• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Freeman76

I have a general question, I haven't played this yet but how does this game compare to dragon age 3? Does this game look better then that because I can't remeber if the face issue was this big in the last dragon age? And overall is it a lot different then mass effect 1-3?

The face thing is really offputting, dont let people play that down to you, it really is as bad as people make out. However, the game is damn good!! The performance is a mess but that will be patched I expect.

I agree, but I also feel that way about almost all of your companions. Shit just seems to jump from "hi" to "welcome to the team" way too quickly, imo.

I actually didn't feel that way. The reason being everyone in the Initiative is sort of already part of your team. Ryder is the tip of the sword for the entire organization so really anyone he meets is already a team member. So when you meet people and they just hop on the team it makes perfect sense.

My 2 cents.

Anyone know where one can find Beryllium?

BizzyBum

I was expecting to meet civilizations competely different and significantly more advanced, but at first glance it looks like... just more bipeds without any noticeable technological differences.

This is exactly one of many points when I say the game is uninspired.

We travel 2 million light years to a new galaxy and both new species we discover in Andromeda (so far for me) are bipedal humanoids? Angara are basically Twi'leks ffs.

Also, how the fuck do we even understand them? Yes, SAM translating is the reason given but how would a Milky Way developed AI translate the language from an alien race 2 million light years away to English instantaneously? Look at a movie like Arrival to see it done right.

Meeting the Angara should be some monumental historic occasion as they are the first friendly aliens we meet outside of the Milky Way and it's treated so "whatever", like a total been there, done that.

chaislip3

I am loving this so far. Just finished up Voeld and touched down in Havarl. Is it as small as the map makes it seem? It looks way smaller than Eos and Voeld.

Iceternal

I disagree, there's plenty of exotic alien looking stuff in where for it to feel different. You also see that Andromeda is far less culturally, socially, economically and structurally advanced compared to the Milky way society.

They could have avoided giving Kett vehicles wheels for examples ... Ketts' equipment looks very similar to human military (same shade of green and all).

nOoblet16

I hope they dig into "why" though (haven't played more than the trial yet myself). My thoughts going in were: "All intelligent life in the Milky Way's history has been reset every 50k years by the Reapers, stunting how far they can develop. How have other galaxies developed without that hard reset button?"

I was expecting to meet civilizations competely different and significantly more advanced, but at first glance it looks like... just more bipeds without any noticeable technological differences. Certainly nothing significant technologically. But maybe that's where the Remnant story fits in? I'm looking forward to playing this one day but with the low quality of writing on display I'm worried they haven't even THOUGHT about the 50k reset thing, let alone created some decent explanations...
Honestly it's not like ME3 had good writing either, when that was the game that introduced the 50k cycle thing. Infact it had an absurd reasoning with "AI destroys life so we created an AI to destroy life every 50k years so that organics don't create AI that destroys them". Mass Effect hasn't had great writing since half of Mass Effect 2 (and it makes sense since Drew left it halfway through), so this is par for the course for what they've had since.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is Addison delibrately animated and voiced poorly? Her dialog is terrible too

I like the map just fine... Just takes way too long to actually get to where you can scan the planet.

Lady Krogan

You know she's a female krogan right? :)

Sounds like a female krogan?
I'm aware. It's still doesn't suit imo, maybe it takes getting used to
...is perfectly fine.
Nah

Honestly it's not like ME3 had good writing either, when that was the game that introduced the 50k cycle thing. Infact it had an absurd reasoning with "AI destroys life so we created an AI to destroy life every 50k years so that organics don't create AI that destroys them". Mass Effect hasn't had great writing since half of Mass Effect 2 (and it makes sense since Drew left it halfway through), so this is par for the course for what they've had since.

Mass 1 introduced it, with the phenomenal conversation with Sovereign on Virmire. That game set up so many amazing concepts, and all of the fantastic lore the series has hinged on. It's weird to see Andromeda just... completely ignoring it, and not even tackling these issues like the lack of a 50k extinction timer, or seizing the opportunity to create unique alien species. It's awful writing on top of awful alien design, when they had a clean slate to work from. Bizarre how they sucked so much in this respect.

Also, kind of a weird defence to say "well Mass 3 had bad writing too." I won't deny that it did, but that's not enough to give Andromeda a pass.

I actually didn't feel that way. The reason being everyone in the Initiative is sort of already part of your team. Ryder is the tip of the sword for the entire organization so really anyone he meets is already a team member. So when you meet people and they just hop on the team it makes perfect sense.

My 2 cents.

Anyone know where one can find Beryllium?

I can see that. But I just feel that, what with all the craziness that's happened with the exiles and
those anti AI
people, it's just way too irresponsible to be that trusting of random strangers (and vice versa).

Another Lance question. How's the range? Can you use it from far out like a sniper rifle, or is it more "mid range"?

I've never tested it at true "sniper rifle range," but I remember being surprised on occasion that it reached certain enemies who were a good ways away. Somewhere between mid- and long-, I'd say.

ruimound

Just me or does loading the game take an absurd amount of time? I'm running on an SSD and I've been loading a save after booting up for about 3-5 minutes now, no joke.

Vico

I'm really liking it so far (only finished Habitat 7). Sense of discovery is totally here! Haven't even encountered any bug.

Did anyone notice that the giantbombcast had a glaring false criticism this week?
it was stated that the translator works immediately with no fanfare. But the first encounter that happens in the game occurs because the translator doesn't work!

Mifune

Mehmber
So which planet should I do first:
Havarl
or
Voeld
?

Keep in mind that so far I'm only really liking the slower, quieter, conversational moments in the game and I hated Eos.

Who's everyone running on their teams and why??

Drak because he's Krogan and I love me Krogan's.

Cora/PeeBee or any mandatory squad mate I need for a paticular mission.

I always take the female I intend to romance with me.

Is it true you can do multiple romances or one night stands in this game? (Spoiler tag please)

In Dragon Age Origins I was always able to get the sex scenes with Leliana and Morgan plus sleep around with random people.

My take on all this is if my character is going to have to save the day and deal with all the Bullshit involved with saving the day I want to get him laid as much and as often as possible.

Anoxida

Im stuck.
supposed to meet a resistance squad outside the base on voeld but no ones there. Do I need to complete the other planet as well?

Edit: Nvm reloading fixed it the compass.

Just want to point out that wasn't the reasoning in ME3.

You know what, I expected this game to look like shit quite honestly, and like a snowball its got completely out of control! Yeah the facial animations and animations in general can look pretty dodgy, but in gameplay it looks bloody great! They deserve absolute praise for the HDR implementation, its up there with the very best, looks amazing.

nOoblet16

Im stuck.
supposed to meet a resistance squad outside the base on voeld but no ones there. Do I need to complete the other planet as well?

The "outside" is actually the other entrance, i.e. the one that you took when you first arrived to the planet. You are probably searching the back entrance.

TheRed

This game is awesome to me. So damn beautiful too on a beefy PC. Been just exploring Havarl for a long time now as the first one I've been to after Eos and loving it. This is the Mass Effect sequel I've personally been waiting for ever since ME1. Sure presentation and animations with humans are just weird at times but other than that I'm just loving it.

Hope there's a sequel to build on what they've done right in this and fix what went wrong.

Logical-

Neo Member
Does anyone remember when Bioware had a voice acting contest where a fan could provide the voice for a chracter...any idea what character that is inside the game?

So which planet should I do first:
Havarl
or
Voeld
?

Keep in mind that so far I'm only really liking the slower, quieter, conversational moments in the game and I hated Eos.

I say Voeld. It does a better job communicating the Angaran struggles against the Kett, the whole resistance / rebellion vibe, and gives a little more oomph to the story on Havarl later.

Xumbrega

Banned
So guys about the 'First Murderer' side-quest.. (only see the spoiler if you have actually finished the quest)

exile or release.. What did you guys chose?

Top Bottom