• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

legitc0jsl.gif

When I see Bo Dallas I think "If he can do it, why can't I?". He truly is an inspiration.

Carnby

I just watched WM Rewind: Hogan V. Macho, and there was a Hogan interview that was flat out bullshit.

Hogan claims that he and Macho were in the middle of a legit argument when they accidentally went live. They show the clip;

Macho: "No more Hulkamania! I'm number one! You can't stop me!" *Back stage brawl ensues.*

Does Hogan really expect us to believe that bullshit?

strobogo

Banned
So while GNR is continuing as the biggest joke they've ever been, playing the same set for about 4 years, with Axl sounding terrible and putting in as little effort as possible, there is one bright spot. Tommy Stinson has started to openly mock DJ Ashba on stage for being one of the worst professional guitarists around. I fully support it, as DJ the real life Bo Dallas of music. He's a complete and utter tool and is a very, very average guitar player who regularly messes up the AFD/UYI GNR stuff, which is ridiculous. That shit shouldn't be hard for any professional musician. But he legit shoot thinks he's a bad ass rock star who looks super cool.

So I'm happy that Tommy is making fun of him on stage now. There was a show where Ron and Axl both stood in awe of what the fuck DJ was trying to play. They just stood there looking at each other, trying not to laugh at how shockingly terrible it was.

Alucard

Banned
Having a new kitten and a little niece makes me realize how much my sister is not being tough enough.
The kitten is scared, tired, possibly hungry and the little girl, being a little girl, does not leave him alone. So I tell my sister and my sister make a deal with my niece:
"Ok, you'll just show the kitten to daddy and then let her sleep, ok, deal?" She fights a bit, but eventually says ok.
So she shows kitten to daddy, bring her back and my sister go "all right, time to let her go to sleep", my niece go "but I don't want to!" and my sister just rolls her eyes and tell me "she doesn't want to" and walks away.

Man, what the fuck, enforce them rules. I'm not asking for punishment or anything, but don't fucking teach the child that she can get out of a deal just by saying that now that she received her end, she doesn't want to do her part. This is the beggining of corporate culture, I tell ya. #BlueCollar

I've stopped judging other parents unless it's extreme stuff like physical abuse. No idea how tired that mom/dad is.

Sblargh

Banned
I've stopped judging other parents unless it's extreme stuff like physical abuse. No idea how tired that mom/dad is.

I do as I live on the same house. You can let your child do whatever she wants with her bath time, food, school, whatever, but if I have to choose between the kitteh and the human, well, the human better know he doesn't stand a chance.

Sblargh

Banned
Catching up on NXT. They're training Renee to be a bad commentator.

Actually, as the show progresses the team tightens up. Renée as the recapper, Riley as the analyst and the dude in the middle doing play by play.
Riley is very competent at his job and Renée is not bad, but she has to learn her timing. Do her thing during rest spots and stuff like that instead of in the middle of some move.

gurudyne

Actually, as the show progresses the team tightens up. Renée as the recapper, Riley as the analyst and the dude in the middle doing play by play.
Riley is very competent at his job and Renée is not bad, but she has to learn her timing. Do her thing during rest spots and stuff like that instead of in the middle of some move.

Whoa now. I haven't been paying too much attention to commentary lately, but it was just six months ago that the man made it impossible to ignore the commentary because he was just so bad at it. Sub-Lawler levels.

Sblargh

Banned
Whoa now. I haven't been paying too much attention to commentary lately, but it was just six months ago that the man made it impossible to ignore the commentary because he was just so bad at it. Sub-Lawler levels.

He got better I guess. He's an unfunny heel now and then, but lately he has been focusing on explaining why stuff hurts and in-ring tactics, which is what I miss most about commentary.

Tyson Kidd keeping up with his gimmick of being the less menacing man alive.

Vylash

He got better I guess. He's an unfunny heel now and then, but lately he has been focusing on explaining why stuff hurts and in-ring tactics, which is what I miss most about commentary.

Tyson Kidd keeping up with his gimmick of being the less menacing man alive.

THAT'S A FACT!

When I see Bo Dallas I think "If he can do it, why can't I?". He truly is an inspiration.

You can't do it because you don't have beautiful, flowing hair.

j/k

You can't do it because your daddy didn't work for the company and probably has embarrassing photographs of Vince.

You can see Bronson's wee little legs behind Kane.

I love how every day on WrassleGAF young Bronson gets tinier and tinier. By the time Summerslam rolls around we're going to need a microscope.

How mainstream is wrestling in Japan? NJPW stuff have amazing production values.

It's certainly less mainstream than it was before, like in the early 90s. But NJPW is rebounding.

But NJPW's production values have very little to do with that. Lots of Japanese promotions have had good production values over the decades, so there is lots of experienced production talent to draw from, especially now that there is one clear dominant player in Japan. The real important thing is that NJPW just happens to have new ownership from a rich company whose chairman is an ambitious money mark.

Sblargh

Banned
It's certainly less mainstream than it was before, like in the early 90s. But NJPW is rebounding.

But NJPW's production values have very little to do with that. Lots of Japanese promotions have had good production values over the decades, so there is lots of experienced production talent to draw from, especially now that there is one clear dominant player in Japan. The real important thing is that NJPW just happens to have new ownership from a rich company whose chairman is an ambitious money mark.

And since this company got them, have things changed/are changing?

Definitely. Their views on expanding internationally, for one - we wouldn't have iPPVs and New Japan stars appearing all over the world if not for the new owners. Also, they've put New Japan back in profit, attendances are up and they've got a lot of kids back into puroresu with the KinPuro card game that's become really popular in Japan.

Bootaaay, I noticed you post in the Writers-GAF thread and think that's rad.

:)

I wish I had more time for writing, but I'm too lazy I guess.

Yeah. Take Wrestle Kingdom Dome shows out of the equation. Go back on YouTube and watch shows like the NJPW Climax from 2011 and some of the "normal" shows and compare them today. Not that they were totally shitty production-wise, but now it's significantly slicker, especially the more ordinary shows. The nice thing about it is the cash and energy injection from the new ownership has been rewarded with fan enthusiasm, which feeds money back into the product, making it look even better.

People forget that when the deal went down for the new ownership, they were able to buy the controlling shares of NJPW for just $6.5 million, which, for perspective, was probably significantly less cash than Dixie lost that year, if Heyman's story about TNA's financials, which was never denied, is accurate.

Sblargh

Banned
Definitely. Their views on expanding internationally, for one - we wouldn't have iPPVs and New Japan stars appearing all over the world if not for the new owners. Also, they've put New Japan back in profit, attendances are up and they've got a lot of kids back into puroresu with the KinPuro card game that's become really popular in Japan.

Yeah. Take Wrestle Kingdom Dome shows out of the equation. Go back on YouTube and watch shows like the NJPW Climax from 2011 and some of the "normal" shows and compare them today. Not that they were totally shitty production-wise, but now it's significantly slicker, especially the more ordinary shows. The nice thing about it is the cash and energy injection from the new ownership has been rewarded with fan enthusiasm, which feeds money back into the product, making it look even better.

People forget that when the deal went down for the new ownership, they were able to buy the controlling shares of NJPW for just $6.5 million, which, for perspective, was probably significantly less cash than Dixie lost that year, if Heyman's story about TNA's financials, which was never denied, is accurate.

That's good to know. I'm finding a lot to like in the Japan product. The under/mid NJPW matches seems leagues away from WWE's under/mid. Just so much better, it is what a midcard should look like: entertaining, slightly goofy at times without going overboard, I really like it. If they are doing any move at all to make it more accessible to people who don't speak japanese, then it's great. Maybe they should hire a small american crew to do a "the story so far..." kind of thing before PPVs.

What I noticed from the little I watched:

- Holy shit, Japan loves lariatos.

- Dudes really know how to kick, dropkick, run and kick on the corner, they're too good at that. It's awesome.

- Their tag matches are anarchy. I guess they can break pins at any time? Anyway, it's pandemonium! I don't enjoy it very much.

- Bullet Club are good heels, i.e., I'm always hoping they lose their matches.

Ithil

Yeah, Renee does the RAW thing of blabbering on about bullshit instead of paying attention to the match. It means while she's saying some nonsense about one of the wrestlers backstage or whatever, they miss a portion of the match and you just wonder why there is commentary at all.
Really annoying. At least the others try to pay attention to the match. It's only great down on NXT commentary wise when Regal is there, though.

How mainstream is wrestling in Japan? NJPW stuff have amazing production values.

It's pretty niche compared to the 1990s and other decades, but it's still very much ingrained in the culture. NJPW is on a very slow and gradual road back to the mainstream, right now.

Top Bottom