• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Wii £149 (UK), launched by Nov 24

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I'd buy it for £150 (if true)...and it would be even better if this price included 2 Wiimotes and at least 1 nunchuck attachment. Online will hopefully be even cheaper and game prices stay at ~£30 online too.

I could buy 2 Wii + 1 DSL + 1/8 of skunk for the price of the PS3

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
GreenGlowingGoo said:
"But MCV believes that Nintendo has chosen to launch its next generation console at £149"

"MCV expects Wii to launch shortly before Friday November 24th in the UK"

You're right, they're believing and expecting.

Or just covering their arses, in the same way as you put 'allegedly' after accusing someone of illicit drug-fueled midget sex parties!

It's a trade-paper, they are usually pretty intouch with things.

Tadaima

GC was planned to launch at £169, but was cut to £129 just before launch. This sits right in the middle of that, so I'm very happy!

The date is great, too. I expect it'll be before that for Japan and the US.

And yes, this'll be €200/$200.

Nash said:
Or just covering their arses, in the same way as you put 'allegedly' after accusing someone of illicit drug-fueled midget sex parties!

It's a trade-paper, they are usually pretty intouch with things.

Bingo.

It's nothing new in journalism to use "expects" and "believes" - it's usually to protect a direct source. A story like this (written as it is from a publication like MCV) this close to an official announcement, often means it's as close to the truth as you're going to get at this time. Things can change quickly in a week.

Tadaima

Nintendo UK boss refutes reports of Wii price point and date

Nintendo UK boss David Yarnton has told GamesIndustry.biz that reports the Wii will retail for GBP 149 and will be in shops shortly before November 24 are "definitely not right".

The claims, which appeared in an article by trade publication MCV, are "only speculation, and definitely not fact," according to Yarnton.

"They're not far off, but they're definitely not right," he told GI.biz.

As previously announced, Nintendo is holding a Wii press event in London next Friday, where it is set to reveal the official price point and launch date for the console.

"We will be announcing more details then," Yarnton confirmed.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19573

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Eddz said:
GC was planned to launch at £169, but was cut to £129 just before launch. This sits right in the middle of that, so I'm very happy!

The date is great, too. I expect it'll be before that for Japan and the US.

And yes, this'll be €200/$200.

The Wii is (possibly) £20 more than the GC was over here, yet it'll launch at the same price as the GC did elsewhere?

While I know the obvious answer is "they hate us", I don't see why Nintendo would jack the price up in one region alone. Especially from the UK to the rest of Europe, even the DS launched at the same price between the two (based on conversion rates).

EDIT: Oh. Well it just so happens that 200 euros = £135...that's not far off ;)

ziran

Eddz said:
Nintendo UK boss refutes reports of Wii price point and date

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19573
maybe, but don't forget this little gem from yarnton, also from gamesindustry.biz:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14271
"No plans" for DS redesign at E3 - David Yarnton

Nintendo UK boss pours yet more cold water on DS redesign rumours

Nintendo UK's general manager David Yarnton has reiterated that the company has no plans to announce a redesigned DS unit at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz in an interview published on the website today, Yarnton said, "If I turned around and said to my staff that we're doing something new they'd probably throttle me."

Pressed on the issue of a possible redesign for the high-flying handheld, which recently broke through the one-million-UK-sales barrier, Yarnton said, "That's been rumoured, I don't know for how long, but we haven't got any plans at the moment. Nothing I know of."....
...and iirc the next day (or shortly after) the ds lite was announced :lol

edit - yep, it was the next day:
http://gamespot.com/news/6143136.html?sid=6143136

Man, no one ever tells the european divisions anything, and they always end up getting the rug pulled out from under them.

Guess HQ (Japan for Nintendo and Sony, US for MS) keeps the secrets close to the vest.

Mama Smurf said:
That would be disappointing, as the GC launched for £129.
Nintendo TRIED to launch the cube for 129 pounds, but almost every place selling it marked it up.

I remember it clearly. technically the launch was 129 pounds, but that didn't really translate through to the consumer.

Tadaima

plagiarize said:
Nintendo TRIED to launch the cube for 129 pounds, but almost every place selling it marked it up.

I remember it clearly. technically the launch was 129 pounds, but that didn't really translate through to the consumer.

I remember it clearly too. It was £129 everywhere where I lived.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
dock UK said:
and then add 17.5% UK sales tax and you end up with £158

Pfff, I already added that.

GC launch = £129/€199 Conversion rate = £129/€191

DS launch = £99/€149 Conversion rate = £99/€147

Micro launch = £69/€95 Conversion rate = £69/€101

DS lite launch = £99/€149 Conversion rate = £99/€147

I'm fed up of trying to find the GBA SP launch prices, though I'd expect it to fall in line with the above (if someone finds the details and it doesn't, feel free to shoot down my argument).

So you can see the prices have been extremely similar. The biggest difference is €8 and this is at today's conversion rate, it might have been even closer back then. If the Wii was £149 in the UK and €200 in Europe, the difference would be €20.

Not only that, but any small discrepancies in prices tend to have actually favoured the UK. So €20 in the opposite direction seems very unlikely to me.

Taker666 said:
In reality it launched for £149 (£129 + £20 for a memory card).

This is true. Does make the Wii price seem better, as it has memory to save to built in.

I'll just stick with the £149 /= €200 argument ;)

plagiarize said:

And £129 EVERYWHERE

SantaC

oh god yet another speculation price and launch thread =/

1 more week people, one more week.

As for November 24th launch, so much for the story that it could launch in next few weeks because of early production :lol

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
ziran said:
...and iirc the next day (or shortly after) the ds lite was announced :lol

edit - yep, it was the next day:
You would be surprised as to how many times NCL press releases serve as memos to NoE and NoA. It's ridiculous.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Boss of Nintendo UK denying something is all the proof anyone should need that its real.

Aurora

Hmmm. £149 was the most I was willing to pay for it, so I guess it's alright. Still, I fully expect it to be released for less.

revised possibilities in my view:

£169.99 - PSP Price point
£149.99 - David Yarnton is flexible with the truth
£129.99 - Gamecube legacy pricepoint

[Nintex]

radioheadrule83 said:
revised possibilities in my view:

£169.99 - PSP Price point
£149.99 - David Yarnton is flexible with the truth
£129.99 - Gamecube legacy pricepoint
It wont be more expensive then GameCube, that wouldnt make any sense since Nintendo wanted to reduce cost and attract new customers, instead of going the GameCube route again.

darkbanjo

I was hoping for £130.

I probably won't be able to afford any games for it now.

Ah well, I'll still buy it day one.

darkbanjo said:
I was hoping for £130.

I probably won't be able to afford any games for it now.

Ah well, I'll still buy it day one.

There's still a chance thats what it will be. Check out Yarnton's quote on this very page.

SantaC

krypt0nian said:
Nintendo loves you, Europe. And it's about damn time!

Hold it right there buster! Nintendo has yet to officially release a launchdate in europe. I believe 2006 when I see it :)

SantaC said:
Hold it right there buster! Nintendo has yet to officially release a launchdate in europe. I believe 2006 when I see it :)

neogaf1.gif

SantaC

krypt0nian said:

:lol

I would be pleasant surprised if Nintendo pulls off an almost woldwide release of the Wii. Europe has lagged atleast 4 months after the US in terms of launch products. (hardware)

Top Bottom