• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Next Xbox AND PS4 at E3 2012

Microsoft revealed the 360 the same year the released it. Also, you think Micro will give Nintendo a year head start? lol.

there is absolutely no way xb720 is releasing in 2012.

hell, as i've said a million times, nintendo would delay wii u out of 2012 if they at all could. and it's not even a real next gen console specs wise.

hell, i wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo DOES delay Wii u till 2013, LOL. They're sure not going to get a zelda or mario out on it anytime soon, and I haven't heard anything about any other Wii U software in a long time. Hell, Nintendo would delay it until 2015 if they could, and that's just the Wii U.

there is absolutely no way xb720 is releasing in 2012.

hell, as i've said a million times, nintendo would delay wii u out of 2012 if they at all could. and it's not even a real next gen console specs wise.

hell, i wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo DOES delay Wii u till 2013, LOL. They're sure not going to get a zelda or mario out on it anytime soon, and I haven't heard anything about any other Wii U software in a long time. Hell, Nintendo would delay it until 2015 if they could, and that's just the Wii U.

lol Wut? The specs for the Wii U haven't even been revealed, what are you even talking about? The 3DS is next gen because well, it's a NEXT generational handheld, as is Vita, as is the Wii U, etc.

Microsoft revealed the 360 the same year they released it. That is the facts. There is a precedent. You're making categorical statements as though they are fact with out any evidence to support it, aka. the Wii U specs.

lol Wut? The specs for the Wii U haven't even been revealed, what are you even talking about? The 3DS is next gen because well, it's a NEXT generational handheld, as is Vita, as is the Wii U, etc.

Microsoft revealed the 360 the same year they released it. That is the facts. There is a precedent. You're making categorical statements as though they are fact with out any evidence to support it, aka. the Wii U specs.

they also released a year after halo 2, halo 4 is coming this year, on 360, zero chance xbox 720/loop releases this year

PLOT TWIST = PS4 and Xbox 720 are the same console

gopher-dramatic.gif

fDp1c.gif

Xbox720 integrated into Sony TV.

StevieP

Banned
I also want to mention for me, PC gaming isn't all cracked up to be as it use to be. I think I am going to give up on PC gaming in June. Its a bit of a revelation for me. I will see what is on the horizon or I might go for the On Live service.

What the flying spaghetti monster am I reading here? And the 8th generation of consoles begins this year; specs mean nothing at all in respect to console generations.

Microsoft revealed the 360 the same year they released it.

That's true, but they also released the system amidst a late-gen lull in software. 2004 was a year without much of significance during the holiday season competing with new hardware; 2012, on the other hand, is a year already packed with announcements of major franchise releases, many of which are releasing in the holiday season and many of which are deck-clearing "final entries" that would naturally precede a new generation. Even with a late announcement, Microsoft would've had to tell third-parties about 720's release schedule in early 2011* and the release slate we're seeing for the year doesn't leave the kind of gaps we'd be looking to fill with currently-secret launch titles.

*The dearth of leaks about development hardware is another reason not to buy 2012 here, IMO.

It makes perfect sense.

Not sure why. Nintendo's Twilight Princess move didn't even make sense. Splitting Halo 4 like that means giving 720 an ugly-as-fuck "premier" launch game while simultaneously making the game irrelevant as a selling-point for the next-gen system.

Dipswitch

Not sure why. Nintendo's Twilight Princess move didn't even make sense. Splitting Halo 4 like that means giving 720 an ugly-as-fuck "premier" launch game while simultaneously making the game irrelevant as a selling-point for the next-gen system.

Not sure why you would expect the 720 version of Halo 4 to be "ugly as fuck". At the very least, you could expect the game to be an uprezzed version of the 360 version with better textures. And more than likely, the game would likely feature better models, draw distances, sound, etc. It wouldn't look anywhere near as good as a natively developed title, but it really wouldn't have to.

If anything, they could sell it quite handily as the "definitive" version of the game. Price it the same and it's a no brainer of a purchase for people looking for a new console anyway.

I predict Sony starts charging for online play next gen, but cheaper than XBL. They see MS getting that XBL money and want some of it.

I have no evidence to back this up.
If they combine the PS+ deals and free games with online play as one service and make it cheaper then I might just sign up.

BurntPork

Banned

In his mind, there's already enough info to confirm with absolute certainty that Wii U is most likely either 0% or 30-50% more powerful than current gen and any more is wishful thinking by fanboys. No real point in arguing, despite the fact that Nintendo would have to intentionally weaken an RV730 for that to happen.

The_Monk

The next generation of consoles could wait until 2014 for all I care. I'm pretty happy with the output of games right now and not having to pay $400 for a new console.

Me too.

I also would say that my wallet is not ready. I'm very curious either way but I don't see myself picking them on day one. Too many life priorities...Argh!

BY2K

Membero Americo
In his mind, there's already enough info to confirm with absolute certainty that Wii U is most likely either 0% or 30-50% more powerful than current gen and any more is wishful thinking by fanboys. No real point in arguing, despite the fact that Nintendo would have to intentionally weaken an RV730 for that to happen.

Look who's talking, you're already calling the Wii U the next Dreamcast.

I'm happy about the output of games we're getting now but I still don't want to wait, no one is forcing you to buy the next-gen console at launch. The faster it comes, the faster the library can build up and great games can come out, then jump in when you feel pleased enough. And it's not happening now, still a year or 2 away give or take.

Not sure why you would expect the 720 version of Halo 4 to be "ugly as fuck".

Relative to expectations? Halo 4 would absolutely be a monumentally awful showcase of brand-new console hardware. It would look worse than shitty tossed-off launch titles from mediocre publishers. We have experience with last-minute upports of previous generation titles and that experience is not pretty.

I'm sure it would look nicer than the 360 version but that's not actually what would be relevant.

BurntPork

Banned
Look who's talking, you're already calling the Wii U the next Dreamcast.

Not what I said. I was basically saying that Nintendo won't be able to convince current gamers who aren't interested in Nintendo platforms to buy Wii U. The Dreamcast comparison came from the main reason that won't happen; those gamers will be completely distracted by Microsoft and Sony.

StevieP

Banned
Relative to expectations? Insert 99% of all console launch titles, including those from first parties would absolutely be a monumentally awful showcase of brand-new console hardware. It would look worse than shitty tossed-off launch titles from mediocre publishers. We have experience with last-minute upports of previous generation titles and that experience is not pretty.

I'm sure it would look nicer than the 360 version but that's not actually what would be relevant.

Yep.

That's true, but they also released the system amidst a late-gen lull in software. 2004 was a year without much of significance during the holiday season competing with new hardware; 2012, on the other hand, is a year already packed with announcements of major franchise releases, many of which are releasing in the holiday season and many of which are deck-clearing "final entries" that would naturally precede a new generation.

Games are starting to get boring. We're getting too many unambitious sequels. And its not just me who is noticing it-- the Bombcast guys have been starting to talk more and more about next gen consoles because they are not getting excited by games like Forza 4, Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed Revelations.

S1kkZ

Relative to expectations? Halo 4 would absolutely be a monumentally awful showcase of brand-new console hardware. It would look worse than shitty tossed-off launch titles from mediocre publishers. We have experience with last-minute upports of previous generation titles and that experience is not pretty.

it worked for kameo (which still looks good today, art design aside) and king kong.
i just dont see why ms want h4 on the 360. the console (360) is going to sell great with or without h4 (at least in north america) but a new console needs a strong launch lineup and h4 would be perfect.

Not sure why you would expect the 720 version of Halo 4 to be "ugly as fuck". At the very least, you could expect the game to be an uprezzed version of the 360 version with better textures. And more than likely, the game would likely feature better models, draw distances, sound, etc. It wouldn't look anywhere near as good as a natively developed title, but it really wouldn't have to.

If anything, they could sell it quite handily as the "definitive" version of the game. Price it the same and it's a no brainer of a purchase for people looking for a new console anyway.

Yes. Or even more: Halo 4 was already and always planned as a xbox 720 launch game. That way they would have their impressive and all out next gen killer app and the 360 would get a massively stripped down version to show the big differences between the two machines.

Yes. Or even more: Halo 4 was already and always planned as a xbox 720 launch game.

This doesn't make sense with anything about how the game has been revealed so far, though. They specifically made a point of revealing its existence at E3 and stating, explicitly, that it's a 360 game. I don't see any strategic benefit to lying on purpose about a game's platform, or in announcing Halo 4 at all last year if it's a 720 game.

it worked for kameo (which still looks good today, art design aside) and king kong.

I would very much argue the claim that it "worked" for King Kong.

Rtas

I honestly think its too early, the Xbox 360 is still churning out great titles and the PS3 still has a very dedicated fanbase, I honestly hope that even if they are revealed we should be looking at a 2014 release

Rtas

Show it off at E3 2012 and hype up all the big games. Winter 2012 the 360 has a big send-off with Halo 4. Launch March/April 2013.

Actually that sounds rather plausible, although I still think the March/April period might be a the wrong time of year, I could be wrong but a post christmas/late january release seems a bit more likely to me

params7

Banned
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...ance-sony-will-show-playstation-4-at-e3-2012/

Well this is some contradiction. Pachter says it won't happen.

There’s been a lot of Internet buzz of late regarding an MCV story that states that both Sony and Microsoft will show off PlayStation 4 and the next Xbox at E3 2012 this June in Los Angeles. But according to videogame analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities, that’s not going to happen.

I think Sony will just hint at the PS4, they can't afford not to but the focus will just be Vita and PS3. We won't see much of the PS4 but I hope we do.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...ance-sony-will-show-playstation-4-at-e3-2012/

Well this is some contradiction. Pachter says it won't happen.

I think Sony will just hint at the PS4, they can't afford not to but the focus will just be Vita and PS3. We won't see much of the PS4 but I hope we do.

Yeah I dunno, that's probably Pachter just guessing. The MCV guy sounded much more confident, especially with that tweet. He basically put the site's rep on the line.

Pachter?

“I think there’s zero chance of a tease from Sony for PlayStation 4 and only a 20 percent chance from Microsoft that they’ll tease the next Xbox,” said Pachter. “Neither console is launching in 2013, so there’s no reason to tease them in 2012.”

Then that means it's 100% certain that PS4 will have a full blowout and 120% certain that MS will have a full blowout.

EDIT: Beaten. :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I believe that MCV guy over Patcher, though. I don't think MS and Sony would want to give Nintendo a 1 year lead, so 2012/13 makes sense.

Top Bottom