• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Wii £149 (UK), launched by Nov 24

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
can't be bothered checking to see if this has already been posted in this thread or not, but...

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19573

Nintendo UK boss David Yarnton has told GamesIndustry.biz that reports the Wii will retail for GBP 149 and will be in shops shortly before November 24 are "definitely not right".

The claims, which appeared in an article by trade publication MCV, are "only speculation, and definitely not fact," according to Yarnton.

"They're not far off, but they're definitely not right," he told GI.biz.

As previously announced, Nintendo is holding a Wii press event in London next Friday, where it is set to reveal the official price point and launch date for the console.

"We will be announcing more details then," Yarnton confirmed.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Ahhh a good rule of thumb with UK prices compared to US prices is to take the UK price and subtract between 28%-30%.

149-28%=107.28

£107.28 converted into US$ is $199.56USD

So chill out guys...Nintendo is pricing it in NA at $199...

The thing that sucks though is that if it's true that it is £149 in the UK but $200 in the US...the UK is being pinched for £20...it should really be £129 like the GCN was priced. But the price would still be fine with me...I don't know anyone that would argue over £20...

Btw today I actually saw some chavs in GAME considering buying a DS-Lite...:lol It was truly mind-boggling for me...:lol I've always been under the opinion chavs are Sony drones.

F#A#Oo said:
Ahhh a good rule of thumb with UK prices compared to US prices is to take the UK price and subtract between 28%-30%.

149-28%=107.28

£107.28 converted into US$ is $199.56USD

So chill out guys...Nintendo is pricing it in NA at $199...

The thing that sucks though is that if it's true that it is £149 in the UK but $200 in the US...the UK is being pinched for £20...it should really be £129 like the GCN was priced. But the price would still be fine with me...I don't know anyone that would argue over £20...

Btw today I actually saw some chavs in GAME considering buying a DS-Lite...:lol It was truly mind-boggling for me...:lol I've always been under the opinion chavs are Sony drones.

When you are you guys gonna learn that your price is up because of your government tariffs. I am not sure what the rate is, but it is much higher than the US. Plus the US prices are always before taxes so most people will be paying between $210 and $220 for their consoles. Not $200. It is a tough concept I know. So in actuality you might be paying less for your console.

Aurora

F#A#Oo said:
I said wow. Hopefully they get a copy of Brain Training along with it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
BigGreenMat said:
When you are you guys gonna learn that your price is up because of your government tariffs. I am not sure what the rate is, but it is much higher than the US. Plus the US prices are always before taxes so most people will be paying between $210 and $220 for their consoles. Not $200. It is a tough concept I know. So in actuality you might be paying less for your console.

:lol

Ah...I know that...

As I said a "good rule of thumb"...I didn't say it's the official process.

VAT is 17.5% but then there is some kind of import duty done by the EU...which ranges from anything to 4%-18%...I think. It's really complicated and their TARIC chapter reads like a mortgage document...:lol

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...ad=0&Periodic=0&YesNo=1&Indent=-1&Action=1#OK

TheGreatDave said:
I'm gonna miss Wii launch speculation threads. Hopefully Nintendo keep some info close to them.
I would laugh so hard if Reggie busted out the "We think it's in our best interests to keep that information to ourselves just a little bit longer" line again. Holy shit that would be amazing, GAF would go past exploding and just disintegrate.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Aurora said:
I said wow. Hopefully they get a copy of Brain Training along with it.

One of them wanted to trade in his old DS (nicked it obviously :D ) GAME store assistant said the trade in is about £30-£35 off the top of his head.

The funny bit is how he was chatting to the assitant...

Chav:"blaaad how much for the old chunky DS if I trade it in for the new one?"

Assistant:"Ahh...*pause*...£30-£35 off the top of my head"

Chav:"I see...see...I got it for £79"

Assistant:"Well...that's depreciation for you"

Chav:"Blaad...I'm not disrespecting your offer..."

:lol :lol :lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Haha, what the hell does this mean?

Blood...it's a slang term...

Example "Wudup blood"

But because of the English/Jamaicafication-esque accent...it comes out sounding like "Blaad"

Chris Remo said:
Haha, what the hell does this mean?

From urban dictionary:

Blad/blud/blood, blad being the london pronounciation of the word, is not a ''chav'' word. It actually comes from jamaica and comes from the meaning of brother, of part of ones blood line, saying that someone is close to them. The word has just been taken on by the inner city ''youts'' as part of everyday language.

''wat u sayin blad''

''blaaaad this boy gettin me vex''

Even i had to look this one up and im from the UK.

There seems to be a lot of white chavs who speak Jafaken.

F#A#Oo

Banned
broadwayrock said:
From urban dictionary:

Even i had to look this one up and im from the UK.

There seems to be a lot of white chavs who speak Jafaken.

Yeah indeed...

Interesting enough...I found this...

http://www.mackers.com/alig/

Type in a something and you get a translation Ali G style...:lol

alig.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hmm, a week before my birthday, and roughly birthday priced....time to start dropping hints.

Although with my completely gamephobic wife I'm not sure how I explain that wanting a wii isn't what she thinks..

Koshiro

Right on the price, wrong on the date.

(my source is nintendo europe themselves. I do know the correct date but I think it's more fun acting like a smartass in threads like these)

Koshiro said:
Right on the price, wrong on the date.

(my source is nintendo europe themselves. I do know the correct date but I think it's more fun acting like a smartass in threads like these)

Posts like this make me wonder if the mods should ban pre-Sept. 14th teasing, like they did in the weeks leading up to E3. I suppose that the wait is short enough that it wouldn't make that big a difference.

Hooker

New info!!

http://www.ownage.nl/images/content/43375.jpg

1 black or white Wii console
1 Wii-mote controller
1 nunchuk controller
1 classic controller
Free Wii Sports
WiiConnect24
1000 coins for Virtual Console
Opera browser
AV-kabel & power supply
Limited: Duckhunt Remake on a 512MB SD kaart

For €175/$175/Yen 19.000 on October 2nd

GDGF

Soothsayer
I wanted to speculate too, but now all I can think about are vampire chavs trying to steal my Wii.

Top Bottom