• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather on Ronda Rousey on the cover of Ring: "The sport is starting to look bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

31ac12.gif

1ccc4c.gif

Cool, you guys with the gifs should start posting the ones where she ktfo other women with those hands. Doesn't go in line with your agenda? Oh ok.

Malvolio

Cool, you guys with the gifs should start posting the ones where she ktfo other women with those hands. Doesn't go in line with your agenda? Oh ok.

I'm a Ronda fan, but really this is a bad argument. She's KO'd two people with her hands. Let's face it, she has wicked judo and really good submissions, she is out of place on a boxing magazine.

One beats down all comers, and one uses the rules to force a decision over carefully selected opponents.

Rousey should not be on the cover, but I'd rather have her in my corner than mayweather.

She has shit boxing technique and the worst striking coach in all of MMA.

Brock could knock people out and he couldn't strike either. Brute strength can often do that.

Look closely at those gifs. If you can't see a problem then you probably don't watch a lot of combat sports.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The Ring was obviously behind 9/11. Rhonda is just trying to get to the truth through the guise of celebrity.

#FollowTheMoney

This one is new to me. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on that first one that she was just punching like that for a photo shoot or something and got caught in an awkward moment but jesus her form is horrendous. Somebody find Freddie Roach and give him a few weeks with her like he did with Silva.

How has she not broken her wrist in a fight yet?
Either her writst are made of steel or i really can't understand how she could punch that way..
I mean, i'm no boxing expert, but that fist looks just wrong.....

ApharmdX

Banned
what the fuck is she doing?

Okay.. well, i'm allll for equality but isn't she a freefighter? And not a boxer?
Or did she change lanes?

edit: oh wait.. she might get into boxing..
Well, Not happening Ronda. There are pretty good female boxers and by the looks of it, you're not one of them.

In fairness, she is a really amazing grappler. Bronze in the Olympics in judo is nothing to scoff at, and she's the best grappler in all of women's MMA (and I'd bet she'd submit a lot of competitive BJJ black belts as well).

In fairness, she is a really amazing grappler. Bronze in the Olympics in judo is nothing to scoff at, and she's the best grappler in all of women's MMA (and I'd bet she'd submit a lot of competitive BJJ black belts as well).

yeah i know. She's great in the MMA ring.
But we're talking boxing here. It's a completely different sport.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Haha, are you guys seriously giving Ronda Rousey tips? Maybe you should write to her, im sure she'll be grateful for this life changing advice that her 6 figure earning training professionals failed to give her.

Either her writst are made of steel or i really can't understand how she could punch that way..
I mean, i'm no boxing expert, but that fist looks just wrong.....

It's girl punching.

All arms, no extension, flinging wrists. Fine Ronda's not a boxer, but you figure somebody would have trained that technique out of her.

studyguy

"You gotta realize this, we all know Oscar De La Hoya owns the Ring Magazine. That shows you; he has no fighters but Canelo. Basically, it's like he's trying to steal her from Dana White...

After what happened vs GGG with De la Hoya and Bhop training Lemieux, he's not fucking wrong. Canelo is all Golden Boy has now that's bankable. Moreover Haymond with PBC has been fucking up the game for Golden Boy something awful.

Still, De la Hoya comes off as super salty when it comes to Mayweather anyway. As shitty of a person Mayweather is, he's ended up entirely more successful than De la Hoya as far as marketing fights goes. When it comes to training and pushing talent, not sure how Money Team (Mayweather Promotions) will do now that Mayweather might focus on finding talent.

De La Hoya on Mayweather's retirement in Playboy's goodbye letter though is some funny shit. Salt is real af even if the points he makes are true. It's hilarious.

De la Hoya on Playboy said:
You did it. You made it to the 49–0 mark, a milestone that you like to say only the great Rocky -Marciano reached but that was actually achieved by others, including my idol Julio César Chávez—but who’s counting? And now you’re retiring. Again. (The first time was after our fight in 2007.) This time you say it’s for real. You’re serious about hanging up the gloves. On to bigger and better things. So I’m writing to you today to wish you a fond farewell. Truth be told, I’m not unhappy to see you retire. Neither are a lot of boxing fans. Scratch that. MOST boxing fans. Why? Because the fight game will be a better one without you in it.

Let’s face it: You were boring. Just take a look at your most recent performance, your last hurrah in the ring, a 12-round decision against Andre Berto. How to describe it? A bust? A disaster? A snooze fest? An affair so one-sided that on one judge’s card Berto didn’t win a single round? Everyone in boxing knew Berto didn’t have a chance. I think more people watched Family Guy reruns that night than tuned in to that pay-per-view bout. But I didn’t mind shelling out $75 for the HD broadcast. In fact it’s been a great investment. When my kids have trouble falling asleep, I don’t have to read to them anymore. I just play them your Berto fight. They don’t make it past round three.

"Is boxing next?!"

"No"

"Thank you for the interview"

I think it could happen actually. Boxing can and will pay a lot more for her than the UFC can. She's already said that she doesn't want to be in MMA going into her 30's and she'll be 29 next year. So if she stays undefeated, which she likely will, then she can make the move to boxing once her contract is up. So she can try to squeeze as much money out of a single fight as possible due to the very real possibility that she'll lose, assuming they put her up against solid competition.

I think it could happen actually. Boxing can and will pay a lot more for her than the UFC can. She's already said that she doesn't want to be in MMA going into her 30's and she'll be 29 next year. So if she stays undefeated, which she likely will, then she can make the move to boxing once her contract is up. So she can try to squeeze as much money out of a single fight as possible due to the very real possibility that she'll lose, assuming they put her up against solid competition.

Most of the popularity she has is the simple fact of making people submit in seconds. I just don't see her doing or bringing anything to boxing that will be on that level. Maybe her stardom will follow for a few fights, but unless she's looking amazing against comp and KO'ing them in the first round I don't see it happening.

Most of the popularity she has is the simple fact of making people submit in seconds. I just don't see her doing or bringing anything to boxing that will be on that level. Maybe her stardom will follow for a few fights, but unless she's looking amazing against comp and KO'ing them in the first round I don't see it happening.

That's why I think that she'll try to get as much money as possible out of a single fight. Just her crossing over to boxing would be a huge deal. I mean, boxing is still significantly bigger than MMA when you put someone really popular in the ring. Rousey as a boxer would draw a bigger audience than Rousey in MMA. Basically it'd be retirement money because Hollywood is also knocking on her door like they did with Gina Carano. She's now completely out of MMA and starring in big movies (like Deadpool).

Garlador

When he's right, he's right.

So many great female boxers out there with amazing records, both then and now.

And yet Rousey gets a cover.

That's like putting Brett Favre on the cover of SLAM magazine.

Tom_Cody

The dynamics of the business side of boxing are totally different. She would need to get 10-15 fights under her belt in order to be considered in any way credible in the sport. And there is no way she is going to be knocking people out once she has 8oz boxing gloves on.

Skeyser

One beats down all comers, and one uses the rules to force a decision over carefully selected opponents.

Rousey should not be on the cover, but I'd rather have her in my corner than mayweather.

Even the shittiest opponents may faced were more experienced than those of Ronda. Make Mayweather fight guys who picked up boxing 3 years ago and he'll drop them in 5 seconds too.

That's why I think that she'll try to get as much money as possible out of a single fight. Just her crossing over to boxing would be a huge deal. I mean, boxing is still significantly bigger than MMA when you put someone really popular in the ring. Rousey as a boxer would draw a bigger audience than Rousey in MMA. Basically it'd be retirement money because Hollywood is also knocking on her door like they did with Gina Carano. She's now completely out of MMA and starring in big movies (like Deadpool).

This is all predicated on the idea that she won't be knocked out that first fight. A true boxer ragdolls her in the first and all of her MMA mystique evaporates. Not to mention the Boxing > MMA argument will go into overdrive.

I can see that happening. One fight, against a journey-woman. Get that W, see how much money was made and start to sell it that way. Then bounce and go do movies and retire rich as fuck with your brains still intacted.

Haha, are you guys seriously giving Ronda Rousey tips? Maybe you should write to her, im sure she'll be grateful for this life changing advice that her 6 figure earning training professionals failed to give her.
Come on now. If any boxer had the punching form she has in those gifs they'd be all kinds of fucked in the ring.

UFC has always looked bad. It's just people bashing each others' faces in and wrestling on a mat.

It couldn't interest me less, or look any less appealing.

The dynamics of the business side of boxing are totally different. She would need to get 10-15 fights under her belt in order to be considered in any way credible in the sport. And there is no way she is going to be knocking people out once she has 8oz boxing gloves on.

This is just my own speculation, but I just feel that they'd push hard with this being the world's biggest MMA fighter crossing over into boxing. Her credibility within boxing wouldn't really be relevant. As the appeal would simply be in whether she pull it off.

This is all predicated on the idea that she won't be knocked out that first fight. A true boxer ragdolls her in the first and all of her MMA mystique evaporates. Not to mention the Boxing > MMA argument will go into overdrive.

My feeling is that she would lose against respectable competition unless her boxing improves dramatically between now and the time of the fight,which is certainly possible since that's at least two years away at a minimum. But losing wouldn't matter if the purse was sizable on top of getting a good percentage of the PPV revenue. Any MMA fighter has to be looking at what Mayweather was getting and salivating. Obviously he's the very, very high end of what's possible in the sport. But MMA fighters, at least from the numbers we see from time to time, paydays are pretty slim compared to even mid-tier boxers. So she'd certainly get her highest payday by a good margin with just a single fight if the promotions went like i'd expect. As you brought up, this would be easily marketed as a Boxing vs. MMA card. Boxing purists cheering for whoever her opponent is while MMA fans pulling for Rousey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom