• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Lack of JRPGs? Don't panic! Namco to the rescue!

topics_img_tofes2.jpg

Sunday 14th June / Tickets from 4800Y

couldn't find a better way to post this without having a 100% flame dedicated thread
In the bottom-left corner all I see is Ky Kiske.

Linkup

Pureauthor (03-04-2009 said:
I'm saying that I don't believe that people are going to go out of their way to buy a Wii for SW3 or MH3, especially if they already own a system that they believe (probably justifiably so) that the aforementioned games are going to end up on anyway.

I know I'm replying late, but I just thought of something. Do you think the same thing of the PS3 and FF13? Why is it people are assuming that MH3 is timed exclusive and FF13 isn't? We don't actually believe that "SE Japanese honor" post do we? Both MH3 and FF13 have platforms they can/will be ported to in Japan and yet the fans of one(MH) are going to wait and not buy a wii for MH while FF fans are going to get a PS3 for the game. I'm expecting any kind of boost PS3 gets from FF13 the wii will receive from MH3. Ok, I got a test to go to now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

topics_img_tofes2.jpg

couldn't find a better way to post this without having a 100% flame dedicated thread

What's this?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

topics_img_tofes2.jpg

Luke is such a smug fuck

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

topics_img_tofes2.jpg

Aww, no representation from Tales of Hearts?

Boo, they used Kanono's design from Radiant Mythology 2.

swerve

Spiegel said:
I think that for the next 6 months Nintendo has Motion+, Gamecube ports, the October conference games and Wii Sports Resort.

But of course I could be wrong.

I hope you are wrong, for the sake of Motion Plus.

It's not that I'm not excited by those games - S&P2 is my most anticipated game of the year - but Wii needs more headline grabbing stuff for Japan. Resort will definitely help but unless Dynamic Slash is also M+ and there are unannounced 3rd party M+ games too, then I can't see the add-on taking off as it could. And I strongly doubt Nintendo will be content with anything other than a Wii 'revolution' with M+ (especially with their rivals still likely to announce motion controllers in the next year or two).

ccbfan

Linkup said:
I know I'm replying late, but I just thought of something. Do you think the same thing of the PS3 and FF13? Why is it people are assuming that MH3 is timed exclusive and FF13 isn't? We don't actually believe that "SE Japanese honor" post do we? Both MH3 and FF13 have platforms they can/will be ported to in Japan and yet the fans of one(MH) are going to wait and not buy a wii for MH while FF fans are going to get a PS3 for the game. I'm expecting any kind of boost PS3 gets from FF13 the wii will receive from MH3. Ok, I got a test to go to now.

MH3 likely port destination is the system that the series got huge on so its where all the people that made the series what it is at. They don't need to buy a new system to play MH3.

FFXIII likely port destination is the worst selling system with a much smaller userbase than the PS3. No matter what, most people that wants to play FFXIII is probably going have to buy a new system. They might as well buy the one thats performing better and getting the game earlier.

donny2112

ccbfan said:
No matter what, most people that wants to play FFXIII is probably going have to buy a new system. They might as well buy the one thats cheaper.

Fixed, if the expected delay of PS3 FFXIII means that there'll be a simultaneous 360 release in Japan.

Rpgmonkey

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

topics_img_tofes2.jpg

...For some reason I though last year's was in November or something. Though this is two months earlier than 2008's. Time flies by.

Regardless, last year's kinda sucked if you're not a big fan of Voice Actors and fan trinkets and all that and just want more info about the upcoming games, wonder if they'll have actual announcements this time.

I think one or two (maybe more, lol) Tales games must be close to getting unveiled soon (though not necessarily at this show) if they bothered to have it not even a full year after 2008's.

ccbfan

donny2112 said:
Fixed, if the expected delay of PS3 FFXIII means that there'll be a simultaneous 360 release in Japan.

Considering the breakdown of head to head competition between games release at the same time among the PS3 and 360. I don't think any of this matters much.

Thunder Monkey said:
He's making me feel dirty.

But I love that feeling regardless.

*seductively rubs ass on bmfs kitchen table*
And you continue to be disturbing, in a somewhat entertaining way. I'm never quite sure whether I should put you on ignore, or block your image host, or something else entirely.

bmf said:
And you continue to be disturbing, in a somewhat entertaining way. I'm never quite sure whether I should put you on ignore, or block your image host, or something else entirely.
Exactly the response I was going for.

*rubs scent on bmf*

Holy shit!

The PS3 and 360 have outsold the Wii recently?!

What the fuck is Nintendo doing?!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
HK-47 said:
You better get Alpha Protocol, neo!

for the PS3 I am. :D

OHHHHHHHHH what is this tales of festival thing. Well maybe namco can smarten up and bring some RPG love to the PS3.

Tideas

Banned
even if the Ps3 outsells the Wii like this week for the next 8 weeks,

The Wii can just erase that entire 8 weeks by releasing a game that can cause the Wii to sell for 100k for 2 weeks and the PS3 sells 20k for both weeks.

relative people. relative

Thunder Monkey said:
What the fuck is Nintendo doing?!
Following a release and development track that was put into motion long ago, doing it's best to roll with the inevitable delays, and as usual, not hyping their less high-tier products.

They have stuff planned, they have delays that they're having to roll with, and because those delays are fairly unpredictable, they tend to not announce and not hype until the product has gone gold.

It's arguable whether this policy is very forward thinking or not. Some would say that by failing to hype (and failing to have a dedicated hype department) they miss out on potential sales, and disillusion their fan base.

The other side is that if they don't hype and they ignore the vocal minority that we are, they protect future sales by not pressuring the majority of their customers into buying games that they might not really want, and hopefully maintaining a resentment free relationship.

Yes, I'm completely pulling this theory out of my ass right now. I could probably come up with a couple of arguable examples, but I'd rather not.

Linkup

ccbfan said:
MH3 likely port destination is the system that the series got huge on so its where all the people that made the series what it is at. They don't need to buy a new system to play MH3.

FFXIII likely port destination is the worst selling system with a much smaller userbase than the PS3. No matter what, most people that wants to play FFXIII is probably going have to buy a new system. They might as well buy the one thats performing better and getting the game earlier.

Yet it is also the system that has been getting most of the console RPGs, already has a number of exclusives, and already has FF13 confirmed for a NA 360 release. I'm talking about the 360 RPG fans buying a PS3 for FF13, yet the PSP MH fans won't buy a wii to play MH3? Also the same applies to MH3, they want the game earlier they have to get it on wii and why would people care if the game is likely to sell better on PSP?

Spiegel said:
We talk a lot about Nintendo announcing and releasing games within 3/4 months but this is not so true.

In the October 2nd conference Nintendo announced:

# Punch-Out!! (Nintendo) 2009
# Trace Memory: R, Gateway of Memory (Nintendo) 2009
# Kensax (Nintendo) 2009
# Cosmic Walker (Nintendo) 2009
# Spawn Smasher (Nintendo) 2009
# Dynamic Smash (Nintendo) 2009
# Takt of Magic (Nintendo) 2009
# Sin & Punishment 2 (Nintendo) 2009
# Forever Blue 2: Beautiful Ocean (Nintendo) 2009
# Line Attack Heroes (Nintendo) 2009

Only Another Code has been dated (and released) so that makes 9 games announced 6 months at least before their release + Wii Sports Resort (10 months).

Nintendo has games announced. Yeah they aren't blockbusters but maybe this is everything they have at the moment

While true they still have a tendency to announce games not long after they are released as well (Excitebots). Yes as you said we knew that Monster Games was working on something but then again we can say the same currently for nearly any Nintendo developer.

bttb said:
First Day Sales (03/05)

[PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 222k
[360] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 56k
[NDS] 7th Dragon (Sega) - 60k
[PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z Special Disc (Bandai Namco) - 21k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10219230414.html

Resident Evil did nice as well as 7th Dragon.

Anyway I know it's a bit late to comment on this now but I'm disappointed how Star Ocean literally dropped like a rock after it being released.

velvet_nitemare said:
I figured i'd ask here. Do we know what console games Atlus are making after Devil summoner 2? I'm hoping they finally move on to current gen development. As much as i loved their PS2 games, i wanna get excited for a totally new engine and new monster designs for the next SMT/Persona.

A while back it was confirmed that Atlus brought some PS3/360 dev kits.

Eteric Rice

I wonder if Atlus is ever going to make some serious Wii games? Trauma Center is cool and all, but how about some RPGs that aren't ports?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. donny: Thanks for correction on 45.
2. donny: you did a count of 3rd party games that appeared in the top 50 per system. how about in the top 10?
3. lol @ "if you separate the DS's" guy
4. wow @ RE5. Expecting 300k/70k first week?
5. other random thoughts

jeremy1456

neojubei said:
for the PS3 I am. :D

OHHHHHHHHH what is this tales of festival thing. Well maybe namco can smarten up and bring some RPG love to the PS3.

If they were truly going to smarten up methinks they'd be announcing a Tales or two for PSP - I'm wondering if they ever will make a mothership title for their biggest fanbase.

Spiegel

Flying_Phoenix said:
While true they still have a tendency to announce games not long after they are released as well (Excitebots). Yes as you said we knew that Monster Games was working on something but then again we can say the same currently for nearly any Nintendo developer.

That wasn't my point, I'm saying that I don't expect some unannounced blockbuster from Nintendo to be announced and released within the next 4-5 months in Japan. And nobody should expect that because Nintendo Japan has yet to release 10 announced games (one of them being the next Wii _ thing)

Huge rumored games (Pikmin, Zelda) announced at GDC/E3 and released in October/November? Sure

But M+ could change things and as donny well says maybe they are holding back announcements.

Seeing RE5's sales and comparing them to Yakuza 3's and SO4's, I wonder if Capcom could have achieved the same sales if RE5 had been released only on PS3 in Japan. In other words, is the 360/PS3 userbase split simply fracturing a relatively fixed amount of total HD game sales, or is it actually expanding the market in Japan?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
neverknowsbest said:
Seeing RE5's sales and comparing them to Yakuza 3's and SO4's, I wonder if Capcom could have achieved the same sales if RE5 had been released only on PS3 in Japan. In other words, is the 360/PS3 userbase split simply fracturing a relatively fixed amount of total HD game sales, or is it actually expanding the market in Japan?

i think it's kind of trivially obvious that it's both. clearly some people who own one console would own the other if it was the only choice. but also clearly at least some percentage of owners chose to "jump in" to either system for some exclusive or other.

the thing is -- it doesn't really matter--developers and publishers have signaled that the japanese market means less and less to them as the western market means more and more, so it's not likely development or platform decisions, either way, will be designed to maximize japanese sales.

Eteric Rice said:
I wonder if Atlus is ever going to make some serious Wii games? Trauma Center is cool and all, but how about some RPGs that aren't ports?

I don't see any convincing reason whatsoever for Atlus to break up their handheld dev plan now (DS and PSP are both treating them pretty well) or any reason whatsoever to go to Wii. Atlus would have done well there if anyone else had broken open the jRPG market there, I think, but that clearly didn't happen, and now Atlus is making SMT4 for PS360.

Linkup said:
We don't actually believe that "SE Japanese honor" post do we? Both MH3 and FF13 have platforms they can/will be ported to in Japan and yet the fans of one(MH) are going to wait and not buy a wii for MH while FF fans are going to get a PS3 for the game.
I think it's more the case that people have known about FF XIII for PS3 since several months before launch, so people have already been buying it (in part) in anticipation for it for more than two years. Whereas MH3's move to Wii was a surprise, at a time when PSP had already become the dominant current-gen Monster Hunter system.

EDIT: Has Atlus released anything for PS360 yet? Among games that sold enough to make any of the lists used as source for Garaph I see 5 DS games, 1 PSP game, and 1 Wii game. Everything over 30K is DS, though.

icecream

Public Health Threat
JoshuaJSlone said:
EDIT: Has Atlus released anything for PS360 yet? Among games that sold enough to make any of the lists used as source for Garaph I see 5 DS games, 1 PSP game, and 1 Wii game. Everything over 30K is DS, though.
They're currently developing games for those platforms, but no official news has been released yet.

CTLance

Woohoo, go go go 7th dragon. I want to see this succeed. (Mainly because I want an international version, so my motives are a bit tainted, but whatever...)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stumpokapow said:
i think it's kind of trivially obvious that it's both. clearly some people who own one console would own the other if it was the only choice. but also clearly at least some percentage of owners chose to "jump in" to either system for some exclusive or other.

the thing is -- it doesn't really matter--developers and publishers have signaled that the japanese market means less and less to them as the western market means more and more, so it's not likely development or platform decisions, either way, will be designed to maximize japanese sales.

This makes me wonder about the current forum activity in Japan. Perhaps there they have people bitching, not about TEH CASUALZ but rather, TEH WESTERNZ. Funny to think the majority 'taste' over here might be ruining some of their hobbies (in perception).

PantherLotus said:
This makes me wonder about the current forum activity in Japan. Perhaps there they have people bitching, not about TEH CASUALZ but rather, TEH WESTERNZ. Funny to think the majority 'taste' over here might be ruining some of their hobbies (in perception).
Ever played around with nicovideo? Lots of America hate there.

Eteric Rice

That's a good question, actually. What does Japan think in terms of console wars and stuff?

Can anyone read Japanese? :lol

Johann

PantherLotus said:

Strange as it is, this is the best I've ever seen Western games chart in Japan. I suppose it is because of the limited amount of Japanese competition on the HD consoles and publishers, such as Spike, giving Western games full localizations (as opposed to having a five-year old translate the text portion only or ignore any translating all together).

Top Bottom