• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

Yamauchi said:
Nintendo only published 17 of the games in the top 30.

Abandon ship!
You already have, you must have known Nintendo was going to go third party.

yam.gif

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Snaku said:
[IM]http://www.kakusha.com/~cvxfreak/laughingdq.gif[/IMG]

Imagine what this week will be, given the recent...developments. :lol Next week's MC thread will be awesome.

i think we'll see that "effect" next week...right?

Bebpo said:
I think you missed the ummm...BLUE FREAKING DRAGON AT NUMBER 4!

RGG2 = Awesome sales. Between that and THE BEST version of RGG1 doing 200k the two games combined are going to pass a million when RGG2 goes THE BEST. With a million copies sold I think Sega is actually going to recoup from their 20 million investment.

Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza also looks to be one the highest selling original games in the last 5-10 years of Japan game history. Good to see a fantastic game is taking off and becoming popular both in really high ratings and public opinion. These sales have pretty much assured that RGG3 will be a next-gen production on either X360 or PS3 or both!

Anyone honestly think it will be even in the top 10 next week?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS3 sales are pathetic, but I guess it is to be expected when there are like 200,000 units total out there and you are offering up such Japanese friendly titles like Motorstorm.

IJoel

I actually don't think those BD numbers are so good. They're ok, but considering it sold 70 of those 80k in the first day, it could be telling of the fate that awaits it.

Jiggy

It does my heart good to see real Kirby so thoroughly beating its spinoff DS "predecessor."
Though I will admit Canvas Curse actually might have been a lot better off if it were its own franchise.

enishi

um... people said only hardcore Nintendo fanboys bought Wii when Zelda has high attach rate; and they said Zelda is bomba when it sells only around 1/3 of hardware number...

I know it is GAF. But I will wait until next March to judge if Zelda is bomba.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
PS3 sales are pathetic, but I guess it is to be expected when there are like 200,000 units total out there and you are offering up such Japanese friendly titles like Motorstorm.

I honestly do not expect a PS3 game crack top 10 until VF5

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
cvxfreak said:
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html

1. (PS2, Bandai Namco) Gundam SEED: Federation vs ZAFT II - 337,559
2. (PS2, Sega) Yakuza 2 - 274,822
3. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Diamond - 98,859 / 1,996,275
4. (X360, Microsoft) Blue Dragon - 80,348
5. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Pearl - 75,206 / 1,669,367
6. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 72,382 / 248,549
7. (DS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeek Squad - 66,421 / 465,462
8. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Play - 62,863 / 237,160
9. (DS, Nintendo) Jump Ultimate Stars - 62,068 / 278,640
10. (DS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training - 55,208 / 720,752

11. Love and Berry DS Collection
12. New Super Mario Brothers
13. Momotarou Dentetsu 16
14. 1000 DS Receipes
15. Animal Crossing Wild World
16. More Brain Age
17. Zelda no Densetsu: Twilight Princess
18. Tales of Destiny
19. Yakuza (PS2 The Best)
20. Final Fantasy VI Advance
21. Brighter than Dawning Blue
22. Power Pro Kun Pocket 9
23. Odoru Made in Wario
24. Kirarin Star Revolution Naasan to Issho
25. Brain Age
26. Mario Kart DS
27. 200 Mannin Kanji
28. DS Cuisine Navigator
29. J League Winning Eleven 10
30. English Training DS
There goes the neighborhood.

jimbo

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Next week it will drop to num 10. Then it will be in the 30-40 range. My opinion.

That might be a bit of a stretch. This week's 10 game sold ~50k copies. Not saying it can't, but a top 20 spot would be more in line. Of course I'd actually love for it to do even better, catch on, move even more hardware.....but that shall remain just a dream.

methane47

OMG Blue Dragon at Number 4?!?!?

Zelda at number 8.8.... ummm i mean 17... :lol

Man... I really really want to see hardware sales for that week....

Snaku

Banned
IJoel said:
I actually don't think those BD numbers are so good. They're ok, but considering it sold 70 of those 80k in the first day, it could be telling of the fate that awaits it.

It sold the other 10k over the span of 3 days.

Branduil

Hopefully Zelda will continue to sell throughout the Wii's lifetime.

In any case, I'm sure Nintendo is still quite happy with Zelda's performance in NA and Europe. I bet they expected it to do worse in Japan with its darker art style and increased difficulty. In any case, it's still too early to say it will do worse than WW.

Parl

I Am Error said:
You already have, you must have known Nintendo was going to go third party.

yam.gif

Nintendo will go third party. Nintendo employees will get bored of dominating the market and Miyamoto-san will be more relaxed in his old age and will stop throwing chairs around. And they will need to go third party for a bit of entertainment to bring morale back up.

Busaiku

Wow.
Overall software sales seem to be really high this week.
Isn't Zelda around 35k and that 1000 Recipes thing around 40k?

Parl said:
Nintendo will go third party. Nintendo employees will get bored of dominating the market and Miyamoto-san will be more relaxed in his old age and will stop throwing chairs around. And they will need to go third party for a bit of entertainment to bring morale back up.
He doesn't throw chairs. He throws tea tables.

GhaleonEB

jimbo said:
That might be a bit of a stretch. This week's 10 game sold ~50k copies. Not saying it can't, but a top 20 spot would be more in line. Of course I'd actually love for it to do even better, catch on, move even more hardware.....but that shall remain just a dream.
It depends on how well #10 does, and how many of the hardware bundles continue to move (assuming the 80k includes them). I can see another 20k hardware bundles moving next week. Add in 10k more software copies and it's possible. But since the #10 game sold 55k this week, it's not likely. I'd say a drop to #15 is next. I just hope it hangs on the top 30 for a few weeks, moving the balance of those bundles.

jimbo

Banned
IJoel said:

You are correct. Deffinitely this doesn't boast confidence. That's why I always believed if BD was going to be huge it was going to be the type of game that takes time for it to catch on. So we'll see.

However I still would like some definite confirmation on whether or not this is 80k including the bundle or is this without the bundle? Or was that 80k number including the bundle first day sales only and this 80k number software only for the whole week a mere coincidence?

It is kind of strange that the game would take that kind of a drop in just one day.

enishi

And I think Sega will be another winner this holiday season

Love and Berry - 550k now and I think it will hit a million before summer 2007
Yakaza (The Best) - 200k for a Best-Price title, it is nearly FF, DQ level :p
Yakaza 2 - 270k first week, we may see 500k for its LTD

And Fushigi no Dungeon Fuurai no Siren is released today. It has decent pre-order number, should do at least 150-200k.

Sega should be very happy about this.
Although I don't think Sonic will pass 50k (360 and PS3 combined)

I do not think this really paints Zelda or blue dragon (next week) in a bad light.
Then numbers of consoles just are not as high for the 360 and Wii (and PS3 for that matter) and it does make a difference.
Hell for BD that is a large percentage of total 360s in Japan, same with Zelda.

Parl

bmf said:
He doesn't throw chairs. He throws tea tables.

He uphends tea tables, but he throws chairs when things aren't going right. I read it in an old interview he had with he old official Ninty mag in the UK from several years ago.

Nintendo NEED this S-class motivational and entertainment value; Miyamoto-san's chair throwing and aggressive influences will become subdued within the decade. EAD will die if they don't go third party.

jett

D-Member
BamYouHaveAids said:
Why the **** is Gundamn #1? Who buys these games, there hasn't been a good one since PS1.

You'd think the fact that japanese gamers like garbage would be general knowledge by now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
[zelda spin]from what we know from Famitsu numbers, zelda only dropped around 5 percentage points in tie-ratio. the significant drop in all three titles (sports, play, zelda) can be attributed to less than 33% of last week's Wii shipment being shipped this week (or two weeks ago being shipped last week.. you know what I mean)[/zelda spin]

but seriously though. considering there are only ~450K Wiis in japan according to MC and Zelda has sold through to around 180K of those, that ain't too bad.

I think Zelda will see pretty consistent numbers as more Wii consoles get released. It did have a quicker drop off than I expected.

IJoel said:
I was thinking the same thing, compared to other RPGs isn't that pretty low for a first week of sales considering the drop most RPGs have?

Kreed

Good to see Blue Dragon selling well, but I have a feeling it'll be in Zelda's spot next week. Those Zelda numbers don't bode well for those hoping for Nintendo not to make any more "Wind Waker" changes to the franchise.

IJoel

Hmm... another perspective is that, assuming 50K were sold to the existing userbase of under 200K units, well, it's a big success since it's more than 25% of the userbase in just 4 days.

I'd say the gauge of BD's success will be the weekly Xbox 360 sales and whether it'll be enough to keep the interest in the console alive, as time goes by.

duckroll

borghe said:
but seriously though. considering there are only ~450K Wiis in japan according to MC and Zelda has sold through to around 180K of those, that ain't too bad.

But there are less than 500k Wiis in the US, and Zelda has already sold over 400k! Japan hates Zelda! :lol

Jonnyram

IJoel said:
To be fair, the first day figures are really rough estimates compared to the weekly figures. We've seen massive fluctuations before and in some cases the weekly total has been less than the first day estimate.

BD 70k day one isnt for sure though is it? If it only sold 10 in 3 days it might not even sell 20k next week. Still it has the biggest opening of any 360 game in japan and will be #1 one on the platform. Its increased the RPG fanbase decently enough that Trusty Bel, infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odessy should do even better.

fallout

jett said:
You'd think the fact that japanese gamers like garbage would be general knowledge by now.
Yeah, I hear they even like shitty game franchises like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

Top Bottom