• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

nOoblet16

I mean, the quest he's talking about is literally the side-quest TO a side-quest... I wouldn't expect that to be too fleshed out. :p

Yep that's what I mean, obviously a side quest to a side quest won't have as much attention to detail compared to a high level side quest like character or planetary quests but given that they were still able to put some detail into it during and after the quest I'd say that's good.
I'm alternating between Jaal and Vetra/Liam. They are probably my favorites of the playable squad but I do enjoy them all. These three just tend to have fun little dialogue and reactions to each other. Jaal is probably my favorite of them all.

Jaal and Drack are the best for Banter. Drack also has some good lines with other NPCs during cutscenes. I generally make sure that atleast one of my squadmate is someone how has a connection to the planet, missions or the people in the mission.

sangreal

That would be a improvement, especially when you have to back track

Another obvious improvement would be letting you use the vidcon they put in to complete 'go back to nexus and talk to x then fly back to y' quests

Travel is such a fucking chore in this game with the stupid transitions

Trickster

Considering that's a mid level side quest I thought it was pretty good, long and detailed with references made to it afterwards as well, there are other high level side quests like character quests or quests that link and lead from one to another which receive much more attention. Point being as with all games not all side quests are equal and for side quest that's not as important as others it's pretty alright. Infact even the bottom level side quests like those under "Additional tasks" sometimes end up becoming mid level side quests with throwback to past games or additional lore.

The quest to
explore the ancient frozen city that's been hidden away under a forcefield powered by the Kett stronghold on the planet, until you took it out
. should not be a "mid level" sidequest that offer virtually zero kind of payoff. But that's just my take on it.

This seemed like a pretty typical mass effect quest to me. It's recorded in the codex 'journey so far' so is almost certainly a setup for something in the next game.

I'm not sure what you wanted before having to make the choices -- some fetch quests? I was glad it was just dialogue

???

This is what I said in the post you quoted - "Great you might think, time for some juicy revelations and lore"

So yeah, I wanted dialogue too. I just don't think I got any.

mcz117chief

There is a great science fiction short story with the "overtaken" premise, Far Centaurus by A. E. van Vogt written in 1944. Ship goes on a 500 year flight to Alpha Centauri with crew in suspended animation, but when it arrives, it is has already been colonized by faster ships, and society has vastly evolved over that time.

The text of the story is here: http://lulz.xerq.net/TXT/far-centaurus.txt

Yeah well that is actually my source for this theory lol, I really should read this though, I love this whole idea of being overtaken during a colonisation attempt.

Thanks for the link, I'll read it tomorrow :)

sangreal

This is what I said in the post you quoted - "Great you might think, time for some juicy revelations and lore"

So yeah, I wanted dialogue too. I just don't think I got any.

idk, maybe its the choices I made but I got some background on it (nothing deep) and some followup later. Like I said, I think it will be expanded in a sequel like most minor mass effect quests. I think the details are a mystery more than just unexplained. But again that depends on your choices since you can end the entire thread right there -- that's also pretty typical of the series though

Moff

Yes it is and you fight it...Multiple times.

any advice on taking it down? it's ripping me to pieces fast.
I hide behind cover and shoot the legs, then the head but it kills me too fast or I don't kill it fast enough, probably both. Are they supposed to be fought early on?

nOoblet16

The quest to
explore the ancient frozen city that's been hidden away under a forcefield powered by the Kett stronghold on the planet, until you took it out
. should not be a "mid level" sidequest that offer virtually zero kind of payoff. But that's just my take on it.
But it's literally a side quest to another side quest. Your point in the spoiler can have two perspective, first being what you said and the other being that the fact that it's a unique location and pretty expansive in length only tells you that more thought was put into it than it deserves.

sangreal

I hide behind cover and shoot the legs, then the head but it kills me too fast or I don't kill it fast enough, probably both. Are they supposed to be fought early on?

I would just come back and fight it later when you have some upgraded weapons. I found the first one pretty easy but I did it after a few planets. You're not missing any amazing rewards

hbkdx12

Got a black widow V from a strike team reward. I'd like to put some augs on it but in order to do so i have buy all the blueprints from 1 to 5. This seems like such a waste of resources. I should be able to just buy the 5th level blueprint if i'm already holding the 5th level gun.

The game's slow start followed immediately by Eos creates such a poor fucking first impression. MEA is so much better after you finish the vault on that planet

Zakalwe

Banned
Played about two hours on PS4 and, aside from the cheesy writing (which is pretty much standard for the series) and the quality of the animations, first impressions are pretty good.

The first planet looked fantastic. The jet pack is much more responsive than I thought it would be. The lack of squad power control is jarring, but the higher maneuverability evens it out a little.

So far this is better than expected.

sangreal

jumping is such a great addition. I was just playing ME3 last week and was thinking how the dumb inability to not jump reminded me of SWG. Oddly enough, ME:A really reminds me of SW:TOR

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finally, rid of the desert and into an Ice planet now. Really love the dark moody atmosphere of this place.

masseffect_andromeda_txu55.png

masseffect_andromeda_ivupv.png

masseffect_andromeda_q8umv.png

nOoblet16

You can take them pretty early and rather easily, it'll be long but not really difficult. Its attacks are heavily telegraphed and all you need to do is just dodge out of the way during the head attack.

What I used is Infiltrator profile with Incinerate, Lance and Cloak with a low fire rate high damage Assault Rifle and a similar Sniper Rifle, I also had incendiary ammo. I would start the fight by taking a cloaked sniper shot then follow it up with the AR (incendiary ammo) to take down the leg..you can take it down real fast this way and you need to take 50% of the leg health in 30 seconds otherwise it spawns enemies. After this you have all the time in the world to attack the head, do it however you want, take cloaked sniper shots or pop out from angle to shoot a bit then rotate position to the other side and do the same. Using Incinerate and then Lance also does heavy damage since it's a combo. When it spawns enemies just stay at your location and wait for them to come to you and attack the architect only after you kill all teh spawns.

The most important thing about this battle is to find a cover that's wide enough and near ammo/health boxes. This is so that you can dodge around and still have some cover, the cover is actually not for the Architect but the enemies that spawn...as such it only needs to be wide not tall.

Motsie

Neo Member

+ Keep moving - cover will not protect you from the grenade attack and from the beam attack.
+ The Grenades are easy to dodge as is the beam. The thing to look for is the area-of-effect electricity that's left where the beam hits. It's temporary but will eat away at your shields if you linger in it.
+ Only take cover when it uses the turret. I try to use objects that completely block line of sight (pillars and large buildings) rather than low-lying cover.
+ Kill the Remnants that it spawns. The Eos Architect does not attack when the Remnant are running around.

killroy87

Quick question, haven't played the game yet. Are progression for Single player and multi player separate? So, in a world where I want to play SP on my PC, but MP with my bud on PS4, would that be possible and not hinder me in any way?

sangreal

Quick question, haven't played the game yet. Are progression for Single player and multi player separate? So, in a world where I want to play SP on my PC, but MP with my bud on PS4, would that be possible and not hinder me in any way?

for the most part, yeah. The only tie-in is apex missions which give you like 100 credits so it isn't a big deal

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gotta agree with this. Even though I can change his appearance, it's really hard to get past the "millennial Nathan Drake" aspect to Male Ryder. There's just a tone to his voice (and to how his dialogue is written), that just stops me from suspending disbelief and breaks the role play. It was never a problem with Shepard.

I couldn't stand the way he sounded after an hour. Restarted with his sister, she's much better.

So I'm at my buddies house and he's playing on standard PS4 and just an ok 1080p TV. Not only does he not have the horrid framerate conversation drops especially on the tempest. But the textures are better. Not sure if it's just the result of 4k with lower res textures or what. But it's clear they absolutely should have done a 1080p/60fps mode on pro and that something is wrong with the pro version comparitively. My friends with Pro's are all confirming this as well. It's texture streaming issues too.

hbkdx12

That Bioware feeling when you are not getting Jaal yet but you are getting crewmember gossips about him
I got an email from Gil saying that he was taking everyones money in poker and that they've gotten jaal to try to help them all the while i had never even met jaal or stepped foot on aya

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I'm at my buddies house and he's playing on standard PS4 and just an ok 1080p TV. Not only does he not have the horrid framerate conversation drops especially on the tempest. But the textures are better. Not sure if it's just the result of 4k with lower res textures or what. But it's clear they absolutely should have done a 1080p/60fps mode on pro and that something is wrong with the pro version comparitively. My friends with Pro's are all confirming this as well. It's texture streaming issues too.

I was afraid this was the case.

Did you notice a difference in input lag on a normal ps4?

Seems that the ps pro version is the worst sku. I really hope we get a patch for it. I'd gladly play the normal ps4 version without supersampling if the input lag was gone.

Maybe next firmware Sony can put an option to disable the pro entirely so games will let you play the normal PS4 version for when devs mess up this bad.

Noticed something else I don't like. There are no weight bonuses past 100%. What the fuck? I want my Assualt rifle/pistol powers combo. All these steps backwards...

As a fellow black man I have to disagree. I speak exactly like Ryder. Maybe it's because I'm 24 and Ryder is around my age and seems to be part of my generational cohort. I can totally see my self telling someone I'm gonna fuck their shit up.

It's not his dialogue. It's the sound of his voice.

ocean

Banned
How do you leave
H-047c?
Can't leave the nomad to board to tempest...
I was stuck there longer than I'd like to admit. Just drive into the ramp and hold triangle. It doesn't show you the triangle prompt but you'll see it "load" once you begin doing it.

Does anyone know how the mining operation perk (and all the other resource gathering perks by proxy I guess?) from AVP actually work?
Does it keep collecting resources until I pick it up or do I have to visit every 45 mins?

nOoblet16

Isn't Suvi's accent great? I love her Glasgow accent.

I was stuck there longer than I'd like to admit. Just drive into the ramp and hold triangle. It doesn't show you the triangle prompt but you'll see it "load" once you begin doing it.
What ramp? You can do it anywhere on the map. If you are talking about entering those domes then it's automatic as soon as you get inside those little doors.

Tovarisc

So uhh... how I can leave H-407c?
It's where you can't exit Nomad because of radiation and e.g. Vetra's loyalty mission is theere.

ocean

Banned
Isn't Suvi's accent great? I love her Glasgow accent.

What ramp? You can do it anywhere on the map. If you are talking about entering those domes then it's automatic as soon as you get inside those little doors.
Now I feel dumb again. Great advice, I thought my car had to be in physical proximity of the Tempest.

Noob you playing on PC or PS?

nOoblet16

Now I feel dumb again. Great advice, I thought my car had to be in physical proximity of the Tempest.

Noob you playing on PC or PS?

PC, got a GTX1080 on Sunday, 1080P Ultra 60FPS...it's a bliss !
I'm not sure if I want Destiny 2 on this or PS, but if majority of DGAF is on board with PS4 then it's a no brainer.

ocean

Banned
Ok so I get a feeling I'm getting close to the end. I wanna know whether it's time to focus on side and loyalty missions or if I can safely progress the main story a little more.

Last main thing I did was
get the Meridian map from the Archon's ship then plotted with my buddy Pathfinders to go there without Nexus support

I found all the arks and have done half the loyalty missions and have all but one planet at 100% viability. Is that next priority mission the final one? Is it Suicide Mission esque in terms of your readiness affecting the mission's outcome?

I think it does, can't remember now but I always test all buttons in games so I could have missed them not including one.
Snap, congrats. This game performs like absolute ass on PS4, you're lucky. It's the worst performing game I've ever put up with, normally I'd just quit forever after 10 minutes with this level of garbage jank. But it's ME and I'm a sucker for this universe so I've put up with it.

nOoblet16

Ok so I get a feeling I'm getting close to the end. I wanna know whether it's time to focus on side and loyalty missions or if I can safely progress the main story a little more.

Last main thing I did was
get the Meridian map from the Archon's ship then plotted with my buddy Pathfinders to go there without Nexus support

I found all the arks and have done half the loyalty missions and have all but one planet at 100% viability. Is that next priority mission the final one? Is it Suicide Mission esque in terms of your readiness affecting the mission's outcome?

You have like 1 mission left.
I did all the loyalty missions and major side missions before doing that mission you mentioned in spoiler tags.

Top Bottom