• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect not officially announced for PC

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
If this is true then I'm guessing it will come out on the PC when the planned Mass Effect 1.5 downloadable content comes out on the 360.

"Because people don't buy PC games instead of consoles, or PC versions instead of console versions. It's a phenomenon that, based on sales numbers, seems to be limited to message boards."

Didn't answer my question one bit and really only panders to sales chart wanking tards that troll GAF. Thanks for being part of the problem.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ORANGUTAN said:
that's really not that great a computer... i would think a game like this would require at least 2gb ram to run close or = to the 360 version

quad core next year ftw!!!!!!!

I don't upgrade for no apparent reason, and I don't change PCs every 3 months. If that's not a gaming PC to you then well get a new set of eyes. That said, ram is cheap and as soon as I have a reason to go to 2gb I will.

Speevy

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Because people don't buy PC games instead of consoles, or PC versions instead of console versions. It's a phenomenon that, based on sales numbers, seems to be limited to message boards."

Didn't answer my question one bit and really only panders to sales chart wanking tards that troll GAF. Thanks for being part of the problem.

I wasn't trying to make you feel better about your gaming purchases. I only wished to analyze this from a perspective that would be relevant to MS.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
didn't the metal gear, devil may cry, meteos, and countless other "console" franchises get released on the PC eventually too? Did Sony lose anything from that?

99.99999% of gamers out there don't give a damn if any console game is ported to the PC for a quick cash in a year or more after it's released on the consoles. Did many people really care about Halo and Jade Empire PC years after their Xbox counterparts? Did their PC releases hurt Xbox console sales? hmmmm....

Defcon

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:
thats a beast of a laptop! i agree about playing on 360...even if i had a $5000 pc, i rather chill on my couch and play it on a nice tv and have achievements and stuff

Man I hate the sitting on the couch argument. You guys must have never have sat in a good computer chair.

"I wasn't trying to make you feel better about your gaming purchases. I only wished to analyze this from a perspective that would be relevant to MS."

The correct and relevant perspective is "Hey, we make money on both!" Not your retarded 360 whoring perspective.

IJoel

Interestingly, when it comes to choosing between PC or console versions of games, I find myself choosing console versions more and more (unless there are significant differences that could hinder gameplay.) I played both PC and X360 versions of Oblivion and just couldn't get into the PC version after playing the X360 version, as the 'couch gaming' comfort factor was so important for me when playing that game. That said, I can't conceive games like NWN2 being played with a console, mainly because their control scheme is so interface driven (highly customized for kb+m.) On the other hand, I'm hoping Dark Messiah of Might and Magic finds its way to the X360, as I'd like to play it there. :p

Speevy

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
The correct and relevant perspective is "Hey, we make money on both!" Not your retarded 360 whoring perspective.

I think my comments were more in line with how MS could make money on the 360 version and the PC version. No need for insults.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
JayDubya said:
HOLY HELL. What was that, $6000?!

alien2kh9.jpg

$4000

"I think my comments were more in line with how MS could make money on the 360 version and the PC version. No need for insults."

I just think it's amusing when GAF's Armchair Analysts pretend they know "The Biz."

Insertia

+1 for me. Now I don't have to worry about not having a 360 to play it. This was the 360 game that could get me to lay down the cash for the system.

JayDubya

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
*picture of beautiful premium gaming device*

$4000

So pretty.... but I could never bring myself to buy something so expensive. If $4000 magically fell out of the sky the same day my current computer spontaneously combusted, I'd probably buy the best desktop I could for $1000-1500 bucks and invest the rest. o_O

It's total blasphemy that you don't use that more than your 360 though. ;)

GreekWolf

Official word from Bioware -

As we've said before, there is a possibility that someday in the future we might make a PC version of Mass Effect. But currently the team is putting it's effort into making the 360 Exclusive version.

Since this has been asked and answered (again), it gets closed now.

LOCKDOWN!
/thread

Speevy

Banned
Insertia said:
+1 for me. Now I don't have to worry about not having a 360 to play it. This was the 360 game that could get me to lay down the cash for the system.

:lol They even changed the thread title and it still didn't work.

Zifnab

Speevy said:
I'm going by the last numbers Take-two/Bethesda released.

So there are newer numbers than the 1.7 million copies shipped? By those numbers, the Xbox 360 had outsold the PC version, but not by much. It was still under a million, and the PC version was far above 500,000 copies sold last I read. I fail to see where you're getting "killed it's PC counterpart" from.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The vast majority of people who can run Mass Effect happily on their PC's probably arnet going to be buying 360's anytime soon.

GreekWolf

ORANGUTAN said:
That quote makes it sound like it's something way off (a year or more?) not "a few months after the 360 version", or even in 2007.
Chris Priestly mentioned awhile back that, at the moment, they had NO plans to bring Mass Effect to the PC and that IF they even decided to work on such a project, it wouldn't even begin until at some point in the future after the 360 version had been on store shelves for awhile.

So, I take that to mean two things. Going by Bioware's track record, a PC version of Mass Effect is inevitable. It's also inevitable that the soonest you'll see it is sometime late 2008 or early 2009.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gaming on any next-gen console is better than a laptop. I don't care if the laptop cost $10,000.

RumFore

Banned
xhadoukenx said:
The vast majority of people who can run Mass Effect happily on their PC's probably arnet going to be buying 360's anytime soon.

If anything there the ones buying 360's because its close to a PC and I know thats why I got one. I just couldnt wait to play GRAW which IMO ended up being better on the 360. Also alot of games that were once traditionaly PC only games that would then be ported to consoles months later are instead ending up on it first.

But to tell the truth, the 360 is the system I have been dreaming of for years. Sucks it came about 4 years to late and after I got caught up in buildng and upgrading my system every year. PC gaming for me awhile back was the Holy Grail of gaming and it still is for many. I use to dream I would someday have a PC capable of running games like Grim Fandango, Quake, NOLF, Medal of Honor etc which even looking at picturs of on the internet restarted my system. The XBox has spoiled many and brought consoles along way.

Hunter D

I doubt this will be ported and if it is it would take a while. Bioware is working on ME, the sequels for it, DA, another netgen game, an MMO, and a handheld game.

HunterD, they probably won't handle the porting themselves but hand it out to Obsidian or something (KotOR 2 dev's) or LTI (the guys handling JE on PC)

It's bioware, they're not gonna ditch their base for good :p. Besides, it's still money goin to MS in a round about way (royalties for a program running on windows ;) ). I believe Jade Empire was never confirmed either for PC near launch, yet it's right around the corner now.

Maybe it will be beefed up like the PC version of Jade Empire is gonna be ^_^.

I predict the same or slightly longer turn around that Jade Empire had. THat's certainly long enough for the console to get just about every sale out of a game that it's gonna get, and introducing it to the PC market squeezes that many more sales out of (mostly) the same work.

I can't believe all the people in this thread complaining about Bioware games coming out on PC as well as 360. Good lord, the company has far reaching PC roots. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Microsoft is making a concerted effort to push PC gaming. After all, Windows is essentially their platform too, it's not like they only have Xbox 360.

Plus, as gamers, why would you not want that option? It's not like there's anything intrinsic about the PC that makes it an inferior platform for these games.

Kabouter

EviLore said:
I don't want to knock the 360 here, but they really should try to keep some games true exclusives, not just console exclusive. I would've owned a 360 by now if I couldn't play most of its good games on my PC.
MS wants me to sell my 360 it seems :{

Speevy said:
That's not going to happen though. There isn't a large group of people that upgrades their PCs instead of buying consoles. There isn't even a large group of people that buys PC games, except for a selection of really popular ones that wouldn't work on consoles.
Have you ever heard of this place called Europe?

Speevy said:
Because people don't buy PC games instead of consoles, or PC versions instead of console versions. It's a phenomenon that, based on sales numbers, seems to be limited to message boards.

Seen it often enough

quetz67

Banned
I like the Bioware stuff, but it wont make me buy a 360 anyway (too much other games to play) so I think the decision is fine.

There might be some who would get a 360 just for this game, but I dont think they would really make a difference.

Uncle

I wonder who would do the port? I'm pretty sure that the Mass Effect team is going to be busy until the trilogy is done (with the DLC between games and all).

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
Um..I don't see the problem. This game's console sales will destroy the PC one's sales, and the console gets it first. Not a single sale will be lost by this, just as KOTOR, Morrowind, Jade Empire, Doom 3, etc. all sold well on the Xbox.

You never ****ing learn do you?

And about Doom 3, because you don't have a slightest cue - it sold around 1/6th of what it did on PC on Xbox.

As was mentioned by some people above - another reason NOT to buy an Xbox 360. I think you should understand and not flame me cause you didn't buy one also.

hadareud

The Translator
Kabouter said:
Have you ever heard of this place called Europe?

do you think Mass Effect would have turned Europe from PC gamers into 360 gamers?

It's also not the whole of Europe that is so big on PC gaming.

Kabouter

GreekWolf said:
How is that? You're planning to wait another 3 years for a game that may or may not pop up on your PC?

By systematically eliminating all exclusives for the platform, I don't see much of a reason to keep it. And who cares if I play a game a year earlier? That to me is not worth owning a 400 euro platform for.

hadareud said:
do you think Mass Effect would have turned Europe from PC gamers into 360 gamers?

It's also not the whole of Europe that is so big on PC gaming.

Most of Europe, and no, but it would definitely have helped.
Microsoft isn't getting anywhere here without exclusives.

GreekWolf

Kabouter said:
Most of Europe, and no, but it would definitely have helped.
Microsoft isn't getting anywhere here without exclusives.
Well, it's just my opinion, but I think anyone who wants to find a reason to get rid of their game system will certainly find one. It's possible that at some point in the future, both Gears of War and Mass Effect will show up on the PC in one form or another. If those are the only two games you purchased an Xbox 360 for, then I would strongly encourage you to pack it up in the box and hurry down to Gamestop for a decent trade-in value before the system recieves a price drop.

There will be many more exclusives on the system that won't be appearing anywhere else. If you don't give a flip about titles like Banjo Threeie, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Halo 3, PGR4 and Lost Planet... then there's really no reason to own a 360. It's as simple as that.

Kabouter

GreekWolf said:
There will be many more exclusives on the system that won't be appearing anywhere else. If you don't give a flip about titles like Banjo Threeie, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Halo 3, PGR4 and Lost Planet... then there's really no reason to own a 360. It's as simple as that.

Just PGR4 from that list :)
The only reason why I do intend on keeping it is because I freakin' hate playing multiplayer on PC.

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
Just close the thread. It was mean-spirited in the first place and hasn't gone well so far.

Wow, that's beyond pathetic.

So people who don't want to shell out $460 to play Mass Effect on your beloved Xbox 360 are "mean-spirited"?

I guess that makes you "mean-spirited" also cause you didn't spend a ****ing DIME on your Xbox 360.

neock5.png

Wow, why are you trolling this PC game thread anyway? I know it hurts you but this is ridiculous.

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
I think my comments were more in line with how MS could make money on the 360 version and the PC version. No need for insults.

You are not an MS employee, get a grip, tool.

Owzers

"So people who don't want to shell out $460 to play Mass Effect on your beloved Xbox 360 are "mean-spirited"?"

Shouldn't they be happy about being able to play Mass Effect on their PC? Gaming = fun? But instead...it gives them reasons to bash Microsoft....and post how the sky is falling and Microsoft is losing so many potential consumers....because on a message board Mass Effect is potentially coming out to the pc at some undisclosed timeframe.

XSamu

Banned
I don't see why it should come to the PC. Neither do I get the point where it's "logic that it comes to the PC". I mean, neither the KOTOR games, nor Jade Empire where release for the PC, so why should Mass Effect be? Anyway, as long as it isn't released for the PS3 I'm happy :)

Kabouter

XSamu said:
I don't see why it should come to the PC. Neither do I get the point where it's "logic that it comes to the PC". I mean, neither the KOTOR games, nor Jade Empire where release for the PC, so why should Mass Effect be? Anyway, as long as it isn't released for the PS3 I'm happy :)

Ehm.
Dude.
KotOR and it's sequel are on PC.
Jade Empire will be released on PC before the end of the year.

Borys

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
^ not officially announced confirmed.

Dude, it's PC Gamer. They don't preview console exclusive games like PD:0, PGR3, FF12, Disgaea or Gran Turismo.

You want to act like Speevy did in all those "OBLIVION IS COMING TO PS3!" threads? Total & sad denial?

Besides wait till Vista launches. Then the "Games for Windows" marketing campaign will start.

I wonder how will MS cope with marketing TWO different yet similiar gaming platforms (X360 and the PC).

Owzers

"Wait till Vista launches, duh."

Or maybe they want to actually release the game on 360 BEFORE confirming that it's coming out to the PC later.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Borys said:
Wait till Vista launches, duh.

I wonder how will MS cope with marketing TWO different yet similiar gaming platforms (X360 and the PC).

how is xbox 360 or PC even remotely similar? Please! do tell!

*grabs popcorn*

Syb

XSamu said:
Both KOTOR games were released on PC...

Edit: Beaten.

Borys

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
Or maybe they want to actually release the game on 360 BEFORE confirming that it's coming out to the PC later.

No doubt on my side. As I said I wouldn't want to be MS games marketing chief right now.

Top Bottom