• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

Wallach

CushVA said:
Eh, not all that great. Doesn't really add much to the story and not sure how this impacts ME3. One thing of note:
Admiral Hackett is one ugly dude

Funny part is
on PC his face is about twice the resolution of Shepard's.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EatChildren said:
That would be okay if the writing for Harbinger was even remotely as impactful and strong as it was for Sovereign. Sovereign wasn't special, but his was able to convey the sense of unfathomable and impending doom. Harbingers dialogue was a sloppy.

so true. I kinda wish I didn't play it. What's worse is that my second character needs to go through this shit too. Because I have a feeling that this DLC will impact ME3 content in some way due to the major choice made by Sheppard there.

Wallach

subversus said:
so true. I kinda wish I didn't play it. What's worse is that my second character needs to go through this shit too. Because I have a feeling that this DLC will impact ME3 content in some way due to the major choice made by Sheppard there.

Which one? You can't save the Batarians.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh yeah, apparently this includes the Kestral armor for free? I had contemplated grabbing it for this, but it was all there when I loaded up my save. It's a really nice set that has the 5 pieces instead of 1. I really dug how it looked on Femshep.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
subversus said:
oh, but I thought I
could warn them

You can try, but the crazy woman interrupts and it never goes out.

DuckRacer

The little bit of exposition you get is good, and it was cool to see Hackett. It also didn't retcon anything from ME1, despite the conclusion jumping that happened in this thread.

The DLC itself was pretty poor though, the environments were all drab and 95% of the time you were literally shooting in corridors. It also only took slightly over an hour to complete, and that's with engaging in all possible firefights. (Seriously, those were the stealth sequences? Just not entering a room?) I'd say it's easily the worst ME2 DLC release, just watch the two pertinent cutscenes on YouTube and save your $7.

subversus

EatChildren said:
You can try, but the crazy woman interrupts and it never goes out.

lame but it's pretty expected if we talk about ME, so I don't complain.

jonabbey

Yoshichan said:

Yeah, I started a NG+ with a renegade shepherd on insane level, but I had already put 60 hours into doing literally everything in the game. I'd love to just do another DLC and get the cookie.

Wallach

I also didn't realize
the first part was a "stealth" segment whatsoever so I need to re-do that part to get the achievement. I did get the one for surviving all of the "waves" during the Object Rho section. Were there any others in this DLC?

subversus said:
Aww dude, you fucked up that quote. Now it's been spoiled for me : /

subversus

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Aww dude, you fucked up that quote. Now it's been spoiled for me : /

damn, I apologize. Fixed it, but believe me I didn't spoil that much. It's really not that special.

I need a link to the music that plays when (ugh... really have to do spoilers?)
You wake up after the two day period of sedation before breaking out by controlling the mech

Soo good.

subversus said:
damn, I apologize. Fixed it, but believe me I didn't spoil that much. It's really not that special.
It's alright. It serves me right for entering here before playing the dlc. Just sucks to have some of the mystery peeled away.

subversus

DuckRacer said:
Oh yeah the music was easily the best part. Definitely reminiscent of ME1.

yes, I noticed that too.

also some "not-your-usual-ME-gameplay" parts were not bad, but could be executed much better.

Salaadin

Anyone else having issues with the Steam version? I keep getting a "Mass Effect 2 has stopped working" error.
I saw another forum say to lower the resolution but I cant even do that because the Config tool immediately goes to "not responding" after booting up. Im verifying cache right now.

Salaadin said:
Anyone else having issues with the Steam version? I keep getting a "Mass Effect 2 has stopped working" error.
I saw another forum say to lower the resolution but I cant even do that because the Config tool immediately goes to "not responding" after booting up. Im verifying cache right now.

No clue what's going on, all I can do to help out is that I have the steam version and everything went fine so it may not be a steam thing.

Zomba13

Ok, WTF. I just got to the project base thing a while ago and decided to save and do somethign else for a while. Just loaded up ME2 and now my save says 'Unknown Location' and won't let me load my save. WTF bioware?

Lakitu

st5fu
Zomba13 said:
Ok, WTF. I just got to the project base thing a while ago and decided to save and do somethign else for a while. Just loaded up ME2 and now my save says 'Unknown Location' and won't let me load my save. WTF bioware?

This has happened to me a lot recently. Try taking out the game and waiting 10-15 minutes, first of all.

Salaadin

Ickman3400 said:
No clue what's going on, all I can do to help out is that I have the steam version and everything went fine so it may not be a steam thing.
Event Log is showing this:

Faulting application name: MassEffect2.exe, version: 1.2.1604.0, time stamp: 0x4bd611db
Faulting module name: GameOverlayRenderer.dll, version: 1.6.6.1, time stamp: 0x4d87fb46
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000128f4
Faulting process id: 0x1024
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbee620c795392
Faulting application path: d:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\Binaries\MassEffect2.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\GameOverlayRenderer.dll
Report Id: 4c5d21b9-5a55-11e0-abc2-00241dc187ac

Still trying to find a fix

EDIT: Disabline Steam community in game fixed it. Thats a little half ass but itll get me thru the DLC lol.

subversus

Salaadin said:

The steam version here, no problem.

Zomba13

Lakitu said:
This has happened to me a lot recently. Try taking out the game and waiting 10-15 minutes, first of all.
Ah, found a work around. I need to load a previous save (like when I was on the Normandy) then I can load the save from the DLC. Weird.

Anyone having trouble with the 360 version?

I've been trying for an hour to play this, but every time it says "Cannot load save. The following content is missing: Kasumi, Overlord, Shadow Broker"

Thing is, none of it is missing. I keep redownloading and still the same. I've now resorted to deleting the offending DLC and re-downloading from scratch, which is gonna take me ages.

ape2man

When you
almost die in the dlc you end op on a opperating table.
What the hell where they
trying to
do
to you
?

Pollux

Awesome...Mass Age here we come.

lets go get get our galactic allies ready to fight the Archdemon...i mean reapers.

kai3345

Banned
Only played the first half so far, up to the mech part.

Pretty fun. I mean it just feels like another mission, nothing special, but its at least a fun mission.

Mindlog

Small nod to the DLC team. They parked the Normandy closer to the pickup zone thereby avoiding last minute trope jump #8 for the series.

Stallion Free said:
Oh yeah, apparently this includes the Kestral armor for free? I had contemplated grabbing it for this, but it was all there when I loaded up my save. It's a really nice set that has the 5 pieces instead of 1. I really dug how it looked on Femshep.
Are you sure? I just bought it because of this last piece of DLC. I guess I paid 2 bucks for Zaeed/Legion to kill everything.

They really need to take background into consideration when doing these things. It would have been a nice little touch if Sheppard had the option to transmit, 'For Mindior.'

Vamphuntr

ape2man said:
When you
almost die in the dlc you end op on a opperating table.
What the hell where they
trying to
do
to you
?

Shepard : I lost all my levels and skills a little while after that event.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Some PC screens:

MassEffect2%202011-03-29%2016-22-24-27.jpg

MassEffect2%202011-03-29%2017-01-36-24.jpg

MassEffect2%202011-03-29%2017-07-01-71.jpg

kai3345

Banned
After playing the PC version maxed out and then going back to 360 to play this, I was shocked by how bad the textures are on the 360 version

Dartastic

So um, the verdict is it's not that hot? I've enjoyed the other DLC. Doesn't the Castlevania DLC also come out today? I think it's one or the other for me...

Aeana

I finished it, and thought it was ... okay. Definitely way below the other three major DLC, although I did still enjoy it. My biggest problem with it is actually due to having no party. One of the reasons why I enjoy playing ME2 so much is because of interplay between party members and myself. Also, I really liked the music that played after
you wake up from sedation and have to take control of the mech and stuff
I think that was the highlight for me.

Just beat it twice - Paragon/Male/Soldier Shep first, Renegade/Female/Vanguard Shep second. Definitely enjoyed it more as a Vanguard. Charge is still one of my favorite video game abilities ever.

It had some cool moments, but this DLC's real value for me is whether/how it's implemented into ME3. Until then I'll reserve judgment on whether it was worth it. I would at least like a cut scene with dialogue options relating to its events. I mean, the ending has some very serious implications for Shepherd/humanity and if that just gets glossed over as a ME3 email I'll be disappointed.

megalowho

I had fun with it. Sets up some cool things for Mass Effect 3, and that's good enough for me.

Man I hope Shepard starts feeling the indoctrination at some point. He admitted having dreams to Hackett at the end, but brushed them off. That's how they getcha!

Mindlog

TheUsual said:
Arc Projector is your best friend on those things.
Stasis is even better. Really my Shep is at the point where YMIRs need to be low level thugs.

megalowho said:
I had fun with it. Sets up some cool things for Mass Effect 3, and that's good enough for me.

Man I hope Shepard starts feeling the indoctrination at some point. He admitted having dreams to Hackett at the end, but brushed them off. That's how they getcha!
  • Flies around in a ship equipped with an advanced AI.
  • Charismatic leader of a synthetic army.
  • Consorts with horrors from beyond.
  • Is known to resort to extreme measures to complete a mission.
  • Implanted with Reaper tech.
  • Will stand trial with sketchy evidence at best presented against him.
Saren?

McNum

Eh, it was fun. Not really that expensive and it was fun to dig out Shepard for a good old fashioned gunfight again. It wasn't as good as Shadow Broker, but really, that's the standard all Mass Effect DLC is going to be measured by.

One thing did bother me. It ended right as things were getting interesting. Mass Effect to me is both gunfighting and dialog. And I was so ready to
go to Earth and show them what a more than maxed out Paragon bar can do to a showtrial. Ask the Quarians how that worked out. Some Batarians just need a good yelling at. That's always fun. I guess that'll have to wait until the sequel. Without my 200% Paragon skills to throw a it...

Well, I kind of expect my surviving (and loyal) crew to show up at the trial as character witnesses. And a whole bunch of Reapers, of course. You just know they're going to bust through the courtroom roof at a dramatically appropriate moment. Preferably when asked for proof about the Reapers. I hope there's an option to throw airquotes at that moment.

This DLC did have one effect, though. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 3 again. I want to see how this ends now. So I guess it served its purpose.

Would be kinda cool if one of the DLC for ME3 would be
shepard dealing with the trial on earth, and it could be focused on gathering a good defense for him other than "hey I fucking beat the reapers"

Granted, I wouldn't expect Bioware to pull it off in a good way. You'd probably be able to do it by just hitting the paragon/renegade option all the time.

Wallach said:
Which one? You can't save the Batarians.

Doesn't matter,
what you did there will have an impact in ME3. Bioware even said this. Most likely something along the lines of, if you didn't play the DLC, the Reapers get there sooner, billions more people die as a result of being more unprepared, as opposed to delaying the invasion some and having significantly better preparations.

Mindlog, that's a rather frightening comparison! I like it.

Just finished. I wasn't wowed by it nearly as much as Shadow Broker, but it was still pretty good for the price. Music was definitely a plus. Also, Hackett was great. : )

I was frustrated with the level making me stick in places or come out of cover really awkwardly. Part of it is probably to blame on vanguard charge, but it seemed more common than usual.

Looking forward to
showing up for trial. Tali will by my lawyer this time around.

Top Bottom