• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

Is this a joke ?

https://i.gyazo.com/3fad3a0b681c6c49eea93c00d276b02e.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/a0d1022c5e7ce3b5d888c3917312599b.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/fec9170cc3d4b4db167ee3619827e846.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/a37667249af1134e9213eec5310518ee.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/8634a23ef3e15418c990a198a392301b.png[/IMG

Are you fucking kidding me ?[/QUOTE]

The facial animation in horizon is also shit. Less shitty is still shit

pezzie

I'm watching the GB stream, and this is really my first exposure with this game, but I dunno, I swear ME3 on PC is a better looking game than this one.

zGINNKD.gif

This needs to be reposted as this is the worst example I've seen in this whole thread.

It's some amateur Garry's Mod/ Poser shit not Mass Effect 4.

zma1013

Do you guys like scanning? Yes? Boy do I have the game for you.

Eh, keep forgetting this thread is for discussing the graphics, oh well.

The GB stream is showcasing some peculiar stuff regarding some cutscene stuff. A lot of camera transitions start with unactivated animations and unloaded LOD 0 or LOD 1 textures.

Similarly, the eyes seem to kind of randomly move while characters talk? They often are not looking in the direct of the person they are talking to, instead they just kinda wander around rapidly?

It is really odd looking.

The facial animation in horizon is also shit. Less shitty is still shit

Sure, compared to games like UC and QB. But the comparison here with Mass Effect is to look at other open world RPGs such as TW3, Dragon Age and Horizon. By those standards, the facial animation is very impressive.

And Andromeda falters in that regard, even compared to Biowares own past titles.

singhr1

I'm watching the GB stream, and this is really my first exposure with this game, but I dunno, I swear ME3 on PC is a better looking game than this one.

You're looking through rose-tinted lenses, my friend. ME3 looks TERRIBLE now. This is a huge improvement in terms of pure visual fidelity and scope, animations and VO not withstanding.

You linked to the worst thing in the game though.

That represents 1% of the game, literally.

Mass Effect is like this permanently (and worse in fact).

IllustriousImpartialEagle.gif

Is it perfect ? No. Is it decent ? Yeah. Especially in terms of open worlds games. Plus the overall look of the characters is all wrong in Mass Effect, it's not just an animation problem.

edit :

You know what, you deserve it, come on, spin this :

NxBRxD.gif

I honestly find Horizon's animation here, rather amazing. The head/ shoulder shrug, the head tilt, the frowning, the eyes lid when in doubt... lots of mouvement, it feels organic and not too mechanical.

ME:A is just... terrible... not even mention the painted eyes (no shader, no depth, no real iris... its like they painted blue eyes on ping pong ball and stuff them in her sockets) and her fucking hair MY GOD Bioware have you seen hair in real life ?

RDreamer

I'm kinda torn here. Horizon is legit amazing and I was sad it'd get buried with Zelda and Mass Effect, so seeing it put forth so much is good.

That said, it's really kind of an unfair comparison. I'll eat a real goddamned crow if Mass Effect Andromeda doesn't end up with mountains more dialogue and conversational animations needed than Horizon. That and Guerrilla is both an engine creator and a fucking whiz at creating graphical powerhouse games. That's what they're known for. Bioware has never been known for that at all. Hell, this very forum seems to prefer Mass Effect 1 over anything else and that's a crazy jank-fest all around.

Still hopeful the game is fun, has a ton of lore, and is great to explore.

Strakt

Idk im playing right now on my 1440p, game looks wonderful so far and optimization is great. Getting a sily smooth 100 fps. Facial animations were always bad in mass effect games.

kamspy

I will say the first time I saw the running animation in ME3, and the fact you couldn't holster your weapon, I knew something was wrong.

I'm happy I didn't preorder this.

no angel

I wonder what bioware peeps think if/when they see threads like this? Probably, oh well $$$.
They'll think nothing, because threads like this mean fuck all in the scheme of things. This site has never been a marker for popular opinion, and as it got older and frightened off or alienated those in the industry who were actually willing to engage with posters here it's only become less so.

daftstar

Man.. this game is shaping up to be a big disappointment. Still gonna keep my pre-order and hope the MP is as good as ME3 but damn, all this footage isn't getting me excited at all.

Seems like they needed another delay to polish it up. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the lowest rated ME game too, expecting a lot of 7-8/10s at this point.

Tahnit

Banned
Idk im playing right now on my 1440p, game looks wonderful so far and optimization is great. Getting a sily smooth 100 fps. Facial animations were always bad in mass effect games.

this is worse than the original trilogy. By far. This is fucking terrible.

singhr1

That's not the point. The point is that some of the dialogue, VO, and facial animations range from bad to mediocre in a game no longer hamstrung by its old engine and old consoles.

Compared to its competitors and the games released since ME3, its a bad look.

Like yes, it's still a significant achievement getting this much voiced dialogue in the game but quality > quantity sometimes.

i think red dead 2 bolted to my top anticipated game now, this is kind of sad not only on a visual stand point i can live past that but it seems other aspects are falling short too.

Gestault

HOLY SHIT, THAT PERSON JUST APPEARED 20 FEET IN THE AIR AND FELL.

Please tell me someone gif'd that on the Giant Bomb livestream.

Gerstmann: "Yeah, she leveled up a little bit there too"

Top Bottom