• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master Volume should be set to 50%, not 100%

93xfan

Banned
Edited to more clearly explain. Sorry I really botched the first explanation (and possibly the second).

Sometimes a developer has the intended master volume in the middle. Sometimes this is labeled 100% or 50%, but regardless, is the default setting and is in line the most with other games.

I’d just like all games to by default set it in or near the middle so that people could not only lower the volume, but increase it.

I have games that I like a little louder than others for various reasons, and it’d be nice not to have to adjust the receiver volume from game to game.

it is a small thing, and a luxury- but seeing some developers do it makes me think it’d be a nice standard.

Last edited:
So what is normally 100 percent should be reset to 50 percent, meaning games should be able to get twice as loud (if preferred) across the board?

I guess I’ve never really thought about it, I usually game with a headset and adjust volume with the headset dial, but sure why not

93xfan

Banned
So what is normally 100 percent should be reset to 50 percent, meaning games should be able to get twice as loud (if preferred) across the board?

I guess I’ve never really thought about it, I usually game with a headset and adjust volume with the headset dial, but sure why not

Yeah, I don’t use a headset, so sometimes I’m annoyed at having to turnup the volume for certain games when I could just have it saved at the correct volume. Not a major deal, but an easy adjustment.

it doesn’t necessarily have to be 50%, but even making the normal volume at 75% would suffice.

PocoJoe

Banned
So now:

100% default -> some are loud, some are too quiet

50% default -> aaaand how would this fix anything, then some would be just ok and some way too quiet, if levels would drop in same way

there should just be a standard of signal output / % / game, if they use different 50% and 100%, then it is difficult.

but using your tv/amp remote should not be that difficult anyway to make it a big deal.

On the other hand maybe these "games have 100% default volume" is reason into one thing that I have been wondering for few years.

Back then I found out that there are people that use their headphones(and other audio devices) on 100% volume, literally.

And then complaining about distortion.

Pure madness to use any headphones with 100% as it will most likely give hearing damage, yet I have read this many many times after that, people using their headphones with 100% volume.. They must be already half deaf.

Like on reddit, sony wh1000xm3 headphones, +10 people have talked about using them on 100% and complaining about distortion etc.

I have them too and they are fucking loud already at 30-40%, way over 100dB with max volume for sure.

I vote that defaults will be at 0%, and every 15mins they warn users that too high volume causes hearing damage, as many are clearly too stupid to notice it :messenger_grimmacing_

Reactions: GHG
What really needs to happen is a standard dBfs for video game soundtracks and audio to be mastered to. Then the loudness differences would be uniform to the standard and this wouldnt be a problem.

Some things like radio broadcasts and television already have standards for loudness, don't believe video games have it yet though.

HE1NZ

Banned
Depends on dynamic range. Games that are louder just don't have any. They are brickwalled like Doom Eternal soundtrack. I like that some new games offer to choose dynamic range. Call of Duty done it well. All games should these settings.

GHG

Gold Member
No it should be set to 100% and the rest of the variables you set to what you want while tweaking the sound mix to your liking.

93xfan

Banned
What really needs to happen is a standard dBfs for video game soundtracks and audio to be mastered to. Then the loudness differences would be uniform to the standard and this wouldnt be a problem.

Some things like radio broadcasts and television already have standards for loudness, don't believe video games have it yet though.

That would be ideal. Don’t know if it would work well between say Mega Man 2 and Uncharted 4, but having a standard could be nice

I am honestly not sure what the bloody hell it is you're asking for here.

Do you always have your speakers or what have you up as loud as they go and only adjust the volume with the in game audio settings or something?

And if everything was set to 50%, would that mean it's half the volume it should be, or that it can be double the volume it's intended to be? Because either option would royally bugger up audio quality.

Besides which, how would this halp the fact that some games are louder than others? Surely a better solution would be to establish a standardised decibel level all games should set as their audio default? Althoigh how precisely you'd mandate that with the different equipment developers would be using I've no idea.

Either way, this is an incredibly, incredibly stupid idea.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Volume 12 works for me in just about everything I watch/play outside the FUCKING LOUD ADS. I'm using a receiver though.
If playing trials of mana
Is it English only?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fake

ea7.jpg

Butwhy.gif

If only there was some other variable volume option on PCs and TVs that allowed you to adjust the volume ...

Last edited:

JimboJones

Volume 12 works for me in just about everything I watch/play outside the FUCKING LOUD ADS. I'm using a receiver though.

Is it English only?

Nah there's a japanese option there too, apparently better but all sounds like gibberish to me, may aswell be speaking like the sims but a better option if you prefer that.

Gargus

Banned
I don't have a problem with picking up the remote and pushing the volume button a couple times till I'm satisfied. It isn't that hard really

93xfan

Banned
Why not just turn the loud ones down in game? That would achieve exactly what you're after. Seems like you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

In an ideal world, every game would have volume slider and I could just that. Every game having a volume adjustment would also fix the issue. I don’t expect that to happen.

I don't have a problem with picking up the remote and pushing the volume button a couple times till I'm satisfied. It isn't that hard really

Yeah, it’s a simple luxury I was thinking of that some games already do. Just thought it’d be a nice standard.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Master volume = your TV/Monitor/Speakers volume
What are you talking about??

games often also have what’s called a master volume in the options.

and some games already do what im talking about.

Feel free to re-read the OP, as I updated it to make it clearer.

Top Bottom