• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Cinematic trailer

I'd imagine one can modify the siblings and the father gets pre-set adjustments (skin color, hair color, stuff like that).

Unfortunately the comic doesn't have enough small choices... Not sufficient tool on Xbox to generate a proper world state for ME2/3. (Want all those small things, can't get that with the comic.)
Oh, I know. That's why I use console commands to play ME1 on PC instead of just using the comic.

I also use controller mods.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Come on Bioware, I dare you to break new grounds!

Allow us to romance a Krogan this time! >:D

PijPq7z.gif

OT question but can we customize father Ryder?

I plan on creating an all black family of path finders.
Also I'm hoping to god we have good black hair options, very few games ever get that shit right.

Grassy

I don't really get this. An undercut is an insanely popular haircut these days. I teach sorority girls who get this cut. Being out of touch with what's hip is not the same thing as recognizing over-the-top edge.

Your additions there are even a description of a popular caster for League of Legends:

It was partial-sarcasm. I know it's popular and considered a good look these days, I was more having a go at the generic character design. ie "How do we make a badass female? Just give her an undercut bro!"

masterkajo

OléGunner;229183620 said:
OT question but can we customize father Ryder?

I plan on creating an all black family of path finders.
Also I'm hoping to god we have good black hair options, very few games ever get that shit right.

If it is anything like Dragon Age 2 where you create your character and your mother and siblings change appearance depending on your looks. So that could very well be possible.

Kin5290

Whatever happened to putting female Ryder on point in the marketing this time around?

Anyways, I don't know, but I'm not feeling this 100%. Maybe it's because I finally got around to watching MrBTongue's videos on Mass Effect 3, but in the trailers there is very little about the interesting bits of the premise (such as the fact that you are one of a small handful of humans who are, as far as you know, the last human beings in the universe, that the homeworld and all of galactic civilization as you knew it might have been wiped out in the 600 years that you have been in cryosleep) but lots about a thoroughly uninteresting part of the premise.

Do we really need another ambiguously uberpowerful villain with an ominous name?

Also, I love how the female human party member is introduced as a sexy lady love interest while the male human party member is introduced shooting a gun and doing action things.

masterkajo

Whatever happened to putting female Ryder on point in the marketing this time around?

Anyways, I don't know, but I'm not feeling this 100%. Maybe it's because I finally got around to watching MrBTongue's videos on Mass Effect 3, but in the trailers there is very little about the interesting bits of the premise (such as the fact that you are one of a small handful of humans who are, as far as you know, the last human beings in the universe, that the homeworld and all of galactic civilization as you knew it might have been wiped out in the 600 years that you have been in cryosleep) but lots about a thoroughly uninteresting part of the premise.

Do we really need another ambiguously uberpowerful villain with an ominous name?

They said they will alternate between female and male Ryder with each trailer of promotional footage they release. Last time where we got some gameplay we had female Ryder

044.gif

#neverforget

If it is anything like Dragon Age 2 where you create your character and your mother and siblings change appearance depending on your looks. So that could very well be possible.

Not that this should inspire much confidence. I played as a black Hawke and the rest of my family were still white =P

jdstorm

Banned
Also, I love how the female human party member is introduced as a sexy lady love interest while the male human party member is introduced shooting a gun and doing action things.

If he's anything like past Bioware male love intrests FemRyder probably isnt interested. Looking at you Carth "I dont trust anyone" Onassi, Kaiden "Im Secretly Gay" Alenko, Jacob "I got another woman pregnant while we were on a break" Taylor, James "GTL Bruh" Vega.

Yam's

Huge ME fan but again this trailer isn't doing anything for me. Something seems off with the art design. One thing for sure is that I'll have to modify the lead's design this time around.

JackelZXA

I've played all 3 Mass Effect games 9 to 16 times depending on which game we're talking about, and I've modified and tweaked those games to make them more tweaked to what I think is fun for them, I love those games.

(Starting with level 7 guns and armor in ME1, with level 10 armors for the squad so I don't have to focus on anything other than their slots unless I want to change their look, btw the 8 unused armors all look great on liara, and one of them is what she wears at the start of me2, and what alot of asari in that game wear.)

(In ME2 I tweaked the squad weapon loadouts so Jacob and jack can have a missile ir grenade launcher to make them as useful as Samara or Tali, and setting Grunt to just a shotgun so he doesn't keep switching off of it.)

(In ME3 I tweaked the war assets so that my choices actually effect which ending is possible, and I installed powers mods and costume mods that aid the narrative for past characters, and I even found addresses that let me trigger miranda's letter and date for citadel on playthroughs where I take the "I'm breaking up with you" route)

But yeah I was SO into me1 2 and 3 but this game just doesn't look interesting at all. Maybe it'll be like Jack from ME2 and I'll actually like these squadmates that look more like bloggers than soldiers.

This game's going to have to win me over. I've not been too big on Bioware since a lot of the old guard left. I'm not getting myself excited yet. If this ends up feeling about as much like Mass Effect as the new Star Wars and Star Trek movies compare to the old...I don't know.

If this game isn't good it kind of feels like it might be the last big game Bioware makes. I feel really uneasy about the status of the company for some reason recently.

Van Bur3n

Well they brought a Halo 4 writer...

Can any GAFer tell us if Halo 4's story was good?

Oh dear. I wonder how many characters I'm not going to care about now because that's basically Halo 4; and not good for Mass Effect where characters are what holds it up.

Well they brought a Halo 4 writer...

Can any GAFer tell us if Halo 4's story was good?

Halo 4's premise was okay, but the actual story was awful. The storytelling was also some of the worse I've ever witnessed, where they hid key plot points (like the villain's motivation) in hidden terminals in every level to hope you would piece it together.

Obviously there are a lot of factors in writing a game's story, but based on what we've seen so far (with the horribly clichéd writing in trailers) I don't have much faith in this.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Either marketing for this has been terrible or ME3 did kill all of my emotional attachment to the franchise cause I can't muster up any kind of excitement or hope/idea of what I want this to be for me. It's more like I'm curious and if it's great I'll probably play it but if it's just good or ok I feel like I don't really need to.

I hope it's going to be great.

Eumi

Not gonna lie, that trailer was the first real trailer I saw for this and I got some tingles.

Not sure if I have faith in this game though.

Dalibor68

Banned
Everytime I watch a new ME:A trailer and then the ME2 launch trailer (since everytime someone posts it) it always makes me think: This game/franchise used to be HUGE. I used to be EXTREMELY excited for it.

But nowadays I barely even see these kinds of AAA+ games that I get extremely excited over anymore. The only thing I could think of right now would be Cyberpunk 2077 and maybe TLOU2. Are there less of these kinds of boundary-pushing AAA+ 95+ MC games or do you just get less excited as you grow up?

ultraJosh

So I'm buying this day 1 pretty much no matter what but I'm really not feeling any of the crew or MC from what they've shown so far. Really hope Bioware can pull another Joker and make me like these characters.

I loved the original trilogy, but nothing Bioware has shown so far is getting me excited for this game. Hopefully they are just doing a terrible job of marketing.

Paganmoon

Not seeing the "Star Trek" people keep mentioning in this really. It's Sci-Fi/Space-Opera, not all Sci-Fi is Star Trek...

Also, regarding the writing, not sure what you can say about it, based of a 2 minute trailer, with cuts every 2 seconds.

You can ofcourse discuss the writing based of previous BioWare games, but not sure if you can put any real weight behind any arguments based on this trailer.

SJRB

Gold Member
Watched the trailer three times, but I'm not feeling any of it and it's pissing me off because I really, really want to get hyped for this.

We get WAY too few big space-themed games as is, I want to be excited but none of the Andromeda trailers have done the game any favors for me.

It's hard to explain why though.

Not seeing the "Star Trek" people keep mentioning in this really. It's Sci-Fi/Space-Opera, not all Sci-Fi is Star Trek...

Also, regarding the writing, not sure what you can say about it, based of a 2 minute trailer, with cuts every 2 seconds.

You can ofcourse discuss the writing based of previous BioWare games, but not sure if you can put any real weight behind any arguments based on this trailer.

90% of great sci fi/space opera is only text so it is natural that people associate visual examples with one another, especially if they share things in common, like predominately humanoid species. Plus the trailer made it seem similar to the setup of ST:Beyond.

All aboard the hype starship.

I loved the look of it - no doubt I'll love the game

The trailer has been up less than a day and it has over a million views. That's pretty impressive to me although I have no reference point at all.

Day one.

Tovarisc

That SAM thing is weird.

They're supposed to have launched from Milky Way before the Reaper invasion, and that means the prohibition of AI development is still in effect... and yet they seemed to allow a fully functional AI to be developed for the Andromeda mission? Weird.

I'm surprised if Andromeda Initiative wasn't created or majorly funded by Cerberus, would explain SAM too. They created EDI after all.

I don't think the Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer was that good, it has the same lame one liners people are complaining about and the epic music is kinda lame too, I prefer the OST over that.

And I consider ME2 one of the greatest.

Freeman76

Looks great, has the potential to be even better than 2 and 3, which would take some beating as far as I'm concerned. Between this and the 4 minute gameplay trailer I have seen enough to know this will be a classic. Bring on March, 2 copies ordered, one each for me and my wife :)

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I find the characters a bit bland? Not feeling the main character or the crew at all. I really hope the game is good, but the hype is just not there for me.

Tsukumo

I'm starting to fear this game is going to bomba.
Not Battleborn level of bomba, but definitely Titanfall 2 level.
They fucked up the marketing too much.

royox

They fucked up the marketing too much.

Maybe you are right...but let's remember it's a Bioware game, Bioware's public is aware of this game and it doesn't need a COD like marketing campaign to remember all the casuals "HEY!! HERE'S THE GAME YOU BUY EVERY YEAR!!!"

KORNdoggy

in isolation, this trailer is pretty good. knowing and seeing what we have done up to this point however makes me think the game is going to absolutely suck!

there just isn't the character draw the previous games had, specifically ME1. and the story doesnt seem as interesting either. it feels more cliched than i wanted it too. there's even a line almost directly lifted from the avengers. i just struggle to get excited by it. which is a shame because i loved ME1 (the other 2 were passable) and big, space opera games akin to star trek are few and fare between.

Dinda

I can't put my finger on why, but all the character's faces look fucked up to me. There's just something weird about them.

Faces seem to be the one thing Bioware has the most problems with on the otherwise great Frostbite Engine. Inquisition was the same.
And it's a shame because the faces are so important in these games, and they were really good in the Unreal Engine Mass Effects.

Lt-47

Everytime I watch a new ME:A trailer and then the ME2 launch trailer (since everytime someone posts it) it always makes me think: This game/franchise used to be HUGE. I used to be EXTREMELY excited for it.

ME 2 trailer is just as bland to me. Same overly dramatic music (that sounds nothing like the in game one) and cringe worthy movie trailer one-liner. I was more impressed back then sorely because I had played way less cinematic game and it looked like such a step up from ME1 in terms of presentation.

Top Bottom