• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: "We are in a unique position to spend Sony out of business"

Venom Snake

What I’ve never understood about their support of this is they have a not-insignificant number of members who proudly describe themselves as pro-labor anti-capitalists.

So why the hell would they be in favor of THIS, a mega merger, one of the biggest kinds of capitalist moves that almost always ends up harming labor down the line?!?

Some people cling to certain ideas just to have the illusion of moral superiority over others.

This, in their understanding, provides them with some identity in an otherwise senseless, tribalistic and anti-social approach to existence.

Doom85

wobpl76.jpg

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Ah yes, who could forget the eternal tale of how Sony employees flooded the SEGA offices, and forced them under threat of violence to mishandle the SEGA Saturn as insanely as they did?

Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

hinch7

That’s the whole point of every acquisition, though. “there’s another company that’s doing some thing that you wish you could be doing and you have lots of money, so just buy them out instead of doing it yourself”.

And as far as money batting and wheeling and dealing for console exclusivity, or time exclusives, Sony drives everyone else off the road with those kinds of deals. So no, I’m not understanding the double standard.

And since we all agree that all of these companies are basically terrible, and they all want to drive the other one out of business, so that they’re the only one left, I’m not see how Microsoft is any worse than Sony is in that regard.

Please tell me how I’m wrong 🤷‍♂️
Ones a trillion dollar company that can easily buy the competition out. Leaving the industry in a worse state as choice goes for consumers.

If they allow more of these mega aquisitions to pass.

Paying third party for exclusivity is way different than buying out huge companies that heavily affect competitors products and thus revenue.

Last edited:

Nydius

Xbox != Microsoft
With this absolutely braindead take, I know I can safely ignore you because you have nothing of substance to offer.

This is like saying “Office != Microsoft” or “Windows != Microsoft” or “Surface != Microsoft”.

They are one and the same company under the same umbrella with the same vast financial power. Whether or not there’s been “talks” about spinning off Xbox is irrelevant. Xbox is integrated into Windows now FFS.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And the context?

It does so in 2019, then it only had 10 Studios. What surprises me is that people are surprised that MS wanted at that time that their first party games were exclusive to their platform at that time 🤣🤣

What must be demonstrated by the FTC is that MS has no intention of making exclusive COD (because in the end it all comes down to COD no matter what) and not launching it on PS5. This on the side of a possible console harm that all the regulators have already taken it upon themselves to deny.

On the cloud gaming side, the FTC must demonstrate that allowing the acquisition will cause real damage to the competition and for that it needs financial data and, among other things, convince the judge that it is a separate market.
No one is surprised at this because people with common sense knew this was the case.

We know what the FTC must prove, and the email they received from Microsoft does in fact help their case.

If it was some small portion of the overall argument, then Microsoft wouldn't be trying so hard to downplay Call of Duty's impact on the market.

Funny how people are getting banned on REEE for being negative at Phil about all of this news :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That xbot mod I forgot his name he's the one banning anyone who criticize M$
I think the reeeeeee mods will decide to remove him
It was a huge mistake to let him be a mod

Last edited:

Nydius

Sony drives everyone else off the road with those kinds of deals. So, I’m not understanding the double standard.
Where, exactly, has Sony driven anyone off the road with these deals? Final Fantasy? Please. Square Enix didn’t need to be moneyhatted when Xbox gamers haven’t been buying SE games on that platform. Every single SE release has sold least on Xbox dating back to FF13, which was the closest at a 2:1 sales split. Crisis Core FF7 Reunion on Switch outsold Xbox copies. SE was one foot out the door with Xbox long ago.

Bungie? Oh no, a 3.6B purchase of a studio with one live game and one game in development, compared to Microsoft who casually dropped $7b to buy Zenimax based on the mere speculation that Starfield might be exclusive.

Sony doesn’t have, and has never had, the kind of money to buy mega acquisitions like Microsoft does.

And I swear to god if I hear one more MS fanboy whine about PS’ COD timed exclusive shit, I’m going to fucking snap because all those fanboys seem to have forgotten that buying up timed exclusive COD DLC was started by Microsoft in the X360 era when they had the slight edge over the PS3. When that edge was lost with the PS4, Activision went where the money was highest.

But when Microsoft starts a shitty industry practice, that’s okay; When Sony plays by the same rules Microsoft made up SONY BAD!

With this absolutely braindead take, I know I can safely ignore you because you have nothing of substance to offer.

This is like saying “Office != Microsoft” or “Windows != Microsoft” or “Surface != Microsoft”.

They are one and the same company under the same umbrella with the same vast financial power. Whether or not there’s been “talks” about spinning off Xbox is irrelevant. Xbox is integrated into Windows now FFS.

So you're saying the only way for Xbox to end is for Microsoft to go bankrupt? That's certainly a braindead take. Also Xbox has become more ingrained into Microsoft now sure, but what about from like 2013-2017 when the brand was in freefall? Glad to know you're ignoring me though so I don't have to listen to any more of your braindead takes

Stare-Bear

Banned
The Xbox team is not sending their best lmao

These guys, like Greenberg too, are clowns and I don't know how they kept their jobs for so long, Phil should've cleaned house long ago.
Dealing with the MS 365 teams in work, that place is run by morons.

They could triple their profits if they hired competent leaders and gave a shit about money being wasted. But because they have been shitting money since early 90s, MS just don’t care.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In games, Google is 3 to 4 years away from being able to have a studio up and running. Amazon has shown no ability to execute on game content.

The worst thing in the email is Booty's over-estimation of Google's gaming capabilities.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So in 2013, or a couple years ago when Sony went on the 3rd party exclusive rampage (including an attempt at Starfield exclusivity) you don't think any of the execs were talking about "ending the Xbox gaming division" in a similar vein to this? Because if you don't then you are very gullible or very biased (or both)

Z33HOO8.gif

Marvel14

Banned

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What a dumbass thing to say in an official email lol

Probably won't be considered relevant though as don't think Matt Booty has any control over acquisitions and the statement also doesn't appear to even be about them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know why he did tho? Cause they're just like MS, they have a ton of money, ironic lol

TBH his point about Amazon is kinda correct tho. They've only put out one game people might know about.

What a dumbass thing to say in an official email lol

Probably won't be considered relevant though as don't think Matt Booty has any control over acquisitions and the statement also doesn't appear to even be about them.

This is the email they already covered on day 1 of the trial, the one he said was the "old strategy".

The email leaking to public isn't gonna do anything on that front.

Last edited:
Prove I have an alt and I will give you what you really want. You are obviously obsessed with me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again :
You and 2-3 others in here (Ozriel included) are most definitely shills and/or astroturfing, that, or you're obsessed with multi-billion companies to the point of stanning for them continuously acting as a defence force.

Frankly, I don't know what's worse.

Unfortunately, people like you are the cancer of online forums and it's a shame.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Yup

All those Microsoft fans aghast at the scrutiny the merger was getting really were oblivious to Microsoft's intent which is a network monopoly in game streaming...

Hint: monopolies are generally bad for consumers unless they face a consistent and credible threat of competition.
Oblivious? Hah. Most of them will dance on the grave of sony and ninty if ms ever gets its way and then proceed to rationalize themselves into sticking with their plastic box even as the quality of gaming takes a nosedive due to the monopoly, slowly dying inside.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The FTC doesn't care if Sony lives, dies, or grows mushrooms in its ass. The chair either wants to make a name for herself by stopping a big deal, or use the loss to push for reforms.
Then why are they walking into court holding a PlayStation and then badgering Phil to make commitments for PlayStation. Something is fishy as hell.

I start to wish that Microsoft quickly completes the acquisition of Activision/Blizzard, just so they can mismanage it like 90% of the studios they own, and then people can start justifying the next purchase "so they can be competitive against Sony."

Darsxx82

No one is surprised at this because people with common sense knew this was the case.

We know what the FTC must prove, and the email they received from Microsoft does in fact help their case.

??? The FTC has already questioned Matt Booty. And the FTC lawyer didn't even go into the implications of that email.😂

Some of you here are believing that this is new evidence that suddenly appeared and that it changes the course of the trial in favor of the FTC when, for better or worse, it has already been used by the lawyers of the FTC.
If it was some small portion of the overall argument, then Microsoft wouldn't be trying so hard to downplay Call of Duty's impact on the market.

It's not MS, the one that has to prove... it's the FTC.

Ftc has to prove and convince the judge that MS is going to make COD exclusive..... What you have for now, through the judge's mediation, is an affidavit from P. Spencer that COD will be released on PS5 and forthcoming PS6.

Top Bottom