• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt "Megatoad" Stonie won Nathan's Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest (62)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Bow to our new Hot Dog Overlord.

NEW YORK -- Matt "Megatoad" Stonie shocked the competitive eating world Saturday by upsetting Joey "Jaws'' Chestnut at the Fourth of July hot dog eating contest at Nathan's Famous in Coney Island, ending Chestnut's bid for a ninth straight victory.

Stonie, 23, who finished second last year, downed 62 hot dogs and buns, beating Chestnut by two. Both are from San Jose, California.

Link

Video

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
it's absolutely disgusting to watch. god damn.

Risible

Why are all competitive eaters so skinny?!

Used to be all fat dudes until Kobayashi came on the scene, a super skinny Japanese guy. Prior to him the record was like 25 and in his first contest he ate something like 50, absolutely destroying the fat dudes.

Turns out your stomach needs room to expand in order to eat inordinate amounts of food. Guess what us fat guys don't have? Room in our innards for our stomachs to expand like that.

It's really interesting.

Risible

Can they put like, ketchup or any condiments on them hotdogs, or does it have to be plain?

They could but they don't, it would slow them down and take up precious stomach space.

They just dip the whole dog into a glass of water to make it easier to go down and shove it down their gullets.

Shit's super gross.

kyongwon

Banned
Used to be all fat dudes until Kobayashi came on the scene, a super skinny Japanese guy. Prior to him the record was like 25 and in his first contest he ate something like 50, absolutely destroying the fat dudes.

Turns out your stomach needs room to expand in order to eat inordinate amounts of food. Guess what us fat guys don't have? Room in our innards for our stomachs to expand like that.

It's really interesting.

Kobayashi at one point was super ripped as well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The commenters take their job super serious.

"Chestnuts stomach is a thing of beauty."

Lol.

Arthrus

Wasn't Joey Chestnut notorious for being a poor sport/rude to other competitors? If so, glad to see him dethroned.

For real. These guys, like esports peeps, aren't athletes.

They are certainly more athletic then esports people. To my knowledge they don't puke out the food afterwards so they have to exercise a lot in order not to get fat. Guys like Furious Pete or Randy Santell are in pretty good shape considering the crap they eat in large amounts every day.

jguXX0A.jpg

AJJ88W8.jpg

They kind of have to.
Your body can't naturally produce enough saliva to handle the amount of hotdog bun they're cramming.

Okay, now I'm just grossing myself out thinking about what's going on.

Well I would need ketchup. If I could put ketchup on shit, I'd probably be ok, but fucking watery hot dogs is some gross shit.

injurai

Banned
"Athletes"

And people don't take esports seriously.

First thing I thought of. ESPN air this and no one bats an eye, but videogames? Uproar.

For real. These guys, like esports peeps, aren't athletes.

You guys are so petty. Being on ESPN does not imply you are an athlete, it's not a prerequisite. It's a broadcasting network for competition and sport. It's shown because it's a fun thing to give attention one day out of the year.

Skii

"Athletes"

And people don't take esports seriously.

It's far more athletic than esports. Look how slim Matt is. He'd easily have to be going gym for at least 2 hours every day to prevent himself from succumbing to the amount of food he eats.

Hip Hop

hes a big youtuber, seems like a regular dude

here's him eating 3 large pizzas, breadsticks, wings in like 6 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMrFyNUHoaI

i remember discovering him randomly and thought what he could eat was insane, and now he is world champion, nice.

I remember I discovered him before he hit a few hundred.

He switched to a new channel at one point. Thought the switch would kill his channel as the one he wanted to get rid of was growing.

Nope!

entremet

I read that being fat for competitive eating is actually worse for you.

The visceral fat tends to hug your stomach instead of letting it expand.

Looks at the Black Widow. She's tiny.

highrider

Banned
Competitive eating is stupid, and when you think about it, pretty fucking reprehensible. On the grand scale of human shittiness there are certainly much worse things, but this is always been disturbing to me that it exists.

RP912

Banned
I watch the contest yesterday, I'm proud of dude. He been trying to beat Chestnut for a while and everytime he comes close, he's off by a few hot dogs. Good to see him finally winning the big one.

Mimosa97

Stonie is the perfect example of what a TOFI is. Thin on the outside and fat on the inside. With the amount of fat and sugar he's consuming, his blood tests must look scary.

Zaptruder

Banned
Stonie is the perfect example of what a TOFI is. Thin on the outside and fat on the inside. With the amount of fat and sugar he's consuming, his blood tests must look scary.

Dude's studying as a dietician.

It would follow that he understands how to balance his excessive competition eating against an otherwise relatively balanced nutritional intake.

Also, elite competition eaters need to be fit and trained. Fat inside or outside kinda stops them stomach from expanding in the way they need it to when eating that much food.

Lunzio

It's a crazy feat, but a part of me always wonders how healthy they truly could be if they didn't cram thousands of calories into their bodies in a matter of minutes. They have to have some intense regimen to keep the weight down after all of that training. They could seriously use that conditioning to be in incredible health.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's a crazy feat, but a part of me always wonders how healthy they truly could be if they didn't cram thousands of calories into their bodies in a matter of minutes. They have to have some intense regimen to keep the weight down after all of that training. They could seriously use that conditioning to be in incredible health.

Well... apparently there's a limit to how many calories your body can digest in any given time period.

Something like 10-15k limit a day. Literally, the food will simply move past the intestinal tract through peristalsis at a rate greater than the villi will absorb the nutritional content.

Yes, that means if they eat a lot, they'll shit out chewed food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom