• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

What are everyones favorite profiles so far? Especially just starting out, anything I should work toward unlocking first?
I've been spec'ing for the pull/toss biotics (Adept), which is fun, but looks like the most entertaining profile may be one that lets you get in close with charges/deal major damage with shotguns (Vanguard). Excited to try the less obviously fun ones, though.

Setmeni

Quick question for an EOS mission: Heavy Spoilers

In the mission
Making an Impression
Did you guys drill for water or gas and how does it affect the game?

What are everyones favorite profiles so far? Especially just starting out, anything I should work toward unlocking first?

I started with adept, shifted into vanguard, and am currently using soldier. I like having extra weapons on hand, and currently have grenades, pull, and charge in my hotbar. I basically play like a vanguard with a shotgun occasionally, and otherwise I stop&pop with an assault or sniper rifle.

nOoblet16

How many planets are there to explore? Haven't really found an answer to that, I've been curious
Overall, there's a lot of variety...even within one world.
Well there are 6 open worlds (some have towns, while some don't), 2 separate hubs unlinked to any open world (Nexus being one of them). And a few mission specific planet.

Madness

I'm about 20 hours in, I just picked up Jaal (I'm taking my time with the game) and just reached my first real complain with the game.

The events that lead you to him and also how and why he joins the team felt incredibly rushed and sloppy. So far I have not had any problems with the story but that really bothered me, especially after so many mentions about first contact protocol with new species, etc.

BioWare really dropped the ball there.

It is just sloppy execution. The development issues they had now make sense. At this point I honestly think they need to just merge Montreal with Edmonton. They were not able to handle a mainline AAA game even with 5+ years.

The Kett, The Angara, what it means to actually find sentient and evolved humanoid life in the Andromeda galaxy 2 million light years away from the milky way, no mass relays or Protheans helping them etc. And it is very underwhelming.

This game is awesome. I'm probably 8ish hours in and haven't done anything meaningful at all besides the first couple missions. Too early to tell as far as the whole game goes, but if any developers are reading this this is what I wanted. More mass effect. I wasn't expecting a perfect game, first game for the studio (I believe), new engine for you guys. Plus, it couldn't have been easy trying to please every fan of this fucking series (as level headed fans can tell you). I'm gonna go ahead and jump the gun and say thank you now. Even if the game has some sort of sharp decline, what you have created right now is the foundation of something great. It's the NEW mass effect 1 in my eyes if that makes sense. I can deal with the animations, and, truly, if that was the only thing that swayed your purchase of the game, you are an idiot.

For me, playing this game right after Horizon glorifies all that is wrong with it. I can deal with animation issues, but this game straight up looks substantially worse, performs far worse, and those problems add up to ruin the immersion for me which is what Mass Effect is all about.

On top of that, the UI is abysmal and combat/movement feels janky as hell.

Just feels completely half-baked.

I started with adept, shifted into vanguard, and am currently using soldier. I like having extra weapons on hand, and currently have grenades, pull, and charge in my hotbar. I basically play like a vanguard with a shotgun occasionally, and otherwise I stop&pop with an assault or sniper rifle.

I fell like biotic combos are so powerful in this game and AF is ridiculous once you level it up. I cant imagine playing as anything other then a biotic.

abundant

You're probably past this point, but make sure to choose the right training at the beginning of the game, because it'll unlock the corresponding profile. That way you can choose Scrapper and have the Vanguard profile unlocked right out of the gate instead of unlocking it when you have enough points infested in the Combat and Biotic tree.

I fell like biotic combos are so powerful in this game and AF is ridiculous once you level it up. I cant imagine playing as anything other then a biotic.

They are, but I was doing one mission that you tackle from a pretty far distance and I laid out something like a half a dozen kett before any of them even realized where I was, and another half dozen after, just with my widow.

Personally, I want to start levelling the tech path but I don't know if I will; I always neglect the tech powers in every ME game and I planned originally to correct that but it just didn't work out that way.

It is just sloppy execution. The development issues they had now make sense. At this point I honestly think they need to just merge Montreal with Edmonton. They were not able to handle a mainline AAA game even with 5+ years.

The Kett, The Angara, what it means to actually find sentient and evolved humanoid life in the Andromeda galaxy 2 million light years away from the milky way, no mass relays or Protheans helping them etc. And it is very underwhelming.

Agreed. Everyone feels so nonchalant about the magnitude of what they're involved in. The writers and story people really missed the mark on instilling the right sense of fear, anxiety, wonder and curiosity that I would expect from characters on this type of mission.

Madness

You're probably past this point, but make sure to choose the right training at the beginning of the game, because it'll unlock the corresponding profile. That way you can choose Scrapper and have the Vanguard profile unlocked right out of the gate instead of unlocking it when you have enough points infested in the Combat and Biotic tree.

If you default, you're not given a choice and start as basic soldier. I have been able to get Vanguard and Adept with some Biotic skills. Don't really know how else to improve my Ryder character. All the squadmates have surpassed in health and shields. Will probably just re-spec and change it around.

Nekrono

SOS written in giant letters on an Angara escape pod. Hm.

The entire introduction to the Angara was hilariously clunky; that's good, because otherwise it'd just be bizarrely disappointing.

As stated in my previous post, BioWare really dropped the ball there. So rushed and sloppy. Once he was in my ship and after that small meeting cutscene with the crew I was like WTF.... what a shit introduction.

I played the first 15 hours or so as mostly an Adept with Singularity, Throw and Overload but recently I changed to Pull, Overload and Overcharge or whatever the name is, it's the power that supercharges your weapon, I play it with the Vanguard or Soldier profile and it's been really fun and effective!

I'm really enjoying my squad mates post Eos. Which is great because I was really worried about that at first Cora and company don't jump immediately. But Coras relationship with you is actually really interesting. I won't spoil but I like a lot of the rest of them as well.

Miggytronz

I'm playing this on my PS4 Pro and it has to be the worst choppiest piece of shit I've ever played! The hell man. Is this getting patched?!

Im playing as a Biotic and between all the new skills im lost. Also have no clue whats best to invest research into.

So lost in Biotics myself. Going to look and see if there are any similarities between the ME3 Biotic and this one. I remember having an insane Biotic build in ME3 lol. What I do know is Charge is getting maxed ASAP. Love that skill.

DeaDPo0L84

So lost in Biotics myself. Going to look and see if there are any similarities between the ME3 Biotic and this one. I remember having an insane Biotic build in ME3 lol.

I tried sticking with the usual charge/shotgun combo but want to mix it up so switched to pull/throw and been having a blast. Im thinking of picking up Lance cause it seems to work better with pull/throw.

Vic_Viper

In a given horizontal or vertical line, no symbol can repeat. Usually, you start by looking for a horizontal or vertical line that has all but one symbol filled out and then one by one you'll be able to fill them in. Harder puzzles, without such an obvious startpoint may require a little more thinking ahead or a little trial/error.

I think later they added more wrinkles so that beyond that, you also have to have no repeats within a portioned off area of the grid as well.

Thanks!

RoKKeR

I can't get over how awkward and strange your first encounter on the Nexus is... such an incredible opportunity, but completely squandered.

Agreed. Everyone feels so nonchalant about the magnitude of what they're involved in. The writers and story people really missed the mark on instilling the right sense of fear, anxiety, wonder and curiosity that I would expect from characters on this type of mission.

Yeah there is a bit of that. Typical modern writing though. Too self aware. Too much 'Hey look at us, we're space dudes on a mission fighting aliens. Isn't that cool'. The original Mass Effects had quips and stuff but they basically avoided self-referential writing, which was great. People never acted like they were aware of the fact they were in a space opera.

Several of the writers in this game are constantly trying to wink to the audience. Hacks.

Yup. My chief complaint as well. The game doesn't convey an adequate level of gravitas.

Compare the things that concern Cora and Liam with Solas or Vivienne, it's really night and day.

Nekrono

Can't argue there. The introduction of the Kett was very early and even though the exposition wasn't great it did have this "summer blockbuster" movie vibe. It could have been done much better and cleverly but it was ok in the end, I'm hoping their story get's more interesting down the line.

But the whole Angara sequence and introduction... man they really fucked it up there. The whole tone of the game is based around exploration, discovery, new species and mystery, which they completely threw out of the window in exchange of this rushed nonsensical explanation just so you can have another team member.

I get that you don't like it [and that's fine] but I don't think they really 'missed the mark'.

They said from the start this was supposed to be a lighthearted game and characters wouldn't really take things seriously.

They've been forward since day one about ME:A supposed to basically be a comedy.

Freeman76

I'm playing this on my PS4 Pro and it has to be the worst choppiest piece of shit I've ever played! The hell man. Is this getting patched?!

It will definitely get patched, Bioware need to save face and you can guarantee they will get some of their better staff to sort this shit out.

There is no excuse for this really, I can tell there is a great game here, but its delivered in such a half arsed way there is no way I am buying this at full price and supporting this type of shenanigans. The EA access trial has showed me enough to know I will look forward to playing when its sorted though.

I get that you don't like it [and that's fine] but I don't think they really 'missed the mark'.

They said from the start this was supposed to be a lighthearted game and characters wouldn't really take things seriously.

They've been forward since day one about ME:A supposed to basically be a comedy.
What?

Need sources.

Yeah there is a bit of that. Typical modern writing though. Too self aware. Too much 'Hey look at us, we're space dudes on a mission fighting aliens. Isn't that cool'. The original Mass Effects had quips and stuff but they basically avoided self-referential writing, which was great. People never acted like they were aware of the fact they were in a space opera.

Several of the writers in this game are constantly trying to wink to the audience. Hacks.

it's fundamentally an amateur version of 'the josh whedon school of not-so-sly humor & witty banter' :) ...

What?

Need sources.

http://gamingbolt.com/mass-effect-a...s-being-lighter-will-be-more-character-driven

"Walters also talked about how the devs are looking to make the story just a little more light hearted. The reason for this isn’t necessarily because the devs didn’t like the way the older stories unfolded. Rather the devs have looked at changing it up because they heard from players that they didn’t like taking on a bunch of side stories, when the main mission made it out to look as though the universe was about to come to an end."

Okay he doesn't straight up say comedy [my bad], but I think this is what they were going for and we got it. They wanted lower stakes in some ways, and more room for things to be light.

Maledict

Then they are idiots who shouldn't have been let near a major game design.

You don't change the tone of a major series 4 games in, that's already suffering from bad feelings after the last game. It's a space opera, not some dumb whedon flick.

So lost in Biotics myself. Going to look and see if there are any similarities between the ME3 Biotic and this one. I remember having an insane Biotic build in ME3 lol. What I do know is Charge is getting maxed ASAP. Love that skill.

Charge + Nova was my go-to. Used one after the other, it's a perfect combo. Feels really weighty and powerful. Followed up with shotgun or melee for any clean-up.

I used Lance as the third power. Felt a good mid- to long-range starter, can wipe away a Shield almost immediately.

You don't change the tone of a major series 4 games in, that's already suffering from bad feelings after the last game.

Isn't that exactly why you change the tone? Because the first three games were a very self-contained, cohesive trilogy, which means an incredible uphill battle to match? Change the game, change the tone, do a soft reset -- but keep the lore, gameplay, and spirit that people loved about that game.

eliza0224

I don't know if I'm too rusty or the online is hard. I feel like I barely do damage to enemies :(

Oh well, I have to format the PS4 anyways since I keep getting an error 😭

Lanf

For those who played a lot of the game so far, is there any hubs similar to Illium(big city full of tall skyscrapers) or Omega?

Yeah, there are.
The Angara home, Aya. Feels a bit like Ilium I guess, it's futuristic, peaceful and with markets and shit. And there is Kandara, the port of call of exiles and pirates, feels a lot like they wanted to go for a Omega feel there. Or that port from Star Wars, Mos Eisley.

Jocund

What?

Need sources.
They mention this somewhere in the Game Informer coverage for the game in November 2016. Walters said that while there's stakes in the story, they started first with the characters, and they wanted that to be the crux of the experience.

BioWare didn't want the stakes in the main quest to be so high that it would be strange for the Pathfinder to go off and do a dozen sidequests on a whim. I don't see anything about them wanting it to be a comedy, but they definitely went into development wanting a lighter narrative.

Edit: Oh, Durrzerker already found the source. Cool.

I don't know if I'm too rusty or the online is hard. I feel like I barely do damage to enemies :(

Oh well, I have to format the PS4 anyways since I keep getting an error 😭

As you level up and get better powers/weapons you will do more. They also made the mp much more difficult this time.

Couple questions:

Anyone using Lance and what are your thoughts? I'm rollin infiltrator right now, with an assault turret (i like sniper rifles) and need another long distance power.

Jaal. Thoughts on him? I think my plan is to roll with him and Drack for the majority of the game (as he seems like the new/interesting species). Is he well written?

You don't change the tone of a major series 4 games in, that's already suffering from bad feelings after the last game. It's a space opera, not some dumb whedon flick.

image.php

Anyone using Lance and what are your thoughts? I'm rollin infiltrator right now, with an assault turret (i like sniper rifles) and need another long distance power.

Jaal. Thoughts on him? I think my plan is to roll with him and Drack for the majority of the game (as he seems like the new/interesting species). Is he well written?

Jaal is incredibly well-written. He's my favorite party member because he's endlessly interesting and doesn't reveal everything about himself right away. Really interesting species dynamics there.

Lance was in my rotation for almost the entire game. Spec'ed out for damage and with the Adept profile, it can take away an entire enemy shield with one hit.

From a gameplay perspective, BioWare really nails it here - it's fun to play. When it comes to the writing, dialog and NPC design choices - did they hire people from Tumblr who came up with the best fan-fiction for the Mass Effect universe or something? Only gripes with the game so far.

DeaDPo0L84

So considering researching my first assault rifle and wondering if any one has any tips. Could do milky way for familiar weapon type but kinda curious about remnant.

I feel you on the writing not being completely there, and in some instances it's pretty bad, but calling the people who worked on this idiots bc you're not into how it's playing out is a little out-of-touch, yo.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I like this game. Hate be damned. It's a fun, beautiful game.

The Meta score is warranted though. As fun as it is, it's nothing fresh or revolutionary- a lot of been here done that. 7.5 is fair. Still, the overall experience so far has been very, very good.

The sound design in this game is GREAT btw. Love the sound of the guns. Soooo gooood

megalowho

After the first 10 hours or so I've been able to let go of some of my frustrations and hangups and I've been enjoying the game more as a result. There's just enough mystery, satisfying powers, NPC's to chat up and systems where the numbers go up to keep me invested.

I may be going through the motions at times, frustrated with the reliance on old tropes and missed opportunities for a frontier galaxy setting, wincing through some of the writing and nodding off while scanning planets, but there's enough Mass Effect in here to scratch the itch. Still keeping the game at arms length but not feeling the outright derision I did after the introduction.

I like this game. Hate be damned. It's a fun, beautiful game.

The Meta score is warranted though. As fun as it is, it's nothing fresh or revolutionary- a lot of been here done that. 7.5 is fair. Still, the overall experience so far has been very, very good.

The sound design in this game is GREAT btw. Love the sound of the guns. Soooo gooood
One of my favorite things about this game is the sound design (I miss old ME synth way too much, but yea). Playing mp with 3 friends with powers, bullets, and lasers flying everywhere sounds fuckin awesome lol.

Top Bottom