• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather on Ronda Rousey on the cover of Ring: "The sport is starting to look bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog-fu

Banned
"Well, you know, congratulations, but you know the sport is starting to look bad when a female fighter from a whole other sport is on the cover of a boxing book," stated retired undefeated former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, who shared his thoughts on UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey being featured on the cover of the latest edition of Ring Magazine.

The move drew harsh criticism from diehard boxing fans and some members of the media, especially considering that Rousey's next opponent is decorated former three-division boxing world champion Holly Holm. In fact, you'd have to go as far back as 1978 to find the first and only time a female boxer, Cathy "Cat" Davis, was featured on the cover of the magazine. According to Mayweather, the fact that Rousey is on the cover is simply proof that things aren't going quite as well as they may seem for Golden Boy Promotions founder Oscar De La Hoya, who acquired the magazine nearly 8 years ago.

"You gotta realize this, we all know Oscar De La Hoya owns the Ring Magazine. That shows you; he has no fighters but Canelo. Basically, it's like he's trying to steal her from Dana White...

More at the source

inb4 the Ronda boxing gifs.

Also, this came to my attention due to the letter Oscar De La Hoya wrote to Mayweather.

Dennis

Banned
LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

This one is new to me. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on that first one that she was just punching like that for a photo shoot or something and got caught in an awkward moment but jesus her form is horrendous. Somebody find Freddie Roach and give him a few weeks with her like he did with Silva.

How has she not broken her wrist in a fight yet?

dabig2

He's right. It's pretty bizarre considering she's MMA and she's not even particularly known for her striking, much less actual boxing technique. Miesha Tate is a better striker.

Like, how hasn't Anne Wolf been on this cover before. Or Laila Ali? It's a shitty, publicity move with zero good optics.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah, featuring an MMA star on the cover of a boxing mag.. bad form from Oscar and co.

Skeyser

I mean, the female comment wasn't necessary, but he's 100% right when he says that an MMA fighter making the cover of a boxing magazine makes the sport look bad.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Does the Ring cover MMA stuff, aside from boxing? If not, I can sorta see Mayweather having a point.

kottila

Ann Wolfe (24–1)
Vonda Ward (23–1)
Leatitia Robinson (15–2)
Natascha Ragosina (22–0)
Layla Ali (24-0)

All actual boxers. No cover.

Cecilia Brækhus (27-0). Current welterweight world champion in WBO, WBA, WBC and IBF. Ranked, by Ring, as the best female boxer in the world.
No cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom