• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

Sharp

test_account said:
Read the edit i did before you posted. When i say SNES to N64, i mean the jump.
Like I said, it happened with exactly one franchise. Zelda. Do you think R&C Future will do the same thing?

test_account

XP-39C²
Sharp said:
Like I said, it happened with exactly one franchise. Zelda. Do you think R&C Future will do the same thing?

I dont know. But as said, considering the userbase of the PS3 its a strech to think it will sell more than 223k. All i did was to question if the interest of Ratchet might have increased compared to the last Ratchet game on PS2. I'm not expecting anything, i'm not even predicting any salenumbers for Ratcher for PS3 since i have i have no idea on how the outcome will be. But if i should guess, 30-50k the first week. We'll see :)

Christine

test_account said:
Read the edit i did before you posted. When i say SNES to N64, i mean the jump.

You asked:

test_account said:
Why couldnt the same situation happend on SNES to N64 too?

The answer is: The GameCube to Wii jump isn't analogous to the SNES to N64 jump.

Wii is more popular than GameCube, N64 was not more popular than SNES.

GameCube had a competitor that was vastly more popular than it, SNES did not have such a competitor.

test_account

XP-39C²
TwinIonEngines said:
The answer is: The GameCube to Wii jump isn't an analogous market situation.

Wii is more popular than GameCube, N64 was not more popular than SNES.

I know, but no one compared the popularity or salenumber of GC to SNES or SNES to N64. The discussion wasnt about the popularity of the consoles compared to previous consoles, it was about if a game in the same serie that had had a decline in interest could sell better on the next console due to new interest. In this case it was about Mario Party (that was on GC and also went to Wii) and Ratchet (that was on PS2 and also went to PS3).

Jokeropia

test_account said:
True, i'm not saying that it will happend, i'm just putting a question mark behind it. No idea how much Dewey's Adventure was predicted to sell, but i can almost guarantee you that it was more than ~1k the first week atleast. I assume those predictions from Koei and Namco were done before the launch of the PS3? I dont think hardly any would think the PS3 would get this slow start. I guess they thought it would be on pair, or atleast close to what the PS2 preformed. So higher predictions would be made based on this.
Publishers don't care about attach rates as much as they care about absolute sales. The PS3's low popularity is obviously the primary reason most franchises underperform on it, but that doesn't change the fact that those franchises ARE underperforming.
test_account said:
The discussion wasnt about the popularity of the consoles compared to previous consoles, it was about if a game in the same serie that had had a decline in interest could sell better on the next console due to new interest.
Actually what everyone but you seem to acknowledge is that those two are very much related.

Christine

test_account said:
I know, but no one compared the popularity or salenumber of GC to SNES or SNES to N64. The discussion wasnt about the popularity of the consoles compared to previous consoles, it was about if a game in the same serie that had had a decline in interest could sell better on the next console due to new interest. In this case it was about Mario Party (that was on GC and also went to Wii) and Ratchet (that was on PS2 and also went to PS3).

Moving from GC to Wii has a different effect on game series than moving from PS2 to PS3, because of the relative popularity of the platforms involved in the transitions. The popularity of a platform does have an effect on the sales of software on that platform.

Obviously it is possible for a game franchise to see increased interest during a platform transition, but if you want to examine how probable this is for a series moving from PS2 to PS3, other series that move from PS2 to PS3 are a far, far more accurate indicator than a GC to Wii transition such as Mario Party.

donny2112

test_account said:
The discussion wasnt about the popularity of the consoles compared to previous consoles, it was about if a game in the same serie that had had a decline in interest could sell better on the next console due to new interest.

If console A sells hugely, vastly, humongously less than its predecessor, it is doubtful that a large enough contingent of "new" interest would exist in the lower console's userbase to counteract the effect of losing so much of the interest that had existed across the higher console's previous userbase.

There's also the whole "PS3's total software is almost as low as the 360's despite it having three times the userbase" issue.

Moor-Angol said:
it's very hard a single game which sold 45k on first day sales will boost 7x the system sales...
With a system as... un-mainstream and generally unsuccessful as X360 it's much more apt to temporarily increase by several hundred percent than any other system. It wouldn't take a very big fraction of Halo buyers to be new system purchasers to bring it near 10K.

*checks old data*
Blue Dragon's ~80K first week made for a hardware jump from 4K to 35K.

Hammerhai

JoshuaJSlone said:
With a system as... un-mainstream and generally unsuccessful as X360 it's much more apt to temporarily increase by several hundred percent than any other system. It wouldn't take a very big fraction of Halo buyers to be new system purchasers to bring it near 10K.

*checks old data*
Blue Dragon's ~80K first week made for a hardware jump from 4K to 35K.

With Bundles.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Publishers don't care about attach rates as much as they care about absolute sales. The PS3's low popularity is obviously the primary reason most franchises underperform on it, but that doesn't change the fact that those franchises ARE underperforming.

I know, i didnt say anything about that. I just said that i dont consider a game that sells to like 20-30% of the userbase of a console for bombed. Again, when i think of bombed i think of games that were expected to sell much more than they actually did. How many expected i.e MnG5 to sell 1 million copies when the userbase is 1 million?

Jokeropia said:
Actually what everyone but you seem to acknowledge is that those two are very much related.

Do you belive that i say that how popular and how big the userbase of a console is is totally irrelevant for a serie to increase in interest? If so, where did you get that impression from? Of course that a bigger userbase and a more popular console has a much bigger chance to boost new interest in a game serie than a low selling and unpopular console. Even if the userbase is smaller than the previous console, the interest for a game can still be increased, even if its just a small increase. Its not impossible. And again, i never said it would happend, i'm just questioning it. Please read what i write so i dont have to repeat everything 2-3 times :\ If something i said is unclear, please ask instead of implying that i've said something that i didnt said.

TwinIonEngines said:
Moving from GC to Wii has a different effect on game series than moving from PS2 to PS3, because of the relative popularity of the platforms involved in the transitions. The popularity of a platform does have an effect on the sales of software on that platform.

Obviously it is possible for a game franchise to see increased interest during a platform transition, but if you want to examine how probable this is for a series moving from PS2 to PS3, other series that move from PS2 to PS3 are a far, far more accurate indicator than a GC to Wii transition such as Mario Party.

I know, but as said, i'm just questioning if its possible. Can the interest for Rachet increase on the PS3, is it possible? Mario Party did it, so could it happend to Ratchet too? (of course in a smaller scale due to lower userbase). That was my only question. For some reason it feels like many people here belives that i said it would be more popular, but all i did was to question it.

donny2112 said:
If console A sells hugely, vastly, humongously less than its predecessor, it is doubtful that a large enough contingent of "new" interest would exist in the lower console's userbase to counteract the effect of losing so much of the interest that had existed across the higher console's previous userbase.

There's also the whole "PS3's total software is almost as low as the 360's despite it having three times the userbase" issue.

That might be, but as said, i was only questioning it :)

test_account said:

There's nothing to suggest that the game will sell more then its predecessors, and there's overwhelming evidence that it won't (lower userbase, declining interest). If previous bigger games for the PS3 couldn't do it what makes you think Ratchet will? You can't make these claims and say you're "only questioning it" when people call you out on it.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
There's nothing to suggest that the game will sell more then its predecessors, and there's overwhelming evidence that it won't (lower userbase, declining interest). If previous bigger games for the PS3 couldn't do it what makes you think Ratchet will? You can't make these claims and say you're "only questioning it" when people call you out on it.

What claims and where did i do them?

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Do you belive that i say that how popular and how big the userbase of a console is is totally irrelevant for a serie to increase in interest? If so, where did you get that impression from?
The fact that you repeatedly compare the step from Mario Party on GC to Mario Party on Wii to the step from Ratchet on PS2 to Ratchet on PS3, as if the factors that made Mario Party 8 sell more than it's predecessors also exist for Ratchet PS3. I see you acknowledge the fallacy of this in one post only to repeat it again in the next.

Stumpokapow probably made one of the least controversial predictions in this whole thread, so it seemed like an odd one to take issue with.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
The fact that you repeatedly compare the step from Mario Party on GC to Mario Party on Wii to the step from Ratchet on PS2 to Ratchet on PS3, as if the factors that made Mario Party 8 sell more than it's predecessors also exist for Ratchet PS3. I see you acknowledge the fallacy of this in one post only to repeat it again in the next.

Ah.. i now see where the "problem" is :) Either you missunderstood me or i didnt explain myself good enough, but i never ment to compare Ratchet on the same scale as Mario Party of course. Wii has had a huge success and is damn popular. The Wii controller also fits Mario Party perfectly. PS3 is having a low success and its not very popular. So of course i know that the factors for Mario Party to increase is (well.. was) a much bigger chance than Ratchet. I only ment to compare them as both being a gaming serie that had decreased interest in the last generation. The Wii awakened the interest for Mario Party most likely due to the motion controllers. Does PS3 have anything that can awaken the interest for Ratchet? Do you see what i mean now?

The whole thing actually started with that Ratchet wouldnt boost the hardware sale one bit. I said that it could happend and the discussion went on from there. I hope i explained myself good enough now so this discussion wont go back and forth anymore.

apujanata

test_account said:
Ah.. i now see where the "problem" is :) Either you missunderstood me or i didnt explain myself good enough, but i never ment to compare Ratchet on the same scale as Mario Party of course. Wii has had a huge success and is damn popular. The Wii controller also fits Mario Party perfectly. PS3 is having a low success and its not very popular. So of course i know that the factors for Mario Party to increase is (well.. was) a much bigger chance than Ratchet. I only ment to compare them as both being a gaming serie that had decreased interest in the last generation. The Wii awakened the interest for Mario Party most likely due to the motion controllers. Does PS3 have anything that can awaken the interest for Ratchet? Do you see what i mean now?

The whole thing actually started with that Ratchet wouldnt boost the hardware sale one bit. I said that it could happend and the discussion went on from there. I hope i explained myself good enough now so this discussion wont go back and forth anymore

I could be killed uuring my travel from home to work and vice versa. My airplane might have an accident during my holiday trip. My home might be hit by a tornado. But since all the mentioned possibilities is very small, we ignore them, so life can go on.

The possibilities that Rachet on PS3 sell more compared to Rachet on PS2 exist, but since it is so small, we tend to ignore them (I know that I did). Unless there is a significant re-creation or re-freshment to the Rachet series, the sales increase possibilities is very small (since no one made an "OMG, look at the new Rachet on PS3 game" thread, I assume that there is no significant changes / improvement to Rachet game, other than graphics).

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
I could be killed uuring my travel from home to work and vice versa. My airplane might have an accident during my holiday trip. My home might be hit by a tornado. But since all the mentioned possibilities is very small, we ignore them, so life can go on.

I dont see the resemblance with what i said. I said i dont want this discussion to go back and forth anymore, as in "you said that", "no i didnt", "yes you did!", "no i didnt", and so on. I was getting tired to write the same things 2-3 times. I was hoping that my last explanation would be good enough so people understood what i was asking/speculating in so the discussion wouldnt contunie like it previously did.

apujanata said:
The possibilities that Rachet on PS3 sell more compared to Rachet on PS2 exist, but since it is so small, we tend to ignore them (I know that I did). Unless there is a significant re-creation or re-freshment to the Rachet series, the sales increase possibilities is very small (since no one made an "OMG, look at the new Rachet on PS3 game" thread, I assume that there is no significant changes / improvement to Rachet game, other than graphics).

This is exactly what i was questioning :) I was wondering if Ratchet could have any growth in interest there since the PS2 games. As you say, i havnt seen too much hype around the game, atleast not in Japan. I dont know how people will "react" to Ratchet for PS3. I was hoping to hear some insight on this from people who know more than i do.

test_account said:
I dont see the resemblance with what i said. I said i dont want this discussion to go back and forth anymore, as in "you said that", "no i didnt", "yes you did!", "no i didnt", and so on. I was getting tired to write the same things 2-3 times. I was hoping that my last explanation would be good enough so people understood what i was asking/speculating in so the discussion wouldnt contunie like it previously did.

This is exactly what i was questioning :) I was wondering if Ratchet could have any growth in interest there since the PS2 games. As you say, i havnt seen too much hype around the game, atleast not in Japan. I dont know how people will "react" to Ratchet for PS3. I was hoping to hear some insight on this from people who know more than i do.

I think the point Apujanata was making was that you shouldn't go out of your way to mention things that have ridiculously small chances of happening, especially when you too hold this belief.

It would be like me making a post in this thread where I predict that DS sales will be about 2,000 next week because a Tsunami will hit Japan preventing people from buying them and since this possibility exists, it should be mentioned.

test_account

XP-39C²
Earthstrike said:
I think the point Apujanata was making was that you shouldn't go out of your way to mention things that have ridiculously small chances of happening, especially when you too hold this belief.

Ah yes, that would make more sense indeed. The way i understood it he commented on the "back and forth" part, hence he saying driving from and to work.

What belief by the way? I asked a question. This discussion could easily been shortened down alot if people actually read what i wrote and sticked to that instead of trying to analyze what i write. If i say "can Ratchet for PS3 gain interest?" it doesnt mean "i think Ratchet for PS3 will increase alot in interest and sell millions of PS3 consoles". It simply means what i write, can Ratchet for PS3 gain interest? Nothing more, nothing less. Please stop claiming things i never said. If something i say is unclear, the ask what i mean instead.

Earthstrike said:
It would be like me making a post in this thread where I predict that DS sales will be about 2,000 next week because a Tsunami will hit Japan preventing people from buying them and since this possibility exists, it should be mentioned.

If you do this then you make a prediction, i didnt make a prediction that Ratchet for PS3 would sell over 200k, i asked a question about it if is it possible. Its 2 different things. If 5000 people had said "no!", ok, then it would pretty much be end of the discussion and we could move on. Instead a big discussion starts around.. i'm not quite sure to be honest hehe. All i know is that i've used alot of posts trying to explain what i ment and saying that i didnt make any predictions. The only prediction i made, when i was asked about it, was that it would sell 30-50k the first week.

I hope this explanation is enough to understand what i mean and that it will end this rather useless discussion.

i'm looking forward to MySims numbers, it's around a week the game is hanging around #60 and #70 on Amazon.jp chart

for a comparison, Sengoku Musou: Katana only stayed a couple of days on top100...

apujanata

Moor-Angol said:
i'm looking forward to MySims numbers, it's around a week the game is hanging around #60 and #70 on Amazon.jp chart

for a comparison, Sengoku Musou: Katana only stayed a couple of days on top100...

MySims should do ok. Maybe 30 - 50 K first week like SimCity DS (which has 50K first week in Famitsu)

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont know much japanese, but number 4 is Tamagotchi :) Anyone got the sale numbers, both for software and hardware?

EDIT: Fixed typo, forgot the 2nd "t" in Tamagotchi.

Defuser

1)Pokemon Dungeon
2)Halo 3
3)Crisis Core
4)Tamagotchi
5)Metal Gear Portable Ops plus
6)Bleach
7)Yugioh Tagforce 2
8)Falcon's 2 umd game(Can't remember the title)
9)Evangelion Pachinko game
10)Phantasy Star

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Wow, PSP/PS2 dominated top 10. Wii nowhere to be seen.

9 is Eva pachinko and 10 is Phantasy Star Universe: Ambitions whatever expansion

Laguna

Banned
Not bad at all. But we know that this period isn´t that strong sales-wise. So it´s easy to enter Top20 for new releases. Neitherless Halo3 could chart as Nr.1 (Nr.2 or 3 in media-creates chart because they like splitting different editions of one game).

ITA84

Lots of new entries this week.

I wonder how much Tamagotch has sold (and, in turn, CC, to see if it's keeping up), since it didn't start too well.

Lobster

Banned
Defuser said:
1)Pokemon Dungeon
2)Halo 3
3)Crisis Core
4)Tamagotchi
5)Metal Gear Portable Ops plus
6)Bleach
7)Yugioh Tagforce 2
8)Falcon's 2 umd game(Can't remember the title)
9)Evangelion Pachinko game
10)Phantasy Star

So Halo 3 at number 1 then??? (Pokemon Dungeon is seperated on the charts)

Defuser

Laguna said:
Not bad at all. But we know that this period isn´t that strong sales-wise. So it´s easy to enter Top20 for new releases. Neitherless Halo3 could chart as Nr.1 (Nr.2 or 3 in media-creates chart because they like splitting different editions of one game).
Regardless what editions it is,it's the same game so Halo 3 could be number 1 in MC.
Pokemon dungeon has different versions so it has to be counted seperate.

Jonnyram

PSP 128000
DSL 72000
Wii 25000
PS2 13000
PS3 13000
360 5800

1. Pokemon 97,000 (857,000)
2. Halo 3 61,000
3. Crisis Core 61,000 (664,000)
4. Tamagotchi 3 48,000
5. MGS Portable Ops+ 41,000 (130,000)
6. Bleach 32,000
7. Yugioh 30,000
8. Eiyuu Densetsu 26,000
9. Evangelion Magokoro 24,000
10. PSU Illuminas 24,000
11. Kanji Kentei 2 23,000
12. Oblivion 23,000
21. Wangan PSP 10,000
23. Kekkaishi 9,800
27. Agarest Senki 9,000
28. Eigo Kentei DS 8,900

i.e. Halo 3 or Crisis Core should be #1 on M.C.

Laguna

Banned
Famitsu doesn´t think so, Defuser. I see it the same way PkmMD2 is released in two editions but in the end it´s the same game. Halo3 will track 1st in MC-charts it would be the first game on a Microsoft console to do that in Japan. But chartspositions alone don´t tell anything, especially in a period of bad sales like this one.

Defuser

Jonnyram said:
PSP 128000
DSL 72000
Wii 25000
PS2 13000
PS3 13000
360 5800
Ho ho, PSP dropoff by half. Amazingly PS3 still hasn't dip below 10k yet since there like no games coming for it for quite a while except for Agarest War which is a bomba.

Lobster

Banned
Jonnyram said:
PSP 128000
DSL 72000
Wii 25000
PS2 13000
PS3 13000
360 5800

1. Pokemon 97,000 (857,000)
2. Halo 3 61,000
3. Crisis Core 61,000 (664,000)
4. Tamagotchi 3 48,000
5. MGS Portable Ops+ 41,000 (130,000)
6. Bleach 32,000
7. Yugioh 30,000
8. Eiyuu Densetsu 26,000
9. Evangelion Magokoro 24,000
10. PSU Illuminas 24,000
11. Kanji Kentei 2 23,000
12. Oblivion 23,000
21. Wangan PSP 10,000
23. Kekkaishi 9,800
27. Agarest Senki 9,000
28. Eigo Kentei DS 8,900

i.e. Halo 3 or Crisis Core should be #1 on M.C.

So Wii is stuck at the 25K mark..thats alright I guess. Oblivion at 23K is pretty good?

Top Bottom