• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Cinematic trailer

Why do the characters faces/heads look odd? I can't pinpoint what it is. It's like cartoony as if it's an animated movie for children and certain aspects are over emphasized. This characters hair for example looks so perfect/shiny.

It's almost like looking at the Star Wars cartoons.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If they started but couldn't get him/her to fit in the production schedule, they could always recycle the content and integrate it into the inevitable DLC.

That's my hope right now. The way they made it sound was that he was in development a good deal but they hit a point where they couldn't cover all of them and he just happened to have the least work done at that point so he got the axe.

I would actually prefer they add more permanent Squadmates like Zaeed and Kasumi, but have them come attached to major DLC content like Shadow Broker or Overlord and so on rather than just their rinky dink personal missions. So you can acquire them earlier in the game and have them go on all the main game missions, but they have direct links and involvement in whatever the DLC content adds on.

While I certainly didn't mind having Nyreen and Aria as squadmates in Omega, it would have been cooler to have gotten another full time squadmate. As long as they don't pull another Javik I'm fine with DLC characters.

HoodWinked

Why do the characters faces/heads look odd? I can't pinpoint what it is. It's like cartoony as if it's an animated movie for children and certain aspects are over emphasized. This characters hair for example looks so perfect/shiny.

Shepard looks so much better and more realistic. Mass Effect has always had some goofy looking characters (especially women) but this one looks worse. Before it seemed like technical limitations and this one seems like purposeful design.

they're more stylized like uncharted this way they can get away with animations without making them go into the uncanny valley. mass effect always had fairly poor facial animation. a quick google search turns up that former naughty dog cinematics director was hired at bioware austin which makes this direction make even more sense.

eot

Banned
they're more stylized like uncharted this way they can get away with animations without making them go into the uncanny valley. mass effect always had fairly poor facial animation. a quick google search turns up that former naughty dog cinematics director was hired at bioware austin which makes this direction make even more sense.

BioWare Austin only works on TOR, I thought?

VicViper

Not sure if posted yet, but the ESRB "Rating Pending" Icon in the trailer should be a huge reason for concern about the game's release window.

Typically, you need a final ESRB rating before entering first party submission and, well, if Andromeda isn't already in submission at this stage it will very likely miss the March release date.

prag16

Banned
Not sure if posted yet, but the ESRB "Rating Pending" Icon in the trailer should be a huge reason for concern about the game's release window.

Typically, you need a final ESRB rating before entering first party submission and, well, if Andromeda isn't already in submission at this stage it will very likely miss the March release date.

This means nothing. They have a couple weeks at least before they have to go gold. And I believe I believe it was reported somewhere that it's already been rated in at least one other country.

The game won't miss the release date. Shinobi indicated as much as well.

I swear it seems like people get off on predicting delays or something. There are people doing it in every thread for every game almost.

EDIT: Here's what I was thinking of; Australia; already been rated MA15+ over a week ago: http://www.justpushstart.com/2017/0...a-rated-australia-strong-sex-scenes-violence/

Pacotez

I'm sad they had to cut the Salarian squadmate. It would have been nice to get another alien and seen another side to the Salarians, like a Captain Kirrahe type vs the quirky Mordin.

But hey our pilot Kallo will likely have some solid development. So we aren't totally bereft of Salarians.

Whaaaat
Hopefully that comes later as a DLC

That's my hope right now. The way they made it sound was that he was in development a good deal but they hit a point where they couldn't cover all of them and he just happened to have the least work done at that point so he got the axe.

I would actually prefer they add more permanent Squadmates like Zaeed and Kasumi, but have them come attached to major DLC content like Shadow Broker or Overlord and so on rather than just their rinky dink personal missions. So you can acquire them earlier in the game and have them go on all the main game missions, but they have direct links and involvement in whatever the DLC content adds on.

While I certainly didn't mind having Nyreen and Aria as squadmates in Omega, it would have been cooler to have gotten another full time squadmate. As long as they don't pull another Javik I'm fine with DLC characters.
Aria and Nyreen were great for temporary squadmates. I loved the Omega DLC.

Do we have a concrete number of full time squadmates confirmed? I haven't seen that stated anywhere yet.

prag16

Banned
Whaaaat
Hopefully that comes later as a DLC

That'd be cool. But I'm hoping nothing CRUCIAL comes as DLC this time around. From Ashes and Leviathan should 100% have been in the main game for ME3.

For ME2, I didn't have any problem really with the DLCs. Lair of the Shadow Broker was great, but it at least made some sense as a side story rather than From Ashes and Leviathan, which included absolutely essential lore which connected directly with the main story.

Do we have a concrete number of full time squadmates confirmed? I haven't seen that stated anywhere yet.

They've confirmed Peebee, Liam, Cora, Drack, Vetra, and the bunny/twilek hybrid whose name is escaping me right now... Jaal or something?

So six in total. Shinobi seemed to indicate that is all we get for the main game, but not sure if that's 100% confirmed.

prag16

Banned
Considering that
the true ending to
DA:I was dlc, I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Eh, I don't have automatically have a huge problem with post-game/epilogue DLC. As long as the base game ending doesn't retroactively feel pointless/worthless as a result. I never made it all the way through DA:I (made it out of the hinterlands, but by then I was so burned out I abandoned it soon after intending to get back to it, but never did) so I didn't experience this first hand.

diaspora

Eh, I don't have automatically have a huge problem with post-game/epilogue DLC. As long as the base game ending doesn't retroactively feel pointless/worthless as a result. I never made it all the way through DA:I (made it out of the hinterlands, but by then I was so burned out I abandoned it soon after intending to get back to it, but never did) so I didn't experience this first hand.

The ending to Inquisition was fine. Showed who the real villain was for the next game and what the fight would be. Trespasser both fleshed out a lot of stuff that was already in the base game and offered great character moments.

At this point I kinda wish BioWare would just do an MP blowout and reveal the System Requirements for PC. I don't really mind the "generic" look of either Ryder, if only because customization is such a "name of the game" for your character in Mass Effect that it doesn't bother me much.

Then again, OG Shep's appearance was so weirdly iconic. I'm quite excited to get to know another cast of characters...I just hope the overall pacing of conversations is somehow snappier than say DA Inq (different series, I know, but y'know) which feels like things are glacially paced.

Lady Gaia

The ending to Inquisition was fine. Showed who the real villain was for the next game and what the fight would be. Trespasser both fleshed out a lot of stuff that was already in the base game and offered great character moments.

If anything, Trespasser felt more like a prologue to the next Dragon Age than something missing at the end of Inquisition. I have no problems at all with the story arc of Inquisition without DLC and enjoyed the companion stories even more. It was the very generic antagonist that felt like the biggest disappointment for me. The largely optional fetch quests were, um, largely optional and didn't really interfere with my enjoyment.

dEvAnGeL

It's a big part of the branding but... if Alec Ryder is important to the story it'll still be visible. The guy is on the cover of the game.
with an N7 armor...
Mass-Effect-Andromeda-600x844.jpg

hence my question

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alec is an early N7 operative and was one of the first to go through the Charon Relay with John Grissom.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It sucks that the trailer did nothing for me because I was like "who the heck are these people"?

I want Shepard and my team back. We had chemistry, and I had a long term (three game spanning) girlfriend.

diaspora

Didn't all the other ones show the female lead?

I'm still not feeling this so far. Part of the pull with the old trilogy is that the story felt it was planned over three games. I hope we get that with Andromeda.

The last "story" trailer featured Scott. The initial E3 trailer was Sara, as was the VGAs video.

It sucks that the trailer did nothing for me because I was like "who the heck are these people"?

I want Shepard and my team back. We had chemistry, and I had a long term (three game spanning) girlfriend.

There certainly is a lot of pressure to nail these new squad members. Going to be difficult to make a better bro than Garrus.

royox

How long after launch until someone makes a Shepard face code for Andromeda?

I'll wait till this happens. I expect the creator to be even better than the one in DA:Inquisition. 1 hour creating my character and it was totally worth it.

CSQxYUZ.jpg

prag16

Banned
I'll wait till this happens. I expect the creator to be even better than the one in DA:Inquisition. 1 hour creating my character and it was totally worth it.

CSQxYUZ.jpg

Eh, that created character bears a STRONG resemblance to my DA:I character. These creators often don't provide enough variability. I know Mass Effect's never did. I used default all through Mass Effect (except for female before a default existed).

royox

Eh, that created character bears a STRONG resemblance to my DA:I character. These creators often don't provide enough variability. I know Mass Effect's never did. I used default all through Mass Effect (except for female before a default existed).

I wanted her to resemble Daenerys and she totally resembles -.-

Something

A bit

Lady Gaia

I expect the creator to be even better than the one in DA:Inquisition. 1 hour creating my character and it was totally worth it.

DA:I was credible enough for early this generation with the obvious exception of the hairstyles. If they change nothing else, please let them have invested both in some hair technology and a stylist who isn't completely clueless to guide them.

SPCTRE

re: the squad

I agree that it doesn't look very... compelling, but I have to admit, I also wasn't too excited about the ME2 and ME3 squads during their respective PR cycles - turns out it was just bad PR ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom