• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Cinematic trailer

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I will not be happy with just more Mass effect. They need to take it to 11.
More planets.
More aliens.
More guns and powers.
More dialogue options and consequences.
Show more of the romance. Your fans demand penetration!

I don't mind a more stylized cartoon look for character models but these just do not look good to me at all and on top of the poor models, the animations are as bad if not worse than the original trilogy, which had mostly great models for primary characters but also had animation issues.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I disagree with this. I think you absolutely can set a tone in a trailer that speaks to the quality of your writing and storytelling.

I think they're doing a mediocre job of trying to pump up the game and scenario to get people excited about it while also trying very hard to reveal as absolutely little as possible about any of it. Which is a very tough thing to do, not impossible, but not at all easy.

So we are seeing things and hearing stuff without any kind of context or meaning and it just kind of coming off as whatever because they seem super committed to not spoiling anything.

Pacotez

That SAM thing is weird.

They're supposed to have launched from Milky Way before the Reaper invasion, and that means the prohibition of AI development is still in effect... and yet they seemed to allow a fully functional AI to be developed for the Andromeda mission? Weird.

pgW4Dkg.jpg

That SAM thing is weird.

They're supposed to have launched from Milky Way before the Reaper invasion, and that means the prohibition of AI development is still in effect... and yet they seemed to allow a fully functional AI to be developed for the Andromeda mission? Weird.

AI research is very heavily restricted, not totally banned.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
AI research is very heavily restricted, not totally banned.

I'll bet 50 credits that SAM is somehow a reconstruction of Ryder's dead mom, Ellen Ryder, who designed the neural implants and Alec uploaded her Transcendence style into the computer as the final piece of the AI puzzle or he used her brain pattern as the framework for the AI. So her "soul" will keep the AI from going batty. And we'll have our mom with us at all times. Even when banging aliens, helping to maximize our physical output.

SCIENCE!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Shinobi said either her or the community thread that the Archon's motives not necessarily straight up "evil". So I have hope for something more nuanced.

I'm going to guess his race are the "Batarians" of Andromeda. A bunch of violent, untrustworthy aliens, but not 100% evil. Just ignored and treated like crap by the rest of the galaxy/cluster and turned into terrorists/mercenaries because they see no other options.

DesertFox

Shinobi said either her or the community thread that the Archon's motives not necessarily straight up "evil". So I have hope for something more nuanced.

I think they have some room to tell a great story here. From our perspective we are the good guys, civilized, explorers wanting to bring something of benefit to a new galaxy, while planting a flag of our own in order to establish a permanent presence in a new galaxy.

To this Archon guy, and the rest of his species, the Milky Way races are an invading alien coalition that brought with them the capacity to fight and kill the Andromeda natives and take what they have by force - even if we claim our weapons are for "self-defense only."

So who's right in that situation? I'd say the answer depends on the character's point of view - and who the player is going to sympathize with.

edit: for clarification.

Tovarisc

I think they have some room to tell a great story here. From our perspective we are the good guys, civilized, explorers wanting to bring something of benefit to a new galaxy, while planting a flag of our own in order to establish a permanent presence in a new galaxy.

To this Archon guy, and the rest of his species, the Milky Way races are an invading alien coalition that brought with them the capacity to fight and kill the Andromeda natives and take what they have by force - even if we claim our weapons are for "self-defense only."

So who's right in that situation? I'd say the answer depends on the character's point of view - and who the player is going to sympathize with.

I wonder if Arks come with supply of warm blankets...

Woorloog

Banned

This all sounds reasonable... yet why is Archon designed with villain looks and voice then? "Alien" is not a valid answer, considering how human all ME aliens are when it comes to thinking and morals.
If this is actually the case, he should look more like a good guy to reinforce the gray morality of the situation.
As it is, i expect the guy to be some kind of warlord who wants to hold on to power in the region.

Schlorgan

This all sounds reasonable... yet why is Archon designed with villain looks and voice then? "Alien" is not a valid answer, considering how human all ME aliens are when it comes to thinking and morals.
If this is actually the case, he should look more like a good guy to reinforce the gray morality of the situation.
As it is, i expect the guy to be some kind of warlord who wants to hold on to power in the region.
Bait and switch?

hopefully?

mlclmtckr

Banned
We should be able to play an alien in future games

Andromeda would have been the prefect game to do that. Dragon Age 1 style where you choose your race (and therefore Ark) and play a race-specific intro before you go out into the brand new Galaxy.

Schlorgan

Andromeda would have been the prefect game to do that. Dragon Age 1 style where you choose your race (and therefore Ark) and play a race-specific intro before you go out into the brand new Galaxy.
That would probably take another five years, but that would be pretty great.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Like I kind of get the desire to play other races, but at the same time I don't when specifically thinking about ME. A central facet of the ME franchise is the human experience of discovering a galaxy outside of ourselves and the limited view that we have, both literally in our real lives and within the game's setting as well. Andromeda is a major change in setting in large part to maintain that ability to discover something new and alien. Which I don't think was really necessary, as there was plenty of mystery in the Milky Way especially after ME3's ending, but here we are. Making it so we could be multiple races would drastically change the tone and feel of the series.

It's something I enjoy about DA and other fantasy cRPGs, but it definitely affects the story and interactions because they have to make it fit each race and only at certain moments do they really make your background important and even then it's normally just a superficial nod and not a serious factor in the way the game plays out.

Despite the many times I've played DA games and all the Origins I still prefer the ME setup as it provides a more tailored experience. It's one of the things I actually liked a lot about DA2, despite its many issues.

That said I wouldn't mind at all spin off games that focused on an alien race as the playable character. There is certainly a lot to explore.

One too many in my opinion.

There will always be two other humans for romance options. One Male and one Female.

One of the Mass effect devs replied to someone on twitter pointing out that having an AI seems counter to the lore with something like "Yeah, that *IS* weird! ;)"

Rellik

We should be able to play an alien in future games

I know you probably mean single player, but you should be able to get your alien fix in MP like you could on Mass Effect 3. Better than nothing I suppose.

looks like a game made for gamers, sad

Now we really are scraping the barrel looking for things to hate on for this game, So who should a game be made for?

mbpm1

I know you probably mean single player, but you should be able to get your alien fix in MP like you could on Mass Effect 3. Better than nothing I suppose.

Yep, ME3 MP was rad, although it was a long time since I've played. I'm sure this one will deliver.

AmzXBUq.png

is reply I saw relating to this topic. There may be others.

I get it. The AI is actually a human pretending to be a robot the whole time!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I get it. The AI is actually a human pretending to be a robot the whole time!

Seriously, it's your Mom. Ellen Ryder was a "pioneer" in the field of Biotic Neural Implants and designed the Andromeda Initiative's Neural Implant that goes far beyond just Biotic abilities. And yet she's not here anymore, but we do have this fantastic AI SAM that works directly in tandem with the Neural Implants Ellen Ryder created, which just so happened to be developed by her husband, Alec Ryder.

Who on top of being one of the first humans to venture beyond the Charon Relay, and was one of the first to go through the training regimen that eventually was developed into the elite N7 program, was also is a brilliant scientist who could come up with a wildly impressive AI. Hmmmmmm.

mbpm1

Seriously, it's your Mom. Ellen Ryder was a "pioneer" in the field of Biotic Neural Implants and designed the Andromeda Initiative's Neural Implant that goes far beyond just Biotic abilities. And yet she's not here anymore, but we do have this fantastic AI SAM that works directly in tandem with the Neural Implants Ellen Ryder created, which just so happened to be developed by her husband, Alec Ryder.

Who on top of being one of the first humans to venture beyond the Charon Relay, and was one of the first to go through the training regimen that eventually was developed into the elite N7 program, was also is a brilliant scientist who could come up with a wildly impressive AI. Hmmmmmm.

...who is still a human!

yeah you're probably right

Top Bottom