• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda "Tempest & Nomad" briefing shows ship interior and Nomad stuff

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Still think the Tempest is abysmally ugly. From an art background its just so lazy and uninspired, wouldnt everyone had rather have a new ship with its own identity and influences...rather than just a worse looking Normandy? The interior seems the same as the exterior, a superficial and desperate attempt at recapturing the charm of the first Mass Effects fantastic design. Its like they lack the confidence to show us something we've never seen before, so theyve doubled down on delivering the same old shit repackaged and diluted.

The design philosophy extends to everything we've seen from the game too, its so unoriginal it hurts, why are they afraid to show us something new for once?

I think if the Tempest lost the front fins and got a different paint job it would look outstanding. But those two features really really detract from it for me. Otherwise besides a long design and similar jets in the back the ship is very different from the Normandy. It's long and flat where as the Normandy was long and very round and curved. Tempest's wings come out from the top while the Normandy's fuselage sat on top of its wings.

Why would the weapons need to be massive?

Peacekeeping. first contact missions might be one reason why.

Second, again by your own position, if all your enemies have shields and defenses that make your tiny weapons obsolete what's the point? If they are weak enough to be destroyed by whatever weaponry we have, they can probably be outrun/avoided. Thus it's optimized for absolute speed/agility.

There's plenty of reason's why it might start that way.

That being said I fully imagine we will see some kind of upgrade path that may include weapons.

Is a sequel supposed to reinvent the brand's visual identity?

A sequel thats core conceit is that it's literally abandoning the previous galaxy to start anew...I would expect a lot of new things rather than shameless retreads of old. Same problem I had with The Force Awakens really, rather than seek a new identity of their own, they minorly tweak existing designs to appease the fans. Everyone likes X-wings right? Lets add some blue instead of red, Tie Fighters anyone? Lets make the colors inverted, our job is done.

With the tempest they flattened the sleek Concorde curve silhouette of the Normandy, slapped on some shark fins and streamlined the engine mounts and called it a day. The Normandy sr1/2 are legitimately excellent designs, it avoided the sci-fi trope of having a pretty generic ship design and created something truly unique.
Mass%20Effect%203%20C.jpg

That thing is super sleek, dynamic and sexy.

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-620x296.png

This thing is pretty flat, boring and redundant.

Not the best pic, but GIS isn't really offering many other choices.

Like I said it extends to more than just the Tempest, the Arks/Nexus look deceptively similar to the Citadel, despite in game lore explaining that the engineering behind the citadel being centuries ahead of any of the present races living on the citadel themselves. But now the races apparently (in secret somehow? despite it being probably the most expensive/ambitious project in all of this universes history) constructed a series of space stations that surpass the Citadel seeing as how they are capable of intergalactic travel.

All I'm saying is, the core of this new game is supposedly all about the galactic frontier, encountering new worlds, new races, yet everything they've shown looks like it's just desperate to recapture the past, rather than carving out a new identity. Why even bother to leave the galaxy behind if you're just gonna show us the same shit?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
A sequel thats core conceit is that it's literally abandoning the previous galaxy to start anew...I would expect a lot of new things rather than shameless retreads of old. Same problem I had with The Force Awakens really, rather than seek a new identity of their own, they minorly tweak existing designs to appease the fans. Everyone likes X-wings right? Lets add some blue instead of red, Tie Fighters anyone? Lets make the colors inverted, our job is done.

With the tempest they flattened the sleek Concorde curve silhouette of the Normandy, slapped on some shark fins and streamlined the engine mounts and called it a day. The Normandy sr1/2 are legitimately excellent designs, it avoided the sci-fi trope of having a pretty generic ship design and created something truly unique.
Mass%20Effect%203%20C.jpg

That thing is super sleek, dynamic and sexy.

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-620x296.png

This thing is pretty flat, boring and redundant.

Like I said it extends to more than just the Tempest, the Arks/Nexus look deceptively similar to the Citadel, despite in game lore explaining that the engineering behind the citadel being centuries ahead of any of the present races living on the citadel themselves. But now the races apparently (in secret somehow? despite it being probably the most expensive/ambitious project in all of this universes history) constructed a series of space stations that surpass the Citadel seeing as how they are capable of intergalactic travel.

All I'm saying is, the core of this new game is supposedly all about the galactic frontier, encountering new worlds, new races, yet everything they've shown looks like it's just desperate to recapture the past, rather than carving out a new identity. Why even bother to leave the galaxy behind if you're just gonna show us the same shit?

Agree to all this. Normandy is the GOAT ship.

Lime

Exact thing that I've been asking myself the more we see from this game with all the carbon-copy stuff from the original ME trilogy

Lt-47

Why should the thing the milk way races bring with them not be familiar ? That's would be against the point. The Nexus should remind us of "home", and the new alien places hopefully not so much.

Beside it obvious they move to a new galaxy to avoid ME3 endings and nothing else. They bough as much stuff from the trilogy as they could because we probably won't see anything from that place ever again.

royox

You have some good points but you still have to think this is supposed to happen during ME2, I find it obvious that they would re-use the Citadel pattern because that's what people of that universe know. I would be mad if they suddently changed the technology for something impossible for their technological level.

Also what you said about "surpassing the citadel", wow that's impossible. The citadel has its own infinite resources and has self maintenance via reaper tech and the keepers. It also can travel throught Mass Relays and pretty sure it can travel at FTL speed. Also it was MASSIVE in comparison. The citadel is one big as f*ck structure and the Nexus is just a bunch of arks placed in order to remind the feeling of the citadel. It's not even the first scifi media that did that kind of structures.

Minty_Freshness

Neo Member
Where does abandonment arrive in the core conceit? If anything an Ark is created to preserve.

This is my feeling on the matter as well. Hell, there's even a cultural center on the Nexus with information about the history and races of the Milky Way, just in case they meet new species curious about where we're from. I'd say that shows the explorers who traveled all that way want to be reminded of home.

Now, I can't say I disagree entirely with the opinion that they're playing it relatively safe design-wise, but I think they're stuck between a rock and hard place when it comes to keeping the brand's identity intact. ME3's ending will haunt them on that front for this game at least. Assuming it's successful they can get weirder if they do a sequel in this new galaxy.

DevilDog

This is my feeling on the matter as well. Hell, there's even a cultural center on the Nexus with information about the history and races of the Milky Way, just in case they meet new species curious about where we're from. I'd say that shows the explorers who traveled all that way want to be reminded of home.

Now, I can't say I disagree entirely with the opinion that they're playing it relatively safe design-wise, but I think they're stuck between a rock and hard place when it comes to keeping the brand's identity intact. ME3's ending will haunt them on that front for this game at least. Assuming it's successful they can get weirder if they do a sequel in this new galaxy.
So far from what I've seen, barely anything reminds me off classic mass effect.

Everything looks new, weird, uninspired and slightly evoke the OT.

Sou Da

Yeah I can't really agree with the "it's not new enough" complaints when all the criticism of the tech design is aimed at things specifically crafted to be from the past.

Does this criticism extend to species like the Remnant?

DevilDog

Yeah I can't really agree with the "it's not new enough" complaints when all the criticism of the tech design is aimed at things specifically crafted to be from the past.

Does this criticism extend to species like the Remnant?

Certain objects inside should be the same for logical reasons. But come on we've barely seen anything new or exciting so far.
In pre-ME1 we saw the Citadel, we saw Virmire, we saw the uncharted worlds and they all were a sight to behold.
But compare that to what we've seen now... it's either recycled or boring stuff.

Sou Da

Certain objects inside should be the same for logical reasons. But come on we've barely seen anything new or exciting so far.
In pre-ME1 we saw the Citadel, we saw Virmire, we saw the uncharted worlds and they all were a sight to behold.
But compare that to what we've seen now... it's either recycled or boring stuff.

I dunno, I've liked all of the worlds I've seen a lot more than ME1s. We'll see.

RedSwirl

Still need to see more in-game footage. I want some kind of uncut reel from ship to planet surface to nomad exploration to on-foot exploration.

I don't understand this hate for the Tempest's design, it makes sense within ME's fictional universe. Like what the fuck do you expect a radically different design never seen before by the Council races built in such a short time frame? It appears that the Tempest takes more cues from Salarian designed ships, perhaps that's why it has a Salarian pilot, due to its sleek and stealthy nature. Although, we've never seen their ships in a game we get good descriptions of them and a picture of one in one of the ME comics:

You're complaining that their fictional world is consistent, that' just nonsense. Of course, the ships embarking on this journey are going to look similar to previous ships, especially when they were built before ME3. Your complaints would be legitimate if when we finally get to Andromeda all the new alien ships looks surprisingly similar to Milky Way ships but we have seen virtually nothing about the Andromeda races and their ships. Calm down.

EDIT:

I will say the only thing I didn't "like" about the Tempest's design is how industrial the interiors looks. I would expect a more Star Trek, carpets on the floor, look for a purely civilian scouting vessel. It just doesn't feel as comfy as I think it should for a set of explorers. That said, I guess that can be explained by the fact that the Tempest is a scout ship not groups home, which would be the Ark. If the Ark looks super industrial then we might have a problem.

chaislip3

Still need to see more in-game footage. I want some kind of uncut reel from ship to planet surface to nomad exploration to on-foot exploration.

It's coming.

Aaryn confirms in the NVidia interview video that a full gameplay video is coming at some point.

"They want to see more gameplay. They want to see a full gameplay loop, so we're going to get that ready for a later show. That entire sequence I think, a rich, meaty 15 minute experience of starting in the Tempest, talking to some squadmates, landing on a planet, getting out, exploring in the Nomad, getting out, doing some fighting, maybe solving a mystery, getting down to a vault maybe, or going somewhere else. There's a lot to see and explore in the game, and I think players want to see that. And I respect that, and we're going to get that to them."

It's still set in the same universe though. It's not like the people of the Andromeda Initiative would just decide to build their ships with a different style guide.

Maybe it's just a personal thing, but BioWare has never made a truly great Mass Effect game. Every single one had its problems. The first lacks a lot of the personal touches and mechanical improvements if its sequels, the second lacks the tightly constructed lore and the exploration of the first, and the third lacks a lot of things. I honestly couldn't blame BioWare if they wanted to soft reboot the franchise with Andromeda and try to make a definitive Mass Effect experience with all the better elements of the previous entries.
I don't see how riffing on a "truly unique" design suddenly makes the Tempest ugly. It's clearly intended to be a visual allusion. It's like complaining that the Enterprise looks similar between TOS and TNG. Andromeda clearly wants to maintain some tonal and aesthetic continuity from its predecessors. I don't see why that's so offensive.

I also don't see where you're getting flat, boring, and redundant from the Tempest while simultaneously heaping praise on the Normandy. It just seems like you're projecting your distaste of the uninspired marketing campaign onto everything else.
Like I said it extends to more than just the Tempest, the Arks/Nexus look deceptively similar to the Citadel, despite in game lore explaining that the engineering behind the citadel being centuries ahead of any of the present races living on the citadel themselves.But now the races apparently (in secret somehow? despite it being probably the most expensive/ambitious project in all of this universes history) constructed a series of space stations that surpass the Citadel seeing as how they are capable of intergalactic travel.
I never understand why people do this. We don't have the game. We don't know what the lore is. By all means be skeptical, but there's no need to fabricate lore just to dislike the game. BioWare aren't that dumb. They'll have answers to these questions. Whether or not you like those answers is up to you, but they'll have them. Or maybe they won't and you can hate them then. Either way, there's no sense in getting worked up about it now.

And in any case, BioWare needed to make some excuses to get them to Andromeda and a new galaxy was really the only option. The other options are prequels, spin-offs, or canonizing endings. BioWare was never keen on any of those.
All I'm saying is, the core of this new game is supposedly all about the galactic frontier, encountering new worlds, new races, yet everything they've shown looks like it's just desperate to recapture the past, rather than carving out a new identity.
This is marketing. It's been terrible so far, but true to form. Average fans want more Mass Effect, so that's what they're getting from the trailers. We haven't heard much about the new stuff, but it is there. We've seen more than enough snippets and allusions to know that. Whether it'll be different enough is still up in the air.

Regardless, I don't see why Andromeda absolutely needs to be completely and absolutely new in every way. Why can't it look like good ol' Mass Effect? It's not like we're rolling in space opera games, so Mass Effect is pretty unique just by itself.
Why even bother to leave the galaxy behind if you're just gonna show us the same shit?
Uhh... Because of ME3's ending? That should be obvious. The only way BioWare could possibly continue the Mass Effect franchise–and there's no way anyone would just toss away that brand–is to churn out one-off prequels and spin-offs or go elsewhere. I would've wanted a new sci-fi IP myself, but what BioWare have done with Andromeda is really the only option.

Remember Helmet unlockables on ME2? that was a pain to get all of them
Yeah, I remember three helmets being locked behind a promotion for Dr. Pepper, where a code would be under the cap. Fortunately, someone decided that all the codes would be reusable, so if people didn't want to buy the disgusting swill known as Dr Pepper, they could just look up the codes online.

Sou Da

You liked that town more than the Citadel and Virmire?

I've played through Citadel and Virmire, I've seen a glimpse of a market and the interior of a room. What are you asking me to speak on here?

Also this was about the Uncharted Worlds.

Similar to the previous briefings, I'm liking that there is enough stylistic/asset similarities to make Andromeda feel familiar, whilst still doing its own thing.

rayjonnavi

Neo Member
I have a feeling if Bioware redesigned everything people would have been like "this looks nothing like Mass Effect"!!

Oh wait that already happened

Kayhan

I have a feeling if Bioware redesigned everything people would have been like "this looks nothing like Mass Effect"!!

I love the visual design of the first Mass Effect game.

Some of it was lost with the more grimdarkness of the sequels but it was certainly still recognizable as Mass Effect.

DevilDog

Honestly, it can change as much as it wants visually.

I think it has lost its identity since save imports and squadmate deaths are gone.

Honestly, it can change as much as it wants visually.

I think it has lost its identity since save imports and squadmate deaths are gone.

Were there save imports, deaths, etc in ME1 its the first game of a new story.

That stuff cant continue until the second game, I wouldn't be to upset to see it gone it lost all appeal in ME3 when the decisions didn't mean much.

I think the ship looking similar to past ships isn't a big issue. As people have said, that's some in-game universe consistency.

My bigger problem is that as ffejeromdiks said, very little of the rest of what they've shown has captured my imagination. I want this game to bring to life the wonderment of exploring a new galaxy. So far there really is entirely too much of "well this is more of the same" feeling for me.

Isurus

Somewhat off topic question: do any of the platforms have a deal with EA for any exclusive content, etc. for this game? Just trying to figure out what platform to purchase the game on.

DevilDog

I want this game to bring to life the wonderment of exploring a new galaxy. So far there really is entirely too much of "well this is more of the same" feeling for me.
You should try seeing the second video, hearing about the plan of the migration is exciting.

I don't get it

How is this exciting

And this boring
The first 3 images make me die of boredom. Normal rough terrain with random objects scattered around, and huge circles of course so it can look futuristic.
4th looks like a cute little outpost, nothing wrong with it
The 5th one looks like it came straight out of Avatar and the last 2 are sci fi shots I've seen a fucking billion times, and so has everyone.

Look how sci-fi this looks while being so damn simple.
And how well the location stands on its own:

It feels alien, even though it isn't.

All of it looks so much fun, one cannot blame shepard for having his holidays here

Were there save imports, deaths, etc in ME1 its the first game of a new story.

That stuff cant continue until the second game, I wouldn't be to upset to see it gone it lost all appeal in ME3 when the decisions didn't mean much.
Knowing that your choices are being considered in the 2nd and 3rd game made everything feel a lot cooler.
Yes there were deaths in ME1. I don't understand why anyone would want to see that feature gone. Just the feeling that someone could be here with your team, and isn't, is fantastic on its own.

And choices mattered in ME2? What in the world? They were barely aknowledged and thrown away as trash most of the time. Council retcon ugh.
In ME3 at least some of them made for pretty interesting paths in the story, especially in Sur'kesh/Tuchanka and the Geth/Quarians situation. I would love to see more of that. Games are the only medium that can use this so well, and it sets it apart from other art forms as well.

You should try seeing the second video, hearing about the plan of the migration is exciting.

The first 3 images make me die of boredom. Normal rough terrain with random objects scattered around, and huge circles of course so it can look futuristic.
4th looks like a cute little outpost, nothing wrong with it
The 5th one looks like it came straight out of Avatar and the last 2 are sci fi shots I've seen a fucking billion times, and so has everyone.

Look how sci-fi this looks while being so damn simple.

And how well the location stands on its own:

It feels alien, even though it isn't.

All of it looks so much fun, one cannot blame shepard for having his holidays here

It's a grey building and a collection of rocks. You've seen an asteroid field and a black hole "a billion times" in video games, but a large grey building and some exotic beaches are supposed to be impressive? I almost can't believe that you're not trolling, because when comparing both cases, the ME:A screenshots are almost factually more interesting. And your dismissal of the first three images: You're leaving out the fact that more than likely everything up to the horizon is traversable terrain.

Honestly, the ships way to fancy for a ship that was supposed t find another home in this galaxy. I mean the pathfinder's room is a 7 star hotel room.

I completely dislike that they're using the same med kit and gas-tank-explosive-thing design from the previous games, as seen in pictures #3 and 4. I want everything to look new even if it makes less logical sense.

BL6klRC.jpg

5ej38nI.jpg

This makes absolutely no sense... why not just ask for a game that isn't Mass Effect?

DevilDog

It's a grey building and a collection of rocks. You've seen an asteroid field and a black hole "a billion times" in video games, but a large grey building and some exotic beaches are supposed to be impressive? I almost can't believe that you're not trolling, because when comparing both cases, the ME:A screenshots are almost factually more interesting. And your dismissal of the first three images: You're leaving out the fact that more than likely everything up to the horizon is traversable terrain.

I feel like every single one of your posts lately is just a personal attack at this point. You disagree with me? Fine. In the end, it's just art, and it's my opinion.

I still think that these MEA screenshots are uninspired and generic, and other people here agree.

Lastly, everything being traversable is a cool mechanic, it also has nothing to do with the art being how it is.

Honestly, the ships way to fancy for a ship that was supposed t find another home in this galaxy. I mean the pathfinder's room is a 7 star hotel room.

I think it really depends on what kind of role that room will play in the narrative. I personally don't really find any issue with it, because I know that it's largely the way that it is because of how cool it looks to the player. But if I'm to nitpick, I could see it making narrative sense if the tempest is basically the pathfinder's primary home for the foreseeable future. It might make less sense if we also get an appartement or whatever on the nexus, just like the thing we had in DA:I, which is likely seeing as how the nexus seems to be filling the base-building role. Still speculative though.

I feel like every single one of your posts lately is just a personal attack at this point. You disagree with me? Fine. In the end, it's just art, and it's my opinion.

I still think that these MEA screenshots are uninspired and generic, and other people here agree.

Lastly, everything being traversable is a cool mechanic, it also has nothing to do with the art being how it is.

I have spoken with you a total of 2 times. 3 times if you count now. I don't see how I'm personally attacking you in any way whatsoever in any of them. I'm attacking your arguments, which I find to be void of any substance. I'm terribly sorry if you think I'm taking it too seriously or whatever it is you find issue with, but you should expect some scrutiny if you're putting them out there.

Other people agree with my side of the argument as well, so I don't see how that's supposed to be a mark in your favor.

The fact that it's traversable isn't only a mechanic. It means that it isn't only "rough terrain with object scattered around" as you seem to imply. There are far more interesting rock formations in the first screenshot, for example, than in yours.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Why? The Normandy had one and it only used it in cutscenes. The only thing "no main gun" means is that we're pretty defenseless for story reasons.

I'm guessing the Tempest will also be known as the "coward spaceship", since all we'll do is run away as soon as trouble shows up. :p

Because we would be unable to defend ourselves in a dangerous foreign land...seems odd to me: it did say main gun though....maybe it has baby guns under the hull or something :/

Top Bottom