• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
New DLC for my Insanity playthrough on the PS3. Atleast now I know when to do it.

Equus Bellator Apex

Ephemeris said:
my-body-is-ready.png

No, it's not.

raphier

Banned
This gotta be a joke. I will start calling bioware from this point a DLCware company. I fear for DLCequelization of ME3.

raphier said:
This gotta be a joke. I will start calling bioware from this point a DLCware company. I fear for DLCequelization of ME3.

DLC is not a bad thing when we get stuff like Shadow Broker.

El-Suave

Lucius86 said:
Is there any concrete evidence this is DLC for ME2, not just a warmup for ME3 footage??

Yes, the PS3 version has already been patched with the Trophies (inclunding the name of this DLC).

seat

That guy in the video is really annoying, but that doesn't stop me from getting excited for more Mass Effect 2 DLC. What's been released has been fantastic so far.

Lucius86

Banned
El-Suave said:
Yes, the PS3 version has already been patched with the Trophies (inclunding the name of this DLC).

Well I guess that is good news, more playable stuff for us that will hopefully lead in nicely to the intro of ME3.

The only downer here is that it is naturally going to be compared to LotSB - one of the best DLC ever made. We will all have high expectations!

Arjen

raphier said:

If all the DLC is as good as Shadow Broker, bring it on

sam27368

Banned
Lakitu said:
Hope we get an official announcement soon. If it's as good as LOTSB, I'm going to be very happy.

I think if we don't get anything today (end of GDC) then we won't hear until after the 11th when DA2 is released as they'll want all their marketing shift on that game.

Lakitu

st5fu
sam27368 said:
I think if we don't get anything today (end of GDC) then we won't hear until after the 11th when DA2 is released as they'll want all their marketing shift on that game.

Yeah, I reckon so too. Still, finally, we're getting something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If it weren't for BioWare's trophy screw up and this guy unboxing copies of Dragon Age II we wouldn't even know Arrival exists. Keep that in mind when trying to work out when BioWare will finally blow the lid off this one.

I do hope it is sooner rather than later though. A full playthrough of Mass Effect 2 with all the DLC is going to be boss.

Seda

I would have thought that "The Arrival" would have something to do with the reapers showing up.

This looks nothing related.

Lucius86 said:
I wonder if the woman in for interrogation is a messenger for the Reapers?

Not implausible...

Patryn

Lucius86 said:
I wonder if the woman in for interrogation is a messenger for the Reapers?

Based on the leaked trophies and the Cerberus Network:

I'm guessing she's Dr. Amanda Kenson, who you have to save, and who has been doing research about the mass effect relays that points to possible Reaper secrets.

Seda

Patryn said:
Based on the leaked achievement spoilers and the Cerberus Network:

I'm guessing she's the doctor you have to save who's research involves the coming of the Reapers.

And.......I'm not reading that spoiler. I usually don't care about spoilers, but Mass Effect in an exception.

Lucius86

Banned
So, according to Facebook a new screenshot will be posted after 750,000 impressions.

290yejd.png

Which is it? Twitter, Facebook or perhaps neither??

This is stated to be the last bridge DLC correct? I'll probably pick this up with Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord and perhaps Kasumi if that is the case.

Hmm... A prison? Torture room? Testing facility?
I'm intrigued!

I'll be there day one, just like every other story DLC for mass effect. Can't get enough of these!

sam27368

Banned
I'm thinking that this EU Game conference that EA states will have ME3 info will have the trailer/release date for this and a bit of preorder info for ME3. But we won't see ME3 footage til E3.

Seda

Lucius86 said:
So, according to Facebook a new screenshot will be posted after 750,000 impressions.

http://i53.tinypic.com/290yejd.png[IMG]

Which is it? Twitter, Facebook or perhaps neither??[/QUOTE]

That's a ridiculous amount.

scarybore

Patryn said:
Based on the leaked achievement spoilers and the Cerberus Network:

I'm guessing she's the doctor you have to save who's research involves the coming of the Reapers.

That's my guess.

Possible spoilers:
I forget but have we seen a Batarian wearing a helmet before? I expect them to be involved judging from what people on the Bioware forums found in the second appearance pack DLC but judging from the screenshot, the helmets only have two eyes. Could be an exchange or maybe things changed, who knows.

Still, I'm glad we finally have a screenshot. The wait can't be too long now.

sam27368

Banned
This is what I don't understand about game dev, BioWare has one of the largest teams in the world (admittedly split across 3/4 projects but then if you do basic division each project has around 200/250 staff which is huge). They also outsource a lot of their work.

Other smaller game studios with similar dev timelines are able to produce much more content in the same space of time. Creating another few NPC enemies is not a tough task, all of the animations seem to be cut/paste across the board for most the humanoid NPC enemies in ME2 which is not a big deal. So why not just get a character modeller to design a few extra chars over the space of a few weeks? It doesn't take long in the grand scheme of things and makes the overall experience far more submersive, instead of taking players out the experience and thinking "I've already fought this guy 500 times".

Lakitu

st5fu
Bring it, but why can't they officially announce it? Quite annoying. We all know it's coming, just stop with the viral crap. Just want a proper synopsis.

jackdoe

Really makes you wonder how they'll treat this bridging DLC for ME3. Because realistically, you can't expect everyone who buys ME3 to buy this.

jackdoe said:
Really makes you wonder how they'll treat this bridging DLC for ME3. Because realistically, you can't expect everyone who buys ME3 to buy this.

I have a feeling the majority of the DLC will be a random mission with the final few seconds being a cut-scene that bridges 2 & 3. That way, they can add that cut-scene the intro of ME3/any pre release media.

:/

Darklord

Banned
jackdoe said:

Probably something like Dead Rising 2: Case Zero.

jackdoe

Speedymanic said:
I have a feeling the majority of the DLC will be a random mission with the final few seconds being a cut-scene that bridges 2 & 3. That way, they can add that cut-scene the intro of ME3/any pre release media.

:/
I wouldn't put it past Bioware. Especially with the way Lair of the Shadow Broker ended (that DLC seems particularly suited to have an e-mail message shout out in ME3 rather than a significant tie-in). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the DLC. It just felt like it wouldn't really matter in the long run with regards to ME3.

Lakitu

st5fu
jackdoe said:
I wouldn't put it past Bioware. Especially with the way Lair of the Shadow Broker ended (that DLC seems particularly suited to have an e-mail message shout out in ME3 rather than a significant tie-in). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the DLC. It just felt like it wouldn't really matter in the long run with regards to ME3.

I thought the opposite.

I think
Liara's role as the new Shadow Broker will be important for ME 3.

Mindlog

LotSB put Liara is a position to be ME3's Admiral Hacket. A voice from the sky that gives you missions.

Admiral Hacket is going to be on the Normandy commanding allied forces from the on-board bar.

Batarians will be dead because that is the natural order.

Mindlog said:
LotSB put Liara is a position to be ME3's Admiral Hacket. A voice from the sky that gives you missions.

Admiral Hacket is going to be on the Normandy commanding allied forces from the on-board bar.

Batarians will be dead because that is the natural order.
Bagh I want a proper replacement for XO Pressley damn it.

jackdoe

Lakitu said:
I thought the opposite.

I think
Liara's role as the new Shadow Broker will be important for ME 3.
I felt like they were writing her out of the series by giving her a role which would force her to be cooped up in a location far out of the way. And I don't expect to visit the Lair of the Shadow Broker in ME3 for free (Return to Lair of Shadow Broker DLC for ME3 seems likely as hell) which is why I believe we'll get an e-mail or a vid conference at best.

Top Bottom