• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda "Tempest & Nomad" briefing shows ship interior and Nomad stuff

Knowing that your choices are being considered in the 2nd and 3rd game made everything feel a lot cooler.
Yes there were deaths in ME1. I don't understand why anyone would want to see that feature gone. Just the feeling that someone could be here with your team, and isn't, is fantastic on its own.

And choices mattered in ME2? What in the world? They were barely aknowledged and thrown away as trash most of the time. Council retcon ugh.
In ME3 at least some of them made for pretty interesting paths in the story, especially in Sur'kesh/Tuchanka and the Geth/Quarians situation. I would love to see more of that. Games are the only medium that can use this so well, and it sets it apart from other art forms as well.

The choice in ME1 to save or destroy that queen alien race and squad mates dying were cool features.

The choices often also came down to paragon, renegade points for the mutual option like with the Quarians/Geth, I was making the choices I wanted and because of that I was locked out of the mutual option.

The choice loses weight when there is one choice that is best and requires you to be a certain character removing a degree of choice.

I would prefer a good narrative over the illusion of choice especially when there's often a 3rd mutual option that is always more desirable locked behind either extremes of good or bad

It bugs me that they describe it as being state of the art...

In the games fiction this tech is all at least 600 years old... even if it's built new, it's coming off plans that are 600 years old.

Bsigg12

In the games fiction this tech is all at least 600 years old... even if it's built new, it's coming off plans that are 600 years old.

Wouldn't technically the recruitment videos happen before their journey therefore it is state of the art?

I would think the videos would start around year 7 or 8 of the 9 year project when they were selecting the people who wanted to go.

This is a stupid question, but do all voice actors who voice salarians have their voices altered for effect, or do they pitch their voices higher on their own?

valkyre

Why not use game's engine for these introductory videos?

The engine is impressive enough to use for such things ... :/

I wish one the industry is completely done with CGI horseshit...

Staf

Looks good. Tough have no idea how i will get time to play this with the release of Torment, Horizon and Nier weeks before it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ideally I would have liked Andromeda to go in a totally different aesthetic and thematic direction, like playing as a Firefly style band of antiheroes, where even stuff like the ships and whatnot would require a new perspective.

That being said I still really like this. I'm gonna guess they're wanting the non-Normandy to be very familiar as kind of like a rock to the Milky Way origins. Same goes for the Nexus and the Arks. They're the aesthetically comfortable artefacts you can call home while in a new, alien galaxy.

I also really like the changes made compared to the Normandy in its silhouette profile. The Normandy had a large upper curvature, while this is flatter at the top and more bottom heavy. It's more reminiscent of an actual water based ship, which to me harkens back to the earliest days of mankind's exploration.

Why not use game's engine for these introductory videos?

The engine is impressive enough to use for such things ... :/

I wish one the industry is completely done with CGI horseshit...

I'm fairly certain most if not all of this footage is in-engine.

Kater

Banned
I read about a pyjak being a bonus if you preorder but I don't care too much about them. I am more of a Varren person.

Kater

Banned
AdventurousScaredBantamrooster.gif

Damn pyjaks

Like how they kept the overall designs/aesthetics the same. I feel like bioware has progressively ruined the series but there isn't anything else with the mass effect feeling out there. So this is one of my guilty pleasures.

1. Time is relative. 600 year old tech is meaningless when they are traveling to a new galaxy that did not develop along the same paths technologically as the Milky Way.
2. He's speaking at the present before they launch for Andromeda which is when it would be "state of the art."

DevilDog

I don't see how I'm personally attacking you in any way whatsoever in any of them.
Well lets just end it here on good terms then. These conversations are a waste of time anyways.

The choice in ME1 to save or destroy that queen alien race and squad mates dying were cool features.

The choices often also came down to paragon, renegade points for the mutual option like with the Quarians/Geth, I was making the choices I wanted and because of that I was locked out of the mutual option.

The choice loses weight when there is one choice that is best and requires you to be a certain character removing a degree of choice.

I would prefer a good narrative over the illusion of choice especially when there's often a 3rd mutual option that is always more desirable locked behind either extremes of good or bad
In ME1 this wasn't always the case however.

The Ashley/Kaidan choice was binary, there wasn't a best case scenario.

The same goes for the Rachni Queen, you didn't know how it was going to play out, even if it was dissapointing in ME3 due to time/money constraints.

And the same goes for the Save/Don't Save the council.

All of these options, weren't down to Paragon or Renegade. They didn't alternate between extremes of good or bad and they felt really good in the story.
I don't see why this should be abandoned.

Honestly, playing the games and feeling the absense of a squadmate works really well. Bioware made good characters you felt bad for leaving behind.

This system of save imports and everything, is one of the most special and rare things in storytelling. It would be a crime imo to let it go.

Kater

Banned
Those choices felt pretty good in the first game, and I like how they all play out later, even the small things like letting a scientist go only to read years later
that they were brainwashed and killed a bunch of high military leaders
. Or how the interactions with a certain fan play out over the course of three games, that was fun too.

I hope the writers at Bioware keep on surprising me in a good way like that and don't just throw my choices out the window. I really appreciate seeing my characters influencing the galaxy in small and big ways over the course of a series, that was a really unique thing about the original trilogy and they should keep on doing that.

Anoxida

What would be the point of redesigning existing object exactly ? It would only make the game feel less like a continuity of the trilogy in my opinion.

They said multiple time that it smaller than the SR-2 (which was twice the size of the SR-1). It still feel much bigger than I expected, there may be less rooms but some of them look quite big

Uhh.. not sure how I feel about that. True though that the SR-2 had some barren areas so maybe they use the area better now.

Makes me wonder if the tempest was designed to be smaller to fit the story reason (small fast stealthy) or if that's something they tacked on after they decided how big it was going to be.

Lt-47

Uhh.. not sure how I feel about that. True though that the SR-2 had some barren areas so maybe they use the area better now.

Makes me wonder if the tempest was designed to be smaller to fit the story reason (small fast stealthy) or if that's something they tacked on after they decided how big it was going to be.

Probably a mix both. It make sense for a Scout ship to be small and fast. But you also spent a lot of your time on your ship running from the bridge to wherever you need to go. A more compact design reduce the time you spent running through the same corridor/room. It can also allow dev to increase the density of thing in the ship and/or reduce loading time

It's hard to tell how much of an impact it will have on the feel of the ship with those short disconnected snippet of each room

Top Bottom