• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mastermind middle school 'hacker' charged with felony for changing teacher's desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

19g2zgshh3l60gif.gif

A middle school student who said he was just trying to play a prank on a teacher he didn't like was charged with a cybercrime Wednesday after authorities said he hacked into his school's secure computer network.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office has charged Domanik Green, an eighth-grader at Paul R. Smith Middle School, with an offense against a computer system and unauthorized access, a felony. Sheriff Chris Nocco said Thursday that Green logged onto the school's network on March 31 using an administrative-level password without permission. He then changed the background image on a teacher's computer to one showing two men kissing.

One of the computers Green, 14, accessed also had encrypted 2014 FCAT questions stored on it, though the sheriff and Pasco County School District officials said Green did not view or tamper with those files. "Even though some might say this is just a teenage prank, who knows what this teenager might have done," Nocco said.

Green had previously received a three-day suspension for accessing the system inappropriately. Other students also got in trouble at the time, he said. It was a well-known trick, Green said, because the password was easy to remember: a teacher's last name. He said he discovered it by watching the teacher type it in. "So I logged out of that computer and logged into a different one and I logged into a teacher's computer who I didn't like and tried putting inappropriate pictures onto his computer to annoy him," Green said. The school district is in the process of changing the network password, district spokeswoman Linda Cobbe said.

The sheriff said Green's case should be a warning to other students: "If information comes back to us and we get evidence (that other kids have done it), they're going to face the same consequences," Nocco said.

Green was released on Wednesday from Land O'Lakes Detention Center into the custody of his mother. He'll likely be granted pretrial intervention by a judge, sheriff's detective Anthony Bossone said. Green also received a 10-day school suspension. It's unclear if he'll return to Paul R. Smith to complete the school year after the suspension.

Link to full story

I can understand suspending the kid at most for the action. If he had gotten test answers from the PC, then sure suspend the kid or do something more serious... but god damn he had the book thrown at him with the excuse of 'who knows what he could have done!'

Briarios

He'd already received a suspension for breaking into the system -- that was his warning. So, I don't really have an issue with this.

darscot

Anyone stupid enough to use your last name as a password deserves this. A completely harmless prank, should have resulted in the teacher saying,"Ha ha very funny, lets get back to work" People do this all the time at work if you forget to lock you desktop.

No hacking of any kind actually occurred.

andymcc

Banned
when i was a senior in HS, my teacher left her computer unlocked and i opened goatse on it.

glad i wasn't convicted as a cyber-terrorist.

diaspora

Anyone stupid enough to use your last name as a password deserves this. A completely harmless prank, should have resulted in the teacher saying,"Ha ha very funny, lets get back to work" People do this all the time at work if you forget to lock you desktop.

I think accessing the admin account is grounds for a minor suspension, but the teacher should get disciplined for such a shitty password.

When I was an office aide in high school I was assigned to fill in for one of the teachers asst. for a class. I switched the background to a picture of myself and the teacher thought it was funny. I was granted access to the computer but now I'm thinking I'm pretty lucky I didn't get in any trouble for messing with his computer.

The school district is in the process of changing the network password, district spokeswoman Linda Cobbe said.

I just imagine a bunch of overweight coaches currently huddled around the offending machine scratching their heads.

Briarios

He wasn't convicted if anything. The story clearly states he'll most likely some form of probation. But, they're right to do this. He knew exactly what the consequences were -- he'd done it before.

And, yes, whoever set the password is a moron that also deserves discipline.

esms

Used to do something similar to this manually back in high school. We all thought it was the funniest shit in the world.

Glad I didn't get charged with a felony.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He'd already received a suspension for breaking into the system -- that was his warning. So, I don't really have an issue with this.

Well, he went from a three day suspension to a ten day suspension and was charged with a felony. I would say that's overkill for logging into a teacher's computer and changing the wallpaper.

Lamel

Banned
Who hasn't done something like this or known someone who did something like this in school? Seems excessive. This is detention level stuff. "who knows what the teenager could have done" is so weird....he didn't actually do Amy of what you're afraid of, why are you punishing him for that.

Pasco County? Should've known this would be a Florida story. When Florida Man takes a break, the Son of Florida Man strikes in his place.

But, uh...don't they think felony charges are a bit TOO harsh for this case?

This makes me sad that he can do all this in the 8th grade. What a future he would have at somewhere like Google, Amazon or Apple.

Sad that this is going on his record

YoungFa

Teacher/Schools needs to be punished for using a weak ass password. Especially if you store senstive information like centralized tests.

OSHAN

One of the computers Green, 14, accessed also had encrypted 2014 FCAT questions stored on it, though the sheriff and Pasco County School District officials said Green did not view or tamper with those files. "Even though some might say this is just a teenage prank, who knows what this teenager might have done," Nocco said.

I don't get it. We know what he did--he changed the background. I can see if he was caught in the act, before doing anything. We know the outcome here. Why speculate on what he could have done?

I remember a friend of mine changed the home page on some computers in the library to meatspin. Shortly after, those computers got some serious anti tampering software installer on them.

Oh man, everything always seemed so low tech back then. I remember the first flat panel blowing everyone's minds.

Briarios

This makes me sad that he can do all this in the 8th grade. What a future he would have at somewhere like Google, Amazon or Apple.

Sad that this is going on his record

Omg it won't go on his record. He's a juvenile and will be charged as such - if convicted, it will be sealed ... If he agrees to a court program it will be expunged.

I live in Florida and went through the exact same thing as a teen. Not a big deal as long as he's apologetic and does what the judge asks. I think they actually charged me with like 3 felonies. The kid will be fine and less people will mess with the school system computers.

I... what? Kid had the chance to do whatever this guy's thinking about, but didn't. Kid just changed a wallpaper. WTF!?

I mean, I've used the internet a couple of times, and all sorts of illegal, nefarious activities can take place on the internet. It's all RIGHT THERE if you know where to go. Who knows what I might've done?

I'm so glad my professor was chill with this type of stuff.
We would change the backgrounds of the whole lab, change keyboard layouts, mess with the sound settings, etc.
It was all good fun. >.>

Raistlin

"Even though some might say this is just a teenage prank, who knows what this teenager might have done,"

Yeah ... that's not a slippery slope right there. :\

Nice we're inching closer and closer to thought crimes.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with the judge. I mean how mad would you be if you had to see this:

facebook_gay_kiss.jpg

Or this:

6.jpeg

Or these two fuckin studcakes:

sprintkiss.jpg

We live in a society, people.

benjipwns

Banned
"Even though some might say this is just a teenage prank, who knows what this teenager might have done," Nocco said.
This is 100% true, give him the Aaron Swartz treatment until he learns his lesson about what he could have done.

Instead they should've forced him to hack a whole room full of computers until he was so sick of it he would never do it again.

Aselith

"Even though some might say this is just a teenage prank, who knows what this teenager might have done," Nocco said.

The hypothetical crime. These are the people "protecting" us lmao

Actually it did as human engineering is a very common hacking tool

I did this at school once (plus I changed the mouse cursor) and all I got from it was the IT guy asking me to show him how I did it so it wouldn't happen again.

Yeah, this really should be handled via the school internally.

I mean shit, if this is what kids get arrested for now I'd have gotten executed for my antics.

ViciousDS

Banned

I usually just CTRL+ALT+Down Arrow everyone when they walk away at work.........

love the reactions when they don't know how to change it back lol.

We used to hack admin passwords and install games on our computers at school.

We used to go on sites like meatspin, lemon party, happy Sundays etc.

All we ever got was a detention.

Mind you this was in the UK where we have common sense

I remember being obsessed with Liquid Generation in middle school and I had a class project where I met my partner at an elementary school. I remember surfing LG on the principal's desktop and somehow ended up changing the desktop to ladies humping the desktop icons.

Thank goodness it switched back to normal after only 15 or 30 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom