• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect not officially announced for PC

Scrow said:
hmmm... that's seriously put my xbox 360 purchase in question now. mass effect was one of the top reasons i was considering picking one up.

bioshock is coming to PC too isn't it?

well at least there's still Gears of War, Lost Planet, and Halo 3. don't know if those are enough to pickup an x360 for though.

I believe Gears of War is supposed to eventually hit PC as well.

Seems likely it'll hit PCs as a Vista-only release after the console edition is out there for a while. Good move and one that's already got some precedent.

Mifune

Mehmber
RumpledForeskin said:
Also I don't see how you can annouce Mass Effect is announced for the PC with a rumor Core407.

Yeah, it's a misleading thread title. There should at least be a question mark there.

Defcon

Banned
Fantastic. Now I don't need to buy a 360. Bioshock and Mass Effect are the only games on the system I'm interested in.

Striek

*yawn*

I refuse to believe anyone would actually come into it thinking that Mass Effect wouldn't be on PC. I can't see how it changes the fact you'll be able to play it on X360 - the platform it was designed for - earlier.

Btw, anyone who clings to the fact that its just a rumour atm really shouldn't. MS has a commitment to the PC and so does Bioware. It happened for KOTOR and Jade Empire and it'll happen here. More people to enjoy great games is always a positive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Striek said:
*yawn*

I refuse to believe anyone would actually come into it thinking that Mass Effect wouldn't be on PC. I can't see how it changes the fact you'll be able to play it on X360 - the platform it was designed for - earlier.

Me too. Who wouldn't buy a 360 over this one game going to the PC? Come on guys. One game?

NinSoX

Banned
haha the lot of you saying there's no reason to buy a 360 anymore...as if you were planning to buy one in the first place.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Topfuel said:
Hmm.. seems many who say they don`t need a 360 now...

Do you have pc rigs that will do the game justice?

Doubtful, you will buy Vista to play this game, if it ever comes out.

Topfuel said:
Hmm.. seems many who say they don`t need a 360 now...

Do you have pc rigs that will do the game justice?

Eh, most mid range PCs (and by that, I mean a 3 GHZ or so, with a gig of ram and a $125 or so video card, like a 6600 and up) could run Oblivion better than the 360 - I dunno why Mass Effect would be any more taxing (probably better, considering Bethesda isn't known for their great programming. Though neither is Bioware...)

The reason, why this is stupid is becuase..

say customer A wants mass effect and only that game.. he would have to then buy a 360 for it and since he now has the system. he'll buy more games which would then expand the platform.

but now that it's going to pc, that guy doesn't need to buy a 360. he'll just buy the pc version.

With ps2 or ps3 if there exclusives you need to buy the system.
they won't come to pc. which in turn creates more ps2 or ps3 sales.

mckmas8808

DreamMachine said:
The reason, why this is stupid is becuase..

say customer A wants mass effect and only that game.. he would have to then buy a 360 for it and since he now has the system. he'll buy more games which would then expand the platform.

but now that it's going to pc, that guy doesn't need to buy a 360. he'll just buy the pc version.

With ps2 or ps3 if there exclusives you need to buy the system.
they won't come to pc. which in turn creates more ps2 or ps3 sales.

True but you do have to respect MS a little because they do have some interest in seeing games on windows actually surviving.

mckmas8808 said:
True but you do have to respect MS a little because they do have some interest in seeing games on windows actually surviving.

absolutely.. but if they want to compete in the console arena with sony, they can't really keep doing this to there A+ exclusives.

I like this news...

Hopefully the next move for Microsoft is to get out of the console business altogether.

Then we won't have the XBOX platform taking time/money/talent away from PC development.

Striek

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
It is just a rumor atm.
It doesn't really matter though since its going to happen. We have precedent and motive (KOTOR, JE). I don't think anyone could honestly think it isn't coming to PC. Not that it really matters to most, as I said above.

Its as much a 'no shit' moment as saying Halo 3 will eventually come to PC.

Guess what, MS is serious about reviving the PC platform. You'll see every first-party title of theirs that they think has an audience on PC being ported over.

Oblivion moved like free beer on the 360, and that's with a simultaneous PC release. PC gamers generally want to game on PC, and console gamers generally want to game on consoles.

Speevy

Banned
but now that it's going to pc, that guy doesn't need to buy a 360.

That's not going to happen though. There isn't a large group of people that upgrades their PCs instead of buying consoles. There isn't even a large group of people that buys PC games, except for a selection of really popular ones that wouldn't work on consoles.

There's just no such dynamic in the gaming industry. It doesn't happen. And more and more, you're going to notice that if PC developers want to make money and their games can be done on consoles, they will.

If MS brings Mass Effect to the PC, PC gamers will get a great game that's already sold a large amount on the 360.

I can't think of another way to say that the PC isn't a viable market replacement for any next generation consoles.

Pimpbaa

trancejeremy said:
Eh, most mid range PCs (and by that, I mean a 3 GHZ or so, with a gig of ram and a $125 or so video card, like a 6600 and up) could run Oblivion better than the 360 -

6600? That's a bit of a stretch. A 7600GT can run oblivion with comparable detail settings as the 360 at the same framerate, but that's at 1024x768 with no anti-aliasing.

Pimpbaa said:
6600? That's a bit of a stretch. A 7600GT can run oblivion with comparable detail settings as the 360 at the same framerate, but that's at 1024x768 with no anti-aliasing.

Yeah, that's my setup almost exactly (I have more RAM) and I can't run it anywhere near what it looked like on 360.

bill0527

trancejeremy said:
Eh, most mid range PCs (and by that, I mean a 3 GHZ or so, with a gig of ram and a $125 or so video card, like a 6600 and up) could run Oblivion better than the 360 - I dunno why Mass Effect would be any more taxing (probably better, considering Bethesda isn't known for their great programming. Though neither is Bioware...)

Add $160 to the cost of the game for your upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.

Surely you people don't think you'll be able to run this on Windows XP. Its the perfect opportunity to make you buy their new OS by making the game Vista-only. In fact, I'd expect most of their big games coming to PC to be Vista-only.

bee

bill0527 said:
Add $160 to the cost of the game for your upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.

Surely you people don't think you'll be able to run this on Windows XP. Its the perfect opportunity to make you buy their new OS by making the game Vista-only. In fact, I'd expect most of their big games coming to PC to be Vista-only.

you mean like the vista showcase game crysis? which will run perfectly fine on windows xp

firex

Not very interesting news for me, to be honest. I doubt I'll get the PC version whenever I do eventually upgrade my system, just because at that point I'll probably have a 360 already. It's a game I'm looking forward to... but I see no reason to wait years just to play the Vista port unless it comes out vastly superior to the 360 version. And even then, I'd probably just buy the PC version later on and use it as an excuse to replay the game doing something different.

mckmas8808

DreamMachine said:
absolutely.. but if they want to compete in the console arena with sony, they can't really keep doing this to there A+ exclusives.

I understand but to MS money is money. I agree there has to be some 360 only games and I'm sure there will be some.

Pimpbaa

m0dus said:
More like the MS-published first-party title Halo 2, which will only run in vista, actually.

Which is probably why Mass Effect is coming out so soon for PC. MS seems to want to invigorate PC gaming with vista and games for it

Draft

i will say this- I bet half the heads in this thread saying, "SWEET now I don't have to get an X360" don't play games on their PC and probably don't even have PCs capable of gaming. They just like the notion that it's not exclusive to X360 :lol

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
I understand but to MS money is money. I agree there has to be some 360 only games and I'm sure there will be some.

There's only one kind of exclusivity loss that could adversely affect MS, and it's another console (the PS3). Even then, the Xbox platforms have performed extremely well with multiplatform game sales.

What you're seeing in this thread here is a very small group that would forego a console purchase for a PC release. However, I can pretty confidently say that 140 million consoles were sold last generation to people who couldn't care less.

Here's an example.

With the proper upgrade, you could have a PC that potentially runs The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion better than the Xbox 360 version. You could also have mods that weren't available in the 360 version. In addition, the entire Elder Scrolls community was created on the PC. The Xbox 360, at that point, had sold under 5 million units worldwide. So what happened? That's right, the 360 version killed its PC counterpart in sales, outselling even the previous edition (which was released first for the PC). And that's what will happen to every game released for these platforms.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Draft said:
i will say this- I bet half the heads in this thread saying, "SWEET now I don't have to get an X360" don't play games on their PC and probably don't even have PCs capable of gaming. They just like the notion that it's not exclusive to X360 :lol

Eh, well count me in the other half...

Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked from 1.8ghz to 2.6ghz

eVGA 7900GT OC overclocked from 450core/1320memory to 534core/1568memory

Western Digital 74gb Raptor (10,000 rpm) sata hdd
Western Digital 200gb 7200rpm sata hdd

Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card

1gb Corsair DDR400 RAM

Lite-On DVDRW

Coolermaster case
Antec Truepower 2.0 430w psu
Thermalright XP-120 heatsink (with Antec fan)

Asus A8N5X motherboard

Viewsonic VX2025wm 20.1" widescreen 1680x1050 monitor

Logitech x530 5.1 surround sound speakers
Plantronics .Audio 550 USB headset

Microsoft internet keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse optical

Zifnab

bill0527 said:

I can see it now:

"Mass Effect requires Vista"

Fine print:
Unless you can run setup /a to play in Windows XP :lol :lol :lol

Zifnab

Speevy said:
That's right, the 360 version killed its PC counterpart in sales, outselling even the previous edition (which was released first for the PC). And that's what will happen to every game released for these platforms.

Sources? For worldwide sales?

ORANGUTAN

Banned
EviLore said:
Eh, well count me in the other half...

Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked from 1.8ghz to 2.6ghz

eVGA 7900GT OC overclocked from 450core/1320memory to 534core/1568memory

Western Digital 74gb Raptor (10,000 rpm) sata hdd
Western Digital 200gb 7200rpm sata hdd

Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card

1gb Corsair DDR400 RAM

Lite-On DVDRW

Coolermaster case
Antec Truepower 2.0 430w psu
Thermalright XP-120 heatsink (with Antec fan)

Asus A8N5X motherboard

Viewsonic VX2025wm 20.1" widescreen 1680x1050 monitor

Logitech x530 5.1 surround sound speakers
Plantronics .Audio 550 USB headset

Microsoft internet keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse optical

that's really not that great a computer... i would think a game like this would require at least 2gb ram to run close or = to the 360 version

quad core next year ftw!!!!!!!

"With the proper upgrade, you could have a PC that potentially runs The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion better than the Xbox 360 version. You could also have mods that weren't available in the 360 version. In addition, the entire Elder Scrolls community was created on the PC. The Xbox 360, at that point, had sold under 5 million units worldwide. So what happened? That's right, the 360 version killed its PC counterpart in sales, outselling even the previous edition (which was released first for the PC). And that's what will happen to every game released for these platforms."

What the **** does that have to do with me buying the superior version?

IJoel

Haha... unless the game ends up coming out soon after the Xbox 360 version, this will have no impact whatsoever in sales. It will only help serve as more XDF counterattack ammo for ridiculous arguments involving game lists:

XDF: MASS EFFECT!
?DF: Not truly exclusive, coming to PC!!11!

Speevy

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
What the **** does that have to do with me buying the superior version?

Because people don't buy PC games instead of consoles, or PC versions instead of console versions. It's a phenomenon that, based on sales numbers, seems to be limited to message boards.

JayDubya

Banned
It would be retarded for it NOT to come to PC.

I don't think my aged computer is better than a 360, but hell if it isn't better than a standard X-Box. KotOR, KotOR2:TSL, and Jade Empire were all far prettier and smoother on my PC (of course, KotOR2 was buggy as hell, but it was buggy even on console >_>).

Honestly, Bioware should release these games concurrently unless Microsoft gives them significant financial incentive to do otherwise, and I wish they would make them concurrent anyway. Things like this are killing the once lucrative and fantastic world of PC gaming.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ORANGUTAN said:
that's really not that great a computer... i would think a game like this would require at least 2gb ram to run close or = to the 360 version

quad core next year ftw!!!!!!!

This is my laptop that I bought last year.

Post that I made about it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37821

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
AlienRespawn: Alienware® Respawn Recovery Kit
Case: Area-51m 7700 Case with 17" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Display with Built-in Camera - Xeno Grey
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 560J w/ HT Technology 3.6GHz 1MB Cache
Motherboard: Intel® 915P Chipset Supporting PCI-Express
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 4 x 512MB
Video Card: Area-51m 7700 ATI MOBILITY RADEON X800 with 256MB of DDR 3 memory
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA - OEM
Hard Drive: Extreme Performance - RAID 0 - 120GB (60GB x 2) 7200 RPM ATA100 - Hitachi
Optical Drive One: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software

vs

360 w/ 65 inch TV

360 w/ 65 inch TV wins. I don't game on my PC anymore. Too tedious, and I like sitting my ass on my couch.

Top Bottom