• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nathan's 2016 Hot Dog Eating Contest |OT| Making America Great for 100 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Nathan's Famous 100th Hot Dog Eating Contest

t1467648000z1.png

uv0xqbh.png

WatchESPN / ESPN3 @ 12:00 PM EST

10:00 AM - Live in Coney Island
10:45 AM - Introduction of Female Contestants
11:00 AM - Women's Contest
12:00 PM - Main Event
12:30 PM - Introduction of Male Contestants
12:40 PM - Men's Contest Begins
12:55 PM - Trophy Presentation

fYYidaR.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is this livestreamed? Please say it's livestreamed.

Time to finally experience what the USA is all about.

This isn't even on ESPN or ESPN2? What the fuck?

Oh they're airing two channels of Wimbeldon. On the day the US was made independent from the Brits. The irony.

painey

gunna miss this for the first time in 5 years.. good thing they moved it to the internet channel so i'm not too sad about missing it.. go Stonie!

Kobayashi was its biggest rockstar. Shit has been downhill since Joey Chestnutt.

I genuinely don't understand this perspective. Kobayashi was a pioneer and did amazing things, but then Chestnutt came along and did it better and Kobayashi found a way to dodge his first genuine competition. And somehow Kobayashi is the hero.

If I didn't know any better, this would seem like it boils down to, "I think Japan is cool and America sucks."

Pulling for Stonie, though. Love to see a 130-lb guy eat like half his weight in hot dogs.

I genuinely don't understand this perspective. Kobayashi was a pioneer and did amazing things, but then Chestnutt came along and did it better and Kobayashi found a way to dodge his first genuine competition. And somehow Kobayashi is the hero.

If I didn't know any better, this would seem like it boils down to, "I think Japan is cool and America sucks."

Well actually what made the Kobayashi years fun was his battles with Chestnutt. The Japan vs. USA aspect was thrilling and brought a global appeal to it. But yeah, we can dismiss it as weeaboo shit, right?

Well actually what made the Kobayashi years fun was his battles with Chestnutt. The Japan vs. USA aspect was thrilling and brought a global appeal to it. But yeah, we can dismiss it as weeaboo shit, right?

There can only be a few things more ridiculous than arguing about a hot dog eating contest (actually, I can't think of any at the moment), but I suppose I can't help pointing out the logical when people are blindly oblivious to it:

Yes, the Kobayashi and Chestnutt competition would have been compelling, but by all accounts it looks like we don't have it because Kobayashi found a way to dodge the challenge for years (at the very least, Chestnutt consistently showed up).

So how is Kobayashi the good guy and Chestnutt the bad guy?

I suppose I could fix your statement for you:

"Kobayashi was its biggest rockstar. Shit has been downhill since Joey Chestnutt whooped his ass and Kobayashi ran off with his tail between his legs. Also, I relish the competition, which is why I'm glamorizing the guy who ran away from it."

There can only be a few things more ridiculous than arguing about a hot dog eating contest (actually, I can't think of any at the moment), but I suppose I can't help pointing out the logical when people are blindly oblivious to it:

Yes, the Kobayashi and Chestnutt competition would have been compelling, but by all accounts it looks like we don't have it because Kobayashi found a way to dodge the challenge for years (at the very least, Chestnutt consistently showed up).

So how is Kobayashi the good guy and Chestnutt the bad guy?

Nobody really said Chestnutt is the bad guy. He's just kinda boring. But yeah, I think I'lll enjoy a hot dog.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Kobayashi couldn't hang with the big boys. Not like he couldn't compete if he wanted to.

Sure, if he wanted to take a massive pay cut by being forced to sign an exclusive deal with the people that run Nathan's. Kobayashi haters conveniently leave that part out.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
That's my point. He didn't want to compete.

There's no proof of that, so no. In fact, he tried pretty hard to get them to waive that requirement so he could compete, but they wouldn't budge.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES

ClFdnXih.jpg

You guys grilling out?

Seriously though fuck this being on ESPN3, this is an un-American travesty, I say we have the network investigated and exposed for the Commie Union Jackoffs that they are, and restore this great American sporting event to its rightful place of honor in our Independence Day television lineup.

Haruko

In this situation you can't.

Kobi - I wanna compete.
MLE - Okay. Sign this.
Kobi - No. I don't want to.
MLE - Alright then!

lol, this is a pretty gross oversimplification of what the MLE contract entails.

In any case, we shouldn't be arguing over this, we should be united against this travesty that is this demotion to ESPN3

Sanjuro

lol, this is a pretty gross oversimplification of what the MLE contract entails.

In any case, we shouldn't be arguing over this, we should be united against this travesty that is this demotion to ESPN3

It's their sponsored competition & rules, that's what makes it simple.

But, yeah. ESPN dropped the ball this year. The re-airings are on the flagship.

bjork

Kobayashi tried to get them to do a one-day contract so he could appear for this event, then have control over his appearances the rest of the year, but they denied it. This is after the cheated the poor guy in 2007 and 2008, and he was still willing to show up in the face of very blatant racist/nationalist/corporate favorism. That's a competitor.

FTF

Is she counting Stonie's correct? He's doing two at once but sometimes only counting 1 it seems. Joey too, sometimes two at once, looks like counting 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom