• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

I really wanted to like Cora but it is not going well so far. I'm pretty sure she literally cannot make it through one conversation without talking about how awesome of a biotic she is.

pahamrick

Why? Is it impossible to patch in a supersampling mode?

This game was one of the reasons i bought a Pro and now i learn it won't even utilize the extra power on 1080P...
I think it has super sampling now, the image is very clean for the most part.

FatalT

Banned
After a 45 minute multiplayer co-op mission, I'm stuck at a loading screen where I can hear one of the other 3 people saying his screen is at "Waiting for 3 other people."

Will I get XP or loot for the past 45 minutes i put into the game? Doubtful. Fuck Mass Effect: Andromeda.

2hrs into a brand new playthrough- trial progress purposely wiped from ye olde xbox. Really happy with how the Ryders turned out.

6q8PEBz.jpg

pumK251.jpg

30GTrg9.jpg

valkyre

Why? Is it impossible to patch in a supersampling mode?

This game was one of the reasons i bought a Pro and now i learn it won't even utilize the extra power on 1080P...

Having a 1080p mode has nothing to do with supersampling...

Having a 1080p mode means the game runs at 1080p and thus, has(?) perfect framerate performance.

Do get supersampling the game needs to run at higher resolution and my guess is that Andormeda's 1800p supersamples in 1080p tvs already. (although this is the rare case that I wish it doesnt and that the game runs at 1080p when it detects a 1080p tv... because the framerate apparently sucks ass.

Un4

Having a 1080p mode has nothing to do with supersampling...

Having a 1080p mode means the game runs at 1080p and thus, has perfect framerate performance.

Do get supersampling the game needs to run at higher resolution and my guess is that Andormeda's 1800p supersamples in 1080p tvs already. (although this is the rare case that I wish it doesnt and that the game runs at 1080p when it detects a 1080p tv... because the framerate apparently sucks ass.

Ah i see. So the game supersamples on 1080p screens but there is no dedicated 1080p mode for increased performance at the moment..

Despite the issues this game clearly has those screenshots do get me incredibly excited just to invest 50-60 into it. I have waited 5 years for a new space sci-fi rpg.

That long wait is probably going to make me invest money in an otherwise (good but not great) game. Damn the other developers for not creating more space rpg's.

FiraB

Banned
I feel like putting a bullet in addison, she is easily the most hatable character in the series.

Other then that they should have let the trial end after that mission, that mission was pretty decent and leaves you curious.

Peebee and Drake are great fun but vetra really goes well with them both too.

As for the cdkeys question a couple of you asked, cdkeys is region locked now with their keys. If your from the US you will get your key but if your in the EU regions you will get your key just before release and yes they have the EU keys already.

Spoo

Played about an hour or two. Seems fun with a decent story, but what the hell at performance on PS4? Feels like 15 fps during fights. Kind of pathetic.

FatalT

Banned
After a 45 minute multiplayer co-op mission, I'm stuck at a loading screen where I can hear one of the other 3 people saying his screen is at "Waiting for 3 other people."

Will I get XP or loot for the past 45 minutes i put into the game? Doubtful. Fuck Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I'm not so pissed off now because thankfully my progress saved but damn, that had me going hard for a bit there.

aravuus

The writing is so bad, particularly the dialogue interaction - I never thought I'd play a game with this sort of budget that does it worse than Fallout 4 which is funny since Bethesda made Fallout 4 so bad in this area because it went the Bioware route.

So many of the dialogue choices themselves are really bad too (falls into the area of writing), so many of the responses are so disconnected and meaningless that it feels like they would only write that dialogue interaction in one particular direction and just quickly filled the rest with complete nonsense.

The issue of animations and graphical quality is the least concern to me when the writing has been the weakest of any Bioware game, let alone as a game in general. Quite a lot of reviews mentioned this too.

I've come across this exact opinion enough times to make me wait. I'm not particularly interested in the gameplay, so fun dialogue and such is more or less what I want from this game, and clearly they fucked up royally there. It doesn't even have to have an interesting main plot or anything, just gimme a bunch of side stories with good narratives and I'd be happy.

I'll probably buy the game during the summer drought. To see just how bad it is lol.

oneils

The controls and movement so, so, soooo clunky in multiplayer. It's a constant battle to do what you want to do with offensive abilities.

That's how I felt while using a controller. When I switched to mouse and keyboard it felt much better. Reminded me of me3. I always felt like the combat was designed more for mouse and keyboard rather than a controller.

Chumley

Banned
The writing is so bad, particularly the dialogue interaction - I never thought I'd play a game with this sort of budget that does it worse than Fallout 4 which is funny since Bethesda made Fallout 4 so bad in this area because it went the Bioware route.

So many of the dialogue choices themselves are really bad too (falls into the area of writing), so many of the responses are so disconnected and meaningless that it feels like they would only write that dialogue interaction in one particular direction and just quickly filled the rest with complete nonsense.

Also it seems a planet only uses a very limited amount of creatures throughout it (3-4 of the same models? rest are just reskins), at least Inquisition had variety in its areas.

The issue of animations and graphical quality is the least concern to me when the writing has been the weakest of any Bioware game, let alone as a game in general. Quite a lot of reviews mentioned this too.

Yep.

Can't be overstated enough how bad the writing is. It feels like it was made exclusively for children. Even Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition at their worst weren't this stripped down of edge, nuance, and thought. Like, as an example, here's a line you hear during combat

"Yeah! I bet he hated that, because I just shot him in the face!"

takriel

Yep.

Can't be overstated enough how bad the writing is. It feels like it was made exclusively for children. Even Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition at their worst weren't this stripped down of edge, nuance, and thought.

Sounds like it was made by children, tbh.

leng jai

The writing is terrible, as is the animation. I just can't take the game seriously at all. Still you have many people who say it's fine and can't notice anything particularly bad about it.

Ushay

What difficulty are you guys playing on?

Does it do anything beyond change damage values?

I'm hoping it improves AI too.

Played about an hour or two. Seems fun with a decent story, but what the hell at performance on PS4? Feels like 15 fps during fights. Kind of pathetic.

It's pretty bad on Xbox too, why I'm sticking to multiplayer until Scorpio release. Hopefully game gets updates on its issues too.

CSJ

It's so frustrating reading the codex as it won't show where the newly entered items are until you dig around all the expanded layers. :/

Chumley

Banned
The writing is terrible, as is the animation. I just can't take the game seriously at all. Still you have many people who say it's fine and can't notice anything particularly bad about it.

Writing by and large in video games has gotten even worse since ME3 outside of exceptions like The Witcher 3. Maybe their standards have been lowered. Mine have only risen, so this is going to be very very hard for me to get through if the entire thing is this hollow and fake.

Studios need to stop fucking hiring these hacks who don't know or care about how people actually speak. This script shouldn't have gotten past the rough draft stage.

Alright, we've moved to the "dev-bashing" phase of discussion. That's cool guys.

Cool cool cool.

(Writing is fine. There's a few stinkers, but it's a giant-ass game. There's always a few.)

I can recall cheesy and/or bad lines in every mass effect game. This one is about par for the franchise, so far. (Haven't gotten past Eos yet as I'm replaying from the beginning, so I'm not sure how it is beyond that point).

Maledict

The handwaving of some people to excuse the writing is beyond me. Go find me dialogue in any of the original three games as bad as 'my face is tired' or 'I am a pie'.

Just because you love something doesn't mean you have to ignore its faults. Mass Effect is the single best video game series I've ever played, but the new game is very clearly not up to scratch. The first few minutes of playing shows that (WTF happens to that Asaris face during the initial crash straight after waking up? Why is Cora always smiling slightly?)

The handwaving of some people to excuse the writing is beyond me. Go find me dialogue in any of the original three games as bad as 'my face is tired' or 'I am a pie'.

Just because you love something doesn't mean you have to ignore its faults. Mass Effect is the single best video game series I've ever played, but the new game is very clearly not up to scratch. The first few minutes of playing shows that (WTF happens to that Asaris face during the initial crash straight after waking up? Why is Cora always smiling slightly?)
Not ignoring its faults. It definitely has 'em. But I'm also not forgetting how imperfect the original trilogy was, despite how it was also pretty fantastic regardless. I see nothing here in Andromeda that makes me think this was written by/for children, as suggested above lol.

Playing this feels right at home within the Mass Effect franchise. The visuals. The vistas. The quirky characters. The music. The galaxy map. Scanning! It just feels right, despite the bugs.

Chumley

Banned
I can recall cheesy and/or bad lines in every mass effect game. This one is about par for the franchise, so far. (Haven't gotten past Eos yet as I'm replaying from the beginning, so I'm not sure how it is beyond that point).

It absolutely was nothing like this in the original trilogy. Characters had dumb lines in those games but they were dumb lines in the context of something someone would actually say. In Andromeda it's straight up first draft horseshit that sounded good in the head of whoever thought it up, so they put it down on the page and moved on. It's expository and spoken by everyone as if they're in a vacuum and they're all actually the same person. No one has any identity of their own, especially not the lead character. Shepard immediately came off as a serious military type, but Ryder? He is a vacant, empty vessel.

Kagutaba

Yeah, they've gone for this more chatty, natural, lighter tone with the dialogue. It works 80% of the time. When it doesn't work it's just awkward, and sounds like voice actors in separate booths phoning it in. Overall, it's acceptable and I still think the male Ryder is much better than male Shepard.

He really is. I never liked listening to Shepard.

Kill3r7

Played for about an hour last night. Standard Bioware opening. Performance on the X1 was a bit inconsistent but otherwise the game looks promising. I must say that I miss Shepard and the old crew.

I want challenge, but I don't like damage sponges, especially in a game with no hit reactions. I took normal because I strongly suspect it just changes values.
Given how brutal Bronze is in multiplayer, I'm already dreading the Insanity playthrough when I get to new game+.

What difficulty are you guys playing on?

Does it do anything beyond change damage values?

I usually play ME games on hard at least, but that was on PC with kb+m. But now that I'm playing the PS4 version, I'm not really sure. I'm bad at aiming with a controller.

If I can change difficulty anytime, I guess I'll start with hard and see how things go.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do SSDs really help *that* much with games?

In my opinion, it's a very good upgrade. Granted I've only played Arkham Knight, Firewatch and Outlast since I've got mine. Arkham showed a 100% improvement. Haven't done much back and forth testing but the place I was at, i timed it at 21 seconds on the stock 1TB of the Pro, then moved the game and reloaded the same save. SSD loaded it in 9 seconds flat.

The Samsung T3 is also probably one of the cheaper SSD's you can find, well for me at least, I bought the 250GB model and probably won't be copying more than 2, 3 games at once. I only play one game at a time anyway, so works out great for me.

Other users have reported games like Horizon, GTA V and others having either the loading times halved or drastically reduced.

Top Bottom