• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May EGM review scores

I don't get how Syphon Filter can get a 6 when it's been scoring in the high 8-low 9 range from almost all other pubs.

At least they're consistent with Suikoden (Suikoden II and III only scored .5 higher).

EGM's reviewers are just as, if not more, susceptable to bias than regular forum goers. I notice that the coverage of games tends to equal higher review ratings. When the X360 launched, they mostly gave games high review scores, even some higher than they deserved. This also happened after the PS2 and DC launch (Especially the DC launch. I can count the scores below 7.5 on one hand)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
PSP
Daxter (7.5, 7.5, 7.0)
Me and My Katamari (7.0, 5.5, 7.0)
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed (8.5, 8.5, 9.0)
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (7.0, 7.0, 6.0)
Splinter Cells Essentials (2.0, 7.0, 6.0)

Nintendo DS
Tetris DS (7.5, 7.0, 9.0)
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal (4.0, 5.0, 4.0)
Metroid Prime Hunters (7.5, 8.0, 7.5)

So by EGM standards, Capcom Classics is what a good handheld game suppose to be.

I'm dropping EGM. All i can say is that they are totally become elistest fuckers. Time to move on to a much better video game magazine that not only rates video games on the graphics and gameplay but also FUN FACTOR.

ahmad

Banned
neojubei said:
PSP
Daxter (7.5, 7.5, 7.0)
Me and My Katamari (7.0, 5.5, 7.0)
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed (8.5, 8.5, 9.0)
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (7.0, 7.0, 6.0)

Nintendo DS
Tetris DS (7.5, 7.0, 9.0)
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal (4.0, 5.0, 4.0)
Metroid Prime Hunters (7.5, 8.0, 7.5)

So by EGM standards, Capcom Classics is what a good handheld game suppose to be.

I'm dropping EGM. All i can say is that they are totally become elistest fuckers. Time to move on to a much better video game magazine that not only rates video games on the graphics and gameplay but also FUN FACTOR.

Are you talking about Gamepro?? Because that magazine sucks too.

Tarazet

neojubei said:

PLEASE tell me you didn't just recommend Gamepro over EGM.

neojubei

ARE THERE ANY GOOD VIDEO GAME MAGAZINES LEFT??????????????????

What about Edge? Play? Someone anyone please?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
neojubei said:
I'm dropping EGM. All i can say is that they are totally become elistest fuckers.

I don't think they're elitist. Just confused and retarded.

ahmad

Banned
neojubei said:

Edge: sucks.

Play: meh, but I like the way their page designs.

GI: no

SpiffyG

neojubei said:

I was looking at an issue of Edge at a news stand and it was pretty snazzy. I don't know about their review credibility though.

neojubei

sonarrat said:
PLEASE tell me you didn't just recommend Gamepro over EGM.

I'm tired of the Elistest bullshit. "ooh we are the number one magazine, all people look towards us our fucking scores are the word of god."

Makes me wonder if they even played through the whole game or just checked the message boards to make fans upset with low scores.

in anycase, I am dropping EGM. I can read rumors online. They've finally proved how useless they truely are.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As far as writing quality goes, I think Edge and Play beat out EGM, Gamepro, and GI in spades.

Matix

WTF, is EGM using a damn Random Review Generator for the most of these BS scores... (ugh) ?! Ehhh.. anyway, most of the rumors seemed pretty obvious (some where revealed a bit back). Although another DS-Design before the end of the year (possibily with a Camera), sounds a little to far fetch..

bengraven

I don't really get the GI hate. It's a fantastic magazine (note: being from the Twin Cities, this could be biased). EGM used to be great, but it's just embarassingly bad and had it not been a charity subscription, I would have never subscribed. Edge sucks, but Gamepro is the fucking worst. I bought one Gamepro in the last ten years (for some Silent Hill exclusive, I think) and it was in the garbage by the end of the night.

I do wish I cared about Playstation anymore, because frankly, OPM leads in the "system specific" mag category. It's a beautifully laid out magazine with fairly honest reviews. OXM is pretty nice, but starving for content and PSM is just fucking embarassing.

wipeout364

I dropped EGM awhile ago. Their reviews are horrible, Mark Macdonald and a couple others are ok but the rest just blow. I honestly think Game informer is a much better magazine now, It seems hard to believe but I'd rather read just about any section in that magazine than EGM for the last year or so. So my monthly game mag purchaes are now Game Informer (replaced EGM), PLAY (but not for the reviews), and Edge (the reviews are harsh but the features blow every other mag out of the water IMO).

Tarazet

neojubei said:
I'm tired of the Elistest bullshit. "ooh we are the number one magazine, all people look towards us our fucking scores are the word of god."

Makes me wonder if they even played through the whole game or just checked the message boards to make fans upset with low scores.

in anycase, I am dropping EGM. I can read rumors online. They've finally proved how useless they truely are.

*shrugs.* I've been getting EGM free for years, and I still read it. I no longer base my buying decisions off of it, but I can usually count on them to make a valid point or two that IGN or Gamespot miss. If I just wanted numbers, I could buy a pair of dice.

wipeout364

SpiffyG said:
I was looking at an issue of Edge at a news stand and it was pretty snazzy. I don't know about their review credibility though.

Their reviews are very well written but harsh. Buy the mag though it is pricey here in North America, but it is the best gaming mag in circulation IMO.

Reilly

I love when people complain about review scores for gaming magazines saying they're too low, then turn around and claim money hats when a game is scored too high. EGM can't win it appears.

siege

Banned
I can't argue with the Metroid score. The single player is crap and the online is unplayable most of the time, due to Nintendo being unable to fix all the errors.

Gigglepoo

siege said:
I can't argue with the Metroid score. The single player is crap and the online is unplayable most of the time, due to Nintendo being unable to fix all the errors.

Wait a second. You think that "crap" + "unplayable" = 7.75? Ok....

siege

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Wait a second. You think that "crap" + "unplayable" = 7.75? Ok....

Well, considering the lowest score reviewers usually gives out is a 5...I'd say it's about right. The game is fun online, when it actually works.

Gigglepoo

siege said:
Well, considering the lowest score reviewers usually gives out is a 5...I'd say it's about right. The game is fun online, when it actually works.

EGM gave a 2.0 to Splinter Cell and a 3.5 to Rumble Roses.

Amir0x

Banned
I disagree with their score of Syphon Filter, but uh... I don't know why some people are making these scores into some indictment of EGM. The score spread is because there are three unique individuals giving their opinion. Isn't that a good thing? You read it and make your own decisions. And as for their "elitist" view, it's much better to be ultra critical of games than ultra lenient. That's when the great is truly seperated from the shit.

This reaction is getting pretty baffling at this point.

neojubei

Did the person who gave this game a 2, even turn on the game? Does the game play like Superman 64? Did the game kill the reviewer's parents? Or does the reviewer just plain hate splinter cell?

Gigglepoo

Dr.Hadji said:
So, any new Too Human info? I'm interested in hearing how EGM thinks it will change gaming.

Haven't read it yet. But, because you asked so nicely... check back in a little bit. I'll write the highlights.

neojubei

Amir0x said:
I disagree with their score of Syphon Filter, but uh... I don't know why some people are making these scores into some indictment of EGM. The score spread is because there are three unique individuals giving their opinion. Isn't that a good thing? You read it and make your own decisions. And as for their "elitist" view, it's much better to be ultra critical of games than ultra lenient. That's when the great is truly seperated from the shit.

dude a game went froma 2 to a 7? i know the reviewers are different people, but if i was qualified to review a game for a video game magazine as big as EGM, I would at least play through the whole game and review the rating structure, than just giving it a 2 because i just feel like it.

i wish someone would post the full reviews. I know i am not going to spend money on this issue. I just want to know why and who would give this game a 2 when there are FARRRRR worst games that deserve a 2, but gets much higher on EGM. *trips over cpacom classics*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:

This analogy would make sense if EGM was consistent with their scores, but they are far from it. They just don't know what the hell they are doing.

:lol people blowing their loads over review scores without even seeing the content of the reviews themselves. OHNOE A GAME GOT 1.5 POINTS LESS THAN IT SHOULD HAVE! GOODBYE EGM SUBSCRIPTION!

dude a game went froma 2 to a 7? i know the reviewers are different people, but if i was qualified to review a game for a video game magazine as big as EGM, I would at least play through the whole game and review the rating structure, than just giving it a 2 because i just feel like it.

read any thread around here when a new game is released. Impressions can range from "it sucks" to "its the fucking GOTY!" How do you know they didn't play through the whole game? And gave it a 2 just because they felt like it? Maybe the guy reviewing it just didnt like hte game at all. People harp on IGN for giving high scores away too easily, i dont' know if i absolutely didn't like a game, i'd have no problem giving it a 2 out of 10. Why is that a bad thing? If you like the game, then your opinion meshes better with the other two reviewers, but that is why you are SUPPOSED TO READ THE FUCKING REVIEWS NOT JUST THE SCORE NUMBERS. Honestly, if what the fuck is the point of having reviews in the first place if you just want everybodies opinion to match your own?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Dr.Hadji said:
So, any new Too Human info? I'm interested in hearing how EGM thinks it will change gaming.

Dyack thinks it will change gaming. And he really doesn't qualify that.

The preview fucking sucks, by the way. The screenshots might as well have been character model shots on a white or black background, since they're all uber close-up. I don't believe it when developers say they want to keep the environments a secret until release. I think that maybe it doesn't look that good yet. The few small environmental conceptual art pieces in the feature looked uninspired.

Even though the cover and pre-story blurb talk of EGM getting to play the game, there are no real play impressions. Instead, there are 8 pages of Dyack waxing philosophical, stroking himself for linking everything in the game to Norse mythology, with a few cheap shots at God of War as a climax.

When someone says he hopes that after gamers finish Too Human, they'll seek out volumes of Nietzsche, you've gotta wonder if the game will be as awkward and pseudo intellectual as Dyack himself.

I hope there are smarter people than him working on this project.

Really disappointing.

Duderz

Banned
Goreomedy said:
When someone says he hopes that after gamers finish Too Human, they'll seek out volumes of Nietzsche, you've gotta wonder if the game will be as awkward and pseudo intellectual as Dyack himself.

:lol Are you serious? He actually says that?

Dr.Hadji

Hey thanks for the impressions of the impressions Goreomedy. That said, I really can't wait till E3 (or whenever put up or shut up time is ) so I don't have to try and figure out how these huge claims of gaming greatness will translate into an actual game based of the wishful musing of the developers anymore.

I'm hoping for the best but I know I probably won't be getting it.

Gigglepoo

Too Human

- Planned as a sequel (Just like Shenmue and BG&E!)
- In development for a decade (Take that Rare!)
- Creator (Dyack) says it just might change the world
- Complex mythologt of Gods, Monsters, and Men
- The story "makes statements about technology" it's role in society, etc.
- "When you're playing this game your constantly being told you're too human, that you need to cybernetically upgrade yourself to combat the growing machine forces"
- Went to MS because Nintendo wants to make smaller, simpler games and MS understands big buget extravaganzas.
- Working with Shigs changed their ideas of gameplay, working with Kojima altered their ideas of spectacle and drama
- 25 hours is pushing the limits of how long a game should be... ergo, a trilogy
- You play as a human who weilds traditional weapons and guns against mechanical foes
- Puzzles and platforming is taking a backseat to pure combat
- Shigs control design: easy to pick up, difficult to master
- "From my standpoint, the big failure with God of War was that I found the one combo that worked and just did it over and over," explains Sterchi. "In Too Human, you have to constantly be thinking about your enemies in order to succede"
- Tons of huge bosses (in the same style as Zelda and Metroid)
- Controls!
- Triggers fire guns (left and right)
- Left stick moves
- Right stick attacks
- A jumps
- Right stick and left stick combine to make more varied moves
- No Camera Controls
-"The camera is equivelant to what you see during a Super Bowl broadcast"
- RPG elements that are under wraps for now
- "We approach game story from a Shakespearean model: he'd write cerebral metaphor for the people in the balconies while also including dirty jokes"
- Three levels of plot
- War between man and machine
-A backbone of Norse mythology
-Metaphysical channeling of Nietzsche
- "Imagine if the story in Too Human is really the source of Norse mythology"

So, there you go. After reading that, I have to admit that I am really pumped for Too Human now.

Goreomedy said:
Dyack thinks it will change gaming. And he really doesn't qualify that.

Does he still try to describe his games by telling you to imagine certain mechanics from other games all put into 1 game? That's how he did with ED.

Ok....

Somebody restore my faith here.

I was going to trade in an assload of old games tomorrow (and I'm afraid I'm going to regret it) to get Daxter and Syphon Filter. Please tell me that these games are indeed sex without a jimmy hat. I don't want to get home and go "AHHH WTF 7.5 BULLSHIT!" and throw my PSP at my cat.

Please...if not for me....for my cat.

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
This analogy would make sense if EGM was consistent with their scores, but they are far from it. They just don't know what the hell they are doing.

What analogy? There's no analogy in my post.

Also, what equals "consistent"? Across different titles, there is no such thing as consistency among independent reviewers. Some like some games, some like others. Some like a particular title in a genre, and hate the rest. Who truly has consistent opinions? I certainly don't. I'm not working for EGM either, of course, but I also don't think consistency is a prerequisite.

Great Poster: imo, Syphon Filter is GREAT. In EGM review score terms, it's a 8.5, 8.0, 8.0

Great Poster said:
Ok....

Somebody restore my faith here.

I was going to trade in an assload of old games tomorrow (and I'm afraid I'm going to regret it) to get Daxter and Syphon Filter. Please tell me that these games are indeed sex without a jimmy hat. I don't want to get home and go "AHHH WTF 7.5 BULLSHIT!" and throw my PSP at my cat.

Please...if not for me....for my cat.

did i wake up in some alternate reality where 7.5 is the beginning of the number line?

Amir0x said:

What analogy? There's no analogy in my post.

Also, what equals "consistent"? Across different titles, there is no such thing as consistency among independent reviewers. Some like some games, some like others. Some like a particular title in a genre, and hate the rest. Who truly has consistent opinions? I certainly don't. I'm not working for EGM either, of course, but I also don't think consistency is a prerequisite.

Great Poster: imo, Syphon Filter is GREAT. In EGM review score terms, it's a 8.5, 8.0, 8.0

Consistency is when they give games I like good scores and games I hate bad scores.

Top Bottom