• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

JMY86

That secondary on Eos of installing survey hammers...

That battle with the Architect was awesome. I wasn't expecting that when I started the mission. I mined water instead of natural gas, are there any consequences for choosing that?

Yeah that was very surprising but very fun. It took me about 20 minutes to kill it I was completely unprepared for that fight I only had my Biotics a shotgun and SMG in my loadout.

hbkdx12

Romance spoilers

I just slept with liam, and then the convo after i had to choose whether to keep things open or if it was just a one night stand.

If i keep things open does that cut off my romance options with everyone else? I'm trying to get the multiple romance trophy

DeaDPo0L84

Just traded this in to amazon for $36. Hate to lose the money but it was the Nomad that did it. Trying to creep up a hill at 10km/hour just absolutely SUCKS. Bye game.

Were you not switching gears and using boost? I have zero upgrades and get up most hills just fine. Seems like a silly thing to quit the game over especially cause you can upgrade to make it even easier. To each their own though.

Maledict

Romance spoilers

I just slept with liam, and then the convo after i had to choose whether to keep things open or if it was just a one night stand.

If i keep things open does that cut off my romance options with everyone else? I'm trying to get the multiple romance trophy

The trophy is for multiple playthroughs. I don't think it's possible to get it in a single playthrough.

abundant

That sounds awesome! I always wanted to check the Vanguard profile out.

What skills did you pick for those 3 abilities? I can't decide how I want to evolve them

I can answer this one. You can evolve Nova however you like, but for Charge and Annihilation, focus on the skills that give you +Shields.

aliengmr

Does this big octopus like remnant appear in the game or this was cut?

https://youtu.be/pyZw_oqk7Q8?t=1m9s

yes, its in.

Just traded this in to amazon for $36. Hate to lose the money but it was the Nomad that did it. Trying to creep up a hill at 10km/hour just absolutely SUCKS. Bye game.

Seriously? That's what did it? It's more annoying that in order to do something on the Tempest I must leave the damn planet. Or the quest journal/map/inventory interface being an absolute mess.

Did you upgrade it? Use boost?

ResoRai

Because I find it weird that they arrived in Andromeda first, that nobody overtook them. They were travelling for 600 years, if any other ending besides refusal would be canon then there would already be hundreds of colonies waiting for the Andromeda initiative when they arrived. In control and especially in Synthesis ending the galaxy's technology level jumped by a massive amount so obviously the would be like "hey, you know those Andromeda guys? We should catch up with them and bring them the news and more advanced tech."
In the control/synthesis ending, when Shepard's DNA or w/e gets sent throughout the galaxy using the mass relays, you can see the rings inside them break and float into space.
Considering the entire galaxy had just dealt with the most devastating war ever, I'm not surprised they didn't pursue those heading to Andromeda.
Rebuilding the mass relays, colonies, and even whole world's seems like a lot to tackle on top of sending another couple thousands of different species to Andromeda to catch up with the others, even with the reapers help. There was so much death and devastation.
But yeah 600 years is a long time. I guess it depends on how far their tech advanced with the help of the reapers/synthesis.

nOoblet16

I think the part that bugs me, is that we pulled tens of thousands of useful, dangerous, highly trained people that could have been used to fight the Reapers. Hell, you even have
an ex-Spectre that you run into. Not the mention Zaeed's son.

Ah well. I still like the setting. It's better than trying to play a game during the Contact Wars with the Turians. Or playing the Skylian Blitz or some such thing. The originally trilogy worked because you were a Spectre, which meant you could pretty much do whatever the hell you wanted. It gave you freedom in a galaxy that had tons of rules and red tape that would have shut you down otherwise. Same with Andromeda, you're free to do what you want, since you're the force of change.
People didn't even believe reaper's existed when Andromeda Initiative launched...much less when it was being worked upon.

hbkdx12

The trophy is for multiple playthroughs. I don't think it's possible to get it in a single playthrough.

There's no one bioware has the stones to force you to play through the game 3 times just for a trophy although it'd be funny if they did

I'm just going to call it a one night stand and see how things play out with everyone else

Caleb187

I've had trouble getting up a few hills in the fast wheel formation but switching to the slower but powerful wheel formation and using boost I'm able to get over them. This is without any nomad upgrades too. Did you not know about changing the wheel formation on the nomad?

Rellik

There's no one bioware has the stones to force you to play through the game 3 times just for a trophy although it'd be funny if they did

I'm just going to call it a one night stand and see how things play out with everyone else

Why not? They technically have done before with the level 60 trophy in Mass Effect 1.

CSJ

Lmao this one of these missions in the game, just got to
Kadara
and this is how the quest chain went.

1: Find Planet
2: Get told to land on planet
3: Cut scene
4: Load on to planet and get told to walk back to the ship and board it, no steps in between, loading again...
5: Another cut scene on ship.
6: Get told to ......do nothing else except go back down to the planet with the same loading screen.

To top it all off, the E to use key on doors on this damned place for some reason takes about 6 seconds instead of instant, it's like they ran out of idea of how to prolong the game.

For fuck sake, what a stupid design.

To top it all off, the E to use key on doors on this damned place for some reason takes about 6 seconds instead of instant, it's like they ran out of idea of how to prolong the game.

Yeah this drives me fucking crazy. Why does that one area require 6 seconds of holding to open the doors? It's insane.

nOoblet16

Your Nomad can go up to 40-60km/hour on hills and this is without any upgrades or boost or building momentum.

You can build momentum in 4WD mode then use boost and switch to 6WD when at peak speed and you'll climb the hill at like 80-90km/hour. I don't see how anyone can have issues with it unless they didn't even try to experiment a bit, it takes 5 minutes to figure it out.

nOoblet16

Yeah this drives me fucking crazy. Why does that one area require 6 seconds of holding to open the doors? It's insane.
Yea I don't understand this either, it's definitely not loading the next area because you can clip the camera through the door and you'll see everything rendered there. Infact this one time I clipped through the door accidentally and went past it without having to open it. I don't understand why we have to hold Your to open any door in this game tbh, there are doors in Nexus that open on their own and take the same amount of time i.e. 1-2 seconds.

I guess you boost your planet viability by setting up outposts and forward stations? Or does side quests you do also factor in and those remnant things with caches and whatnot?

Currently set up outpost on that ice planet and have 87% viability and ~80% on Eos.

nOoblet16

I'm talking about this creature by the way

http://i.picpar.com/L4qc.png

In the trailer it seems to be attacking Alec.
Yes we are talking about the same, you fight it in the game and multiple times. They are called The Architects.

I guess you boost your planet viability by setting up outposts and forward stations? Or does side quests you do also factor in and those remnant things with caches and whatnot?
Everything you do boosts the viability, getting at 40% viability allows you to set up outposts provided you have cleared up the problems/tensions on that planet. And even after you hit 100% you can get viability points that go towards your cumulative Andromeda Viability Points (AVP) which you can then use to unlock more cryo pods from The Tempest that allows you to get bonus perks/materials etc.

Maledict

In the control/synthesis ending, when Shepard's DNA or w/e gets sent throughout the galaxy using the mass relays, you can see the rings inside them break and float into space.
Considering the entire galaxy had just dealt with the most devastating war ever, I'm not surprised they didn't pursue those heading to Andromeda.
Rebuilding the mass relays, colonies, and even whole world's seems like a lot to tackle on top of sending another couple thousands of different species to Andromeda to catch up with the others, even with the reapers help. There was so much death and devastation.
But yeah 600 years is a long time. I guess it depends on how far their tech advanced with the help of the reapers/synthesis.

No-one is ever going to Andromeda logically. Remember, 99% of the Milky Way is unexplored by the time of Mass Effect 3. Even in 600 years citedal space isn't going to have colonized anywhere NEAR that to the point where they start going to go other galaxies.

There's no realistic reason to go to Andromeda unless there's something specific pushing us to go there. It won't happen naturally in 600 years unless maybe we develop an FTL drive that can thousands of lights years per hour or something.

aliengmr

Currently set up outpost on that ice planet and have 87% viability and ~80% on Eos.

Doing quests has an effect. Usually ones involving the elimination of whatever enemy or threat is there. (beyond the environment)

abundant

All you really have to do to get viability to 100% is to establish an outpost and
take down the Kett Base.

Man, those aliens you meet in the second planet are so goofy looking, especially the female physique. The shoulders especially are all kinds of messed up.

Not a fan of the Kett's look either. Their giant eyes make them look more cartoonish/gentle than alien/evil.

With how bad the human faces are in this game, I greatly prefer all the alien races that are least human as possible like the Krogan and the Salarians.

Trickster

*sigh*...This game and it's superficial as fuck sidequests are really bugging me at this stage.

Voeld Sidequest spoiler -
After defeating the big Kett base on Voeld, you can now enter the previously shielded frozen city. You enter it, and uncover and ancient Angara AI
. Great you might think, time for some juicy revelations and lore. Nope,
AI whines that it's tired of life and would rather die, and the first dialogue wheel choice you get is to kill it or take it alive

In any fucking proper rpg you would have some options here beyond, or at least before, the choice you are forced to make.

nOoblet16

*sigh*...This game and it's superficial as fuck sidequests are really bugging me at this stage.

After defeating the big Kett base on Voeld, you can now enter the previously shielded frozen city. You enter it, and uncover and ancient Angara AI
AI whines that it's tired of life and would rather die, and the first dialogue wheel choice you get is to kill it or take it alive

In any fucking proper rpg you would have some options here beyond, or at least before, the choice you are forced to make.

Considering that's a mid level side quest I thought it was pretty good, long and detailed with references made to it afterwards as well, there are other high level side quests like character quests or quests that link and lead from one to another which receive much more attention. Point being as with all games not all side quests are equal and for side quest that's not as important as others it's pretty alright. Infact even the bottom level side quests like those under "Additional tasks" sometimes end up becoming mid level side quests with throwback to past games or additional lore.

Wow.

Kesh the Krogan, terrible voice acting. It sounds like some $2 scrub.

Eh? What's so terrible about her voice. She doesn't sound much different from Eve in Mass Effect 3, just younger which she is.

chogidogs

The game keeps getting stuck loading my autosave. This game is officially the buggiest piece of shit I have ever played.

And, no. I don't want to replay the mission I did 30 minutes ago. Fuck you game!

sangreal

This seemed like a pretty typical mass effect quest to me. It's recorded in the codex 'journey so far' so is almost certainly a setup for something in the next game.

I'm not sure what you wanted before having to make the choices -- some fetch quests? I was glad it was just dialogue

NoPiece

Because I find it weird that they arrived in Andromeda first, that nobody overtook them. They were travelling for 600 years, if any other ending besides refusal would be canon then there would already be hundreds of colonies waiting for the Andromeda initiative when they arrived. In control and especially in Synthesis ending the galaxy's technology level jumped by a massive amount so obviously the would be like "hey, you know those Andromeda guys? We should catch up with them and bring them the news and more advanced tech."

There is a great science fiction short story with the "overtaken" premise, Far Centaurus by A. E. van Vogt written in 1944. Ship goes on a 500 year flight to Alpha Centauri with crew in suspended animation, but when it arrives, it is has already been colonized by faster ships, and society has vastly evolved over that time.

asf1944-01.jpg

The text of the story is here: http://lulz.xerq.net/TXT/far-centaurus.txt

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Considering that's a mid level side quest I thought it was pretty good, long and detailed with references made to it afterwards as well, there are other high level side quests like character quests or quests that link and lead from one to another which receive much more attention. Point being as with all games not all side quests are equal and for side quest that's not as important as others it's pretty alright. Infact even the bottom level side quests like those under "Additional tasks" sometimes end up becoming mid level side quests with throwback to past games or additional lore.

Eh? What's so terrible about her voice. She doesn't sound much different from Eve in Mass Effect 3, just younger which she is.

I mean, the quest he's talking about is literally the side-quest TO a side-quest... I wouldn't expect that to be too fleshed out. :p

Meowster

I'm alternating between Jaal and Vetra/Liam. They are probably my favorites of the playable squad but I do enjoy them all. These three just tend to have fun little dialogue and reactions to each other. Jaal is probably my favorite of them all.

Top Bottom