• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master System games coming to VC

Iceman

camineet said:
The 2 greatest Master System games are

Phantasy Star - 1987 - RPG
and
Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap

When I saw this post I did a double take wondering if I had posted it.

But I would still love me Shinobi and Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

Souther

Banned
Hmmmm no one mentioned Lord of the Sword or Kenseiden?

And I'll buy a Wii if Phantasy Star comes out on VC. Also Gouvellius is awesome.

And like was mentioned previous, Phantasy Star needs the FM sound. Its fantastic.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wii Master System Card games also be released? If they are they'll hopefully be cheaper than 500 points.

Jeff-DSA said:
This game probably sucked, but I played it non-stop anyway.

ENDURO RACER!!!

enduro_racer.gif

If this does show up, I really hope it's the Japanese version. For some reason Sega cut half the levels out for the US/PAL release. ;__;

Souther said:
Hmmmm no one mentioned Lord of the Sword or Kenseiden?

And I'll buy a Wii if Phantasy Star comes out on VC. Also Gouvellius is awesome.

And like was mentioned previous, Phantasy Star needs the FM sound. Its fantastic.

Kenseiden is easily in my top 3 memories of SMS games (alex kidd in miracle world and miracle warriors to fill out the rest) It was surprisingly deep for your usual side scrolling slash-em-up. Extra moves to learn from the training dojo's, extra health to gain, and my puny 7 year old brain thought all the quirky japanese monsters were the best thing in the world. I really should find a rom, it's been too long. I'm sure i'd be horribly dissapointed with it if I played it again though, the cartoons I watched in the late 80's haven't held up well at all either.

Bildi

I've always wanted to play Psycho Fox. C'mon Psycho Fox!

That reminds me, I also want Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure. Hurry up already Sega - why isn't it on VC yet?

Rlan

I wonder if SEGA are intending on expanding on their XBLA releases. Golden Axe and Sonic came out at E3, and then they released Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 a bit later, but nothing since.

I'd love to see Master System games show up on XBLA as well, but Megadrive games are 400 Points for the one game.. but then the consensus is that Master Systems aren't "worth" as much as those.

I'd love to see some 400 point "2 game collections", like some of the Atari games, but much better!

Master System twofers:

Sonic 1 / Sonic 2
Alex Kidd in Miracle World / Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Donald Duck Lucky Dime Caper / Deep Duck Trouble
Psycho Fox / Wonder Boy
Sonic Chaos / Sonic Triple Trouble
Fantasy Zone / Fantasy Zone 2 / The Maze
Shinobi / Shadow Dancer
Golden Axe Warrior / Ax Battler
Mickey Mouse Land of Illusion / Legend of Illusion
Master of Darkness / [Dunno??]
Phantasy Star [Alone?]
Wonder Boy in Monster Land / III: Dragon's Trap
Zillion / Zillion II

and BAM, you have my monies!

Sega master system was my first console!! So many games I loved on this system.. I eventually got an NES but i still loved my master system as a kid.

I had an atari before that but .. i wouldn't call that mine as i was like 3.. it was more my dads and i just played it :p

I'd buy Phantasy star 1 on this for sure.. Long ass game
the original shinobi..
tons of games actually..
Enduro racer I lovedd!! someone mentioned the japanese had more tracks? that would be sweet if we got the import.
Alex the kid games!

I'd pay 500 for these games.. they're worth the same as NES games.. I don't know why some games will cost 600 though that doesn't sound right to me

Rlan said:
I wonder if SEGA are intending on expanding on their XBLA releases. Golden Axe and Sonic came out at E3, and then they released Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 a bit later, but nothing since.

I'd love to see Master System games show up on XBLA as well, but Megadrive games are 400 Points for the one game.. but then the consensus is that Master Systems aren't "worth" as much as those.

I'd love to see some 400 point "2 game collections", like some of the Atari games, but much better!

Master System twofers:

Sonic 1 / Sonic 2
Alex Kidd in Miracle World / Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Donald Duck Lucky Dime Caper / Deep Duck Trouble
Psycho Fox / Wonder Boy
Sonic Chaos / Sonic Triple Trouble
Fantasy Zone / Fantasy Zone 2 / The Maze
Shinobi / Shadow Dancer
Golden Axe Warrior / Ax Battler
Mickey Mouse Land of Illusion / Legend of Illusion
Master of Darkness / [Dunno??]
Phantasy Star [Alone?]
Wonder Boy in Monster Land / III: Dragon's Trap
Zillion / Zillion II

and BAM, you have my monies!

Don't forget the Aleste/Power Strike games. Amazing how Compile went crazy on the SMS with those two games.

pulga

Banned
The best thing for me to come out of this thread is the knowledge that there is a game out there called ¨Robocop vs. Terminator¨. Life is awesome.

sk3tch

All of you guys that are high on Psycho Fox - you might want to fire it up and take a look. It did not age well.

Asterix on the other hand...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just heard the news. Fuck YES!!!

Zillion and Phantasy Star here I come. I never got the chance to play the original Phantasy Star. Always wanted to.

GDGF

Soothsayer
TJ Spyke said:
You could buy "Phantasy Star Collection" for the Game Boy Advance, it contains the first 3 of the PS games.

Yeah I know, but it's probably hard to find. I'll just wait for it to come to VC. Funny story, I actually owned Phantasy Star for a short time (it was given to me as a Christmas present back in 1988 I think) but when I noticed how much it cost I took it back (unopened) to Toys R Us and with a little more cash involved I came home with a shiny new NES. So began my Nintendo addiction.

ethelred

TJ Spyke said:
You could buy "Phantasy Star Collection" for the Game Boy Advance, it contains the first 3 of the PS games.

Yes, but Phantasy Star 1 is bugged in that version. I don't know any Phantasy Star fan that would recommend playing that version.

Teddman

SonicMegaDrive said:
GameGear, too, eh? Surprising, considering the resolution is blown up and pixelated.
Not that surprising actually, given that the SMS hardware and GameGear hardware were virtually identical, making any emulator coded for one system compatible with the other. As long as Sega's VirtualConsole emulator can run games from both systems, they might as well throw them up on the shop channel.

Vrolokus

Banned
ethelred said:
Yes, but Phantasy Star 1 is bugged in that version. I don't know any Phantasy Star fan that would recommend playing that version.

Indeed... it's the worst kind of "bugged": the save system is f-ed up.

Do not buy it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Vargas said:
I forget, but was Aztec Adventure any good?

I always liked it. It was hard as fuck for me at the time, though. Never beat it.

I can't wait to play The Ninja again, btw. Also Space Harrier for the SMS (which I enjoyed more than Genesis Space Harrier II, actually)

camineet

Banned
There's nothing like owning the real hardware along with the Light Phaser gun and SegaScope 3-D Glasses. The half dozen or so 3D games are mostly all worth having.

Missile Defense 3-D
Zaxxon 3-D
Blade Eagle 3-D
Poseidon Wars 3-D
Maze Hunder 3-D
Space Harrier 3-D

BigDug13

Lee N said:
Clearly, you're the one who's greedy - wanting everything for free. $5 is fair for a good game.

I hope they release Phantasy Star soon (I know Phantasy Star 2 is confirmed for the japanese market already).

I don't think $5 is fair for something you can buy at a garage sale for pennies. These companies made their money from these games long ago. What development work has been done to these games to warrant giving them another $5 to play them on the Wii? Have they been digitally remastered in higher resolution? Have they been given any sort of enhanced features? Achievements even?

sinnergy

I always thought Sonic 1 and 2 where only on Genesis :lol Did those version got released along side the genesis versions?

apujanata

BigDug13 said:
I don't think $5 is fair for something you can buy at a garage sale for pennies. These companies made their money from these games long ago. What development work has been done to these games to warrant giving them another $5 to play them on the Wii? Have they been digitally remastered in higher resolution? Have they been given any sort of enhanced features? Achievements even?

If you want to connect 10 system to your TV, and play cartridge that takes lots of space, and which batteries might die on you (and losing your save game), then you just do it. I believe most people prefer the other way around (VC). No need to rain on people's preference and force your preference on them.

BitchTits

sk3tch said:
All of you guys that are high on Psycho Fox - you might want to fire it up and take a look. It did not age well.

Mmm, I dunno, it's still a great platformer, the controls might seem a little screwy, as if you're constantly playing an ice level in any other platformer.

I recently played through Magical Hat Adventure on the Mega Drive which is almost a sequel (released as Decap Attack in the West) and had a blast. These games are almost like proto-Sonic platformers with their high speed run'n'jump style. :)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BigDug13 said:

Are games art?

If they are, then this discussion seems a bit silly... should "art" be "updated" to make it worthwhile?

"Whaa... all they have is the Mona Lisa? I'm not going to see THAT unless they've added flashing lights and redemption tickets to the gallery!"

TJ Spyke

sinnergy said:
I always thought Sonic 1 and 2 where only on Genesis :lol Did those version got released along side the genesis versions?

Master System versions released months later. Sonic The Hedgehog was released on Genesis in June 1991, and a MS versions (featuring new stages, different levels, and a level map are some of the changes) was released on October 1991.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 was released on Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear at the same time.

Jiggy

Asking why people would want to buy VC games when they could get the cartridges for pennies is kind of like asking why people would want to buy DVDs when they could get the VHSes for pennies. The answer lies in whether the priority is to save money or to have a format that takes up far less space and has a great deal more convenience.

In the case of DVD vs. VHS, DVD avoids the need to rewind or fast-forward to favored parts of a movie/show; in the case of VC vs. physical copies, VC avoids the need to have a system hooked up and the need to go through a lengthy process when switching between games and systems. Accessing NES, SMS, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Neo-Geo, and N64 games with a few button presses and no extra space occupied in the house--I think this is a large part (if not necessarily the majority part) of what people value about VC.

Top Bottom