• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

Frillen

DiatribeEQ said:
Go Go PSP! Only 13 million to go to beat DSL! (seriously, I'm rooting for it!) Hopefully Sony can keep up this momentum for quite some time to come.

No, just no.

It's like taking a piss from the Grand Canyon up to the catwalk.

botticus

PS3 Oblivion had less than half the first day sales of 360 Oblivion? The fact that it's a western RPG explains it somewhat, but one would think the much larger userbase would have helped.

Hammer24

Banned
apujanata said:
Since you missed my previous post, please find it here :

Day one sales, first week sales (famitsu):
1. Halo 3 45k
2. Oblivion 35k 45,497
3. Trusty Bell 30k 43,592
4. Gears of War 25k 33,795
5. Idolm@ster 15k 25,003

I looked it up, and this thread says MC 1st week: 40,168.

Fady K

A little late here, but I said the inevitable - HOLY SHIT. I dont think the PSP has ever come close to this since launch back in Christmas 04 :0

Raist

Banned
botticus said:
PS3 Oblivion had less than half the first day sales of 360 Oblivion? The fact that it's a western RPG explains it somewhat, but one would think the much larger userbase would have helped.

Except if the 360 userbase in Japan is interested by western games, while the PS3 userbase isn't.

Borys said:
Didn't read the thread so stupid question incoming:

did FF7: CC sell at least 1M copies yet?

No.

And you could've at least glanced at the OP, which holds all the information you would've wanted, and then some.

Jokeropia

Crisis Core has sold 595k and is unlikely to reach a million.
test_account said:
No what? Its not impossible that PSP can have some good sales for a while.
I think he's referring to the "beat DSL" part.

Yeah, should be great. Instead of just having the N-fans who don't know shit about stats, and the recently added S-fans who don't know shit about stats, we'll also have the MS-fans who don't know shit about stats. The whole set! What a treat for us.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
I think he's referring to the "beat DSL" part.

Most likely ye, but all the other guy said was that he was rooting for PSP, he didnt say it was going to happend, that PSP outsold DS (LTD sales).

Frillen

test_account said:
Most likely ye, but all the other guy said was that he was rooting for PSP, he didnt say it was going to happend, that PSP outsold DS (LTD sales).

Yeah I, of course, was refering to the "beat DSLite" statement.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
Yeah I, of course, was refering to the "beat DSLite" statement.

Still, he was only saying he was rooting for the PSP :) Thats why i wondered why you said no to this. To be honest i knew you was refering to the DS part, but i still dont think its right to say no because hes rooting for it :p

apujanata

test_account said:

Go Go PSP! Only 13 million to go to beat DSL! (seriously, I'm rooting for it!) Hopefully Sony can keep up this momentum for quite some time to come.

The way I read the above quoted sentence is that the person is rooting for PSP to beat DSL (which will never happen, at least in Japan).

I might like GCN, but I never, ever root for GCN to beat PS2 (since I am still a sane person). It is more reasonable for a person to root for PS3 to beat Wii in Japan (although hoping for X360 to beat Wii in Japan are solid grounds for hospitalization into lunacy ward, or Gotham prison, whichever is nearer to the place of incident).

Edit : I mean LTD in PS3 > Wii and X360 > Wii sentence above, not just weekly sales.

apujanata

Souldriver said:
Oh, you never know. A PS3>Wii week would be awesome reading candy too.

That is not sufficient. PS3 LTD > Wii LTD is the minimum level of entertaintement that will surpass this week's entertainment value (IMO), since PS3>Wii will only rival, but not surpass, this week's entertainment value.

On second thought, since PSP managed to get > DS in weekly sales during Jan - March 2005, PS3 > Wii week (which have not happened yet, so far), is entertaining enough. The possibility is very slim though, at least until FFXIII release.

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
The way I read the above quoted sentence is that the person is rooting for PSP to beat DSL (which will never happen, at least in Japan).

I might like GCN, but I never, ever root for GCN to beat PS2 (since I am still a sane person). It is more reasonable for a person to root for PS3 to beat Wii in Japan (although hoping for X360 to beat Wii in Japan are solid grounds for hospitalization into lunacy ward, or Gotham prison, whichever is nearer to the place of incident).

Edit : I mean LTD in PS3 > Wii and X360 > Wii sentence above, not just weekly sales.

Well, its sorta like if Oldboys 1934 plays against Manchester United. You will still see people rooting/cheering for the Oldboys eventho they dont have a chance in hell to win :) Those who root for the Oldboys doesnt have to be insane hehe :p In every club you will find supporters rooting for their team no matter how slim the chances are for a victory. So why should people say no to someone who are rooting for something, eventho the chances for a victory is slim to nill? Of course DS will win with a mile over PSP in Japan, but there is nothing wrong with rooting ;)

DefectiveReject said:
JoshuaJSloane needs to come in here and show us PS2's average sales this time into it's release
Well, if we mean its first September, they were pretty low as it was in the beginning of its quarter-long shortage dip.

As says Famitsu:
Week of 2000-09-04: 48,146
Week of 2000-09-11: 31,583
Week of 2000-09-18: 31,628
Week of 2000-09-25: 28,941

And if we mean time from launch, this was Wii's week 43; here are PS2's weeks 42-44 . This puts us in its first December. This is just on the far side of those shortages, so they never really got a huge peak that holiday.

As says Famitsu:
2000-12-11: 41,691
Combined weeks of 2000-12-18 and 2000-12-25: 95,053
Sharp said:
DefectiveReject, it's pretty crap when you consider how long it took the PS2 to get down to 20k a week without supply constraint.
This far out and without ancient weekly discussion threads and proto-Vinnk to consult, it's hard to tell just what the supply situation was. However, if I assume the worst of it was over by the time the new year rolled around, PS2 did have five sub-25K weeks in 2001.

As says Famitsu:
Week of 2001-01-15: 23,966 (Possibly a post-holiday shortage; things are much bigger the next few weeks.)
Week of 2001-04-09: 21,997
Week of 2001-05-14: 24,529
Week of 2001-05-21: 21,989
Week of 2001-05-28: 24,638

However, it is worth keeping in mind those numbers aren't exactly MC-compatible. I'm wondering if their tracking methods somehow advantage the lesser selling consoles, which would both explain Famitsu's usually-higher PS3 sales, and why now that Wii has been lower these past few weeks Famitsu has been showing it higher, too.
Wii (Fam) vs Wii (MC)
Moor-Angol said:
Wii > PS3 + PS2 + 360

so... WHERE is the problem ?
GBA > Game Gear + Wonderswan + Atari Lynx
is also true. I don't think Wii is in particularly dire straits due to an off month, either, but a relationship like that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Fady K said:
I dont think the PSP has ever come close to this since launch back in Christmas 04 :0
Launch supply sucked. Add together PSP's first two weeks, and it would still be a few dozen thousand short of this week.

botticus said:

The 360 is the ultra-hardcore system in Japan. Most people who would have been in the market for Oblivion probably bought it for the Xbox already.

Totalriot said:
I've just realised that ASH will debut next week. Any guesses how much it will sell? I think it will do some 50k first day and maybe 100k first week. I hope I am far too conservative, though. Do we know anything about preorders for this game?

I'm going to be wildly optimistic and say first week of 120k, LTD of 350k. I figure the realistic worst case is that it puts up Blue Dragon's numbers.

ziran said:
These charts continue to show the popularity of traditional gaming, i.e. the mainstay of PS3 and PSP, isn't rebounding. It's fallen to a niche group and will never break out of this imo.

PS3 is currently a dead system in Japan, and if it's to overtake Wii it will not be with any of its existing line-up, FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, RE5, DMC4, DW5, etc. Relatively speaking, these are tired franchises.

The market has changed, and the new looks like it's going to continue to be the driving force of the industry, and the hardware manufacturer with the most appealing, innovative games will dominate. This may be Sony with some yet to be revealed plan, but after their laughable TGS showing (in terms of reasserting their presence in the market) they're fumbling more than ever, so it's more likely to be Nintendo.

SW is Wii's problem, and I'm sure Nintendo envisioned the current sales scenario as a possibility. Given the time periods involved in hw and sw sales projections, I imagine they decided against releasing any potentially big system sellers because this could've increased demand beyond the amount they were capable of delivering to the market and damaged sw sales of premiere titles, yet by not releaseing any big titles they would find themselves with a dissatisfied installed base. However, with the PS3 continuing to flounder the latter scenario isn't so bad because people won't be tempted by the competition, and Nintendo will be happy to have some breathing room.

With hindsight, late August, early September would've been a good time for something like Wii Fit, but this market isn't going away, so I don't think it's going to matter when it's released. I think the demand for fun, new Nintendo developed titles is as high as ever.

That's right. After all, even the Nintendo DS passed 5 months (thanks to JoshuaJSlone) in the exact same situation. Read again: 5 months, before Nintendogs, Jump Super Stars and Brain Training came out.
The Wii is in the same situation, but there is a key difference: this period is lasting only since 3 weeks and it will end with the first BIG game that will come out, that, if I good remember, is Super Mario Galaxy.

Mario and Smash will attract lots of hardcore's fans, that now the Wii really needs, because hardcore have not bought massively the system. Wii Fit will do the rest, re-attracting new and old non-gamers. It will be in my opinion the BIG game of the year in Japan.

PSP has done wonderfully. That's a fact. But it has done ALL it could in these two weeks. Almost nothing remains and this is the big problem. For how much will it last ? CCFF7 was already a lot down this week and I'm not so sure that it will reach the million mark. Maybe 900-950k. But, anyway, it's not the point. 50k of difference doesn't change much.

What matters is that with the PSP, hardware is driving the software and not the opposite. This means that it is more likely that the effect will last now and then PSP will return to a superior, abitual selling rate. In other words, ~40k, probably. More then the old PSP, sure, but the situation will be as it was before (I'm not couting Chistmas of course).
PSP is not likely to have a DS Lite effect. That's very likely. I'd say almost sure (but not at 100%. Who knows ?). Anyway, hardware's sales is not what PSP needs now, because they've been, more or less, pretty good. What the handheld needs is software !

Sony had the chance to have a very successful handheld, but they failed to use this big opportunity on order to support a lot more (in an ossessive way) the PS3 and this has been, in my opinion, a big mistake !
And now I think it is too late to shift resources to the portable. Sure, they can start to develop big games that will come out at the end of next year and after, and I'm sure they'll sell great anyway, but this will not change the bottom line: PSP is a not fully and not dinamically supported console. Conseguence: N64 syndrome. Big bump. Some big software sales (but a lot less then Nintendo did with N64, as you know) and nothing more.

Sony could REALLY beat the DS. I still believe this ! If it hasn't happened at the end, Sony is to blame and nobody else.

Mithos Yggdrasil said:
That's right. After all, even the Nintendo DS passed 6 months in the exact same situation. Read again: 6 months, before Nintendogs, Jump Super Stars and Brain Training came out.
Slight correction. Nintendogs came out shortly before the 5 month mark; Brain Training shortly before 6.

tehbear

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Sony had the chance to have a very successful handheld, but they failed to use this big opportunity on order to support a lot more (in an ossessive way) the PS3 and this has been, in my opinion, a big mistake !

If you call "support the PS3" one top tier title in the first year then yeah they supported the hell out of it. Let's face it, while their PSP efforts can be considered nonchalant, the Japanese-centric PS3 efforts have been either slow as hell, PSP-bad, or both.

tehbear

test_account said:
Well, its sorta like if Oldboys 1934 plays against Manchester United. You will still see people rooting/cheering for the Oldboys eventho they dont have a chance in hell to win :) Those who root for the Oldboys doesnt have to be insane hehe :p In every club you will find supporters rooting for their team no matter how slim the chances are for a victory. So why should people say no to someone who are rooting for something, eventho the chances for a victory is slim to nill? Of course DS will win with a mile over PSP in Japan, but there is nothing wrong with rooting ;)

The analogy works for the PS3 as well. I want some form of HD console to be in the running in Japan, but I realize the PS3 is no better than the LA Galaxy. Lalas (Hirai) makes all these bold claims of potential but the team is so far behind someone like Man Utd (Wii). that it's the worse team in an inferior league. We keep getting promises of AAAs, but in reality all we got was a broken port of David Beckham that wouldn't even have passed EA's QA. I like Galaxy, I also realize it'll be a miracle if they could compete with ManU.

See this analogy also works because United (the Wii) hasn't being doing so well in recent weeks and critics are ready to bury them. Relax, once Man Utd hits the holiday season, their exclusive lineup of Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney will resume their usual domination.

tehbear said:
If you call "support the PS3" one top tier title in the first year then yeah they supported the hell out of it. Let's face it, while their PSP efforts can be considered nonchalant, the Japanese-centric PS3 efforts have been either slow as hell, PSP-bad, or both.

That's the N64 syndrome: very complex hardware, with high developing times and very expensive to develop -> Lot of delays and non-dinamic compensation to slow periods. In other words: entire months without big games. And then, pardonnez-moi, Sony believed really that the first 5 millions PS3s would have sold without games. Otherwise, I don't explain this lackuster support. Gundam, Virtua Fighter 5 and Resistance are sure not enough and I'm sure they knew that. And then ,the price made the rest. Now they're trying to save what is still possible, but in doing so, they've forgotten the PSP and until the situation comes to a better standpoint, no big changes will happen: that's why I'm worried with the PSP. Pratically it is only in Third Parties's hands. And even here, Sony overstimated Third Parties's faithfulness and now they're trying to recover with aquisitions of studios and paying big exclusivities, that otherwise would go on X360 too. Sony is really trying "to fill holes" a little bit everywhere.

As Yoichi Wada said, Sony has not really a great strategy because they've done too many mistakes and now it's diffficult to recover.

donny2112

DefectiveReject said:
JoshuaJSloane needs to come in here and show us PS2's average sales this time into it's release

Here

This is PS2 (2000, 2001) from June 1 and the Wii (2007) from June 1. PS2 2000 was supply-constrained. PS2 2001 and Wii 2007 are not supply-constrained. It isn't as bad as I thought, but Wii is still the lowest line for the current time period.

apujanata said:
Nintendo can safely reduce their 2.5 Million / month DSL production to 2.0 Million/month, and still maintain healthy DSL stock for Nov and Dec. (IMO).

No, they can't. The DS hasn't had a single holiday sales period in Japan (except maybe launch?) where it wasn't in supply constraints. Nintendo needs to keep the 2.5 million / month through January, and then re-evaluate global demand.

Pristine_Condition said:
Wait up... The powerhouse franchise of Wii Sports only managed to outsell Bladestorm PS3 by a mere 2,626 copies, even though the Wii is outselling PS3 by over a 2:1 ratio?

In the 3rd week for Bladestorm and the ~40th week for Wii Sports. Shocking, I know.

apujanata said:
I believe there is some missing figure in the PS3 Bladestorm LTD.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Sept 10-16

8. WII Wii Sports 14026 / 1981941

12. WII Wii Play 12402 / 1549123

18. PS3 Bladestorm 11400 / 1963460

Fixed. I believe donny has inadvertently mistype Bladestorm's LTD.

:lol

apujanata said:
If X360 outsells PS3, then Microsoft fanboys will participate in M-create, which mean all three fanboys camp (Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft) can slug it out, and create the biggest, meanest, HD enabled, wagglefied M-create topic ever.

:lol :lol

You're on a roll this week.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Good PSP sales are good,

And bad Wii sales are bad. Bad! Wii sales. Bad! Get back in your Wiihouse!

So here's a few numbers I don't mention frequently, but as the US versions have come up recently in the NPD thread...

Wii weeks ownership: 93.8 million
PS3 weeks ownership: 34.4 million

DS weeks ownership: 859.1 million
PSP weeks ownership: 338.7 million

donny2112 said:
Here

This is PS2 (2000, 2001) from June 1 and the Wii (2007) from June 1. PS2 2000 was supply-constrained. PS2 2001 and Wii 2007 are not supply-constrained. It isn't as bad as I thought, but Wii is still the lowest line for the current time period.
Just a note to you or anyone else making such comparisons. You can put in any arbitrary date, but it will start with the next available numbers. So it's possible one of those lines could start on June 1 while another would start on June 7, though starting with May 31 would give a closer match. By chance, though, this one works out to as close a comparison as you could hope for:

PS2 2000: Week of 2000-06-05
PS2 2001: Week of 2000-06-04
Wii 2007: Week of 2007-06-04

I really need to change it so that it will at least display the actual date it starts with, even if it accepts arbitrary input.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
You can put in any arbitrary date, but it will start with the next available numbers.

As long as we're not trying to do a one-to-one match on the dates, it should be close enough, though. Thanks for clairfying it. :)

Top Bottom