Ninja said:

They're really just lonely and depressed and are looking for some space love from a species who understands them.

Kyoufu

a Master Ninja said:

I just want Harbinger to repeat "Assuming Direct Control" and "You will know pain, Shepard" over and over.

a Master Ninja said:

I doubt they have much to discuss with each other in dark space, it's their only chance to say something worthwhile and by god are they going to use it.

McNum

a Master Ninja said:
Because any abomination from beyond the stars can wipe out all sentients in the galaxy, but the Reapers want to do it in style. It's much more satisfying to first crush their hope, then wipe out their race.

Plus I bet they're keeping track of indignant heroic speeches. A Reaper needs a hobby, too.

Top Bottom