• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Ellite25

People are complaining that the other races made it over to Andromeda. I said without them it doesn't feel like Mass Effect.
Are they complaining the other races are in andromeda or are they complying that there doesn't seem to be new races of characters that can be in your squad at some point? The first complaint wouldn't make sense but the second would.

Retrofluxed

You can drive Cassandra to alcoholism.

That's fucked up. I'm too much of a goodie two shoes when I play Bioware games.

Are they complaining the other races are in andromeda or are they complying that there doesn't seem to be new races of characters that can be in your squad at some point? The first complaint wouldn't make sense but the second would.

Given the context, both.

IMACOMPUTA

Yeah I took that post as criticising the lack of new races. Since they stuck with the same handful and the universe is infinite and all.

Ralemont

not me
I'm not sure. Is there a "approve/disapprove" system? I never noticed it in the trial.

It might be hidden, or it might be a "critical branch" type approval/disapproval. For example, the loyalty system in Mass Effect 2 is pretty binary and doesn't have numbers popping up representing how your squad feels about your every decision, but if you "fail" Tali's loyalty mission then her interactions with you on the ship therafter have a very different tone. Or in Mass Effect 1, where getting Wrex's family armor becomes a "hidden" check to get him back on your side in Virmire.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If it were up to me, this would have been a direct sequel. Pick a color, tell people to suck it up and write a new story. I wasn't done with the Milky Way.

This was my desired path as well. There was a lot of potential in telling a story set in a post ME3 galaxy. The Reaper war and its conclusion would have drastically altered everything and there are so many ways that could be taken and developed in order to create meaningful and interesting stories. And it wouldn't require them to dwell on the ending to ME3 or the Reapers, just to simply use that as the lens by which this future Milky Way is developed.

But I don't hate the premise of MEA or think it inherently bad. There's a lot of potential here as well. It's simply an easy way out that I'm not surprised they took. Maybe we'll get to go back to the Milky Way someday.

RDreamer

Is this up for preload on PS4?

It is, but it may be tricky to find. For some reason the last two games I've preordered haven't had the download button show up on the store or in my library. What I had to do was go to my library and manually search for the game and then the download button will pull up. So if you don't see it on the store page or library, try that.

diaspora

Spoilers for Inquisition but:
An "evil" Inquisitor can drive Cassandra to alcoholism, reinforce and bring out Solas' racist beliefs, leave Blackwall to die in an Orlesian prison, and essentially either kick out or drive out most other companions. You can also get Cullen addicted to Lyrium after he tries to quit and Harding later finds him as a junkie begging on the streets after Trespasser where she then puts him down.

JoeBoy101

Heh, I hear that. Given that the Milky Way has 100s of billions of stars, and new planet-finding science suggests that many or more planets, it's not like going to a new galaxy is required to bring in some fresh ideas. But then that's part of why I though they were really going to play up the novelty aspect....

There's new aliens, new planets, new phenomena, new enemies, a new location, new history, in an entirely different timeline.

There's no Citadel, Federation, or Mass Effect relays. There's also no established races aside from Human and a smattering of Krogan, Salarians, Asari, and Turians. And, at least at the start of the game, their numbers are EXTREMELY limited.

I see the complaint with regards to different non-established races as companions, but given the circumstances of the plot and the setup, I doubt you'd have other races ready to join up. There is one new race companion include, but I do understand you'd like to see more.

I get what y'all are saying, but an entirely human Initiative would get a bit boring quick.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
An "evil" Inquisitor can drive Cassandra to alcoholism, reinforce and bring out Solas' racist beliefs, leave Blackwall to die in an Orlesian prison, and essentially either kick out or drive out most other companions. You can also get Cullen addicted to Lyrium after he tries to quit and Harding later finds him as a junkie begging on the streets after Trespasser where she then puts him down.

.....Holy shit. I never knew about any of this except for
Blackwall

Extremely curious to see how things change it up past the Trial's end in Eos. Still need to find/make a good custom Sara, too.

Tovarisc

Can Initiate gear still be earned? Is any of it worth the hassle?

masseffectandromedatr73k0o.png

RDreamer

Goddamn.

And there was someone in the another thread saying Bioware games don't actually have choice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

You can, among other things:

- Claiming to use Inquisition to pursue your own ambition
- Knowingly lie to vast masses of people who view you as God's prophet in order to obtain power,
- Lead Leliana
to become a murderous psychopath,
- Lead Cullen
into becoming a Lyrium addict, which will make him end up living on the streets, by the way,
- Executing various people because you don't like them, lol,
- Punch Solas and reinforce his bigoted/racist beliefs,
- Make fun of Dorian's issues. Oh, you can punch him as well, lol, and basically tell him to fuck off,
- Leave Blackwall
to rot in the prison, or before that, you can actually tell him to fuck off and excise him out along with the order he claims to be representing,
, or force him
into Inquisition's servitude.
- Make a pious woman like Cassandra turn into a jabbering alcoholic,
- Tell Cole to fuck off,
- Tell Ironbull to
sacrifice his long-time friends and comrades and turn him into a crazed religious nut, which will make him betray you in the end
, lol,
- Kill
Varric's long-time friend,
- Tell Sera to fuck off any time you want,
- Etc etc etc.

The Inquisitor can become a MASSIVE arsehole, depending on how you play him/her, lol.

I'm not sure. Is there a "approve/disapprove" system? I never noticed it in the trial.

It might be hidden, or it might be a "critical branch" type approval/disapproval. For example, the loyalty system in Mass Effect 2 is pretty binary and doesn't have numbers popping up representing how your squad feels about your every decision, but if you "fail" Tali's loyalty mission then her interactions with you on the ship therafter have a very different tone. Or in Mass Effect 1, where getting Wrex's family armor becomes a "hidden" check to get him back on your side in Virmire.

Hopefully we can become a massive jerk. I always love to play as a jerk, hahah.

diaspora

Goddamn.

And there was someone in the another thread saying Bioware games don't actually have choice.

They have choices in so far as who your character becomes and what happens to your companions. They don't necessarily change the entire story- in the end you're still fighting an Archdemon/Corypheus/etc.

Bombless

How did it work for people playing on PC this weekend? I play a lot of PVP fps/tps games weekly with zero issues - Titanfall2, Infinite Warfare, Modern Warfare 4, Forza horizon 3, Destiny, BF1, Uncharted 4 - but MEA was janky as hell on xbox one. Out of six games I could not complete a single one, every single game "crashed" (game restarted) at some point right when a wave finished, although it did seem to give me some sort of partial points every wave that persisted. Three of the games suffered horrid rubber banding to the point where it was basically unplayable.

I'm hoping its just launch week issues that get sorted eventually and/or maybe PC or PS4 is better but that was severely disappointing, especially given the cancellation of the multiplayer tech test.

It was pretty bad during the trial. At least 60% of my games were lagging in a way or the other (you lag even as host but instead of rubberbanding your game goes into bullet time mode every once in a while so the others can catch up) so hearing that there won't be region filters and they still haven't added connection quality/information is really disappointing. This is freaking 2017.

Still, the multiplayer was a goddamn blast despite this massive issue.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Despite the whole animation fiasco, I'm admittedly still pretty excited about this game. Will definitely be checking out this OT whenever I get my hands on it, which will hopefully be some time this week!

Silvard

It is, but it may be tricky to find. For some reason the last two games I've preordered haven't had the download button show up on the store or in my library. What I had to do was go to my library and manually search for the game and then the download button will pull up. So if you don't see it on the store page or library, try that.

yeah I just preordered and the download started.

Thanks guys, downloading now.

My pre order downloaded last week

Well, talk about wasted time. It will be done by tomorrow but I could've had it ready a long time ago.

eosos

Banned
Anyone able to get this working on steam link with an XB1 controller? It shows up on the screen for me, but the controller just acts as some weird quasi mouse.

hbkdx12

Anyone who played early on consoles manage to make a CC and feel like that character meshes well in the game? I'm hearing things about your character looking good in the CC but not looking as good in game. Not sure if i want to just go with default sara or make my own

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Shepard was like my Buck Rogers. His crew was just part of the ride. You had Seth Green as Joker too.
This feels like a whole new beginning in some ways. It could be good, but the information comes at me in such an odd way.

I'm hoping the reviews are spot on. The last time I played ME I used my Kinect. One of the only times I found use for it last gen.

Grisby

Just finished Zelda tonight so I am freeeeee for Andromeda. Ready to get back to the world of Mass Effect, some bad animation gifs aside.

Take me to the plaid zone Bioware.

jbxjm.gif

One more sleep until new Mass Effect. Yay.
Yep. Counting it down.
Oh man, did not know that about Cassandra.

Top Bottom