• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports FC 24 is the UK's second biggest retail launch of 2023 | UK Boxed Charts

Pop

angry jason terry GIF

I don't think that will be a challenge for Starfield, mainly because there weren't many high-profile games that were released in September. BG3 might not even be tracked.

The real challenge would be the overall 2023 year sales data by Circana. I don't think Starfield will find a prominent place on that chart, if any.

Well, Mortal Kombat 1 did release that month, and I wouldn't underestimate BG3 sales on PS5. That game has incredible WOM. We could even see Harry Potter and one or both Spiderman games on the charts in Top 10 as well, probably even ahead of Starfield.

So yeah, it could be on the Top 10 for September, but might not be #1, #2 or even #3. For 2023 altogether, it's definitely not going to be in the Top 10. If it's not in the Top 15 or Top 20 though, that could be horrid.

Nah. It'll be in the top 5 for SURE! Maybe top 3.

Yeah it could be Top 5, you'd think it would be #1 though with all the hype. Gonna go with MK1 taking that spot though. Didn't a new Madden release? That could overtake Starfield.

Depending on how it's tracked BG3 could outsell it for September, too. Harry Potter had a crazy jump in UK, maybe it repeats that here? And Spiderman 2 next month could've given the other games a boost in September.

If it's not in Top 5, get the bunkers ready.

It should actually be number 1 or 2 right?

Honestly don't see it managing #1, not with MK1 also released same month. PS5 sales of BG3 could also be big.

Last edited:

nowhat

I see it more as the two biggest exclusives going head to head. Each with its own strengths and weaknesses.
Sure, but Starfield sales will be crippled (see what I did there?) by Gamepass, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. Whether subscriber numbers can be factored in the sales figures is another debate.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well, Mortal Kombat 1 did release that month, and I wouldn't underestimate BG3 sales on PS5. That game has incredible WOM. We could even see Harry Potter and one or both Spiderman games on the charts in Top 10 as well, probably even ahead of Starfield.

So yeah, it could be on the Top 10 for September, but might not be #1, #2 or even #3. For 2023 altogether, it's definitely not going to be in the Top 10. If it's not in the Top 15 or Top 20 though, that could be horrid.
Not underestimating BG3, but there is a possibility that Circana does not track its data just like GFK did not in EU and UK, which means BG3 doesn't show up on the charts at all even if it were topping it.

Hogwart's may be there. Madden and MK1 as well. But even in that case, Starfield might be around #4?

FFXVI - 'Story'

If Starfield performs well in the yearly chart (top 3-5 spots), then it actually means something.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sure, but Starfield sales will be crippled (see what I did there?) by Gamepass, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. Whether subscriber numbers can be factored in the sales figures is another debate.

Nah man. Starfield was released on PC on day one too. So no, being on Game Pass shouldn't be used as an excuse. Especially since Phil said publically, GamePass helps game sell better.

Kerotan

is it even worth the effort of selling the boxed copy for £1?
Some people would sell it while it still has value if they get bored of it after a few months and others would pass on to friends or family.

That split in favour of playstation is insane.

supernova8

Banned
is it even worth the effort of selling the boxed copy for £1?
Usually I'd push back but yeah it'd cost you more than £1 to either physically travel to a shop to trade it in or in postage costs if you sold it on eBay or something (and that's before eBay takes their cut).

Personally I love the fact that FIFA games lose their value so quickly. Means I can pick up last year's (or the year before) version for dirt cheap. I don't care about having the latest team rosters and as long as you're only about 2 years out, there are usually still some people on the online servers. When I was younger I used to buy every year at launch for full price but I was also in university playing FIFA practically all day with my friends (and we split the cost of the game between the guys living in our flat anyway) so it was well worth it.

Chuck FIFA in the disc drive, get some snacks and beers from the shop and then compare that to going out to a fancy bar, standing around talking to people you don't even like. Even at full price it's actually a massive bargain for the right demographic.

Last edited:

acm2000

Usually I'd push back but yeah it'd cost you more than £1 to either physically travel to a shop to trade it in or in postage costs if you sold it on eBay or something (and that's before eBay takes their cut).

Personally I love the fact that FIFA games lose their value so quickly. Means I can pick up last year's (or the year before) version for dirt cheap. I don't care about having the latest team rosters and as long as you're only about 2 years out, there are usually still some people on the online servers. When I was younger I used to buy every year at launch for full price but I was also in university playing FIFA practically all day with my friends (and we split the cost of the game between the guys living in our flat anyway) so it was well worth it.

Chuck FIFA in the disc drive, get some snacks and beers from the shop and then compare that to going out to a fancy bar, standing around talking to people you don't even like. Even at full price it's actually a massive bargain for the right demographic.
or wait 6 months and its on game pass/EA play :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Eotheod

Not looking good for Starfield's NPD/Circana debut at all 😬

FWIW, people like Chris Dring and I believe Mat Piscatella have said the current ratio is closer to 50:50 between the S and X, slightly favoring the S. My assumption was that it was generally 60:40 in favor of the S for the longest time, so it becoming more like 55:45 between S and X would be reasonable.

Whether they mean for this year or lifetime I dunno, but I assume they are probably referring to lifetime. So that would mean there are a lot more Series owners who can buy physical, than we may have suspected.

The general reception for Starfield has been "It's okay. Somewhat above-average". But that simply isn't good enough in today's market for a AAA game, when even somewhat better AA games will eat away at potential sales.

Time is even more valuable than money and it seems like most people don't want to spend what money they have on a "just okay" game eating up big chunks of their gaming time.
And yet yearly sports titles make big splashes in the market despite being derivative, same old tired formula. Shit is unpredictable, plain and simple really.

MrA

Banned
Fifa 23 was up in terms of physical u its over fifa 22, a 30% drop is pretty bad7
Spiderman 2 vs Starfield is going to be a pretty interesting sales comparison between exclusives.
If you mean blow out in favor of spiderman, spidermans big bad to overcome is mario wonder
Not perfect but some Amazon numbers in the US as of this post
Sales in the last month
Mario wonder has so 20k+
Spiderman 2 10k+
Starfield 5k+
This month will be nuts in terms of sales

Shame starfield didn't live up to my expectations, I wanted an amazing game, got an ok one with dumb writing, if its physical sales a dropping like a rock the digital ones probably are too.

nowhat

I wonder how a Cricket game by EA Sports would sell in the UK.
Probably like *crickets*

(I honestly don't know, I rarely criticize a sport, different strokes and all that. People like different things. But cricket makes zero sense, takes ages and is only watched/played by the crumbling remains of the British imperium.)

Hudo

Probably like *crickets*

(I honestly don't know, I rarely criticize a sport, different strokes and all that. People like different things. But cricket makes zero sense, takes ages and is only watched/played by the crumbling remains of the British imperium.)
I have no idea either. The only sports game I've played was Dead or Alive Xtreme (Beach Volleyball) 3.

nowhat

I have no idea either. The only sports game I've played was Dead or Alive Xtreme (Beach Volleyball) 3.
Microprose Soccer on C64 (which later became Sensible Soccer, a title more people recognize) was the shit. Face Off! (PC, 1989, a hockey game) was and is amazing. And all the Epyx stuff! (Summer/Winter/California/World Games) But yeah, I cannot get behind these current sports games even if I'd enjoy watching the sport. The cynical annual roster refreshes (without doing much with the core gameplay and mechanics) and really predatory monetization just make it impossible.

IOW, fuck EA. Even if I've never bought FIFA or never will this one either. Fuck EA.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Probably like *crickets*

eLRfd1V.jpg

nowhat

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I guess that looks like a more reliable chart, and I guess imperialism still affects the world more than I'd like to think. My point still stands on field hockey though.
The sports has nothing to do with imperialism though. It was started by the English, but other nations adopted the game -- and continue it -- because they like it.
(and also that as a spectator sport, cricket is about the best cure for insomnia there is)
That's just subjective and depends on one's personal tastes. Your own understanding and skills (or lack thereof) in a sport will also make one say this.

For me, Baseball is a cheap knockoff of Cricket, and even Football is pretty boring compared to the little details and intricacies that go into Cricket.

nowhat

That's just subjective and depends on one's personal tastes. Your own understanding and skills (or lack thereof) in a sport will also make one say this.

For me, Baseball is a cheap knockoff of Cricket, and even Football is pretty boring compared to the little details and intricacies that go into Cricket.
Of course. For the record, I'm not American and find baseball (and handegg) dreadfully boring as well. Hockey, of the ice variety, is my game. Stuff happens and unlike football, people don't get mysteriously injured and recover the next minute. The fights are lame, but they seldom happen outside NHL/beer leagues and are not a major part of the game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Of course. For the record, I'm not American and find baseball (and handegg) dreadfully boring as well. Hockey, of the ice variety, is my game. Stuff happens and unlike football, people don't get mysteriously injured and recover the next minute. The fights are lame, but they seldom happen outside NHL/beer leagues and are not a major part of the game.
Sure. I've watched NHL (very briefly) only for the fights lol and never actually liked the sports itself. Again, it just felt very rudimentary with not enough skills required. That may be because I'm not into NHl that much and may not understand the intricacies.

Cricket, however, is full of dynamism and intricacies, where something as small as the wrist position/angle of the bowler (pitcher for Baseballers) will completely change everything: where the ball goes, how it moves in the air, how the batter responds, how that changes the situation of the game and the winning chances of the opposition, etc. And there's like numerous small details like this, every time a bowl is bowled, that make the game so dynamic and interesting for me.

Anyway, we went on a tangent. The point is that there is a HUGE market and audience for Cricket. The reason we don't have AAA cricket games is that video games aren't as popular in those countries as much.

More importantly, Baseball sucks and I believe HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 will agree with that completely 😛 (Sorry 😛) /s

nowhat

Sure. I've watched NHL (very briefly) only for the fights lol and never actually liked the sports itself. Again, it just felt very rudimentary with not enough skills required. That may be because I'm not into NHl that much and may not understand the intricacies.
I'm... so tempted to post some videos, but you're right, we are really getting off to a tangent here. Let's just say we are both correct and oblivious about a sport another watches.
More importantly, Baseball sucks and I believe HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 will agree with that completely 😛 (Sorry 😛) /s
Yeah, this is something I can completely get behind. Baseball sucks!

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm... so tempted to post some videos, but you're right, we are really getting off to a tangent here. Let's just say we are both correct and oblivious about a sport another watches.

Yeah, this is something I can completely get behind. Baseball sucks!
I will admit Basketball was my first love and in High School we made a couple of deep runs in the State Tourney and was heavily recruited to play Basketball in College

Got to visit Indiana University with the legendary Coach Bob Knight and he legit told me "I hear you can throw a baseball really hard, stick to that sport son as you don't like to play defense on the court" so Baseball it was

I tried Football and being a tall lanky kid at 6'8" they put me at Tight End and I caught a high throw over the middle in practice and this kid build like a spark plug hit me in the ribs and I didn't breathe right for like a week so my decision was made then I didn't like getting destroyed

nowhat

I will admit Basketball was my first love and in High School we made a couple of deep runs in the State Tourney and was heavily recruited to play Basketball in College

Got to visit Indiana University with the legendary Coach Bob Knight and he legit told me "I hear you can throw a baseball really hard, stick to that sport son as you don't like to play defense on the court" so Baseball it was

I tried Football and being a tall lanky kid at 6'8" they put me at Tight End and I caught a high throw over the middle in practice and this kid build like a spark plug hit me in the ribs and I didn't breathe right for like a week so my decision was made then I didn't like getting destroyed
Hey, whatever floats your boat, wasn't being that serious. As stated, I don't usually criticize people for enjoying a particular sport, whether as a spectator or a participant. (unless it's cricke... nope not going to go there ;) As a matter of fact, here in Finland the "national sport" is actually a bastardized version of baseball called "pesäpallo". Except, I don't know who gave that game said moniker (it was "invented" here, but I don't think that counts), because factually, it's all hockey. Of the ice variety.

hlm666

Is there really not a sony first party game in the top 40 yet saints row got in there? What the hell is going on over there.

Top Bottom