• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May U.S. Primaries |OT| Glory to America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said he can or will win?

The very fact that increasingly large numbers of (young) people want to win does well for the future of the democratic party and American liberalism.

Also thanks for comparing me to an evangelist though. I'm devastated. Really, I am.

Except Sanders has done, and continues to do nothing for the Dems. No down ticket support, shit not even naming names to support. Also is attacking the DNC every stump speech. He is in it for himself alone.

I don't understand how having democrats alone decide who should lead the democratic party is bad for democracy? Why should republicans and independents be allowed to decide this?

Here's a solid principle most people can easily get behind.

Any rules/laws that decrease voter turnout are bad laws/rules. We want more people voting, not less.

Closed primaries (and voting that requires registration of any sort to begin with) decreases voter turnout. That isn't a good thing.

Caucuses, by their very nature, make it difficult for more people to vote as they limit participation times to a certain period of time in the day. (There are numerous other issues with them as well that also affect turnout).

Can someone give me a quick summary of today's event? I'm trying to find one online but I get hit by large text walls and I'm on mobile

Valhelm

contribute something
People will eat this up too.

If he's the nominee for whatever awful reason I'm voting for Trump.

You're legitimately a bad human being. Trump is worse than Bernie Sanders by every metric imaginable. He's far less qualified, far more disorganized, far less pragmatic, and also a rabid bigot. Do you have a seething hatred for anybody who isn't rich, male, and white?

Adaren

From reddit:

[–]nachomannacho 29 points an hour ago

Welp I guess it's now up to Hillary to do what 17 other men couldn't?

This is like in the last Lord of the Rings movie where the monster's like "NO MAN CAN KILL ME" when that lady tears off her helmet and is like, "I AM NO MAN" before stabbing it in the face.

Someone please make a gif for this.

Any rules/laws that decrease voter turnout are bad laws/rules. We want more people voting, not less.

Closed primaries (and voting that requires registration of any sort to begin with) decreases voter turnout. That isn't a good thing.

Caucuses, by their very nature, make it difficult for more people to vote as they limit participation times to a certain period of time in the day. (There are numerous other issues with them as well that also affect turnout).

I don't disagree, but the practical reality is that it also stops Conservative-leaning independents from messing with the other side's primary and negating the will honest voters. Vice-versa for Liberal-leaning independents.

It's not a perfect system, but it's well-intentioned and prevents certain problems (while introducing new ones).

I agree about voter turnout when it comes to elections that aren't primaries. Primaries should be decided by the voters who are registered members of said party.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Can someone give me a quick summary of today's event? I'm trying to find one online but I get hit by large text walls and I'm on mobile

DumpsterFire.jpg

Seriously though Cruz got stomped in Indiana and dropped out. Which leaves Trump as the presumptive nominee for the GOP. Kasich is apparently staying in for the food..

Bernie won Indiana by 6% which has invigorated him and his supporters into doing more unicorn math on their path to the nomination.

Not true, he only needs to win California 65-35 as long as he hits all these remaining targets.

zqVz0hO.png

This is why even though he won tonight, it was still a massive loss. He got like what? Somewhere between 2-6 delegates tonight? Well, great, only something close to 290 left to go, with no states left until California that are close to 100 delegates and maybe only one or two that I can see that might be really good for him.

Trump won Indiana by 16 points, Cruz dropped out. Trump is pretty much the Republican nominee now, and it will be official after the next few primaries give him the candidates with no real opposition anymore. Without having to campaign hard anymore he can do yoga and rest and shit.

Bernie won Indiana in a surprise upset victory over Hillary, neogaf liberals are mad that he won't drop out, I guess Clinton needs time to regen her mana crystals or something.

TheFatOne

Trump won Indiana, and his main competitor Cruz aka Zodiac has quit. So Trump is now going to be the republican nominee. Sanders won, but still lost since he will only close the lead by two or three delegates. It's going to be Trump vs Clinton to become the next president of the U.S.

I want as many possible people voting in the Democratic primary who are willing to register as Democrat's. I want a long term relationship, not a one night stand.

You have two choices - either register as an independent and be declared a special snowflake by the media or become a member of the party and actually effect change long term. The Right decided to pick door number two and changed things. The Left picked door number one and have been losing since 1968.

I agree about voter turnout when it comes to elections that aren't primaries. Primaries should be decided by the voters who are registered members of said party.

I disagree. The NY example is obvious, but when you exempt millions of potential voters from the process, I think that's a bad thing, particularly if/since those people want to have their voice heard.

Maxim726X

Kentucky is a closed primary that favours her, southern Indiana went Hillary as well. Be very surprised if he got that one.

Oregon and West Virginia are his though.

It doesn't matter, there is no way he is going to amass enough delegates, and the longer he stays in the race the more the party is going to shun him, so you can forget about superdelegates too.

He's just in it for his 'message' at this point, even if it means Trump gets the WH.

legacyzero

Banned
I didn't know there was a #HillaryOrBust

That isn't true. He has supported 3 or 4 people for the down ticket lol
Yep. And why the hell should Bernie support anything other than progressives that align with his movement.

I'll go even further. Bernie would make waves if he came out soon with Elizabeth Warren as his running mate.

norm9

GOP was never winning the white house again after 8 years of Bush. Wouldn't have mattered who they ran

I thought McCain had a legit chance but he also started going off message like Sanders is doing for the past few moths. And then the Palin thing. And the rest is history.

Plus Hillary wasn't accusing Obama of random villainous shit and went above and beyond in support of him.

lol.

Hillary's camp was responsible for shit like this

Not to mention the Rev. Wright smears, "He's not a muslim, as far as I know", Bill's racist dogwhistling, etc.

Hillary v. Obama was filled with disgusting character attacks. Except they were born out of racism and Islamophobia, rather than perceived corruption and special interest influence.

I disagree. The NY example is obvious, but when you exempt millions of potential voters from the process, I think that's a bad thing, particularly if/since those people want to have their voice heard.

If you want to decide who leads the Democratic party, become a Democrat. Doesn't seem controversial to me at all.

Barzul

Literally just put in my donations for Hilary. Time for me to speak with my money. A Donald Trump presidency is a real real actual possibility. Can't let that happen.

Trump won Indiana, and his main competitor Cruz aka Zodiac has quit. So Trump is now going to be the republican nominee. Sanders won, but still lost since he will only close the lead by two or three delegates. It's going to be Trump vs Clinton to become the next president of the U.S.

DumpsterFire.jpg

Seriously though Cruz got stomped in Indiana and dropped out. Which leaves Trump as the presumptive nominee for the GOP. Kasich is apparently staying in for the food..

Bernie won Indiana by 6% which has invigorated him and his supporters into doing more unicorn math on their path to the nomination.

DumpsterFire.jpg

Thanks so much for the update. Hmm I wonder how the GOP is going to react to Trump now.

Also geez I guess my Hillary prayer circle didn't work.

Koomaster

Don't care about Bernard, don't care about his message, and don't care what his supporters want. Time for him to go. Don't want to hear any more from him the rest of this election season or ever again really.

Whole party should just freeze him out going forward. Don't even speak his name or act like he's still in this race. It's over and it's time to start acting like it. If he doesn't show himself the door then Obama should take the lead and just endorse Hillary right now.

Yep. And why the hell should Bernie support anything other than progressives that align with his movement.

I'll go even further. Bernie would make waves if he came out soon with Elizabeth Warren as his running mate.

#HillaryOrHighTail

Maxim726X

If you're really asking that question, then you don't know how this government works.

Maybe they should've thought about their voice being heard sometime before the week of the election.

Miles X

Because he is running as a democrat and he should help everyone in the party, you know, all those folks that are fighting against nasty republicans?

Pick his VP even though he isn't getting the nom? He would never do anything as tacky and stupid and pointless as that, and Warren wouldn't agree to it either.

TheFatOne

weren't they against other democrats?

They were for Bernie 100%. It's either your 100% in for Bernie or you don't get shit from him, and yet somehow people want me to believe this is a man who will be a good president.

Warren is too smart to get on a sinking ship.

norm9

Don't care about Bernard, don't care about his message, and don't care what his supporters want. Time for him to go. Don't want to hear any more from him the rest of this election season or ever again really.

Whole party should just freeze him out going forward. Don't even speak his name or act like he's still in this race. It's over and it's time to start acting like it. If he doesn't show himself the door then Obama should take the lead and just endorse Hillary right now.

This is the best course of action. The internet won't like it, but oh well.

The vast, vast majority of those wouldn't vote anyways. And honestly, if you lean liberal at all and live in a state with a closed primary, what incentive is there to NOT register as a democrat. If you don't think you'll matter or end up liking any candidate, there's still nothing to lose by registering

Miles X

Ha, this, so much this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks so much for the update. Hmm I wonder how the GOP is going to react to Trump now.

Also geez I guess my Hillary prayer circle didn't work.

reince priebus has already tweeted out that the party should unite behind Trump. It will be interesting to see if it happens.

Tobor

There isn't. There wasn't even really one in '08.

There would be if she were losing, just like in 2008. But she's going to win, so why would there be now?

The real question is how many of these people actually stick to their guns in the end. It was a non-factor in 2008.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The time for Bernie to drop is now, but he obviously can't right after a victory. Next state he loses I hope he uses it as his opportunity to bow away gracefully

The vast, vast majority of those wouldn't vote anyways. And honestly, if you lean liberal at all and live in a state with a closed primary, what incentive is there to NOT register as a democrat. If you don't think you'll matter or end up liking any candidate, there's still nothing to lose by registering

Yup, if you lean liberal at all, and you're in New York State and you're not registered as a Democrat (or at worst, Working Familie's Party), I really don't know what the hell you're doing.

Damaniel

Banned

I doubt Elizabeth Warren is going to come out and endorse Bernie. I think it's far more likely she'll come out and endorse Hillary, and probably sooner rather than later.

Miletius

According to the Times Warren is being vetted by the Clinton campaign, anyways. I don't think she's gonna make the cut due to demographics and all, but I doubt she'd be interested in Bernie's offer.

Slayven

Bernie will be out rain or shine by the end June, and by Mid July he will be remembered just as much as a fart in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom