• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Patryn

astroturfing said:
how many different planets approximately are there to visit in the game? 10? 20? 30?

i want to know in advance so i won't be disappointed if there's only a few planets heh.

Counting just N7 missions, 19. Most take about 5-10 minutes to complete, but a couple of much shorter, and a couple are a bit longer.

Keep in mind also that planets in this game are nothing compared to the planets in ME1. ME2's planets are a few areas with almost no exploration.

Patryn said:
Counting just N7 missions, 19. Most take about 5-10 minutes to complete, but a couple of much shorter, and a couple are a bit longer.

Keep in mind also that planets in this game are nothing compared to the planets in ME1. ME2's planets are a few areas with almost no exploration.

ok thanks.. sounds alright to me.

i'm fine with minimal exploration, because i'm playing New Vegas right now and it has waaaaaaaaayyyy too much exploration lol. can't wait for a more cohesive streamlined RPG experience. but i think it will still take 2-3 weeks to complete New Vegas... fucking game is too big and i only have a couple hours every day to play.

it's so hard having Mass Effect 2 sitting on my table just waiting... every time New Vegas crashes (which is every time i play it), i just want to throw it at a wall and pop in ME2. but i'm a completionist so i have to finish the main plot at least. fuck my life :(

Eccocid

around 35 hours no bugs so far..I have been playing it last week non stop! finally finished all loyalty missions , next is shadow broker and few small N7 missions before i go to omega 4 relay.
By the way i am pretty sure i got loyalty for Jack but now she is not loyal to me anymore? she was arguing with Miranda and i picked up Miranda..Is that why i lost her loyalty?

Patryn said:

I shed a single tear for the moon in ME1 :'(

sam27368

Banned
Eccocid said:
around 35 hours no bugs so far..I have been playing it last week non stop! finally finished all loyalty missions , next is shadow broker and few small N7 missions before i go to omega 4 relay.
By the way i am pretty sure i got loyalty for Jack but now she is not loyal to me anymore? she was arguing with Miranda and i picked up Miranda..Is that why i lost her loyalty?
Yup

edgefusion

astroturfing said:
ok thanks.. sounds alright to me.

i'm fine with minimal exploration, because i'm playing New Vegas right now and it has waaaaaaaaayyyy too much exploration lol. can't wait for a more cohesive streamlined RPG experience. but i think it will still take 2-3 weeks to complete New Vegas... fucking game is too big and i only have a couple hours every day to play.

it's so hard having Mass Effect 2 sitting on my table just waiting... every time New Vegas crashes (which is every time i play it), i just want to throw it at a wall and pop in ME2. but i'm a completionist so i have to finish the main plot at least. fuck my life :(

Man forget New Vegas and play ME2! Go back to Fallout when you've completed Mass Effect if you still feel like it but don't torture yourself on a bug-ridden mess of a game when you have something much much better waiting to be played.

I got thinking about the Mass Effect universe today and a question popped in my head I couldn't remember...
Is it ever clarified why the Collectors were specifically targeting humans? I know they were being controlled by the Reapers, but the Reapers want to extinguish all life correct? So why specifically target the humans in the events of ME2? Just to get back at them for killing Sovereign?

Patryn

ToyMachine228 said:
I got thinking about the Mass Effect universe today and a question popped in my head I couldn't remember...
Is it ever clarified why the Collectors were specifically targeting humans? I know they were being controlled by the Reapers, but the Reapers want to extinguish all life correct? So why specifically target the humans in the events of ME2? Just to get back at them for killing Sovereign?

Because humans are SPECIAL and the GREATEST SUPEREST species in the universe.

Serious answer: Probably because the Reapers are curious because we killed one of them, and have decided that we are the most optimal species to utilize to make a new Reaper.

It's a terrible, terrible plot point.

Mifune

Mehmber
So what's everyone's favorite loyalty mission?

Mine's
Tali's
by a mile. Perfectly paced, executed, with a poignant conclusion.

Worst is
Grunt's
. Arena battles hooray.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Mifune said:

Mine's
Tali's

Worst is
Grunt's
. Arena battles hooray.

Mine is Zaeed Massani's mission because of what he does at the end.

Worst is Jacob Taylor's mission since i hated the whole thing.

Duderz

Banned
Patryn said:
Because humans are SPECIAL and the GREATEST SUPEREST species in the universe.

Serious answer: Probably because the Reapers are curious because we killed one of them, and have decided that we are the most optimal species to utilize to make a new Reaper.

It's a terrible, terrible plot point.

It's really not - I seem to remember it being said in either game that humanity also gained their attention by joining and becoming such a force to be reckoned with on the Citadel and Council politics. Dunno why, but the whole Terminator thing never really bugged me, probably because the mission you just went through was so well done.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Duderz said:
It's really not - I seem to remember it being said in either game that humanity also gained their attention by joining and becoming such a force to be reckoned with on the Citadel and Council politics. Dunno why, but the whole Terminator thing never really bugged me, probably because the mission you just went through was so well done.

I dont side with the whole 'harvesting humans to make a Reaper' hate. I didn't really like the execution, but the idea of the Reapers harvesting organic species as a means of 'reproducing', and thus building a human Reaper, was fine.

What I didn't like, as well as what I assume a lot of other pepple hated, was how the game puts humanity on a pedestal, often falling back in meaningless 'genetic' excuses. Mordin says something stupid like "Humans are more genetically diverse", whatever the hell that means, and the quotes from Harbinger during combat imply the Reapers are not interested in other species for genetic reasons.

Its one thing for them to say "Humans have kicked our arses, Shepard is boss, thus we're going to target humans as they seem pretty touhg", but its another to say "Humans have better genetics and thus are a super race of awesome". Its cheap and tacky.

kai3345

Banned
Mifune said:

Mine's
Tali's

Worst is
Grunt's
. Arena battles hooray.
Best: Samara's because you get to
kill that
bitch.

Worst: Thane's. Nothing happened

EatChildren said:
I dont side with the whole 'harvesting humans to make a Reaper' hate. I didn't really like the execution, but the idea of the Reapers harvesting organic species as a means of 'reproducing', and thus building a human Reaper, was fine.

What I didn't like, as well as what I assume a lot of other pepple hated, was how the game puts humanity on a pedestal, often falling back in meaningless 'genetic' excuses. Mordin says something stupid like "Humans are more genetically diverse", whatever the hell that means, and the quotes from Harbinger during combat imply the Reapers are not interested in other species for genetic reasons.

Its one thing for them to say "Humans have kicked our arses, Shepard is boss, thus we're going to target humans as they seem pretty touhg", but its another to say "Humans have better genetics and thus are a super race of awesome". Its cheap and tacky.

The thing that pissed me off is that the Reapers were a lot more menacing when there was no real motivation behind what they did. Now that I find them needing organic material to reproduce, Sovereign's whole spiel about being unknowable and organic lifeforms being an accident seems laughable in hindsight.

Duderz

Banned
EatChildren said:

See, I didn't get that from the game at all - just as humanity was fostering animosity and a reputation for being reckless among other species, they joined the Citadel in record numbers in record time, achieved the rank of Specters before anyone else, and also joined the Council after a devastating loss for the Reapers, which surely got their attention. I remember Mordin's talk about human genetics, but I don't remember Harbinger saying they're not interested in other species...I only remember him taunting Shepard? Either way, I think the Reapers are more interested in humanity simply because they have made more progress faster than other species upon discovering the Mass Relays, and thus pose the bigger threat than any other; not so much because we're so genetically "different".

Equus Bellator Apex

ToyMachine228 said:

Humans showed that they were capable of killing one. The reapers basically wanted to kill two birds with one stone.

1. Reproduce

2.Eliminate their greatest threat

Duderz said:
See, I didn't get that from the game at all - just as humanity was fostering animosity and a reputation for being reckless among other species, they joined the Citadel in record numbers in record time, achieved the rank of Specters before anyone else, and also joined the Council after a devastating loss for the Reapers, which surely got their attention. I remember Mordin's talk about human genetics, but I don't remember Harbinger saying they're not interested in other species...I only remember him taunting Shepard? Either way, I think the Reapers are more interested in humanity simply because they have made more progress faster than other species upon discovering the Mass Relays, and thus pose the bigger threat than any other; not so much because we're so genetically "different".

Harbinger's reasoning for choosing humans over everyone else:

“Quarian; considered due to cybernetic augmentation, weakened immune system too debilitating.”

“Drell; useless, insufficient numbers.”

“Human; viable possibility, aggression factor useful if controlled.”

“Asari; reliance upon alien species for reproduction shows genetic weakness.”

“Salarian; insufficient lifespan, fragile genetic structure.”

“Human; viable possibility, impressive genetic malleability.”

“Geth; an annoyance, limited utility.”

“Human; viable possibility, impressive technical potential.”

“Human; viable possibility, if emotional drives are subjugated.”

“Human; viable possibility, great biotic potential.”

“Krogan; sterilised race, potential wasted.”

“Turian; you are considered...too primitive.”

Duderz

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

“Quarian; considered due to cybernetic augmentation, weakened immune system too debilitating.”

Man, I completely missed this in the game - all of this took place during combat? I'd better turn the subtitles on. Either way, it doesn't bug me much at all that they're basically playing up humanity above the other races; the reasoning why they wouldn't choose other species is sound, save for the Turians.

Duderz said:
Man, I completely missed this in the game - when did this conversation take place?? Either way, it doesn't bug me much at all that they're basically playing up humanity above the other races; the reasoning why they wouldn't choose other species is sound, save for the Turians.

The reasoning for Asari is pretty questionable too. Also one wonders what life-span or immune systems have to do with nondescript sterilized space goo.

It's in the Collector Base. I think he randomly spouts this while you're fighting. It depends on who is in your party though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My issue of Evolution arrived today.

Why do the humans call the turians turians? Why do the turians call the humans humans?

How can they even talk?

Stupid comic.

raphier

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

Sounds like a lot of biased opinions toward humans. I don't think human is that perfect ,come one! It's clear writers wanted excuses :p

Human: Irregular genetic data, too much variables as in species.

Human: Parasite-driven disposition. Conflicting vulnerability.

Human: Capricious vermin. Exceeds threshold control. Acceptable.

That's more like it.

Finished it up t'other night. Gained loyalty with everyone cept that bitch Miranda (your loss babe). 100% the systems, did all the side planet missions and DLC. 33 hours. Really enjoyed it but I think it started to get a little tedious for me a bit after the mid point. I quite enjoyed mining the planets at first but I didn't realise I wasn't going to need anywhere near the amount I harvested lol I think I massed supplies of 300k for everything except eezo. Oops!

Load times were way too long. Especially on the ship, made me not want to visit about much. Graphics were very nice, but I think the faces, while detailed, lack emotion and lip syncing is just bad. Didn't really think any of the characters stood out a lot and were very memorable, even Shepard I didn't exactly relate with as a main character. But the story kept me interested none the less. There was the odd sound glitch, like out of sync sound in the FMV or characters just suddenly stopping before they finished the last word. But nothing seriously game breaking.

I personally think this is the best WRPG I've played by a country mile and can't wait for 3.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Humans showed that they were capable of killing one. The reapers basically wanted to kill two birds with one stone.

1. Reproduce

2.Eliminate their greatest threat
Pretty much.
"These guys have the most going for them: taking them out will weaken the rest significantly. Molding them into our own image will help us kick even more ass in the future."

Duderz said:

This. I thought of the Reapers as an all powerful, all crushing enemy. To see them shaping their strategy based on what humans do shows...They're not so all powerful. It's similar to how I felt about the Covenant. In Halo: CE, I felt like the Covenant were an amazingly powerful foe. Once you get a look into what the Covenant is in Halo 2, you don't feel that way anymore. You feel like they are dumber than humanity and are only intimidating because of their numbers.

I just finished by third playthrough of this game yesterday (360 version). I played through on Insanity using a Vanguard (my first experience with both). It was rough going at first, but once I was able to level up the biotic charge and get a better handle on how to use it things started going a lot more smoothly. Eventually, a lot of the missions started seeming easier than they were on Hardcore (although certain sections were hell), and I can see why people like the Vanguard class.

Mifune said:
My favorite is
Legion's
. I liked the pseudo-stealth element early on, and I really enjoyed the part where you have to defend that position.

Least favorite is
Miranda's
, but that may have to do with the fact that I don't really like her that much (as a character, I used her on my squad plenty).

Apparently this is the second alternate appearance pack:
banner.png

IoCaster

This is a surprisingly candid post by Dusty Everman on the BioWare forums that I thought was interesting.

I have such mixed feelings when I hear the criticisms of Kelly not being flushed(sic) out as much as she should have been, or offense of her cabin dancing, or lack of a true romance scene. On one hand, it’s great that people care enough to want things different or to want more. On the other hand, she almost didn’t happen at all, so there’s more there than I had originally expected. I’ll let you in on a bit of ME2 development history.

ME2 was a very large scale project. Every department was heavily tasked to get a polished product out the door. Due to its nature, the Normandy came in a bit later than other levels. When it came time to flush(sic) out the Normandy’s light characters and plots, the writers and cinematic designers were fully tasked. There were discussions where Kelly (at least the part beyond “You have email” or “Such-and-such wants to speak to you”), Doctor Chakwas, Engineer Donnelly and Daniels, and Mess Sergeant Gardner were on the chopping block (and there were other characters that did get cut). In the end, a level designer did the writing for those characters, not a writer, and most of the cinematic design work for those characters was done afterhours by passionate cine designers. They were pretty much created after work hours as a labor of love by all involved.

From a development point of view, the real purpose for those light characters was to give meaning to the choice of going through the Omega-4 relay early or waiting. It was supposed to be something like the Ash/Kaidan choice in ME1. Do you save your Normandy crew but risk your squad mates and the entire mission, or do you prepare more but potentially sacrifice the crew. We kind of failed at this goal on two accounts. 1. That decision wasn’t clear. 2. We gave the ability to save everyone if you did the mission order just right. But the light crew members were there in an attempt to give you someone to care about. If you don’t like the flirty, optimistic yeoman, hopefully you like your old Doctor friend, or the joking engineers, or the brash cook. Hopefully there is at least one of those you care about to make the choice to go through the Omega-4 relay early a compelling one.

The light romance with Kelly was bonus. It would have been great to do the dinner in detail, but covering every type of relationship that Shepard might have with Kelly was just not feasible. Everyone has their own version in their head of what happened during that dinner, and you all are correct. To actually implement every version was just not possible, and even if there was development time that time would probably have been better spent flushing(sic) out your main squad members. Maybe the dinner shouldn’t have been in there at all then, but that’s a whole other discussion.

The cabin cuddles with Kelly and all the love interests, as well as her playful dancing, were all a last minute addition, done just a week before content lockdown. VO had been locked down long before, hence why they are all silent. Should they have even gone in? Once again, that’s a whole other discussion.

So when is the best time to do Lair of the Shadow Broker? Upon beating the game, you get all that extra dialog with Liara and it just feels like it should be done post-game. But then all the stuff you get is only useful to you in the main game. What a conundrum.

Subitai

IoCaster said:
This is a surprisingly candid post by Dusty Everman on the BioWare forums that I thought was interesting.
Wow ya, that's interesting.
When your crew gets taken, the first character I thought of was Chakwas. I was like, "No! Are you really gonna take her Bioware?" Fortunately I was paranoid and obsessed with doing all the main content and therefore all the loyalty stuff.

Wait:
did I have the option to save my entire crew (not my squad mates), people like Kelly, and the egineers? I prepared pretty welll before I went through the Omega 4 relay. Mordin and Jack died, but I didn't really care about them. Could I have saved my ship crew though? After that Joker mission they were all dead. The only one I found at the collector world was Dr Chakwas.

Rufus

TSAGoodness said:
Wait:
did I have the option to save my entire crew (not my squad mates), people like Kelly, and the egineers? I prepared pretty welll before I went through the Omega 4 relay. Mordin and Jack died, but I didn't really care about them. Could I have saved my ship crew though? After that Joker mission they were all dead. The only one I found at the collector world was Dr Chakwas.
Yes.

hemtae

TSAGoodness said:
Wait:

Yes, you had to go right after everybody got kidnapped (actually I think you could have done one mission but I'm not sure about that)

TSAGoodness said:
Wait:

Yes, your crew could have been rescued. In order to save all of your crew, you need to use the Omega 4 relay immediately after returning to the Normandy from the contrived plot device excursion.

scarybore

ColonelColon said:
Apparently this is the second alternate appearance pack:
banner.png

I shouldn't buy it but I daresay I will. Garrus' alternate outfit was the only one I liked in the last pack.

Indeed it was, I would love to hear more of the development of the series after Mass Effect 3 is released.

edgefusion

Grunts outfit looks quite cool. I know I shouldn't buy dumb stuff like this but inevitably I'm going to because I am a sucker. I hope they put out a shirtless Jacob alt outfit.

IoCaster

TSAGoodness said:
Wait:

Yes.
Get everything done (recruitment+loyalty missions) before you go after the Reaper IFF. Once you've done that mission and are back on the Normandy there are two paths to take. The first is to immediately activate and talk to Legion. That will initiate his loyalty mission so that it's out of the way before the crew gets abducted. The second path is to go to the galaxy map without talking to Legion. This will result in the Collectors invading your ship and grabbing your crew. If you do any mission (one that results in a mission complete screen) after this happens you will lose half of your crew, including with Kelly. If you do three missions after the abduction, you will lose all of your ships crew except for Dr.Chakwas.

jcm

I wish they'd come out with alternate casual outfits for Shephard. She's running around the ship in a cocktail dress, because the others are so ugly.

IoCaster

edgefusion said:
Grunts outfit looks quite cool. I know I shouldn't buy dumb stuff like this but inevitably I'm going to because I am a sucker. I hope they put out a shirtless Jacob alt outfit.

Yes, no doubt. *backs away slowly, nodding agreeably*

Played this from about 6 till 10 est today with no glitches. Thanks to the gods! Only at about 12 hours I think. Great so far about to start the Overlord DLC I think, its kinda creepy so might save it for later.

Top Bottom