• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC system requirements

Kurumi

Well looks like I'll get it on PC instead of PS4. Should be able to run the game no problem with those recommended specs. It's too bad I can't get the deluxe edition on Amazon though since I have Prime.

Smokey

So a 2500k and 970 combo will struggle on this?

Haven't really paid attention to much of the media around this but is it that much better looking than Witcher 3 or is this just not optimized well?

Okay I was gonna say, that sounded funky

The 2500k is years old at this point. Nothing to do with optimization.

Lister

Banned
Seems like I'm between minimum and recommended for everything but RAM(8gb for me).

Is 16gb ram even going to make a difference? I always thought performance was more due to CPU & GPU.

Probably not. It might mean lowering LOD to something more manageable, but it's not like the consoles have 16 gigs of RAM.

prag16

Banned
EDIT: Furthermore, it's not so much that it's NOT on Steam, rather than the problem that it's ONLY on Origin. If I can find a non-launcher way, that'd work too :)

I mean, you can keep Origin closed (have it set NOT to start with Windows), and then set it to close automatically if a game is exited. You'll barely have to see it. Such a minor complaint that some people blow out of proportion.

jtb

Banned
16 gigs of ram? Are we finally at the point where more than 8gb matters?

Serious question, please educate me as to whether I should grab another 8gb

But just last year people were saying how 2500k will be good for years to come and Skylake is no where near good enough upgrade...

Context is important in this case. Intel's new processors can be a pretty good upgrade over the period of many generations, but for most folks it won't actually improve their performance in a way that justifies the price.

I would imagine an i5 2500K that's been well overclocked will be fine for ME:A (and even processors that predate it). It's rare that system requirements acknowledge overclocking though.

16 gigs of ram? Are we finally at the point where more than 8gb matters?

Serious question, please educate me as to whether I should grab another 8gb

Some games are starting to benefit from the extra RAM, but they've been mostly bad ports so far (Batman Arkham Knight, Just Cause 3). We won't know how ME:A eats up RAM until it's out.

prag16

Banned
But just last year people were saying how 2500k will be good for years to come and Skylake is no where near good enough upgrade...

I'm still saying it now. Come at me. I'll hopefully move to an HBM2/DDR4 build in a couple years. But I expect to have NO problems with my 2550k/970 for that span of time. I'm not too proud to turn a few settings down here or there (sounds like some people are, and think they'll get their "master race" card revoked if they do, or something...).

I would imagine an i5 2500K that's been well overclocked will be fine for ME:A (and even processors that predate it). It's rare that system requirements acknowledge overclocking though.

Even that's overstating it in my opinion. I wasn't overclocking my 2550k (3.5ghz) for Battlefront, and it ran at locked 60fps with only a couple things turned slightly down from Ultra. The level of hand wringing being seen isn't warranted imo (for 1080p gamers that are okay playing something other than across-the-board ultra that is).

Damn, those are quite a jump from DA Inquisition. My new PC is not ready yet. I was planning to get it on PC and settle with 30fps cap with my old PC, but it won' be possible these requirements. I guess I'll have to get a PS4 version for now, then GOTY edition for PC next year.

I was under the impression that modern denuvo was death to the mod ability of a game.

That was the time when the naysayers were still vocally trying to downplay denuvo. They tried basically everything including the 'denuvo will harm your SSDs' one. Not that I'm encouraging denuvo though. It's just that those accusations have no base at all most of the times.

wowzors

This is the laptop. https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=aYCwWJ6iFuPj8AeG04bgAg#q=asus+15.6+laptop+gl502VS&*

Maybe It has to do with power settings. It is always plugged in when I play and I doubt it is running on the intel chip as it runs too well for that to be the case.

Update drivers and make sure your power settings are always maximum performance and that the 1070 is the card being used. Your numbers should be above 60 easy at 1080p.

I know others who have this laptop and play tomb raider and some other games maxed out at 1080p and maintain above 60fps.

Lister

Banned
I was under the impression that modern denuvo was death to the mod ability of a game.

Some mods definietely aren't possible. Anything that modifies the executable or messes with memory locations probably won't work. There might be other limitations, but these types of games usually rely on flat files to point it to resrouces to load, and often times they are fully accessible and editable. So you can add an entry to the hair styles mesh table pointing to a new hairstyle mesh, and it will work.

It's often more complicated than that for games that aren't built with modability in mind though.

kuYuri

My i7 4790k and GTX 1080 are ready.

What's not ready is that I have a full time job and finding the time to play this. :(

prag16

Banned
Damn, those are quite a jump from DA Inquisition. My new PC is not ready yet. I was planning to get it on PC and settle with 30fps cap with my old PC, but it won' be possible these requirements. I guess I'll have to get a PS4 version for now, then GOTY edition for PC next year.

What are your specs? There's a theme here of people seemingly underestimating their rigs, maybe you're doing the same.

They were uniformed and wrong.

Did the rest of the cool kids have a uniform? Where was I? I didn't get a uniform. :(

(And no, still not wrong; right vs. wrong depends on many factors; there's no single answer for every setup.)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The requirements look reasonable, outside of the fact that there's no way this game needs 16GB RAM.

The recommended Nvidia card only has 3GB VRAM, which makes me doubt the textures are going to be super high resolution.

I'm still saying it now. Come at me. I'll hopefully move to an HBM2/DDR4 build in a couple years. But I expect to have NO problems with my 2550k/970 for that span of time. I'm not too proud to turn a few settings down here or there (sounds like some people are, and think they'll get their "master race" card revoked if they do, or something...).

Even that's overstating it in my opinion. I wasn't overclocking my 2550k (3.5ghz) for Battlefront, and it ran at locked 60fps with only a couple things turned slightly down from Ultra. The level of hand wringing being seen isn't warranted imo (for 1080p gamers that are okay playing something other than across-the-board ultra that is).

I agree with you. The concept of "fine" is very vague and difficult to pinpoint, and these system requirements don't help a lot with that.

If folks are stressing out that you can't max the game at 1080/60...consider that maxing a game isn't really that important. Dropping a few settings from Ultra to Very High looks 99% the same, but can save a shitload of performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if a PC that could run Dragon Age could also run Mass Effect: Andromeda too. But we'll just have to see when the game actually drops.

I recommend anyone worried about these specs to consider playing the Origin Access trial for the game when it comes out, or asking questions of folks who are playing it once we get closer to release. System Requirements are the vaguest ballpark you can possibly look at.

I wouldn't be surprised if a PC that could run Dragon Age could also run Mass Effect: Andromeda too. But we'll just have to see when the game actually drops.

I recommend anyone worried about these specs to consider playing the Origin Access trial for the game when it comes out, or asking questions of folks who are playing it once we get closer to release.

What are your specs? There's a theme here of people seemingly underestimating their rigs, maybe you're doing the same.

Nah, I'm sure of it. Graphic cards and such are fine. It's the CPU, I'm still rocking a Phenom 955.

Update drivers and make sure your power settings are always maximum performance and that the 1070 is the card being used. Your numbers should be above 60 easy at 1080p.

I know others who have this laptop and play tomb raider and some other games maxed out at 1080p and maintain above 60fps.

Yea I will do that when I get home, it did seem a bit odd.

Tovarisc

Context is important in this case. Intel's new processors can be a pretty good upgrade over the period of many generations, but for most folks it won't actually improve their performance in a way that justifies the price.

I know OC'd 2500K is still good CPU and most likely has year or few in it still. Mostly was poking fun at how hard sooo many were railing against Skylake in 2015 and 2016. Stating it being evidence of how lazy fucks Intel engineers are and how they should be delivering insane performance increases with every new architecture.

"I know you want to upgrade from 2500K, but don't. Skylake is garbage. Wait for next cycle"

I'm definitely waiting to hear about performance on PC and PS4 Pro before deciding.

I've got an i7-4770k and a GTX 980, but I game at 1440p. If the 980 will only get me 45 fps, it might be worth it to stick with the PS4 Pro at 4K and 30 fps. Then again, I could play more with less wife complaining if I get it on PC. It's a pickle.

GavinUK86

Sounds pretty manageable. Looks like my i7 2600k and 970 is still good enough. Gonna try the 10 hour trial to be on the safe side.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wish there was a checkboard rendering 4k option for PC's. I imagine even a 1080 TI wont be rock steady 4k/hdr/60, A checkerboard solution would be great on my TV.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I know OC'd 2500K is still good CPU and most likely has year or few in it still. Mostly was poking fun at how hard sooo many were railing against Skylake in 2015 and 2016. Stating it being evidence of how lazy fucks Intel engineers are and how they should be delivering insane performance increases with every new architecture.

"I know you want to upgrade from 2500K, but don't. Skylake is garbage. Wait for next cycle"

Skylake/Kabylak isnt garbage, I just went from a 2600k to a 6700k (primarily because I got it for $250), the difference has been extremely noticable. And i had my 2600k running at 4.6.

But I do agree to at least wait for Ryzen next week.

This is the laptop. https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=aYCwWJ6iFuPj8AeG04bgAg#q=asus+15.6+laptop+gl502VS&*

Maybe It has to do with power settings. It is always plugged in when I play and I doubt it is running on the intel chip as it runs too well for that to be the case.

Then there something not right. Did you check the graphics settings? Maybe you are running supersampling by accident. Or also try to install hardware monitor device and look at the utilization of the processors and the clock speeds. It could be some sort of thermal throttling or even driver issues. Your laptop should be murdering BF1 even at 1440p. My laptop with GTX 1060 is getting 85 FPS on ultra at 1080p.

Tovarisc

Skylake/Kabylak isnt garbage, I just went from a 2600k to a 6700k (primarily because I got it for $250), the difference has been extremely noticable. And i had my 2600k running at 4.6.

But I do agree to at least wait for Ryzen next week.

I'm personally sitting on i5 6600K @ 4.2, 16GB and 980Ti.

Build my rig when anti-Skylake trains were going on in multiple tech forums so got to first row seat on that thing. So much hate and bashing because Skylake didn't do +300% performance increase over last gen, or something similarly stupid.

Mivey

I believe this will the first BioWare game on PC, since Jade Empire that will support both KBM and gamepad without requiring you to restart the game to switch from one to the other. Am I right?

I wonder if a 1080 will be able to do 4K/50-60FPS
I have a 1080 and this is unlikely though having high or medium on everything may work. Or there may be a res scaler like in DA: I where dropping it to 75% gives a better image than 1440p but not as demanding as 4K.
That said 4K@60fps is unlikely. I'll try for 50fps myself but I won't be surprised if I don't achieve it.

Smokey

(And no, still not wrong; right vs. wrong depends on many factors; there's no single answer for every setup.)

It's a fact that the 2500k vs Skylake and beyond is outdated in gaming. Especially the 2500k where it doesn't have the benefit of hyper threading like the 2600k.

Now that doesn't mean your games won't run, however held back they may be, but it also doesn't mean it's omission from spec requirements means a game is "not optimized".

Pagusas

Elden Member
How exactly do you get this? Do you just have to have Amazon Prime and then pre-order the game?

Yes, has to be the physical copy (Which for the pc is just a box with a code in it, you get it release day). The price wont change until you go to checkout.

But also, remeber GMG will have the game 25 - 30% a day before relase (they've done it with every major release).

Top Bottom