• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's skips national McRib rollout, only available at participating restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102087606

McDonald's McRib fans may have to hunt harder than usual for the popular sandwich this year.

It will only be available at participating restaurants, rather than nationwide, the company said.

"We're letting the restaurants determine if this menu item is one their customers will enjoy," wrote McDonald's spokeswoman Lisa McComb in an email.

While McComb declined to say when the boneless barbecue pork sandwich would be available, one North Dakota franchise told CNBC it would begin selling the sandwich Monday.

"The McRib always makes a grand entrance on our menus and we don't want to steal its thunder—so stay tuned," McComb said.

Abroad, McDonald's units in Philippines and Guatemala have been advertising the sandwich's availability via social media.

The McRib is the rare U.S. limited-time offering in the fast-food industry that returns annually to great fanfare. Germany is the only country where the McRib is sold year-round.

Introduced in 1982, the McRib has become so popular that it's even sparked one fan site devoted to spotting sightings of it. This year, McDonald's will be looking for the regular draw of the McRib attraction to boost U.S. sales.

Performance at its U.S. unit has floundered with comparable sales dropping 1.5 percent in the second quarter. These negative sales trends persisted into July and August.

As it seeks to boost sales, McDonald's ramped up its campaign this week to educate consumers about its food with a series of videos aimed at dispelling rumors about its meat.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
The crackdown on bushmeat because of Ebola must've limited the amount of McRibs they could make.

KHlover

Banned
Move to Germany, McRib available 365 days a year. Now they just need to find a way to actually make it tasty...

wrowa

It's kind of funny that it's available in Germany all year and yet I don't know anyone who doesn't find it disgusting. I actually worked at a McDonalds when I was a teenager and no one ever bought that thing...

I would grab one when I wanted to clean out my system. One McRib, 6 pack of double ply toilet paper and a full charged vita was one of my favorite days of the year.

Camjo-Z

No complaints here. Every year they come back and every year I go "hmm, I haven't had one in a while, maybe it's better than I remember, I think I'll try it" and every year it's awful as usual. I've had TV dinners with better rib sandwiches than the McRib.

Clipjoint

Guess pork prices aren't low enough right now.

Blue line shows pork prices, black lines show every time McRib is rolled out:

euuDK4n.jpg

antonz

Not sure how the US is faring but pork prices here in Canada have gone up a lot. Bacon is at least twice as expensive as it was a year ago.

North America is taking it in the behind on prices lately. Its all blamed on lower stock than normal and increased export. So instead of just making sure what goes overseas is marked up they mark it up on us. beef is almost 3x the cost what I was paying last year.

When High quality New Zealand lamb is suddenly some of the cheapest meat in the stores you know something is wrong

SRG01

Blue line shows pork prices, black lines show every time McRib is rolled out:

euuDK4n.jpg

Should probably include when the McRib was removed from the menu for additional clarity.

North America is taking it in the behind on prices lately. Its all blamed on lower stock than normal and increased export. So instead of just making sure what goes overseas is marked up they mark it up on us. beef is almost 3x the cost what I was paying last year.

When High quality New Zealand lamb is suddenly some of the cheapest meat in the stores you know something is wrong

Export has very little to do with it. Grain and feed prices were really expensive a few years ago so many producers culled their herd. Now that feed prices are somewhat sane again, producers are trying to increase their herd sizes, which means an additional price increase as they withhold animals for slaughter. I've heard various estimates on when meat prices will fall again, and the consensus seems to be sometime in 2016.

npa189

Its too bad the McRib is one of the worst items on the menu at Mcdonalds. Like winning gold at the special Olympics.

I now realize that was extremely insensitive, I'm not even going to try and explain it, as its just a terrible analogy all together.

Astarte

Its too bad the McRib is one of the worst items on the menu at Mcdonalds. Like winning gold at the special Olympics.

Dude, not cool. I also don't know what winning gold at the Special Olympics is supposed to mean as a derogatory term.

The crackdown on bushmeat because of Ebola must've limited the amount of McRibs they could make.

FTWz57b.gif

Ok, I kinda like McRibs and even this made me chuckle.

I now realize that was extremely insensitive, I'm not even going to try and explain it, as its just a terrible analogy all together.

And yet you didn't even edit out of your post.

outsidah

I'm not even going to try to lie - when I see that thing show up at my local McDs, I will make it a point to go have it.

I'm not sure what it is, but I like having it at least once a year.

Alphahawk

I should add that I've never actually had a shamrock shake, it just seems like the only other limited menu item people go gaga for.

mreddie

Aw man, McRib's feel like a tradition, a odd one but nonetheless. I doubt any McDonalds are gonna have it this year.

McRibs were untouchable when they were the only choice for a good pork sandwich fast food item.

Now, Arbys and Wendys have superior offerings. Burger King had one of the best too, but it's seasonal.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The McRib is really a love it or hate it thing, from what I have gathered from people at the McD where I work. It is very annoying to clean though. I only have a couple of year, because honestly they are not very that good, and I consider someone that likes it. We usually barely sell any after January, and get rid of before we start the filet deals.

Snaku

Banned
The McRib is a disgusting pile. I don't know why anyone would willingly ingest it more than once. Jesus America, have some standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom