• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Wii £149 (UK), launched by Nov 24

Cool, thats nice, £150 would have been the max i want to pay. And with the release date on November 24th, it feels so nice now since the PS3 isn't there any more :)

Sunski

But MCV believes that Nintendo has chosen to launch its next generation console at £149, a figure that falls slap bang in the middle of the varying estimates that have been discussed for months. This makes Wii £50 cheaper than the Core Xbox 360 Pack and an estimated £275 cheaper than PS3.

Though the final details were thrashed out before the news of PS3’s delay emerged, a planned release to coincide with Thanksgiving in the US is anticipated. MCV expects Wii to launch shortly before Friday November 24th in the UK, giving it a lengthy spell at retail in the run-up to Christmas.

Rumours.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Good price.

NES/SNES/N64/GC ALL were 200-220 euro... Either the same price, or below it.

N64 was £250 at launch, thats way over 200 euro...not discounting the fact that the euro didnt exist then anyway.

That date shouldn't come as much surprise, since Iwata stated before Thanksgiving in the US and we know they're going for a global launch. They'll want to hit before that time anyway since people will be doing their Christmas shopping in Europe as well.

The price is another matter; they don't list sources, however, anonymous or otherwise. The only time they mention sources is when talking about stock, and anybody could guess that won't be an issue.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, don`t UK prices end up being higher than US and JP prices, usually?

I don`t see why the US won`t be $199. Here in Japan, I`m expecting lower than 25000 yen.

ziran

if true, it's a good price imo and the date is what i expected.

£149 will be including tax and since the ds is £99 ~$185 i'd say wii is going to be $199 in na and ~25,000 yen in japan.

£150
€200
$200
¥25,000

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sunski said:
For reference - £149 in the UK normally = $149 in the US when gaming is concerned.
I know, but I don't want to speculate. This gen has been a rollercoaster in all senses so far :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sunski said:
For reference - £149 in the UK normally = $149 in the US when gaming is concerned.

Not really since the euro came in. Usually the 1:1 mapping is with the euro now. This points to $199 probably.

Viddie said:
WOW Well done on the quote, take things out of context.

MCV is a reputable trade paper. If you wanna take it as rumour, well, it's probably the most reliable you'll see before the 14th.

Rocked

But MCV believes that Nintendo has chosen to launch its next generation console at £149, a figure that falls slap bang in the middle of the varying estimates that have been discussed for months. This makes Wii £50 cheaper than the Core Xbox 360 Pack and an estimated £275 cheaper than PS3.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ziran said:
if true, it's a good price imo and the date is what i expected.

£149 will be including tax and since the ds is £99 ~$185 i'd say wii is going to be $199 in na and ~25,000 yen in japan.

£150
€200
$200
¥25,000
IAWTP

£150, as in only £50 more than the DS? I dunno, it seems a little low for me. I'm going to aim for £200.

If it is only £150 then it's going to have nothing else with the console except for a 'mote. If it sells for £200, I can totally see some VC games or maybe Wii Sports, or even maybe a second conreoller.

Xrenity

A scan of MCV's paper reveals they think it launches between the 20th and the 24th.

And I'm relieved with the stock-thingy. There seem to be no problems.

ZeoVGM

Banned
now, correct me if i'm wrong, but MCV is pretty good usually right? they're not one to bullshit?

they seem positive about this.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
omg rite said:
now, correct me if i'm wrong, but MCV is pretty good usually right? they're not one to bullshit?

they seem positive about this.

MCV is a trade magazine, so they are normally right on the retail stuff.

I was hearing the same price last week, too. Unless it's all coming from the same one non official source, chances are it's pretty much on the money...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The announcement is in just a few days... Why speculate so much now? To get the scoop? They should write 20 identical articles except the price given for each are multples of 5 between 125 and 225. That way they are bound to be right. And we'll still be where we are right now.

ZeoVGM

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
The announcement is in just a few days... Why speculate so much now? To get the scoop? They should write 20 identical articles except the price given for each are multples of 5 between 125 and 225. That way they are bound to be right. And we'll still be where we are right now.

I don't believe they're "speculating".

In that Wii Launch Prediction thread I picked this exact date. :D

Too bad I messed up on the price though, I said 149 euro, not pounds. :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
£149 is a good price for the UK.

I think every new console has come in at atleast £199. £149 is also psychologically much more in the 'lets give it a try' territory.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
omg rite said:
I don't believe they're "speculating".

"But MCV believes that Nintendo has chosen to launch its next generation console at £149"

"MCV expects Wii to launch shortly before Friday November 24th in the UK"

You're right, they're believing and expecting.

Top Bottom