• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Swag

So, I decided to double dip on this on the PC so I could play the DLC ( Shadow Broker, Kasumi, Overlord ) I was really interested in playing the Shadow Broker because when I played ME on the 360 I had a relationship with Liara and wanted to continue it.

I go about my business, finish up the DLC and continue on with the game, figured I'd go get some more companions, do some loyalty missions, eventually I head out to get my Biotic companion seeing as how I'm playing infiltrator this play through, attempt to get the data and run into THE WORST GAME RUINING EXPERIENCE ever.

Seriously wtf is this bug, I can't get the info about Samara from Liara's terminal. I'm so pissed I might just drop this altogether and hop into Dead Space 2 or something.

IoCaster

Gattsu25 said:
I walked into one of the floating chairs in the first few minutes of actual gameplay and one of the chairs bounced off the ceiling, came back and touched me. My shephard died and I had to sit through the intro again because the game said that it could not find saved data to load from.

I've gotta try this. I know that I've bumped those chairs a bunch of times but I don't remember getting killed by one.

Gattsu25 said:
I meet up with Jacob. We fight some AI drones. I get ready to move on but can't. Another round of AI drones are here. And then another. And another. I've been killing the drones for a while. I'm a few shots short of getting the 30 headshots trophy but I ran out of ammo. I've literally killed over 60 of them by now. I also realize, when I try to kill myself so I can load from the checkpoint, that you are invincible in this section and cannot actually be killed (Veteran difficulty).

Yeah...

Just do what Ultimoo said and have Jacob "hit'em with the good stuff" use lift on one of the mechs.

Thought I'd give a heads up to you guys here, apparently according to the PS3 players on Biowares forums the Shadow Broker Quest is glitched and will cause your save data to be corrupted. It seems to freeze at a part when you have to get in a shuttle car and then it corrupts your save. Also, there may be a problem with the Samara Loyalty quest which will mess up your auto-save or something.

Thought I'd give you all a heads up.

Bernbaum

Finished.

Christ, what a game. Almost everything was amazing - a great action romp, fantastically-realized sci-fi, and Bioware have found harmony between shooter and RPG.

I squeezed every bit of fun I could out of this game. 60 hours all told - every planet visited, every sidequest, every fish and toy spaceship, every item and armour, every tech researched, every team mate loyal, and for what it's worth - every achievement bar the one for Insanity difficulty.

I've got Shadow Broker to look forward, but y'know what, I think I'll play it when the pre-ME3 DLC is announced. I've got the third book to read and I reckon I can pace myself so I've got a few tasty chunks of Mass Effect to enjoy before the final game is released.

Oh, Jack was a dumb character - that is all.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fuck :(

Freeze....
Corrupted savefile....
25 hours down the drain....
I am pissed!!!!!!

Oh well when I get myself to start again, I will do it on insanity difficulty.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Finished.

Christ, what a game. Almost everything was amazing - a great action romp, fantastically-realized sci-fi, and Bioware have found harmony between shooter and RPG.

I squeezed every bit of fun I could out of this game. 60 hours all told - every planet visited, every sidequest, every fish and toy spaceship, every item and armour, every tech researched, every team mate loyal, and for what it's worth - every achievement bar the one for Insanity difficulty.

I've got Shadow Broker to look forward, but y'know what, I think I'll play it when the pre-ME3 DLC is announced. I've got the third book to read and I reckon I can pace myself so I've got a few tasty chunks of Mass Effect to enjoy before the final game is released.

You are holding off on one of the best parts of the game.

Sai

So, there's some some new(final?) DLC coming for ME2, right? Any word on when it's supposed to be announced/released? Think I'll hold off of my next run through the game until it drops.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sebulon3k said:
So, I decided to double dip on this on the PC so I could play the DLC ( Shadow Broker, Kasumi, Overlord ) I was really interested in playing the Shadow Broker because when I played ME on the 360 I had a relationship with Liara and wanted to continue it.

I go about my business, finish up the DLC and continue on with the game, figured I'd go get some more companions, do some loyalty missions, eventually I head out to get my Biotic companion seeing as how I'm playing infiltrator this play through, attempt to get the data and run into THE WORST GAME RUINING EXPERIENCE ever.

Seriously wtf is this bug, I can't get the info about Samara from Liara's terminal. I'm so pissed I might just drop this altogether and hop into Dead Space 2 or something.

overreacting much? lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sai said:
So, there's some some new(final?) DLC coming for ME2, right? Any word on when it's supposed to be announced/released? Think I'll hold off of my next run through the game until it drops.

There's at least (and likely only) one major mission pack left for Mass Effect 2. The daily Cerberus Network news went offline, and said they'd come back briefly to hype up the last pack, but I wouldn't expect it for a long time (six months is my guess).

Otherwise, we might see some smaller stuff maybe? I'm surprised there hasn't been another Alternate Appearance pack.

Bernbaum

Sai said:
Methinks a month before ME3 will be the ideal time for them to fire up enthusiasm among the fanbase. Hopefully something meaty to bridge the games.

I finally finished Mass Effect 1 and am ready to play Mass Effect 2. I have a few questions about the game. How much of an overhaul is Mass Effect 2 from the first game? How much of a hassle is it to import my ME1 file onto ME2 for my Xbox 360? From the demo I've played on the Playstation 3, it's like I'm playing 2 different play engines? How monotonous are the side missions? I skipped past all the UNC missions and stuck with the primary campaign, as well as the Citadel based missions.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
crackhead_bob said:
I finally finished Mass Effect 1 and am ready to play Mass Effect 2. I have a few questions about the game. How much of an overhaul is Mass Effect 2 from the first game?

The combat is smoother, there is an ammo system, there are no more grenades and no more inventory systems. The conversations are the same except now you can interrupt people. The Mako is gone.

How much of a hassle is it to import my ME1 file onto ME2 for my Xbox 360?

Zero hassle. It's all part of the front-end when you start a new game.

How monotonous are the side missions? I skipped past all the UNC missions and stuck with the primary campaign, as well as the Citadel based missions.

The are basically two tiers of side-quests. The ones whose premise directly involves your squad mates and the ones that don't. The former are all well done, the latter are pretty boring but are short and designed much better than those in ME1.

masterkajo

crackhead_bob said:
I finally finished Mass Effect 1 and am ready to play Mass Effect 2. I have a few questions about the game. How much of an overhaul is Mass Effect 2 from the first game? How much of a hassle is it to import my ME1 file onto ME2 for my Xbox 360? From the demo I've played on the Playstation 3, it's like I'm playing 2 different play engines? How monotonous are the side missions? I skipped past all the UNC missions and stuck with the primary campaign, as well as the Citadel based missions.
Importing is as easy as selecting "Import ME1 Character" and then choosing from a list of all your ME1 characters that completed the game. Side Missions in ME2 are much more diverse and immersive, IMO. There are less though as in ME1.
ME2 is different than ME1 concerning gameplay. You now have ammunition (heat sinks), global cooldown as well as less RPG features (loot and inventory management). I think it works quite well.

I played the PS3 demo and boy what a difference two and a half years make. It's like Bioware was experimenting with the first game. It's like they did an overhaul on both the gameplay and visuals. Do you suppose EA had alot to do with making the changes? Bioware is typically an RPG developer, and while they did skirt the bounds between action and RPG in the first game, they seem to have make philisophical compromises with ME2. I will say that the combat is alot more smooth this time around.

I'm glad that they kept the dialogue trees in the game though, as I feel that this feature gives this series its own distinct charm.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There's a bug wiping out save games and even HDDs.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/bioware-aware-of-ps3-mass-effect-2-save-bug

Posters on the developer’s official forums are complaining that game saves are becoming corrupted, with some players losing 30 hours of progress through the sci-fi epic which finally launched on PS3 last week, almost a year after its Xbox 360 and Windows debut.

Some users are even reporting not just corrupted saves, but entire systems, with hard disks becoming corrupted and needing reformatting.

“Just to make it clear, we are aware of this issue and are working to understand what is occurring and how we can fix it,” wrote BioWare’s Chris Priestly. “If you are encountering this issue, please provide details about your PS3 and your playthrough.”

X-Frame

Holy shit that is unreal!

Hope they can fix it but those already affected are so screwed. Everyone needs to back-ups their saves constantly it seems.

TheYanger

Crisis said:
Hey guys. Is it okay to start the game without having downloaded the Cerberus Network?

Of course it's 'ok' but if you've never played 1 you're gonna be super in the dark. Not that the comic is actually a big help either but it's better to have than not.

kai3345

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Finished.

Not really. Not much of an RPG if the stats don't mean anything

iratA

Wario64 said:

Posters on the developer’s official forums are complaining that game saves are becoming corrupted, with some players losing 30 hours of progress through the sci-fi epic which finally launched on PS3 last week, almost a year after its Xbox 360 and Windows debut.

Some users are even reporting not just corrupted saves, but entire systems, with hard disks becoming corrupted and needing reformatting.

“Just to make it clear, we are aware of this issue and are working to understand what is occurring and how we can fix it,” wrote BioWare’s Chris Priestly. “If you are encountering this issue, please provide details about your PS3 and your playthrough.”
WTF?! Seriously! This is absolute dog shit. Was going to be there day 1, but this is so wrong.

Dammit, Im scared to play it now. Im 12 hours in and having a blast but it would suck to lose it everything.

Is there away to backup all saves to a USB drive without going to every game and selecting?

anddo0

Wario64 said:

I didn't play today and won't be playing again until they fix this. I can deal with corrupted game saves (backups).. But entire hard drives? wtf?

anddo0

KoruptData said:
Dammit, Im scared to play it now. Im 12 hours in and having a blast but it would suck to lose it everything.

Is there away to backup all saves to a USB drive without going to every game and selecting?

NO.... Sony needs to fix this.. We can delete multiple files, but we can't copy multiple saves at once. Not to mention the protected ones. I wonder how bad it screws up your hard drive. Is it more than just game saves?

Grisby

anddo0 said:
NO.... Sony needs to fix this.. We can delete multiple files, but we can't copy multiple saves at once. Not to mention the protected ones. I wonder how bad it screws up your hard drive. Is it more than just game saves?

Same on 360. In that you can't copy the saves. I wish you could because they matter the most to me.

I don't get why Bioware did this, as in ME1 you could copy saves.

Ive read every page and ran into a post from someone at Bioware who said this:

Chris Priestly wrote...

Hello everyone.

We are aware that a small group of Playstation 3 users are getting corrupted saves while playing Mass Effect 2. We are aware of the issue and we are working on a patch to fix it. This issue is caused by too many level transitions within a single gaming session. Players who play for an extended period may encounter this issue.

In the mean time, there is a very simple work around to prevent this issue. Simply restart your game every few hours. By shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the corrupted save issue.

So take a break from Mass Effect2 by shutting down your game, say hello to your loved ones or take the dog for a walk and then restart and keep playing. /images/forum/emoticons/smile.png

Edit - Speak of the Devil, this was created 5 min ago. http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...d-saved-game-issue-work-around-5845607-1.html

Hello everyone

First, we are sorry some of you have had problems playing Mass Effect 2 on the Playstation 3 and want to thank you all for providing feedback on our forums on both the freezing and resulting save game issue that some of you have experienced. The information and support you have provided has helped the development team to build the latest patch. We’re currently testing the patch thoroughly, we expect to be finished our quality passes on Friday. This patch is then being delivered to Sony ASAP for verification and distribution. We will announce as soon the patch is available. Please see the below patch notes for a complete list of what will be included:

Patch Notes
-Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.
-Slightly improved load times and level streaming.
-Added some telemetry to better improve future titles.
-Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)
-Fixed the picture frame in Shepard’s Cabin to accurately reflect your love interest choices in Mass Effect: Genesis.
-Fixed a rare crash in the PSN version in Shepard’s Cabin.

We want you to be able to continue playing while you wait for the patch. While data and telemetry have shown that very few people have seen this issue, we know a few of you here have experienced this problem. There is a very simple work around to ensure the freezing and corruption issues are minimized. Simply restart your game every few hours. By shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the corrupted save issue.”

Once again, thank you for your feedback which has helped us get to a resolution.

I posted letting people know about potential corruption and everyone ignores it, Wario does and its a pandemic.

I hate you people.

In b4 "u mad"

LiK

Glad the patch improves loading too. And yes, I can't stand seeing Kaidan in my picture frame. Get my Liara back in, lol.

Looks like I'll play some other games while I wait for the patch.

jcm

I guess I lucked out. I played some really long sessions, and never had a corruption problem. I had a hard crash or two, and the video completely glitched once. Glad it didn't happen mid-save.

Wow, what a game though. Wish I had time for a second playthrough.

jcm said:
I guess I lucked out. I played some really long sessions, and never had a corruption problem. I had a hard crash or two, and the video completely glitched once. Glad it didn't happen mid-save.

Wow, what a game though. Wish I had time for a second playthrough.

Yeah, me too! I had some serious marathon type sessions and had no issues whatsoever. I plan on a second play through soon as a male paragon shep! My femshep renegade was a total bad ass adept!! I think I might do a Generic run next, with a default soldier male shep.

Swag

subversus said:
overreacting much? lol

Just a bit :(, but I was pretty pissed cause I have to replay the entire game again when ME3 comes out so I can have the perfect paragon save ready.

Just nabbed Mass Effect 2 on eBay sealed for 44 bucks. Comes in next week!

dm_110116_nfl_bart_scott.jpg

... to all the nonbelievers, TO ALL THE NONBELIEVERS... any game can have a glitch. ANY GAME CAN HAVE A GLITCH!

People give this game alot of hate, like this game is a crappy game when it won lots of awards. IT'S A DAMN GOOD VIDEO GAME!

People disrepecting this game, trying to talk crap about this game like it's the worst game ever. Like it's some 3rd-rate port when it won Game Of The Year honors from several sites. All we hear is about people trying to stop the hype this gam gets... THEY CAN'T STOP A NOSEBLEED!

How much gig is the PSN+ version of the game ? So tempting RIGHT NOW

Edit: it's about 12gb. Is the Cerberus network card include somehow with the PSN version ?

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
UnluckyKate said:
How much gig is the PSN+ version of the game ? So tempting RIGHT NOW

Edit: it's about 12gb. Is the Cerberus network card include somehow with the PSN version ?
CN (about 650 MB) should get queued up for DL with the main game when you buy it.

OK just beat it, game was spectacular. I'm going to go back in and finish up the DLC and side missions. After that I want to start a new career and try a different class. My only question is will that overwrite my current career? Will I be able to choose which one to import into ME 3?

X-Frame

TSAGoodness said:
OK just beat it, game was spectacular. I'm going to go back in and finish up the DLC and side missions. After that I want to start a new career and try a different class. My only question is will that overwrite my current career? Will I be able to choose which one to import into ME 3?

It won't overwrite the career. I think I have about 5 active careers right now that I can switch between at any time.

And importing from ME1 to ME2 for me is easy, you just pick the background you want to import -- so I assume it will be the same for ME3.

edgefusion

Finished it up last night at about 65 hours with doing virtually everything there is to do, including DLC. I played it pretty solidly and haven't run into any save corrupting bugs, sounds like I got lucky.

I'm glad they're doing something about the loading times because wow. Sometimes I just avoided visiting any of my crew members that weren't Mordin or Jacob because the loading time can reach close to a full minute on occasion.

edgefusion said:
Finished it up last night at about 65 hours with doing virtually everything there is to do, including DLC. I played it pretty solidly and haven't run into any save corrupting bugs, sounds like I got lucky.

I'm glad they're doing something about the loading times because wow. Sometimes I just avoided visiting any of my crew members that weren't Mordin or Jacob because the loading time can reach close to a full minute on occasion.

I just beat it in 26 hours, how are you guys getting 60 hours? I haven't done the DLC yet, I did all loyalty missions. Are there just a ton of side quests I missed? How do I find those?

Mr_Zombie

You have to scan planets. The moment you start scanning EDI will tell you whether or not there is something to do on the planet. Almost every system have a planet with some kind of mission - either recruitment/loyality mission, or a side-mission.

Mr_Zombie said:
You have to scan planets. The moment you start scanning EDI will tell you whether or not there is something to do on the planet. Almost every system have a planet with some kind of mission - either recruitment/loyality mission, or a side-mission.

Awesome, thanks! Can you find side missions on illium, omega, or the citadel too? Like real missions, not just dialog?

lucius

So I am more than halfway through playing on veteran and I think it is too easy, if I switch to hardcore I probably won't get the hardcore complete achievement right?

I think I will just start over on hardcore,but wondering about achievements.

Arjen

lucius said:
So I am more than halfway through playing on veteran and I think it is too easy, if I switch to hardcore I probably won't get the hardcore complete achievement right?

I think I will just start over on hardcore,but wondering about achievements.

I don't think there's an achievemnet for Hardcore, only Insanity.
And yes, you will have to start over, and never change the difficulty during your playtrough

Mr_Zombie said:

how many different planets approximately are there to visit in the game? 10? 20? 30?

i want to know in advance so i won't be disappointed if there's only a few planets heh.

Mr_Zombie

TSAGoodness said:
Awesome, thanks! Can you find side missions on illium, omega, or the citadel too? Like real missions, not just dialog?
To be honest, I don't remember, and I went through the game three times :D

But I think that besides loyality and recruitment missions, all mission on hub planets are just fetch quests, that is talk to someone and do something for the person (talk to him more, find an item, talk to someone else etc.).

Top Bottom