• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxtor Announces Half-Terrabyte Hard Drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxtor has announced that it will begin shipping 500GB ATA/133 and Serial ATA hard drives in the third quarter of this year. The half-terabyte drives will spin at 7,200RPM and be available across Maxtor's QuickView, MaXLine, and DiamonMax lines. 300MB/sec transfer rates will be supported on the Serial ATA models, and since Maxtor's current generation of desktop drives already support Native Command Queuing, it seems likely that the new 500GB drives will as well.

There's no word yet on whether Maxtor's new 500GB drives will have a higher areal density than its latest DiamondMax 10, which sport 100GB platters. Hitachi Global Storage Technologies' 500GB DeskStar 7K500, which was rolled out at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, uses five 100GB platters.
http://www.shareholder.com/maxtor/R...D=165162&reltype=Product&maxtor_section=press
http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/8415

Seagate Technology unveiled its 2005 lineup on Wednesday, which takes drives to the half-terabyte level and introduces a product family that encrypts data. Over the course of the year, Seagate will unveil 12 new products, executives said, incorporating the company's shift to perpendicular recording, a technique of aligning the magnetic grains within the drive to increase its storage density.
That technology will have far-reaching effects, as Seagate transitions its Barracuda desktop and external drives to a top capacity of 500GB and increases its Momentus line of 2.5-inch drives to 160GB. A spokeswoman for Maxtor Corp. also said the company plans 500GB drives, a tactic likely to be followed by the rest of the hyper-competitive drive industry.
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1825845,00.asp
:)

goodcow

These are going to crash, and they're going to crash hard.

Nothing over 200GB seems to be very reliable yet.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
christ... who needs that much space on their HDD? haven't people heard of DVD burners?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Scrow said:
christ... who needs that much space on their HDD? haven't people heard of DVD burners?
tell that to my HD-Tivo. I have half a terabyte in there right now and it is only ~60 hours of TV. fine for normal recording->watching->deleting but if I want to save anything the space runs out quickly. And it is a minimum of two DVD+Rs to archive anything an hour long off of it.

if you think PCs are the only thing that will benefit from drives like this you aren't truly realizing just how many devices use hard disk drives these days.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I think Harddrive technology is going to need to change soon. I think we've reached the physical limits of RPM speed.

GLoK

Maybe they should take some of the money they're dumping into Space R&D and put it into QA. Maxtor drives are utter crap for reliability.

Nos_G

Speaking of Maxtor... My 120gig SATA drive failed a week ago.

Good job Maxtor!!

I'm trying to RMA it atm... they have yet to get back into contact with me.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Whatever happened to those 3-d cubical spacial formations instead of HDs? I always thought that was the real breakthrough, did something go wrong with that technology? I remember hearing about that stuff a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom