• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

nOoblet16

Wish the game had a day night cycle, some planets would look remarkably different during different time of day and it would also affect gameplay.

So which planet should I do first:
Havarl
or
Voeld
?

Keep in mind that so far I'm only really liking the slower, quieter, conversational moments in the game and I hated Eos.
Voeld, Havarl is a relatively smaller planet where you can't use the Nomad, it is a bit boring with a lot of fetch missions. It's the 2nd worst planet after Eos in my opinion, but atleast it looks cool.

Mifune

Mehmber
I say Voeld. It does a better job communicating the Angaran struggles against the Kett, the whole resistance / rebellion vibe, and gives a little more oomph to the story on Havarl later.

Voeld, Havarl is a relatively smaller planet where you can't use the Nomad, it is a bit boring with a lot of fetch missions. It's the 2nd worst planet after Eos in my opinion, but atleast it looks cool.

Thank you. Sounds like we have a winner.

Jblanks

As someone who usually goes tech, playing as mostly tech so far, and seeing most people in here not going tech I can see why. It's not very effective and kind of boring imo. The turret isn't very good, no more drone (the one with the Engineer profile is trash), Flamethrower and Cryo Freeze you have to be very close and you end up losing most of your shield/health, the Overload/Incinerate combo is ok but nothing special. I've been playing around trying to get a good and fun tech build, but it's just not happening. Might just switch to full biotics or try to find a good biotic and tech build.

It feels like they made the game to play Biotics with the fast movement and combat.

Anyone know of there's something wrong with the PS4 pro version? Lighting, texture streaming is pretty bad, especially on transition screens and cutscenes. The game frequently is choppy into the low 20's. Textures on clothing especially are often really bad. The character models look sub Mass effect 3. Is this the same for all PS4 users? I'm really starting to regret playing this on my Pro. I had a PC copy when it was $35 but my friends on PS4 battered me down so I sold it.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
You know what, I expected this game to look like shit quite honestly, and like a snowball its got completely out of control! Yeah the facial animations and animations in general can look pretty dodgy, but in gameplay it looks bloody great! They deserve absolute praise for the HDR implementation, its up there with the very best, looks amazing.
This game is objectively beautiful. Inconsistent in spots, yes, but generally a great looking game.

It's just those damn human faces really. They dropped the ball so damn hard there...

Ken Adams

Anyone know of there's something from with the PS4 pro version? Lighting, texture streaming is pretty bad, especially on transition screens and cutscenes. The game frequently is choppy into the low 20's. Textures on clothing especially are often really bad. The character models look sub Mass effect 3. Is this the same for all PS4 users? I'm really starting to regret playing this on my Pro. I had a PC copy when it was $35 but my friends on PS4 battered me down so I sold it.

Same here man. Not worth the 4k HDR tbh.

UberLevi

Couple questions:

Anyone using Lance and what are your thoughts? I'm rollin infiltrator right now, with an assault turret (i like sniper rifles) and need another long distance power.

Jaal. Thoughts on him? I think my plan is to roll with him and Drack for the majority of the game (as he seems like the new/interesting species). Is he well written?

1. I've been rolling with Lance + Overload + Incinerate for my Sentinel profile and it's fucking awesome, especially once you take the evolution for Lance that replaces cooldown time with shield consumption.

2. Jaal is awesome so far, too. Wasn't sure what to think of him prior to release, but he and the angara are both really growing on me. I've got about five favorite team compositions and Jaal is on most of them.

I'm also going to post a couple more pics of my Ryder, I'm really enjoying his voice performance so far.

Hrh82AD.png
vgE6Bzr.png

I have a general question, I haven't played this yet but how does this game compare to dragon age 3? Does this game look better then that because I can't remeber if the face issue was this big in the last dragon age? And overall is it a lot different then mass effect 1-3?

I think ME:A looks pretty good generally (though it falls flat on its face sometimes) but I think DA:I looks better overall.

Mass 1 introduced it, with the phenomenal conversation with Sovereign on Virmire. That game set up so many amazing concepts, and all of the fantastic lore the series has hinged on. It's weird to see Andromeda just... completely ignoring it, and not even tackling these issues like the lack of a 50k extinction timer, or seizing the opportunity to create unique alien species. It's awful writing on top of awful alien design, when they had a clean slate to work from. Bizarre how they sucked so much in this respect.

Eh, can't agree. Every significant species in the series so far are traditional bipedal humanoids. Yes the Hanar and Elcor are cool but there is a reason that they have never played a major role in the series nor had a significant character. ME1 used traditional designs for the main species because it makes them more relatable so it isn't uprising that ME:A is going to take the same approach.

The idea of a different evolution patterns due to lack of 50k reset is an interesting idea though and I'm kind of wishing the game had a addressed it.

I do think its worth pointing out that (contrary to the game's name and marketing), the game is focused around a single cluster. I would not expect the same level of diversity shown throughout the Milky Way in the trilogy to be represented in just one cluster.

Same here man. Not worth the 4k HDR tbh.

I mean my PC is more than capable of doing 1440p 60fps 4k 30fps etc with HDR. I just got talked into it because a lot of my PC friends skipped the game and MP was huge for me in ME3.

Seriously though are the textures on like medium-low for the pro? The characters, and their clothing without a doubt look worse than Mass Effect 3. I'm just baffled.

My friends on standard PS4 swear their games look really good and run good without the choppiness and framedrops and they don't have texture streaming issues etc. But I can't tell if they're telling the truth or they're just oblivious to that kind of stuff.

Doodis

What loadouts are you all rolling with? I've always focused on Vanguard (love charging in and nova bombing) in past games, but with all options open to me, I'm interested to hear what abilities people are mixing and matching.

Looking for some unique yet useful loadouts.

Blunoise

I really like the band of misfits. They grow on you, don't know why anyone is comparing them to OG memebers that got fleshed out in 3 games

I mean my PC is more than capable of doing 1440p 60fps 4k 30fps etc with HDR. I just got talked into it because a lot of my PC friends skipped the game and MP was huge for me in ME3.

Seriously though are the textures on like medium-low for the pro? The characters, and their clothing without a doubt look worse than Mass Effect 3. I'm just baffled.

My friends on standard PS4 swear their games look really good and run good without the choppiness and framedrops and they don't have texture streaming issues etc. But I can't tell if they're telling the truth or they're just oblivious to that kind of stuff.

It's not without its issues, but HDR is stunning on it, I do have a top end set but still.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone know what the install size is on PS4? (post-patch number would be fine) All I can seem to find googling around is the download size for the digital version.

How early can one get a hold of Platinum? It seems to be needed in anything useful and says it is only found in space or a vendor.

What loadouts are you all rolling with? I've always focused on Vanguard (love charging in and nova bombing) in past games, but with all options open to me, I'm interested to hear what abilities people are mixing and matching.

Looking for some unique yet useful loadouts.

While not unique I use the Infiltrator passives with Incinerate, Overload, and Omni Grenade. I level passive weapon buffs in combat to get the combat points required for Infiltrator, and Incinerate and Overload combo off one another and are always useful.

For weapons I got with the N7 Hurricane which is obscene, and a good snipper riffle.

TubbiestPack

Neo Member
Does anyone have a link to the video that shows you how to get the best looking Ryder for the games lighting? I had it the other day but didn't bookmark.

I really like the band of misfits. They grow on you, don't know why anyone is comparing them to OG memebers that got fleshed out in 3 games

The game seems kind of inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy or a rather light-hearted Saturday Morning Cartoon. Took my a while to understand that but I kind of dig it. I like the team meetings where everyone pretty much shows Ryder zero respect. Feels a far cry from the trilogy where things were very military even when the teammates were outlaws (ME2).

Mesharey

Finished the first outpost, it's really good but I still don't know many things.

Is there a way to change the voices to make them clearer when you're in a mission?
They're talking via mics and it sounds far.

Zesh

How do you equip the Nomad with upgrades? I researched a few, but I don't see anything in the Nomad loadout screen. Are all Nomad upgrades just applied automatically?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like they're installed automatically.

Finished the first outpost, it's really good but I still don't know many things.

Is there a way to change the voices to make them clearer when you're in a mission?
They're talking via mics and it sounds far.

Not sure if it will work but maybe try turning off squad helmets in the option menu.

Spent about 5 hours tonight playing it and git to eos. As q huge mass effect fan the game is super rough on Base ps4. Really not enjoying my time with it and the reviews are bang on the money with all the complaints I've heard.

Facial animation is legit bad. I think if the writing wqs good I could look past the animation but as that's not the case, I'm just not getting attached or liking any of these characters.

I'll probably spend another night on it and if it still doesn't click I'm going to shelve it. Hopefully a few patches and some quality of life fixes will make it more bearable in a month or so.

Nemesis_

What I love about Andromeda is how much mystery and intrigue there is to the story. It's definitely not reply any new ground from a Sci Fi perspective, but there's just so much going on. Especially if you happen to play the Ryder Family Secrets quest which has a MASSIVE tie to the original trilogy.

Doodis

While not unique I use the Infiltrator passives with Incinerate, Overload, and Omni Grenade. I level passive weapon buffs in combat to get the combat points required for Infiltrator, and Incinerate and Overload combo off one another and are always useful.

For weapons I got with the N7 Hurricane which is obscene, and a good snipper riffle.

Nice, I'll have to try that setup.

On an unrelated note, I had conversations with squadmates where they mentioned both Drack and Jaal as being part of our crew before either of them joined my squad. I haven't even met Jaal, yet, for hell's sake. Facial animations I can look past, but geez, talk about taking you out of the game.

Brokun

So guys about the 'First Murderer' side-quest.. (only see the spoiler if you have actually finished the quest)

exile or release.. What did you guys chose?

Exile. He had the intent to murder, he just missed like a dumbass. I don't have time for that namby pamby bullshit in my Andromeda!!

Landed Eos, my crew is not wearing helmets, how can they be so stupid ? Ok, maybe is because we are in a safe zone lets go outside the barriers......nop, still going helmetless beside we are burning in radiation.

Well at least my Ryder is safe in his fancy helmet aaaaaand a cutscene happens forcing my ryder to speak without her helmet.......whats wrong with this game.

Put those Forerunners antennas back online and Eos turned into space Tijuana, where are my fellow mexicans?

Dany

Banned
Landed Eos, my crew is not wearing helmets, how can they be so stupid ? Ok, maybe is because we are in a safe zone lets go outside the barriers......nop, still going helmetless beside we are burning in radiation.

Well at least my Ryder is safe in his fancy helmet aaaaaand a cutscene happens forcing my ryder to speak without her helmet.......whats wrong with this game.

Put those forerunners antennes back online and Eos turned into space Tijuana, where are my fellow mexicans?

...what?

In gameplay options you can toggle helmet on/off.

diaspora

Put those forerunners antennes back online and Eos turned into space Tijuana, where are my fellow mexicans?
There's a setting for this.

Dany

Banned
Has anyone bought any new armor or weapons? I'm still tied to my pre-order armor but it doesn't seem like there are a lot of options just yet?

I find it so needlessly confusing to separate weapons/armor to three classes. Andromeda weapons are lasers and have infinite ammo right?

...what?

There's a setting for this.

Thats not the problem, my ryder is wearing her helmet and that makes sense because alien enviroment can be hazard and stuff, but when a cutscene happens she is without it automatically.

Unless you are telling me the game purposely does it by default which is stupid for dramatic intentions and still it doesnt explain why my companions dont use their helmets unless they developers didnt design helmets for them

Dany

Banned

Unless you are telling me the game purposely does it by default which is stupid for dramatic intentions, still it doesnt explain why my companion dont use their helmets unless they developers didnt design helmets for them

Lt-47

Thats not the problem, my ryder is wearing her helmet and that makes sense because alien enviroment can be hazard and stuff, but when a cutscene happens she is without it automatically.

Unless you are telling me the game purposely does it by default which is stupid for dramatic intentions and still it doesnt explain why my companions dont use their helmets unless they developers didnt design helmets for them

The default setting are the same as the other ME games. You can force helmet on on you companion and in conversation.

keenerz

Anyone know of there's something wrong with the PS4 pro version? Lighting, texture streaming is pretty bad, especially on transition screens and cutscenes. The game frequently is choppy into the low 20's. Textures on clothing especially are often really bad. The character models look sub Mass effect 3. Is this the same for all PS4 users? I'm really starting to regret playing this on my Pro. I had a PC copy when it was $35 but my friends on PS4 battered me down so I sold it.

yeah I have a PS4 Pro and noticed some jankiness, I hope they fix it but so far it's kind of jarring to say the least. standing still the game looks great with the 4k HDR but in motion things get a bit rough with the pop in and the texture chop.

The default setting are the same as the other ME games. You can force helmet on on you companion and in conversation.

I remember using a helmet on non oxigen esque scenarios which is fine because that makes sense unless I am missing Eos is breathable and the game just trolled me putting a helmet on my ryder only because reasons

RdN

Guys, I need help.

I'm on Eos and I found the Krogan, Drack, by a Kett structure. Now, I have the mission The Monolith, which says to "use the console". The the hell is this fucking console? I did find something, but it says it's innactive. How do I turn it on?

Top Bottom