• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

Lakitu

st5fu
jackdoe said:
I felt like they were writing her out of the series by giving her a role which would force her to be cooped up in a location far out of the way. And I don't expect to visit the Lair of the Shadow Broker in ME3 for free (Return to Lair of Shadow Broker DLC for ME3 seems likely as hell) which is why I believe we'll get an e-mail or a vid conference at best.

I'm not sure, but you may be right considering they handled the majority of the choices like that in ME 2. I sure hope not.

Anyway, Jesse Houston posted this tweet two hours ago:

Soon I will 'Arrive' in San Francisco to tell the world about some cool stuff ;)

So there is going to be an event in San Francisco to unveil it? Must be significant then. Though, they did that with Overlord, I suppose.

bPod

2432809.gif

Lakitu

st5fu
Speculation on Bioware boards saying that
the Merc in the screen is Shepard (undercover, obviously).
Makes sense.

I just re-bought ME2 on steam today since both my consoles recently died and got all the worthwhile DLC, and I'm treated with this awesome news. Timing couldn't be any better.

Also, it has to be about the Reapers. Otherwise we're going to play ME3 and they're just magically going to be on Earth judging by the trailer. Bioware hasn't fallen that far in the story department yet

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm guessing the lady in the screenshot is
Dr. Amanda Kenson?

304942 Seconds = 3.529421296296296 Days

Reveal on Friday?

It's a countdown within a screenshot within a forum. Such geniuses those Bioware doctors.

jaundicejuice said:
SO given Mass Effect 2's ending and the title of the dlc,
the reaper arrives?
A prelude of sorts to the third game then?

Bioware said any and all story DLC since Lair of the Shadow Broker will bridge the gap between ME2 and ME3.

PeteJ

StevePharma said:

Reveal on Friday?

It's a countdown within a screenshot within a forum. Such geniuses those Bioware doctors.
Works out as 211 days away if in minutes...October 12th. Could be a release date for ME3, the date the reapers find Earth and the Arrival DLC is released or just some numbers in a screenshot posted on a forum.

Lucius86

Banned
StevePharma said:

Reveal on Friday?

It's my bloody phone number. Shepherd is going to call and kill me :-(

PeteJ said:
Works out as 211 days away if in minutes...October 12th. Could be a release date for ME3, the date the reapers find Earth and the Arrival DLC is released or just some numbers in a screenshot posted on a forum.

October 12 could be the day they release the dlc, since that would make it about a month away from the release of 3 and would be a nice hype generator. Though that would be a dick move by Bioware to tease and announce a highly anticipated dlc for 7 months away

Jerk

Banned
SalsaShark said:
God dammit

im tired of uninstalling this game only to install it a month or two afterwards

UGH

You should do what I do: Ignore all the DLC.

A month or two before ME3, I will have a good deal of content for refresher run.

Lakitu

st5fu
I reckon that number will be something to do with the Reapers, maybe a countdown? Not sure. Anyway, just officially announce the thing now Bioware! Hopefully we get an announcement tomorrow.

Clott

Very hyped, I haven't gotten any of the DLC and will get them all when this is released. I wanted to wait for all of them to get released so I wouldn't tease myself, bow when I boot this game up again I will have a few hours of game play in the ME universe.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Lakitu said:
I reckon that number will be something to do with the Reapers, maybe a countdown? Not sure. Anyway, just officially announce the thing now Bioware! Hopefully we get an announcement tomorrow.
Yeah, I reckon it's the time left before the Reaper armada arrive.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thnikkaman said:
Yeah, I reckon it's the time left before the Reaper armada arrive.

You mean several millenia, cause thats how long it should take for them to get here without a mass relay.

Lakitu

st5fu
HK-47 said:
You mean several millenia, cause thats how long it should take for them to get here without a mass relay.

Hence the mass relay on the computer screen. I think it would make sense they would come through the mass relays, since they are the Reapers creation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lakitu said:
Hence the mass relay on the computer screen.

The mass relay out in dark space connects to the Citadel. How can they jump in with the Citadel under non Reaper control? I wonder how they will explain
retcon
it.

Lakitu

st5fu
HK-47 said:
The mass relay out in dark space connects to the Citadel. How can they jump in with the Citadel under non Reaper control? I wonder how they will explain
retcon
it.

Yeah, I am obviously tired, completely forgot about that. I wonder how they'd go about that.

Lime

HK-47 said:
retcon
it.

Don't worry, Bioware's marketing department will take care of explaining that peculiar retcon!
Be quiet! You don't want to get us all banned from playing Bioware/EA games

Songbird

Prodigal Son
HK-47 said:
retcon
it.
The lady scientist who we have never heard of before will have a shocking new theory on how they'll manage, duh. Of course they'll try to kill her off, so we have to protect her in a wave-based arena scenario so she can tell the council. They ignore her. Bam!

Coxswain

HK-47 said:
Not necessarily, though that depends just exactly how far outside the galaxy they are. FTL travel without a mass relay is still commonplace in Mass Effect; it's just at a rate of 0.5 light years per hour instead of instantaneous, or something like that (for Citadel race space ships, anyway). At that speed, it would take them about 23 years or so to go from one end of the Milky Way to the other, in a straight line, without a Mass Relay. And they only need to get to a Mass Relay, even if it's on the very outer rim, before they can start propagating through the galaxy at relay speeds. If they're, say, 20,000 light years away from the nearest Mass Relay, that would only be around a 4.5 year wait, and that's assuming their max FTL speed is unchanged from that of the current civilizations around.

It's really not inconsistent with the game's established lore for them to get here within a few years. More likely, doing it that way is simply such a huge expenditure of energy that they're going to be diminished and more vulnerable than usual by the time they arrive. Combine that with the loss of their ability to directly cut off the Mass Relays and removing their element of surprise, it's actually a pretty plausible way for that war to be won, without changing any established 'facts' of the game's universe.

StevePharma said:

Reveal on Friday?

We need to go deeper.

Also I'm expecting another GTTV reveal that will force me to watch that shitty show for 12 seconds of footage and three sentencecs from the doctors.

The idol from Dragon Age 2 is
a piece of a Reaper

And Thedas is a world that was
harvested by Reapers many cycles before the era of Mass Effect

That's why the idol
indoctrinated Meredith and Varric's brother

The veil is also a
failed experiment produced by the Reapers many cycles before the events of Mass Effect

HK-47 said:

Conventional FTL travel in MEverse is 12 lightyears per day for a standard drive (Codex figure) which is 4383 lightyears per year = 4383 times the speed of light. The derelict reaper in ME2 had it's ME core running for 37 million years without discharging (it was floating dead in space).

Some dudes over at Bioware Social ages back had a thread where they estimated the distance the Reaper Armada was away circa the end of ME2 (based on the knowledge of the width of the Milky Way and how big it was during that cutscene). Using this FTL drive speed they reckoned just under 2 years to close the gap. It's probable Bioware never thought of this shit when they were writing the codex and making that cutscene (lord knows the cutscenes have never been consistent with anythin else in the past), but if they do want the Reapers to simply fly back, there is a precedent for that.

I'm guessing there will probably be another backdoor into the galaxy though, because if they could just fly back whenever they want then it fucking invalidates the first two games since they should have flown back circa the Rachni wars when it became apparent they were overdue.

Wait what, there is FTL travel in the mass effect universe? Bagh I always thought they were limited by relativistic speeds since you know thus Mass Relays, and wormholes and gates and their ilk.

But reapers can posses any near magical technology they want really since its never clearly stated what is the limit of their capabilities.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
it fucking invalidates the first two games since they should have flown back circa the Rachni wars when it became apparent they were overdue.
Again, not really. Taking control of the citadel and activating the mass relay is always Plan A. Physically traveling to the galaxy is presumably the last resort at all times.

Lostconfused said:
Again, not really. Taking control of the citadel and activating the mass relay is always Plan A. Physically traveling to the galaxy is presumably the last resort at all times.

I get the feeling that granting the civilizations of the galaxy 1000 years to expand and tecch up isn't really a smart move. Consider that as soon as they get to the edge of the galaxy and hit the first relay, they're two jumps away from the citadel (i.e. less than 10 minutes real time, relays are near-instantaneous).

Ships are undetectable while at FTL because of light-speed lag (explicitly stated in codex), so they could also simply FTL up to the "top" of the galaxy and manually FTL to the citadel from there, with nobody to interrupt them until they arrive. This would put them in the same situation Sovereign was during ME1, attacking the citadel fleets, only this time there's like 200 reapers instead of 1. They can manually take control like Sovvy was going to and do whatever.

You have to do some pretty impressive mental gymnastics to make this work assuming they can fly bacck whenever they want. I suppose you could say "they were asleep and couldn't wake up until their alarms went off", but then they still should have come at the start of ME2 instead of messing around with the confusiong collector plot (the final goal of which is pretty ambiguous, since another single reaper doesn't help them get back to the galaxy at all, especially when the races are all rocking reverse engineered reaper tech now).

Wait what, there is FTL travel in the mass effect universe? Bagh I always thought they were limited by relativistic speeds since you know thus Mass Relays, and wormholes and gates and their ilk.

Yeah, whenever you see the Normandy cruising through space with the red/blue funky lights and the effects all over, that's FTL flight. It's also what the SR2 jumps to when Joker is all "EDI GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!" It's also how the ship manages to fly around between star systems, otherwise you'd take 4 years to get from star to star!

HK-47 said:
retcon
it.

"We simply misplaced our second emergency relay. It is like how you insignificant organics manage to lose your hover-car keys all the time."

ThoseDeafMutes said:
You have to do some pretty impressive mental gymnastics to make this work assuming they can fly bacck whenever they want. I suppose you could say "they were asleep and couldn't wake up until their alarms went off", but then they still should have come at the start of ME2 instead of messing around with the confusiong collector plot (the final goal of which is pretty ambiguous, since another single reaper doesn't help them get back to the galaxy at all, especially when the races are all rocking reverse engineered reaper tech now).
Well blame Bioware for what they did to the plot of ME2. I thought at the end of ME1 it was pretty clear that destroying Sovereign was only a set back and that the reapers would eventually get around to purging the galaxy one way or another.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yeah, whenever you see the Normandy cruising through space with the red/blue funky lights and the effects all over, that's FTL flight. It's also what the SR2 jumps to when Joker is all "EDI GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!" It's also how the ship manages to fly around between star systems, otherwise you'd take 4 years to get from star to star!

Yes I know that, I just thought it was traveling at relativistic speeds rather than faster than light. Yeah I don't know why I was thinking that.

graywolf323

LumpOfCole said:
The idol from Dragon Age 2 is
a piece of a Reaper

And Thedas is a world that was
harvested by Reapers many cycles before the era of Mass Effect

That's why the idol
indoctrinated Meredith and Varric's brother

The veil is also a
failed experiment produced by the Reapers many cycles before the events of Mass Effect

that'd be pretty fucked up

Coxswain

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Ships are undetectable while at FTL because of light-speed lag (explicitly stated in codex), so they could also simply FTL up to the "top" of the galaxy and manually FTL to the citadel from there, with nobody to interrupt them until they arrive. This would put them in the same situation Sovereign was during ME1, attacking the citadel fleets, only this time there's like 200 reapers instead of 1. They can manually take control like Sovvy was going to and do whatever.

They're not undetectable - their signal just doesn't travel faster than the speed of light, so by the time you see it, they've taken off. There would still be a 'wake' left behind, and any station that happened to be inside of that before they got to the relay would be able to phone ahead and go "Holy shit guys this radiation, something's coming, might wanna lock the door". They'd still be able to spread around pretty damn quick, but there would be enough time for the Citadel to scramble its defense.
And while 'tons and tons of Reapers' is still probably a losing battle, it might not be so entirely one-sided; remember, Sovereign fucked shit up, but it was Sovereign and a gigantic Geth fleet that did the attack. It's very doubtful that an individual Reaper can fight a proper fleet to a standstill (if they could, why bother with the Rachni and the Geth in the first place?). The Reapers would probably win, but it's quite likely they'd take some pretty heavy losses, which I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy about.

Same with flying back "whenever they want". While yes, they technically could have done that at any time, there's no telling what kind of toll it would actually take on them. The energy expenditure alone might be massive enough to leave them 'starved', weakened and vulnerable. Combine that with losing their element of surprise and being unable to yank communications out from under the galaxy's feet, and not having instant access to all the central records, plans, and information they could otherwise datamine from the Citadel, and it's not too far-fetched that this would be their absolute last resort.
Given the choice between figuring out a way to restore their original, safe plan that all but guarantees victory, and a method that will almost certainly result in taking some substantial losses in a war (and could quite possibly result in them losing and dying, as we all know it will), hanging around in dark space until their other options are exhausted makes perfect sense.

Edit: I honestly really don't know how exactly the human reaper in ME2 was supposed to help things, other than maybe giving them another 'Sovereign', but besides that, if this is the way the basic plot is going to go, it actually makes a good amount of sense and lets the story come to a close without either declawing the Reapers as a credible threat, or requiring some eleventh-hour deus ex machina solution to the problem. (There still may well end up being one of those, but who knows?)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LumpOfCole said:
The term "Mass Effect" literally is the process of how all the 'technomagic' in the fiction works.

I'm ok with that. At least they spent time outlining and defining what exactly element zero and mass effects could do.

Its a shame ME2 didnt seem as dedicated to detailed explanation/continuity and ran over the established lore when it got in the way of action movie plotting.

Pollux

What are all the different DLC's for ME2? I played vanilla when it came out, but I need to get back into the whole thing. Might make a run through 1 and 2 later this week....just wish I could choose how 1 ended when I start a new version of 2. Wish they would give the xbox users the same option with the comic that they gave ps3 users.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
zmoney said:
What are all the different DLC's for ME2? I played vanilla when it came out, but I need to get back into the whole thing. Might make a run through 1 and 2 later this week....just wish I could choose how 1 ended when I start a new version of 2. Wish they would give the xbox users the same option with the comic that they gave ps3 users.

The ones you want are Zaeed's mission, which you get when you get Cerberus Network, and then Stolen Memory, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker. You also get the Firewalker Missions and the Normandy Crash site when to get the Cerberus Network as well

Wiggum2007

Yeah there are plenty of inconsistencies with the ME lore, but the Reapers being able to reach the galaxy in a reasonable amount of time without the relays isn't a retcon. Non-relay FTL drives have been in the lore since the first game, and you see it plenty of times with the Normandy and in the Codex. It just may take years to travel across the galaxy rather than the instantaneous travel afforded by the relays. Even Shepard's speech at the ME1 is "Sovereign was just a vanguard, the Reapers are still coming and I'll find some way to stop them."

Then people argue that the Reapers being able to reach the galaxy with normal FTL drives devalues Shepard's victory at the end of ME1. Remember that stopping Sovereign from activating the Citadel wasn't just significant for providing an instant link to dark space, but also for relinquishing their control of the mass relays. The Reapers had a very intricate, systematic plan of shutting down the relays and isolating systems from each other, then patiently and carefully wiping them all out over many years. Without that power they cannot afford to be so patient and will actually have to face a united resistance, though even that shouldn't be nearly enough to stop them. I'm more than a bit worried that we're gunna get some unsatisfactory deus ex machina resolution in ME3 (Thanix Cannons for everybody!!!).

And I still don't know what the fuck was up with the Terminator Reaper at the end of ME2. :/

Top Bottom