• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Debut Trailer - Holiday 2011 - 360/PS3/PC

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nirolak said:
That guy isn't a BioWare employee.

He's been wrong a lot there.

Yeah, his post was edited to include:

"Edit: Earlier today one of BioWare’s volunteer moderators answered a question about the possibility of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. That statement was not official. BioWare has not discussed any features for Mass Effect 3. We look forward to sharing more next year."

Which means it'll have multiplayer. :p

Kurtofan

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, his post was edited to include:

"Edit: Earlier today one of BioWare’s volunteer moderators answered a question about the possibility of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. That statement was not official. BioWare has not discussed any features for Mass Effect 3. We look forward to sharing more next year."

Which means it'll have multiplayer. :p
What?no it doesn't.

Plasma

Banned
I wouldn't be too bothered about MP anyway, as long as it's like Uncharted 2 and doesn't have any impact on the single player.

Lakitu

st5fu
Do they honestly expect to build up a multi-player fanbase in the third entry of a primarily single-player trilogy, around such competition like Gears of War, Uncharted 3 and the next COD?

WTF Bioware?!?

this seems like such a cool series. can't wait to get into it next month when ME2 launches on PS3. i do hope that ME3 doesn't take place just on earth though... i mean there are enough other games already that are stuck on this planet. let me explore the galaxy more!

Arjen

astroturfing said:
WTF Bioware?!?

this seems like such a cool series. can't wait to get into it next month when ME2 launches on PS3. i do hope that ME3 doesn't take place just on earth though... i mean there are enough other games already that are stuck on this planet. let me explore the galaxy more!

What makes you think it will be on earth only?
It will probably be the endgame.
Calm the fuck down people, we hardly know anything about the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
astroturfing said:

Galaxy travel was an important component of both game's structure. Even the shitty iPhone game had players travel between planets. There is no way in hell the entire Mass Effect 3 game takes place exclusively on Earth.

EatChildren said:
Galaxy travel was an important component of both game's structure. Even the shitty iPhone game had players travel between planets. There is no way in hell the entire Mass Effect 3 game takes place exclusively on Earth.

ok, good! i kinda felt that i was being an idiot.

Plasma said:
I wouldn't be too bothered about MP anyway, as long as it's like Uncharted 2 and doesn't have any impact on the single player.

The key point, MP is fine if a studio feels it needs to impliment it, though I thought sales of ME and ME2 were pretty damn good that it wasn't needed. I can't complain about MP if the single player maintains the same quality of the last two.

My biggest concern is if they release a MP element and it's just OK how long will people play it. I haven't checked but are the community's on Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 still strong or have people pretty much stopped playing online?

Lime

There hasn't been any confirmation of who the lead writer on this? Mac Walters came across as a kind of douche and I mostly hold him responsible for the clusterfuck main plot of Space Jesus & Gang vs. Collectors. Drew Karpyshyn should have more to say this time around, imo.

Kittonwy

Banned
Plasma said:

How would you do all the tech and biotic powers in MP without pausing? That means you either don't do player vs player in MP or you do it in a way that will play differently than SP, or if you want to have consistent gameplay mechanics across the board, you would have to change the SP.

EatChildren said:

The overall exploration would be much more consistent with contiguous levels than things are currently in ME2 where it's like you drive to different malls and visit one store each, even ME1 felt a bit bigger because the player got to roam around in the mako tank.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lime said:
There hasn't been any confirmation of who the lead writer on this? Mac Walters came across as a kind of douche and I mostly hold him responsible for the clusterfuck main plot of Space Jesus & Gang vs. Collectors. Drew Karpyshyn should have more to say this time around, imo.

I assume its Walters. I dont think it is fair to blame Walters specifically for ME2's story problems. Games like this have multiple writers working at any one time, and Karpyshyn was still involved. ME2's main plot suffered, but its not like Karpyshyn is individually much better. ME2's character writing leaves Karpyshyn's work for dead, and Karpyshyn's characterisation in the novels is pretty terrible (Kahlee is the ultimate Mary-Sue).

Kittonwy said:
The overall exploration would be much more consistent with contiguous levels than things are currently in ME2 where it's like you drive to different malls and visit one store each, even ME1 felt a bit bigger because the player got to roam around in the mako tank.

Im not talking about the structure of exploration, I'm talking specifically about galaxy travel. It wont be removed in ME3, with the game instead taking place entirely on Earth, because that would be mental and out of pace with the rest of the series.

Massa

Clockblockers said:
The key point, MP is fine if a studio feels it needs to impliment it, though I thought sales of ME and ME2 were pretty damn good that it wasn't needed. I can't complain about MP if the single player maintains the same quality of the last two.

My biggest concern is if they release a MP element and it's just OK how long will people play it. I haven't checked but are the community's on Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 still strong or have people pretty much stopped playing online?

Uncharted 2 is still strong, Bioshock 2's online community didn't catch on at all. It was hard to find games less than a month after release.

Jerk

Banned
As with DA2, I will reserve harsh judgment until I play the game, but...

EatChildren said:
I assume its Walters. I dont think it is fair to blame Walters specifically for ME2's story problems. Games like this have multiple writers working at any one time, and Karpyshyn was still involved. ME2's main plot suffered, but its not like Karpyshyn is individually much better. ME2's character writing leaves Karpyshyn's work for dead, and Karpyshyn's characterisation in the novels is pretty terrible (Kahlee is the ultimate Mary-Sue).

In defence of drew, he does decent VG work. He simply cannot write a novel to save his life.

Mashing

Larson Conway said:
I'm sure the Earth being supposedly such an important place will be justified.

Yeah really, I don't see why the Turians, Krogans, Salarians would give a shit about earth. If they were going to do something Human centric they should have done something about the First Contact War. That'll probably end up being a prequel spinoff though. The reapers attacking Earth is rather anticlimatic. How does destroying Earth put the entire Galaxy in peril? The Humans are not the most powerful force in the Galaxy. Hopefully Earth is just the finale to something bigger (like the Reapers wiping out one of the other major races or finally destroying the Citadel--with the keepers help).

Arjen

Maybe the Reapers left some important tech on Earth, that could be a reason why other species should care about it being destroyed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kittonwy said:
How would you do all the tech and biotic powers in MP without pausing? That means you either don't do player vs player in MP or you do it in a way that will play differently than SP, or if you want to have consistent gameplay mechanics across the board, you would have to change the SP.
Good thing PC has hotkeys that easily allow them to allow of a classes powers at once!

:lol :lol :lol

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
<3 hot keys

but i would suspect they would use the d-pad and limit you to four powers

I don't know about the timed response, I'm kind of against it at this point, I like to think about my choices and this is "turning" ME into more of a action game instead of a RPG for me :(

Mashing said:
Yeah really, I don't see why the Turians, Krogans, Salarians would give a shit about earth. If they were going to do something Human centric they should have done something about the First Contact War. That'll probably end up being a prequel spinoff though. The reapers attacking Earth is rather anticlimatic. How does destroying Earth put the entire Galaxy in peril? The Humans are not the most powerful force in the Galaxy. Hopefully Earth is just the finale to something bigger (like the Reapers wiping out one of the other major races or finally destroying the Citadel--with the keepers help).

A suggestion I saw mentioned here earlier that I'd like to see would be the Reapers just casually wiping out Earth just to spite Shepard for being the thorn in their side during an early stage in the game. Though I'd certainly like to see Mass Effects depiction of Earth pre-invastion as well as the aftermath.

Unfortunately it sounds as if it's going to comply with the standard Bioware formula of going to area A,B and C in any order to gain or destroy some potential allies and squad mates then proceed to directly to endgame D, saving Earth. Even if it does take the seemingly predictable route I can't see myself not buying it and enjoying it every step of the way, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed to a certain degree. Still, it's early days, all we've got to go on is a brief teaser trailer so I could be completely off the mark and I'd certainly be happy if that were the case.

Wallach

Lostconfused said:
Oh god I just had a horrible thought.

What it Ashely/Kaiden get magically brought back from the dead by the reapers to kill Sheppard.

/shudder

I will seriously pay double for this game if they give me the ability to fucking wreck Kaidan's shit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MMaRsu said:
Wait, is it true this game takes place solely on earth? If so no damn sale.
What, why would you think that? The trailer confirms that it doesn't by the narrator bitching about Shepherd not yet arriving to save them yet.

MechaX

Lostconfused said:
Oh god I just had a horrible thought.

What if Ashely/Kaiden get magically brought back from the dead by the reapers to kill Sheppard.

/shudder

Don't give Bioware ideas, even if I would love the chance to beat up on Kaiden/Carth. I mean, I've already had my recent fill of this kind of plot-twist in the most recent chapters of Naruto (albeit, on a much grander and much more stupid scale, but still).

MMaRsu said:
Wait, is it true this game takes place solely on earth? If so no damn sale.

I think everybody's money is on the "Travel across Space Ferelden, raise an army, go back to Earth in the end game to defeat the Space Archdemon Reaper" approach.

Gui_PT

Guise, important Mass Effect 2 question. Is is possible to nail Miranda without Jack dying? Because the little emo girl goes emo-er if I defend Miranda after Jack's loyalty mission =\

Chinner

Banned
im going to play mass effect 1 and it's going to fuck own. i mean seriously mass effect 1 gotg. on xmas eve. gonna be like saren stop! and saren is like i hate humans and im like argh im so motivated right now.

then i will play mass effect 2 afterwards and get really depressed :(

Gui_PT said:
Guise, important Mass Effect 2 question. Is is possible to nail Miranda without Jack dying? Because the little emo girl goes emo-er if I defend Miranda after Jack's loyalty mission =\

You have to have Paragon or Renegade high enough to use those options to diffuse the fight without upsetting either. So either leave that loyalty mission to last or find a way to farm Paragon/Renegade enough.

You'll have one more similar 'fight' between crew members where Loyalty is at stake before the end of the game, but that one comes so late you'll probably have enough to stop the fight.

Even then, you should in theory be able to go into the final mission without Jack loyal and keep her alive if you make the right choices at the end - but I'm not sure what you'd have to do there, sorry.

MMaRsu

Banned
Chinner said:
im going to play mass effect 1 and it's going to fuck own. i mean seriously mass effect 1 gotg. on xmas eve. gonna be like saren stop! and saren is like i hate humans and im like argh im so motivated right now.

then i will play mass effect 2 afterwards and get really depressed :(

:lol

Gui_PT

APZonerunner said:
You have to have Paragon or Renegade high enough to use those options to diffuse the fight without upsetting either. So either leave that loyalty mission to last or find a way to farm Paragon/Renegade enough.

You'll have one more similar 'fight' between crew members where Loyalty is at stake before the end of the game, but that one comes so late you'll probably have enough to stop the fight.

Even then, you should in theory be able to go into the final mission without Jack loyal and keep her alive if you make the right choices at the end - but I'm not sure what you'd have to do there, sorry.

That's weird, I had my Paragon almost maxed out and I think I chose the Paragon action to end the fight but then Miranda just lost interest. What a bitch.

Next time I'll leave her loyalty mission to last just to be sure. Thanks.

Chinner

Banned
29y5oc0.jpg

MechaX said:
I think everybody's money is on the "Travel across Space Ferelden, raise an army, go back to Earth in the end game to defeat the Space Archdemon Reaper" approach.
I just realized something. Don't tell me we'll have to pick between Geth or Quarians, Krogan or Turians, etc.

How lame would that be?

Kurtofan

Ignis Fatuus said:
I just realized something. Don't tell me we'll have to pick between Geth or Quarians, Krogan or Turians, etc.

How lame would that be?
Choices in my RPG?
OH NOES

Seriously though, we don't know anything except that we are going to roam the galaxy looking for help.
Tensions between Geht and Quarians are predictable, but we don't know how that'll play out yet.

Chinner

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:

How lame would that be?
pretty lame, and incredibly predictable. we'll probably even get a upper left paragon option to put their differences aside.

Somtaaw

Banned
Chinner said:
pretty lame, and incredibly predictable. we'll probably even get a upper left paragon option to put their differences aside.

Lame or not i want the turian councilor dismiss the reapers so i can punch him on the face with renegade interrupt. :D

Jerk 2.0 said:
(Magic Coloured Text).
Now hold on there. Magic colored text can be awesome if used properly. I won't stand for this disparaging talk of magic colored text just because Mass Effect 2 is giving it a bad name.

Kurtofan

Jerk 2.0 said:
Those choices are lame because they are predictable, but they are still better than the alternative (Magic Coloured Text).
We know that Geth and Quarians hate each other since the first game, of course it is predictable.
I don't see how that makes it bad.

Jerk

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Now hold on there. Magic colored text can be awesome if used properly. I won't stand for this disparaging talk of magic colored text just because Mass Effect 2 is giving it a bad name.

:lol

EatChildren

Kurtofan said:
We know that Geth and Quarians hate each other since the first game, of course it is predictable.
I don't see how that makes it bad.

Only the Quarians harbour a grudge against the Geth. The Geth are pretty chill.

Top Bottom