• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather on Ronda Rousey on the cover of Ring: "The sport is starting to look bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury451

Banned
FamiliarGlamorousFulmar.gif

Yikes.

Ann Wolfe (24–1)
Vonda Ward (23–1)
Leatitia Robinson (15–2)
Natascha Ragosina (22–0)
Layla Ali (24-0)

All actual boxers. No cover.

YIKES. How is that possible?

Say what you want about him, but he's right in this context. When she's on the cover, but successful career boxers are not, something is wrong.

PSqueak

Banned
Man, you guys sure love making fun of someone who could easily kick all of your asses.

Is that relevant tho? Plenty of people who can kick my/our ass/asses do stupid things and that doesn't make them immune to mockery, much less when it's a celebrity no one in this forum is ever going to see face to face.

Much more, it's totally fair to mock her shitty shadow boxing, because she still is a top MMA fighter, can't expect her to magically be good at box, and that gif is funny,

FDC1

I think it could happen actually. Boxing can and will pay a lot more for her than the UFC can. She's already said that she doesn't want to be in MMA going into her 30's and she'll be 29 next year. So if she stays undefeated, which she likely will, then she can make the move to boxing once her contract is up. So she can try to squeeze as much money out of a single fight as possible due to the very real possibility that she'll lose, assuming they put her up against solid competition.

WWE and movies are next for Ronda. She couldn't care less about boxing.

gblues

Banned
You know what else makes boxing look bad? Domestic violence. But sure, let's throw shade on Rond--

Holy shit. I've never watched any of Ronda's MMA fights but I'm guessing she's not throwing many punches, because that's a textbook illustration of how not to throw a punch. If those landed, she'd break her wrist at least.

bengraven

It's a magazine. They're all desperate for some exposure.

I'm shocked they're not doing a Star Wars themed issue.

Holy shit. I've never watched any of Ronda's MMA fights but I'm guessing she's not throwing many punches, because that's a textbook illustration of how not to throw a punch. If those landed, she'd break her wrist at least.

UFC168-RondaRousey-XMeishaTate-SloMo-Rd1a-400-sg.gif

She's more about getting them just close enough..

tumblr_m623dcn6j61ry1rm7o1_500.gif

For this.

Haha, are you guys seriously giving Ronda Rousey tips? Maybe you should write to her, im sure she'll be grateful for this life changing advice that her 6 figure earning training professionals failed to give her.
I'm not giving her tips, but I can throw better punches then her and so can any amateur boxer who has boxed for a year. She is terrible at it. At MMA, she's dominant and her grappling is amazing. At boxing, she is fucking terrible.

Edmund is hardly a solid trainer by any means.

...so anyone else like how soft she looks? I'll love to get thrown by her.
Yeah she has gotten a lot softer and heavier in recent fights. You can see it in her training sessions and when she wears dresses.

Her core strength however is ridiculous and she can basically throw anyone in her division to the floor and pummel them.

You know what else makes boxing look bad? Domestic violence. But sure, let's throw shade on Rond--

Ronda brags about beating up her ex boyfriend in her book, plus she's dating a known woman beater, but I guess that's okay because she's a woman.

Ronda brags about beating up her ex boyfriend in her book, plus she's dating a known woman beater, but I guess that's okay because she's a woman.
I don't care at all about her personal life, but I really don't like her attitude. My favourite fighters are usually the more humble ones that let their fists do the talking.

I think she needs a loss to learn some humility and this would actually make her get a new camp and improve her striking skills.

Mayweather on Ronda Rousey on the cover of Ring: "The sport is starting to look bad"

Yes. What the sport needs is a nice, long series of mismatches and 12-round snoozefests featuring fighters who "mystify" their opponents by refusing to engage with them.

Rant aside: I agree that RR being on the cover of Ring is silly sauce.

Yes. What the sport needs is a nice, long series of mismatches and 12-round snoozefests featuring fighters who "mystify" their opponents by refusing to engage with them.

Rant aside: I agree that RR being on the cover of Ring is silly sauce.

On the plus side, mayweather would be the king of flag football.

Ronda is bragging in detail about beating up her ex

I don't care at all about her personal life, but I really don't like her attitude. My favourite fighters are usually the more humble ones that let their fists do the talking.

I think she needs a loss to learn some humility and this would actually make her get a new camp and improve her striking skills.
Well, I tell ya, I think she has a good chance of losing this fight. If Holly can keep it standing, and last some rounds, things could get very interesting.

number47

Yeah she has gotten a lot softer and heavier in recent fights. You can see it in her training sessions and when she wears dresses.

Her core strength however is ridiculous and she can basically throw anyone in her division to the floor and pummel them.
All this erotica....

Macam

Banned

The last fight aside, she doesn't throw a lot of punches, at least not of the traditional boxing variety; mostly knees, throws, and grappling.

She's been trying to up her striking/boxing -- and she's clearly starting from a low base -- but she's not going to transform her boxing game overnight or take boxing by storm anytime soon. And a lot of this talk is just talk, which is some mixture of ego, marketing, and hype, which shouldn't be new to anyone who follows sports, let alone boxing or MMA, whatsoever.

Ronda is such a piece of shit man-beater. I don't know how anyone can support her. Prob won't see any of those posts in the next UFC thread thought :(

She's also a sandy hook truther and believes in "chem trails". She doesn't at all come across as a particularly well adjusted or sane person.

Yeah, I'm a much bigger MMA fan than I am a boxing fan - I do love both sports though.

Ronda unfortunately gives a lot of credence to the idea that MMA fighters suck at striking. This is because she fights in the shallowest division in all of MMA - possibly all of combat sports and her grappling is head and shoulders above everyone in her division so she can get away with terrible striking.

MMA striking is a different beast from boxing and Muay Thai though, it should be judged on its own merits since when you fight MMA, you have to take into account kicks, elbows and takedowns. That's why MMA fighters often do things "wrong" from a boxing or Muay Thai perspective.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Haha, are you guys seriously giving Ronda Rousey tips? Maybe you should write to her, im sure she'll be grateful for this life changing advice that her 6 figure earning training professionals failed to give her.

The striking form in those GIFs is objectively bad and this is not a matter of opinion. If you can't recognize that you only reveal your own lack of knowledge. She is obviously a skilled fighter and not somebody I would like to fight. But her punching form is horrible, easily surpassed by even an amateur fighter, as demonstrated by those GIFs and what I've seen in some of her fights.

harSon

Banned
Mayweather's going to come in with the followup KO

Dude's a supreme shit talker, can't wait to see what he says LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom