• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect not officially announced for PC

Kabouter

DopeyFish said:
how is xbox 360 or PC even remotely similar? Please! do tell!

*grabs popcorn*
You can play games on both.
And most 360 games also appear on PC.
That makes them pretty similar imho :)

XSamu

Banned
Kabouter said:
Ehm.
Dude.
KotOR and it's sequel are on PC.
Jade Empire will be released on PC before the end of the year.
Oh, euhrm... well, didn't know about that. Nevermind then

No.1

It was always 'up-in-the-air' anyway. And with their previous games having previously been released on the PC, or about to be released, then the possibility was always on the cards.

I'll have to agree with what a lot of people have already said though, this really decreases my chances to buy a Xbox360. Gears of War and Mass Effect were probably the two prime reasons for me to buy the console, and now with the chances of Mass Effect being released some time down the line, I really don't feel like dishing out so much money for a console for one game - most likely come up once Halo 3 or something else pops up though.

The only thing I see that the Xbox360 has in its favour with these agreements is that the Xbox360, and soon the PS3, won't need to be upgraded every few years to play a lot of the games that'll be available for both platforms. And with increasing prices of PC parts, it makes a lot of casual gamers to turn to console gaming rather than PC gaming.

But yeah, good news regardless.

Borys

Banned
No.1 said:
I'll have to agree with what a lot of people have already said though, this really decreases my chances to buy a Xbox360. Gears of War and Mass Effect were probably the two prime reasons for me to buy the console, and now with the chances of Mass Effect being released some time down the line, I really don't feel like dishing out so much money for a console for one game - most likely come up once Halo 3 or something else pops up though.

Gears was leaked as a December 2007 PC release on Microsoft Switzerland (yeah I know) Games for Windows release list.

Take it as you will, though.

If MS had the balls they would release Halo 3 Vista on the PC and can that Halo 2 Vista project... I can keep dreaming, I know :(

DopeyFIsh said:
how is xbox 360 or PC even remotely similar? Please! do tell!

*grabs popcorn*

Well you can play some games on both system. You need a Media Center PC to do something on XBox 360 (dunno what?). Live Anywhere will allow you - Xbox gamer - to play against me - PC gamer.

Asking myself which version of Mass Effect to buy is a valid question for me. For you maybe not but that still means MS MUST market this game towards YOU and ME at the same time.

Kabouter

Borys said:
You need a Media Center PC to do something on XBox 360 (dunno what?).
Xbox 360 has media extender functionality.
Allows you to stream content through your 360 to your TV.
Also most of the other functionality of media center is available (like recording)
No playing Mahjong Titans via your 360 though :(.

Owzers

"Asking oneself which version of Mass Effect to buy is a valid question for me. For you maybe not but that still means MS MUST market this game towards YOU and ME at the same time."

Well if the game isn't coming out to PC and 360 at the same time they really don't have to market to both groups at once. Shadowrun will be the game that has to be marketed towards both gamers. I don't really care though, if i want it i'll buy it on 360. If someone else wants it and doesn't have a 360, they'll buy it on PC. They won't have it on PS3 or Wii though.

PipBoy

Banned
If there are so much PC gamers on GA why was the NWN thread only 2 pages long when the game was released ? why is there no thread about Gothic 3 exept one made by a console gamer mocking the game ? I dont remember much activity around Arcanum or Vampire either. The biggest PC RPG threads on GA are about the IE games because that's the only games GA "PC gamers" can run on their 5 years old laptop. Why would you like to wait 1 year and risk to be spoiled during 365 days on every gaming forum you visit ?

Kabouter

PipBoy said:
If there are so much PC gamers on GA why was the NWN thread only 2 pages long when the game was released ? why is there no thread about Gothic 3 exept one made by a console gamer mocking the game ? I dont remember much activity around Arcanum or Vampire either. The biggest PC RPG threads on GA are about the IE games because that's the only games GA "PC gamers" can run on their 5 years old laptop. Why would you like to wait 1 year and risk to be spoiled during 365 days on every gaming forum you visit ?

Who said there were many on GA?
GA is one of the most console-centric forums out there.
But that doesn't mean PC gaming is small by any means.

Tieno

Don't know if this has been posted...
But a Bioware guy had this to say...

Chris Priestly said:
Notice in the quote where it says "...(it’s currently only announced for Xbox 360): it’s not been officially confirmed but we have it on good authority."?

That's because it is a rumor, not a real story. If it was a real story you would have heard about it here. It is a rumor, and BioWare doesn't comment on rumors.

Although I will say I wish I had a dollar for every "on good authority" or "I heard it from" that says something about BioWare or one of our games.
Chris Priestly said:
This is getting too much needless attention.

As we've said before, there is a possibility that someday in the future we might make a PC version of Mass Effect. But currently the team is putting it's effort into making the 360 Exclusive version.

Since this has been asked and answered (again), it gets closed now.

LOCKDOWN!
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=504448&forum=104&sp=0
So if they have the time between making Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 and the in-between downloadable content and MS gives the ok. But don't expect it any time soon IF they do it.

Borys

Banned
Tieno said:
Don't know if this has been posted...
But a Bioware guy had this to say...

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=504448&forum=104&sp=0
So if they have the time between making Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 and the in-between downloadable content and MS gives the ok. But don't expect it any time soon IF they do it.

We know that. They were saying the exact same things about Jade Empire.

Point is it shouldn't leak so soon, even before the X360 version is finished.

Tieno

Borys said:
We know that. They were saying the exact same things about Jade Empire.

Point is it shouldn't leak so soon, even before the X360 version is finished.
Who says this is 'leaked'? They could be talking bullshit and it's a guess disguised as a rumor.

I can do it too: I have it on good authority DMC4 will come to PC's...

Borys

Banned
Tieno said:
Who says this is 'leaked'? They could be talking bullshit and it's a guess disguised as a rumor.

I can do it too: I have it on good authority DMC4 will come to PC's...

There is something you are missing:

1) Every BioWare Xbox RPG have ended up on PCs.
2) PC Gamer UK didn't do a preview of DMC4.
3) Oblivion PS3 - rumoured, leaked, unofficially announced. Remember that?

But keep on trying to... exactly what? Remind me what are you fighting for here.

bill0527

I'm so happy I play games and not systems. Its a wonderful feeling to wake up in the morning and realize that I'm not a corporate shill for anybody. :D

I'll have Mass Effect on day 1 whichever platform it arrives on first.

P.S. If you think Mass Effect was your only reason for purchasing a 360... I'd say the chances are good you never planned on getting one in the first place.

Grug

bill0527 said:
I'm so happy I play games and not systems. Its a wonderful feeling to wake up in the morning and realize that I'm not a corporate shill for anybody. :D

Doesn't that make you more of a whore at the corporate gangbang? A consumer Annabella Chong if you will...

bill0527

Grug said:
Doesn't that make you more of a whore at the corporate gangbang? A consumer Annabella Chong if you will...

Not really.

I don't dry hump my systems like the guy in that "Me & My 360" video from yesterday. :D

Another incredibly predictable thread.

"Another PC port? MS has screwed themselves again!"
"Boy I was really looking forward to getting an X360 but not anymore!"
"lol X360 = PC lol"
"Yeah no joke I was seriously going to buy a system for one game."

And now for my incredibly predictable reaction.

"WTF?"

Borys

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Another incredibly predictable thread.

"Another PC port? MS has screwed themselves again!"
"Boy I was really looking forward to getting an X360 but not anymore!"
"lol X360 = PC lol"
"Yeah no joke I was seriously going to buy a system for one game."

And now for my incredibly predictable reaction.

"WTF?"

You forgot:

"Who cares? PC gaming is dead"
"lol 1 year later... lol"
"My $299 360 runs it better than your $6000 rig"
"Why don't you play some Excel PC nerds?"
"It will still look better on Xbox 360 cause it was made for it."

PipBoy said:

Try the search function, there's a few gothic 3 threads, but I'd say the reason people aren't positing about it is the series has never had more than a cult following. And it's almost always the most buggy game you can buy when they come out :p.

NWN is old as hell, I loved the game; NWN2 is coming soon -- is that the thread you're talkin about? I still won't talk about it much here though, I have other forums for that.

PleoMax

Banned
Borys said:
You forgot:

Isn't this cool for ppl like you Bishop? Who hates the Xbox brand, but still would like to play some of the games available for it?

Well then...i don't see why would you try to point anything negative about this, you'll get to play the game a year later, just like you will be able to play Halo 2 and Jade Empire and were able to play fable and probably will be able to play Fable 2.

Its good that more people get to play the game 1 year after it releases on the console, what i don't get is how is this negative for MS....or how is it negative for Xbox. : / Its actually good because it kinda "relaunches" or refreshes the brand, its good for MS and for the sequel on the xbox.

lol

Kabouter

Zenith said:
does a (legal) copy of Vista cost more than a 360?

No.
If you want the ultimate version, with a wad of features nobody here will ever use, then you will pay equal to a 360. But you'll pay a fraction for a regular version.

Insertia said:
You're in 'console war' mode 24/7. Not everyone is out to degrade Xbox360 with their comments.
EXACTLY.

Borys said:
You forgot:

Yeah, but that's every PC thread anyway.
GAF hates PC, and I'm still not sure why.

Kabouter said:
Yeah, but that's every PC thread anyway.

Well when you break it down. A percentage of GAF is made up of pure japanophiles who will not play any western game. Another percentage of GAF consider WoW as their only PC game. There is yet another percentage of GAF that thinks PC gaming is too expensive(which in a way is true).

When you add it all up outside of a select(incredibly vocal) few GAF is largely not a fan of PC gaming. Then again don't take that too harshly because at times it seems like GAF isn't a fan of gaming in general.

I myself fall into the "too expensive" crowd. Most of my favorite PC games don't require a 3D card(Except System Shock 2). :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't hate PC gaming, but it has become less attractive to me these days. Over the years, polish and presentation has become more important to me and I feel that PC games typically fall flat on this front. What's even worse is when your experience with a new game is damaged for a number of reasons. Half-Life 2 was pretty polished, but the stuttering glithces early on combined with my middling hardware (which was around the recommended requirements, oddly enough) basically ruined my initial experience with the game. That first playthrough it the most important, however, so this was a real shame. I can't look forward to big, technically impressive PC games simply because I know that I won't be able to properly enjoy them right away.

That is why I find it difficult to enjoy PC gaming these days. Of course, this doesn't apply to all genres...

Core407

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't hate PC gaming, but it has become less attractive to me these days. Over the years, polish and presentation has become more important to me and I feel that PC games typically fall flat on this front. What's even worse is when your experience with a new game is damaged for a number of reasons. Half-Life 2 was pretty polished, but the stuttering glithces early on combined with my middling hardware (which was around the recommended requirements, oddly enough) basically ruined my initial experience with the game. That first playthrough it the most important, however, so this was a real shame. I can't look forward to big, technically impressive PC games simply because I know that I won't be able to properly enjoy them right away.

That is why I find it difficult to enjoy PC gaming these days. Of course, this doesn't apply to all genres...

Maybe you should avoid the 360 then. Patches seem to be an ongoing thing in the 360 world and for some reason I don't see them going away any time soon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Core407 said:
Maybe you should avoid the 360 then. Patches seem to be an ongoing thing in the 360 world and for some reason I don't see them going away any time soon.
I own a 360 and have been very vocal with my complaints in regards to average game performance, but even still, the patches have not had a significant impact on the games and none of the games have suffered from even a fraction of the troubles of a new, high-end PC game.

Part of that is my own fault, however, as finding the sweet spot proves difficult for me. I end up adjusting my settings more than playing the games. I might turn things up a bit and be happy...but then end up having problems with a certain area and turn them back down only to end up bothered by that fact and go in for more tweaking. I spend so much time going in and out of the menu without ever really reaching the performance levels I want. At least with 360, I know there is nothing I can do and simply accept it in a lot of situations. Thankfully, we don't have any 360 games with severe stuttering or other PC-like problems. It's pretty much a case of poor framerate and loading that bothers me there.

Borys said:
Dude, it's PC Gamer. They don't preview console exclusive games like PD:0, PGR3, FF12, Disgaea or Gran Turismo.

You want to act like Speevy did in all those "OBLIVION IS COMING TO PS3!" threads? Total & sad denial?

Besides wait till Vista launches. Then the "Games for Windows" marketing campaign will start.

I wonder how will MS cope with marketing TWO different yet similiar gaming platforms (X360 and the PC).

They previewed Rainbow Six Vegas for PC even though its release date isn't confirmed, they just, you know, anticipate its release. They've been doing that a lot.

Drek

Who really cares? You could buy an X360 premium for about what a graphics card capable of playing these games alone would cost you. You get them a year earlier on X360.

The only people who care about Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc. on PC are either a. fanboys or b. people with passing interest at best. If the games rated high enough for you to be must buys its a more efficient use of your money and time to just buy an X360.

Cool for me as I do only have a passing interest in Mass Effect (Bioware has managed to consistantly disapoint me more and more with each post-BG2 release) and will be buying a new Vista PC some time early to mid next year. But I'm still gonna buy a 360 for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If JE can come out on PC im 99% certain this will too, the only question is whether or not it will be within a reasonable timeframe of the xbox release...id guess no, but maybe as its a shooter (not a fighter) this time it'll be easier to develop side by side.

Top Bottom