• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master System games coming to VC

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Maybe if we're really lucky, we'll get the Game Gear version of Gunstar Heroes on the Virtual Console as an import.

By the way, when we get 8 bit Sonic 2, I really hope it's the Master System version as the Game Gear version, due to the decreased visibility, has some of the cheapest difficulty you'll ever see. The first boss is ludicrously hard and there are tons of blind jumps and enemies you don't see until the last second. Plus, Sonic 2 had those hang gliders in the Sky High Zone. Those horrible, horrible hang gliders.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes!

myhero187650.jpg

g02379g601g.jpg

reviewalfsms-6.jpg

Jiggy

Jiggy37 said:
By the time I wake up tomorrow and this thread has grown, I'm expecting/hoping that just like the TG16 CD and Neo Geo threads, I'll be able to go looking through everybody's lists, searching for the games on YouTube, and identifying at least half a dozen games I never knew I wanted.
Good job, everyone.

SMS/GG games I wanted as of this time yesterday: ...
SMS/GG games I want now: Aleste, Aleste 2, Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone 2, Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellius, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and possibly Quartet

That's more than half a dozen.
Anyway, I'm especially looking forward to Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellius, and Wonder Boy. I already know that latter is a proven commodity (let me put it this way: I got Monster World and The Dynastic Hero knowing full well they were the same game with different soundtracks, just to support the series--and to enjoy the different soundtrack, but mostly to support the series). As for GAW and Golvellius, both Neutopia games have convinced me that Zelda 1 clones are a good, good thing... So, again, looking forward to them. :D

Now to just wait for Nintendo to get back on the ball and quit this idiocy of two games per week. :|

Walshicus

mashedpotatoes said:
I never had phantasy star as a kid but I did have Miracle Warriors, my first RPG ever and my god did I sink the hours into it. It still bugs me to this day that I somehow figured out at the age of 7 how to get all the companions, the ships, had hugely levelled characters, sea dragons were my bitches, I wandered the deserts with impunity but I never figured out the final riddles. Was something like 12 steps this way, 9 that way.. blah. I must've tried for months and months before giving up. Did anyone manage it legitimately?

It was *my* first RPG too...

This doesn't really do much for me, but it's always nice to see more systems added to VC. Hopefully this news plus the Smash Bros. stuff signifies that Nintendo still has some big plans for the project.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
George Claw M.D. said:
Heh. I pretty much mirror your console beginnings. My first console was also the 2600, then the SMS. I didn't even get an NES until SNES was released. I still have my SMS, too, with about 20 games, including the lightgun, 3D glasses, and joystick.

Miracle Warriors was my favorite game on the system, even over Phantasy Star. The collective Wonder Boy games came in second. I remember Miracle Warriors having an incredibly tough early game. You "HAD" to grind within a few squares of the first heal point, in order to progress. Even then, within that first section of the game, you still had to cherrypick which enemies you fought, namely the Evil Merchants.

Man, it was SO hard. I didn't get Phantasy Star until much later, so Miracle Warriors was basically the 2nd ever rpg I played (Dragon Warrior on the NES being the first, over at a friend's house. Interesting anecdote, the very first ever NES game I ever played was Section Z :lol on his system. I was BLOWN AWAY.)

Anyhoo, you are right, you were forced to grind and choose what to fight, but man was it worth it. I remember keeping copious notes on things (probably still have them in a box somewhere, I'll have to look), and talking endlessly about it at school with my NES-owning friends. I, too, didn't get the NES until less than a year before the SNES was released. I never was too sore about it though, for the SMS did me fine.

I'll buy most of the games listed in this thread as they are released, I'm sure of it, if for nothing else than to just be able to fire them up at any given moment and look at them.

Walshicus

Big Nate; did you make your own hardcopy of the world map with grid paper and lots of exploring? We got our copy of the game second-hand so we never knew if it came with a map in the original release... damn that thing took me forever to do.

mashedpotatoes said:
I never had phantasy star as a kid but I did have Miracle Warriors, my first RPG ever and my god did I sink the hours into it. It still bugs me to this day that I somehow figured out at the age of 7 how to get all the companions, the ships, had hugely levelled characters, sea dragons were my bitches, I wandered the deserts with impunity but I never figured out the final riddles. Was something like 12 steps this way, 9 that way.. blah. I must've tried for months and months before giving up. Did anyone manage it legitimately?
I did, but don't remember exactly how. I do remember counting steps, over and over, though. Also, I later found out from a friend that you could call 1-800-USA-SEGA and have them send you a printed strategy guide in an envelope, all free of charge. I did this for about 5 different games. The guides were surprisingly thorough, complete with any cheat codes and dungeon maps. This was an amazing service, pre-Internet age, when the best most people could hope for was for the game to be covered in an issue of GamePro or Sega Visions.

Jiggy

StoOgE said:
Jiggy: Cloud master. It is t3h awesome.
I would probably have listed it, but it's getting a Wii disc remake anyway... And if I wanted the cheaper price, I'd hold out for the TG16 version. Same reason I'm not listing Ys (except substitute Wii remake for DS remake).

Incidentally, scouring GameFAQs listings has made me realize how SMS-oriented this thread has been, because nobody's mentioned that there are Shining titles on the Game Gear. Time to go figure out yet more games I want. :lol

mollipen

Between the NES and SMS, I had the NES first, and even went so far as to convince a friend of mine to get rid of his SMS and get an NES instead. Then, I decided that I wanted an SMS, got the SuperScope 3D bundle for Christmas, and loved the thing.

I don't remember which I played first, but I did both Phantasy Star and Miracle Warriors. Miracle Warriors was no PS, but a friend and I went through a lot of the game together, so I still have fond memories of it. Zillion 1 and 2, Bomber Raid, Rampage (way better than the NES version), Double Dragon (ditto), Golvelius, Psycho Fox, Y's, a lot of great stuff over the life of the console.

And, of course, the SMS would lead me to the Genesis, which then completely transformed me into a hardcore Sega fan at that point. (I still remember getting Altered Beast for the Master System, being crushed that it was only one player, then soon after playing the Genesis version and just being in awe of what my new home console was doing.)

firex

I'll buy Phantasy Star off this. the price is a bit crazy, but nothing compared to actually buying Phantasy Star on its own, and it's probably cheaper than the GBA PS collection too.

Iam Canadian

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Huh? I had thought the Game Gear version of Gunstar was a good game, with some significant differences from the Genesis one.

Then again, I've never played it. I just get excited by anything with the word "Gunstar" in the title.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sir Fragula said:
Big Nate; did you make your own hardcopy of the world map with grid paper and lots of exploring? We got our copy of the game second-hand so we never knew if it came with a map in the original release... damn that thing took me forever to do.

I was trying to remember if I graphed this one out or not, but I can't recall. I do know I wrote down stuff like what monster did what, how powerful it was, etc. I did graph out Phantasy Star, though.

Ahhh, those were the days... I really miss that form of gaming. Each and every game I got back then mattered. It wasn't like now, when I can go down to GameStop or Best Buy and purchase any game I wish, at any time I wish it. Sadly this leads to me not ever fully enjoying all a game has to offer, unless it is a rare gem that hooks me (Oblivion comes to mind). Gone are the days of obsessively leveling up characters in FFIII (6) on my SNES, or graphing dungeons in Phantasy Star.

Iam Canadian said:
Huh? I had thought the Game Gear version of Gunstar was a good game, with some significant differences from the Genesis one.

Then again, I've never played it. I just get excited by anything with the word "Gunstar" in the title.

Well that's the thing. It's a pretty weak port.

I mean it gives off the impression that Sega actually tried to port it to the GG but the Genesis is so far beyond in terms of processing power that it doesn't match up at all.

Also the Black's dice stage is missing entirely...weak.

Iam Canadian

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well that's the thing. It's a pretty weak port.

I mean it gives off the impression that Sega actually tried to port it to the GG but the Genesis is so far beyond in terms of processing power that it doesn't match up at all.

Also the Black's dice stage is missing entirely...weak.

What? Aw, the Dice Palace was one of the best stages in the game. Lamesauce.

I watched a Youtube video of it, and yeah, it's a pretty inferior port. The Seven Force battle looks kind of cool, though; you're flying instead of riding in a mine cart. Other than that, though, it's pretty weak.

A salute to the SMS from what's left of my collection. I traded some other games for some of the current ones, back in the day. The only one I recall regretting trading was Ghostbusters. Also, I never had the box for Phantasy Star. I found it at the bottom of a bargain bin, at a used game store, during the N64/PS era.

2j362hj.jpg

I agree with others that Nintendo is charging too much for these games, though.

Wonderful news!

I had an SMS and an NES when I was a kid and loved both of them equally. However, one thing I always preferred on the SMS were the title screens. They seemed more inviting than the majority of NES title screens.

Anyone ever play the SMS Fist of the North Star? I don't recall it coming to America, but I played the NES one, which was pretty terrible. Last Battle on the Genesis was okay.

Count Dookkake said:
Wonderful news!

I had an SMS and an NES when I was a kid and loved both of them equally. However, one thing I always preferred on the SMS were the title screens. They seemed more inviting than the majority of NES title screens.

Anyone ever play the SMS Fist of the North Star? I don't recall it coming to America, but I played the NES one, which was pretty terrible. Last Battle on the Genesis was okay.
Last Batle is the sequel to it. SMS version is better though, mainly because the Mega Drive had a lot of better beat'em ups by the time the game came out.

broadwayrock said:
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo doesn't have a say in how much Sega charge for their games on VC.
Maybe not completely, but they still have to approve it. I'm sure Sega or any other publisher can't just decide they want to arbitrarily charge $100US per game. Regardless of who's setting the prices, though, my opinion is that it's too expensive at the announced prices, for ancient games that have no unsold inventory, fabrication, packaging, physical distribution, or floorspace expenses.

jarrod

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:
Maybe not completely, but they still have to approve it. I'm sure Sega or any other publisher can't just decide they want to arbitrarily charge $100US per game. Regardless of who's setting the prices, though, my opinion is that it's too expensive at the announced prices, for ancient games that have no unsold inventory, fabrication, packaging, physical distribution, or floorspace expenses.
Maybe, but one also has to wonder if Sony undervaluing their Classic reissues is what's keeping SEGA, Hudson, SNK and D4 from bringing their formats to PSN? If PS1 games were $10-12, then maybe PS3/PSP owners would have the chance to buy $5-6 SMS games too... but as is, why bother when SEGA would need to slash their margins by half or more?

In order to be more competitive, Sony may have actually limited PSN in a sense...

PepsimanVsJoe said:
That really doesn't make any sense.
The MD sequel didn't improve the game, it actually made it worse by having some awful labirynth levels filled with traps, and when it came out there were tons of better games already.

The SMS version is similar to Kung Fu on the NES, maybe it's the nostalgia talking but I liked it better than the sequel for being so simple. You just run left, right punching people.

DuMaurier

bryehn said:
I actually did in the post above you. Quartet was so awesomely awesome and cool. I remember getting to a weird sound test screen once, and i didn't want to turn off the system cause I never knew how to get back to it :p

I think it was the second game I finished, Wonder Boy being the first. Also, The Justified ancients of Mu Mu were fuck-awesome.

Nice find. That (not an) AT-ST in that first underground level game me hell the first few times I saw it.

Yeah, you snuck yours in just ahead of me.

I got to that sound test screen once too. Wasn't the ship from Fantasy Zone the icon you used to select tracks? I think the code for the level select cheat is hit pause 12 times then press diagonally down and to the left while pressing the 1 and 2 buttons on the second controller.

I still have the super cheat from Wonder Boy III burned in my brain.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally. I was wondering wtf was taking so long. I get the 500 point pricing (in line with NES), but 600 is pushing it.

Jiggy

jarrod said:
Maybe, but one also has to wonder if Sony undervaluing their Classic reissues is what's keeping SEGA, Hudson, SNK and D4 from bringing their formats to PSN? If PS1 games were $10-12, then maybe PS3/PSP owners would have the chance to buy $5-6 SMS games too... but as is, why bother when SEGA would need to slash their margins by half or more?

In order to be more competitive, Sony may have actually limited PSN in a sense...
I'm inclined to agree, especially after someone in the VC thread brought up the question of how much it costs to get new ESRB ratings; I'd be curious what that figure really is, and how much it affects which games are or aren't showing up on any of these downloadable services.

jarrod

Banned
Mejilan said:
Finally. I was wondering wtf was taking so long. I get the 500 point pricing (in line with NES), but 600 is pushing it.
From the looks of it, 600 is for licensed titles (again, like FC/NES). Expect "imports" to be that price too (come to me Sylvan Tale!)

Jiggy37 said:
I'm inclined to agree, especially after someone in the VC thread brought up the question of how much it costs to get new ESRB ratings; I'd be curious what that figure really is, and how much it affects which games are or aren't showing up on any of these downloadable services.
It's doubly curious when you consider Sony's inital claims about wanting Genesis & TG16 on PSN. Plus NeoGeo support was actually announced pre-release and seems to have vanished.

I also wonder if Nintendo maybe hasn't used their leading position to negociate "exclusivity" on these formats?

Ilchymis

sionyboy said:
Ahhh Alex Kidd, the game that was magically placed inside my SMS2. How did Sega achieve such depths of wizardry?
You don't have to answer that

Though the stone, paper, scissors matches were a bit annoying, especially if you forgot the order they came in. I'm glad that most bosses these days don't rely solely on a game of chance to allow you to progress.

What was the Spiderman game that allowed you take pictures of the henchman, which gave you cash for web fluid? I loved that game.

Oh god! I had that spiderman game too! It was so fucking bad, hahahah. I never really understood it, but I always tried to get into it and failed. Wasn't it this one?

acm2000 said:
£4.49 for a master system game? hahahahaha, they can go stick their head in a pig

1000 points is £7, so no, these are only £3.50, £4.20 at most. That's hardly, the rape some seem to think it to be. You only have to buy the games you want, Phantasy Star for £3.50 seems like good enough value to me.

camineet

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Lots of platformers/action games, lots of arcade ports,

I'd say, more like arcade adaptions, not ports.

16-bit Sega arcade to Master System = adaptions

8-bit Sega arcade to Master System = conversions/translations.

Go319

hey gaf,

whats the best version of Wonder Boy in Monster World?

im reading on wiki that the TuroGarfx CD one has some extra content...should i d/load this from VC or wait for another version?

Count Dookkake said:
Wonderful news!

Black Belt was pretty much Fist of the north star.

To the uninitiated: be wary of Wonder Boy in Monster Land. it'll rip you one even worse than any of the G'n'G games.

Just remembered there was even a version of Monster World III for the MS.

Jiggy

Go319 said:
hey gaf,

whats the best version of Wonder Boy in Monster World?

im reading on wiki that the TuroGarfx CD one has some extra content...should i d/load this from VC or wait for another version?
I liked the TGCD version better than the Genesis one due to the superior sound quality (and IMO superior music compositions) and a last boss that's actually moderately beatable. But the real Wonder Boy in the Genesis version has a better character design, the game will eat up about 200 less Wii blocks, and some people prefer the lighter, less "epic" music of the Genesis version.
I think you can't really go wrong either way.

Top Bottom