• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

I love having Drack in my squad. He just smashes things to smithereens, and I love hearing that roar when he activates Blood Rage.

I'd love if we got a Krogan class like him in multiplayer.

The Apex HQ app is very well done. Love that you can manage your strike teams and also your MP character loadouts remotely. Something to do while at work. :p

I totally came to the thread just now to make a post about the app. It is so well done. Everyone really should grab it. I havent even turned on my xbox today and I have already completed 2 strike team missions. You get xp and loot chests for doing them, and there is an achievement for completing a certain number of them.

emag

Yep. You run into Tali, Garrus, and Wrex on the citadel while you're trying to find evidence of Saren's guilt. Tali is mandatory, because she has the evidence from the Geth tech, you run into Garrus immediately after your meeting with the council, and you run into Wrex around C-Sec. I feel like Wrex might be missable? Truth is I found him on accident in my first playthrough, and on subsequent plays I always went straight to him.

You can skip recruiting Garrus or Wrex, but not both. Wrex is easier to avoid, of course.

The only one that's really possibly a late game pickup is Liara, if you do her mission last (and make her go nuts). :D

Not taking Liara to the showdown with Benezia should be grounds for a perma-ban. ;)

If you have Pathfinder II, I don't think you'll ever see the I iteration.

But I have everything Pathfinder I but the chest. Pathfinder I set needs platinum to craft, while II needs titanium.

Or maybe the other way around. But my guess is I won't find the II set materials for a while.

ironcreed

Banned
game is great

1xuae2.png

2c8lia.png

3fjlha.png

1bhWaAv.gif

I was wondering if there was an app like ME3! Can't believe I didn't find this. Downloading now.

Enjoy! It really is a nice little app.

I totally came to the thread just now to make a post about the app. It is so well done. Everyone really should grab it. I havent even turned on my xbox today and I have already completed 2 strike team missions. You get xp and loot chests for doing them, and there is an achievement for completing a certain number of them.

Currently saving up for a third strike team, so I can increase my mission farming. The loot you get in single player from doing these is definitely worth it.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It seems that I missed the Pathfinder I chest blueprint along the way, while I've already got Pathfinder II set completed.

Anyone know where can I get it?

My Pathfinder II gear only crafts Pathfinder I gear, and it's lumped with the tier 1 stuff....I already have the Pathfinder Elite I gear from the Deluxe version; so wonder if it's a UI bug, and that stuff is actually only Pathfinder I gear in reality (the PF2 gear stats are worse than the Pathfinder I Rare gear from Deluxe Edition)

obeast

I've played past Eos, and the game is pretty good. The 10 hour trial cut off right before Eos got interesting, in my opinion, and I really enjoyed the set piece at the end, doubly so because it was much more about spooky exploration than about combat. The jungle-themed world I hit right after is pretty beautiful, and probably would have been a better location to use when pitching the game to the playerbase.

I remain convinced that the dialogue is approximately on par with past series efforts (i.e., uneven), but there are certainly moments that simply don't make much sense.

In particular, Cora's background is preposterous. I mean (this isn't really worth spoiler tagging, but whatever),
the Adromeda initiative appeals to her because she's such a biotic badass that the Alliance military didn't know what to do with her, making her feel like an outsider? They reassigned her because she was particularly good at destroying stuff? Isn't that, like, exactly what the military wants, especially in an otherwise by-the-book soldier? The game even implies that she suffered socially because of her biotics, which is not really something that the setting has previously established in any way.

It's just such a lazy character story, seemingly crafted from the twin assumptions that 1) the game needs to establish repeatedly that she's a badass, and 2) that she needs some sort of emotional vulnerability associated with said badassery. Neither is necessary, at all.

UncleMeat

Really like the way my Ryder turned out, looks like the hero of an 80's movie.
yfy5CW1.jpg
FLASH!!!! A-AH! He's a Miracle!

I agree with someone yesterday that said they agree with the criticism but still enjoy the game. I just hope it does well enough that they get another chance to do a sequel.

Grisby

Got a question about a quest on Eos. Might have ran into a glitch.

Scanned
two glyphs for a remnant base and now it says to use the console. Tried using said console but sam just says it's inactive?

I've played past Eos, and the game is pretty good. I remain convinced that the dialogue is approximately on par with pass series efforts (i.e., uneven), but there are certainly moments that simply don't make much sense.

In particular, Cora's background is preposterous. I mean (this isn't really worth spoiler tagging, but whatever),
the Adromeda initiative appeals to her because she's such a biotic badass that the Alliance military didn't know what to do with her, making her feel like an outsider? They reassigned her because she was particularly good at destroying stuff? Isn't that, like, exactly what the military wants, especially in an otherwise by-the-book soldier? The game even implies that she suffered socially because of her biotics, which is not really something that the setting has previously established in any way.

It's just such a lazy character story, seemingly crafted from the twin assumptions that 1) the game needs to establish repeatedly that she's a badass, and 2) that she needs some sort of emotional vulnerability associated with said badassery. Neither is necessary, at all.
I agree about Cora. It felt shoehorned in and she repeatedly speaks about how powerful she is without anyone asking lol. Her
rose garden
conversation moment didn't feel genuine or believable at all imho.

Meanwhile, other characters, like PeeBee, feel well fleshed out. What drives her and motivates her actions makes sense.

Enjoy! It really is a nice little app.

Currently saving up for a third strike team, so I can increase my mission farming. The loot you get in single player from doing these is definitely worth it.

Where do you consume those loot boxes in single-player? I've accrued several of these during the review but never really looked into where they're placed.

Jamaro85

How's the PS4 version looking (running, performance rather) guys? Have it sitting waiting to be picked up at BB but wondering if I should go with the PC version.

In interested to see the DF on this, I bought it on PS4 because i had heard the pro was running at 30 pretty locked, however after completing the first mission and into the Nexus I feel as if there were a lot of sub 30 drops on the first planet, maybe these vanish later in the game.

Ps4 pro by the way.

Well that's unfortunate to hear.

ironcreed

Banned
Anyone else find that Peebee turned out a lot better than they thought she would be? I find her very likable. She even looks better than I anticipated.

Where do you consume those loot boxes in single-player? I've accrued several of these during the review but never really looked into where they're placed.
Go to the strike team console on your ship or the console on the Nexus (across from the jail cells). You can manage all of that from there.

Lister

Banned
How's the PS4 version looking (running, performance rather) guys? Have it sitting waiting to be picked up at BB but wondering if I should go with the PC version.

Well that's unfortunate to hear.

Base PS4? Frame drops down from 30, pop-in, What are your PC specs?

Anyone else find that Peebee turned out a lot better than they thought she would be? I find her very likable. She even looks better than I anticipated.

Yep, it was a real toss-up for my male Ryder to romance her or Cora. Ultimately,
I got both -- a fling with Peebee that was discarded for something permanent with Cora.

ironcreed

Banned
I mean, look at EatChildren's pic here:

1xuae2.png

She actually has a great design. She also seems to have complexity and the voice actress did a wonderful job of conveying her quirky, but driven personality.

I love her character. Also I feel like I'm crazy when I see people say how bad this is compared to Mass Effect trilogy. Like I can't even pretend to understand.

obeast

I agree about Cora. It felt shoehorned in and she repeatedly speaks about how powerful she is without anyone asking lol. Her
rose garden
conversation moment didn't feel genuine or believable at all imho.

Meanwhile, other characters, like PeeBee, feel well fleshed out. What drives her and motivates her actions makes sense.

Yeah, I think they dropped the ball with her. It's doubly annoying because it remains unclear how she's really any different from an "ordinary" powerful biotic, at least in the parts I've played, so the net effect is simply to make her seem egotistical and/or self-pitying.

They should have played up the conflict over
getting passed over for the pathfinder role in favor of the player
, which would have been an interesting basis for her character arc, but as best I can tell that's well on its way to being resolved already.

Yeah, I think they dropped the ball with her. It's doubly annoying because it remains unclear how she's really any different from an "ordinary" powerful biotic, at least in the parts I've played, so the net effect is simply to make her seem egotistical and/or self-pitying.

They should have played up the conflict over
getting passed over for the pathfinder role in favor of the player
, which would have been an interesting basis for her character arc, but as best I can tell that's well on its way to being resolved already.
Simply saying things like
"I'm upset I was passed over, but actually it's fine" doesn't carry any weight whatsoever. Pointless to even have that aspect present if that's as far as they'll expand on the matter, narratively.
That being said, I'm still only 11hrs into the game so perhaps it'll be delved into more later.

I would really like a future patch to revamp the quest interface. Even just an option to "flatten" the quests into one long list instead of having to click down into different folders, would really be helpful, and that seems like a totally doable thing.

I would really like a future patch to revamp the quest interface. Even just an option to "flatten" the quests into one long list instead of having to click down into different folders, would really be helpful, and that seems like a totally doable thing.
I'd be in favor of that. One long list with priority missions weighted to the top would be good for me. Perhaps a toggle between one master list and one that separates everything like the menu that is currently present.

ironcreed

Banned
I love her character. Also I feel like I'm crazy when I see people say how bad this is compared to Mass Effect trilogy. Like I can't even pretend to understand.

Yep, I am just baffled. You are doing the same types of quests, building a squad with some great characters, traveling the stars, exploring mysteries and even unraveling things about your own life, fighting for a cause and trying to prove yourself when it's obvious that people are unsure about you. Like I said last night, I feel like I am playing ME1 all over again, yet with a new story, new characters and better gameplay in more open environments. This is Mass Effect.

uberTerminus

Neo Member
Just before going into the transporter on the Nexus for the first time, I had something curious happen. The interface overlay disappeared. I could still move Ryder, but opening a menu produced a black screen and getting into conversation just had Ryder staring at the other person with no conversation wheel.

I've played past Eos, and the game is pretty good. The 10 hour trial cut off right before Eos got interesting, in my opinion, and I really enjoyed the set piece at the end, doubly so because it was much more about spooky exploration than about combat. The jungle-themed world I hit right after is pretty beautiful, and probably would have been a better location to use when pitching the game to the playerbase.

I remain convinced that the dialogue is approximately on par with past series efforts (i.e., uneven), but there are certainly moments that simply don't make much sense.

Yup. Even Kaidan, the most boring of all ME1's cast, was much more relatable and thoughtful by comparison.

Con Con

This game is a blast. I'm 16 hours in, and I've barely scratched the surface. As soon as I saw how populated the first outpost on Eos was, I knew this game was deeper than I thought.

I don't understand the hate. I honestly think it's just popular to pile on Bioware these days. As another fan of the original trilogy, I want people to know this game is GOOD!

obeast

Yep, I am just baffled. You are doing the same types of quests, building a squad with some great characters, traveling the stars, exploring mysteries and even unraveling things about your own life, fighting for a cause and trying to prove yourself when it's obvious that people are unsure about you. Like I said last night, I feel like I am playing ME1 all over again, yet with a new story, new characters and better gameplay in more open environments. This is Mass Effect.

Yeah, to a certain extent I think people are overstating the differences with the original series, especially in dialogue and narrative.

My greatest complaint so far: no fucking quicksave. How is this a thing? I've played for ~10 hours, and I've already had at least 3 situations in which I had to replay 20+ minutes of content because my autosaves got overwritten. I should not be forced into the menu system at regular intervals to keep an up-to-date save that can't get overwritten.

Jamaro85

Base PS4? Frame drops down from 30, pop-in, What are your PC specs?

i5-7600K with RX 480. I played the trial and it's usually in the 60-85 range on high which I'd take over 30, but if the console can run 30 steadily enough I'd be willing to go with that with the price I got the game at ($38) and with perhaps having a couple people I know playing MP.

So yeah I have the Pro, and was thinking that if it can hold 30 FPS well enough I'd probably lean that way. If not, eh... while I'm sure it'd play fine I'd probably just eschew MP with friends and go with a more consistent frame rate.

Yeah I'm enjoying the game more and more as I get further into the story (I just reached Havarl).

I really think the subpar character models and animation are making such a bad first impression with people that they become determined to not give other aspects of the game a fair shake. To be frank, a lot of the other complaints people have leveled at the game ring hollow to me. "New characters aren't as cool and memorable as Garrus/Liara/etc."-- no shit, Garrus had three games to build up his rep and your friendship, a newcomer will never be able to compete with that before they've had their own shot. "Conversations slow the pace down"-- uh, have you ever played a Mass Effect game before?

Unfortunately the charges against the face rigging and character animation are totally deserved and they're no one's fault but BioWare's. I feel that if they had just made sure that the game really delivered in this ONE area, the overall reception it would be getting right now would be VERY different.

ajanke

Got a question about a quest on Eos. Might have ran into a glitch.

Scanned
two glyphs for a remnant base and now it says to use the console. Tried using said console but sam just says it's inactive?

Something similar happened to me. I just left the area and came back and it fixed.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Yeah man. I'm only about 3 hours in but I am loving the heck out of this game so far. Sure it has some odd graphical glitches/jank and some of lines are cheesy. But the combat is awesome, the story has me hooked, and holy shit does this game look good.

I seriously can't get over how beautiful the environments are. These are the kind of alien worlds we only dreamed about exploring back in the ME1 days.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Trying to find the last generator to take down a shield on part of the Eos mission. Get into Nomad.

Press triangle to get out. Woops. Wrong button. LEFT THE ENTIRE PLANET.

Time to drive all the way back there...
how do you summon the Nomad lol

I've been avoiding all content on this game completely since the trailer in November. So I have no idea who any of the squadmates are except the Asari (or one of them? no idea). I don't want to look them up but I don't want to miss one so I'll ask - are any of the squadmates missable? Or otherwise avoidable for a long time? It's important to me to get them all asap!

Absolutely. Couldn't stand her in the pre-releas stuff but she's turned out so much better.

Same with Drack. Thought he would be a cheap knockoff if Wrex but I love that he's actually a bit of a doting grandpa.

nOoblet16

Ok I'm really liking the game, played for about 28-30 hours and I've seen all the major planets now and I can confidently say that Eos is the worst one out of all followed by that Jungle planet. In the later planets you actually get proper settlements and towns. I haven't been to the Nexus in like 10 hours now because I've been going around doing a lot of other stuff...lol

I'm not really seeing how this is worse than the "shoot 10 billion Cerberus everywhere and have a shit ending" game honestly, ME2 is amazing because it has great pacing and always seemed to be on crack.

Nemesis_

The characters that I think I'll hate I always end up loving in my squad. Miranda, Peebee are the two most recent examples I can think of that.

I actually like most of the crew this time around. But why are the humans always so boring? I'll never understand. Cora is okay but still boring and lots of hamfisted stuff about her past.

I also want them to give a Krogan with a different personality next game. I'm a bit over those.

As for Jaal. My god. What a cool guy. I just wonder tho, if you didn't bring him along with you on most of the Priority Ops, how much you'd miss. He provides so much insight into andromeda and his story with the kett also leads to some pretty great character moments.

I've been avoiding all content on this game completely since the trailer in November. So I have no idea who any of the squadmates are except the Asari (or one of them? no idea). I don't want to look them up but I don't want to miss one so I'll ask - are any of the squadmates missable? Or otherwise avoidable for a long time? It's important to me to get them all asap!

No. You get them all early in the game and none are missable.

Top Bottom