• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's official, Nintendo has passed the torch back to Sony. DS is dead and the Wii finally lost its gimick.

Welcome back to the natural order of things. Long live the Sony......Here, here for Playstations.

Nice try Nindendorks.

Sharp

"Dead" is 70k a week now?

The Wii is in serious trouble but I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks the PSP is going to have sustained sales like this.

Maybe Nintendo wanted to let Sony feel a bit better.
I mean a few weeks until any new BIG releases. Maybe they got bored of being on top?

Sharp said:
"Dead" is 70k a week now?

Nope, just the DS set a VERY high bar.

The Wii is in serious trouble but I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks the PSP is going to have sustained sales like this.

How?
If Wii is in trouble what position are the PS3 and 360 in?

Sharp

NomarTyme said:
I thought it was obvious sarcasm on Cooter part.
It was for him, but there are other people who are actually arguing that point.

And yes, of course the Wii is selling better than the 360 and PS3, but it's still selling kind of like crap.

Polari

DefectiveReject said:

Completely fucked.

Nintendo had better get to work on Nintencats for Wii though. Is Wii Fit still scheduled for this year in Japan?

NomarTyme

Sharp said:

And yes, of course the Wii is selling better than the 360 and PS3, but it's still selling kind of like crap.
I don't see it.

Sharp said:

How is 25,000 units at a particularly quiet time of year with no big software release crap??

PLease explain rather than stating a retarded self indulgant comment

Polari said:
Completely fucked.

Nintendo had better get to work on Nintencats for Wii though. Is Wii Fit still scheduled for this year in Japan?
Yeah
Wii-Fit
Mario Galaxy
Smash Bros Brawl
all this year, and people think Wii is in trouble.......................... :lol :lol

ITA84

DefectiveReject said:

Disregarding those other two consoles' performance, if Wii sales are still going down (albeit slower now) and have yet to level off, it's a sign that something's missing, and we know it can't be supplies.
Among the upcoming games in Japan, WiiFit looks like to be the only one that would grant the Wii substained sales (like Brain Training for DS); it's a gamble I thought Nintendo wouldn't take a second time.

But I guess Sony is making it easier for Nintendo to take their chances: with their market lead, they could probably afford to go on with subpar sales for a while, even up to an Animal Crossing game coming out. And who knows, maybe Mario Galaxy and SSBB could do wonders for the system.
But if Nintendo is aiming for market expansion, WiiFit failing isn't an option in my opinion.

ITA84 said:
Disregarding those other two consoles' performance, if Wii sales are still going down (albeit slower now) and have yet to level off, it's a sign that something's missing, and we know it can't be supplies.
Among the upcoming games in Japan, WiiFit looks like to be the only one that would grant the Wii substained sales (like Brain Training for DS); it's a gamble I thought Nintendo wouldn't take a second time.

But I guess Sony is making it easier for Nintendo to take their chances: with their market lead, they could probably afford to go on with subpar sales for a while, even up to an Animal Crossing game coming out. And who knows, maybe Mario Galaxy and SSBB could do wonders for the system.
But if Nintendo is aiming for market expansion, WiiFit failing isn't an option in my opinion.

Seriously. You are questioning whether Galaxy or Smash will help Wii sales????

Also Wii sales are still high

JoshuaJSloane needs to come in here and show us PS2's average sales this time into it's release

Sharp

DefectiveReject, it's pretty crap when you consider how long it took the PS2 to get down to 20k a week without supply constraint. It is also pretty crap compared to the weeks before the Wii suddenly became a not-hot item, and it's pretty crap in the same sense that the PS3 was crap when it went down to 20k a week. If this were a one-week thing, which I initially thought, it wouldn't matter so much, but these constantly lowering sales aren't exactly reassuring as to that point. What the hell is self-indulgent about saying that? Do you think I want to see the Wii fail in Japan? It's my console of choice.

Cooter

I'll end the suspense. Of course I was being sarcastic. I have to respond to this:

Four words, New Super Mario Bros. You seem to think Mario has no ability to move consoles. Not only is the next Super Mario Bros in a highly successful, 20 year franchise coming out but it's fighting spinoff, Super Smash Bros is also being release 1 month later. Considering that Smash Bros. is now outselling the traditional Mario's, I think your entire post should be deleted.

cvxfreak

Sharp said:
DefectiveReject, it's pretty crap when you consider how long it took the PS2 to get down to 20k a week without supply constraint. It is also pretty crap compared to the weeks before the Wii suddenly became a not-hot item, and it's pretty crap in the same sense that the PS3 was crap when it went down to 20k a week. If this were a one-week thing, which I initially thought, it wouldn't matter so much, but these constantly lowering sales aren't exactly reassuring as to that point. What the hell is self-indulgent about saying that? Do you think I want to see the Wii fail in Japan? It's my console of choice.

PS2 fell below 20K in its 35th week.

Sharp

cvxfreak said:
But it was supply-constrained, was it not? I was under the impression that Sony was diverting shipments to other territories at that point.

Sharp said:

first off it aint crap.
The PS3 sales of 20,000 WERE crap as it was a new Playstation and should of been selling what the Wii WAS doing. The thing also with PS3 sales is they hit 20,000 and kept sliding.

Aside PSP (Which only has a bump due to a new unit and a BIG game) all hardware has been on a slide the last few weeks. People are just back to school, finished summer holidays and preparing for Xmas.
Why would you buy your kid a PS3/Wii/DS now with Xmas around the corner?

The thing is Wii will jump back to those numbers very shortly and stay there.
Mario, Smash, Wii-Fit, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and more on the way in the next few months will start of the next wave of Wii sales.
The DS had a similar sort of ride, out of the gates, slowed down and then WHAM.
For the DS and Wii to start slowing down at EXACTLY the same time, seems a bit odd to me. Maybe stock Japan wide is low? Maybe Nintendo aren't pushing them so much at the moment. Maybe you know its a quiet time of year for sales.

Sharp said:
But it was supply-constrained, was it not? I was under the impression that Sony was diverting shipments to other territories at that point.
And they aren't doing this with Wii?
All reports say Wii sales are up in USA and Europe, and everywhere i go at the moment, Wii in main is out of stock, you'll find one in your day but it'll likely be a forced bundle.

Sharp

DefectiveReject said:
And they aren't doing this with Wii?
All reports say Wii sales are up in USA and Europe, and everywhere i go at the moment, Wii in main is out of stock, you'll find one in your day but it'll likely be a forced bundle.
It's not. Supply-constrained. In. Fucking. Japan.

We've been over this.

Cooter

Sharp said:
It's not. Supply-constrained. In. Fucking. Japan.

We've been over this.

I don't know what's going on but it's amusing that sales in the US have went up almost at the excat time Japanese sales went down. When you also take into account that Europe doesn't have a very reliable source of tracking it is atleast plausible. You need to relax. I very rarely see a need to drop an F bomb on the gaming forum.

cvxfreak

DefectiveReject said:
I haven't.
And i didn't say it was, only it may be.

Not at all. Not at all.

If I wanted to buy 100 Wii systems right now, I could easily do so here in Japan. That goes double for the DS Lite.

Sharp said:
Ask any of the JGAFers here how hard it is to find a Wii. Ask Vinnk if you must.
Anecdotal evidence FTW!!!

ZOMG Wii sold out in my local game store....... WORLDWIDE SELL OUT CONFIRMED

cvxfreak said:
Not at all. Not at all.

If I wanted to buy 100 Wii systems right now, I could easily do so here in Japan. That goes double for the DS Lite.

Bring em to Europe. We're all sold out!

Sharp

DefectiveReject said:

There is not a single GAFer in Japan who has had any trouble finding a Wii in recent weeks. There is a report from Kotaku and from various other sources. How much data do you need?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
cvxfreak said:
PS2 was going through pretty nasty supply issues for most of the first year, they failed to get their 180nm production online by the US/Euro launch, which basically shredded their production capacity at that time (not to even mention they lost more money on transition).

cvxfreak

From last week's MC thread. It's like that at every store.

Fafalada said:
PS2 was going through pretty nasty supply issues for most of the first year, they failed to get their 180nm production online by the US/Euro launch, which basically shredded their production capacity at that time (not to even mention they lost more money on transition).

"Production issues" is no excuse. Wii had production issues all year, really.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DefectiveReject said:

Bring em to Europe. We're all sold out!

cvxfreak said:
From last week's MC thread. It's like that at every store.

Anecdotal, meet photographic evidence!

Sharp said:
There is not a single GAFer in Japan who has had any trouble finding a Wii in recent weeks. There is a report from Kotaku and from various other sources. How much data do you need?
I didn't deny there was.

120m Japanese peeps Vs GAF !

Anway who gives a shit Wii sells like shit (As you say) yet still doubles PS3 sales. Guess Home consoles are in trouble in Japan.

And when Mario and Wii Fit hit, every single one of those Wii's will most likely disappear so if you can buy 100 CVX buy them now and store them til Xmas, then sit outside a big store and sell them

reilo said:
Anecdotal, meet photographic evidence!
Objection.
Photographic meet spin off demand
want_wii.jpg

zallaaa

I wonder how many week could the PSP keep the first position. I don't think it will last for a long time, but maybe a coulple of weeks it could.

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
Not at all. Not at all.

The big question is : Will Wii still be as available as today when SMG & SSBB hit Japan ? Everyone think not. Will everyone be right, or will some surprise happen ?

If Wii is not sold out during this period, there is a valid reason for Nintendo to hit the "panic" button.

zallaaa said:
I wonder how many week could the PSP keep the first position. I don't think it will last for a long time, but maybe a coulple of weeks it could.
I am thinking around 2 weeks - 4 weeks. If DS can get 100K+ again, then it is closer to 2 weeks. If DS still only managed 70K+, then it is closer to 4 weeks. I think Nintendo can start re-allocating some of their DSL production capacity to produce Wii. Nintendo can safely reduce their 2.5 Million / month DSL production to 2.0 Million/month, and still maintain healthy DSL stock for Nov and Dec. (IMO).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
cvfreak said:
Not compared to PS2 back then - Nintendo makes probably close to 1M/month, PS2 in month 10 was lucky to produce 200k (ok I'm pulling that out of my ass, but they missed their shipment targets for US/Euro by a factor of nearly 4).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DefectiveReject said:
Anway who gives a shit Wii sells like shit (As you say)

It seems like that you care more-so than anyone else in this thread...

cvxfreak

Fafalada said:
Not compared to PS2 back then - Nintendo makes probably close to 1M/month, PS2 in month 10 was lucky to produce 200k (ok I'm pulling that out of my ass, but they missed their shipment targets for US/Euro by a factor of nearly 4).

If you can't meet demand, it's technically a production issue as well. They're just two very different kinds.

Anywho, DefectiveReject is right about these Wii systems. They're eventually going to sell. We have proof in this very same thread that systems will eventually reach low points for whatever reason and will bounce back up under the right circumstances.

Lobster

Banned
apujanata said:
The problem is that the quotation used to be "Wii > PS3 + PS2 + 360 + PSP"

Well im sure if Wii had FF7:CC2 and a redesign at the moment..well lets just say it would be more then 277k.

Cooter

apujanata said:
The problem is that the quotation used to be "Wii > PS3 + PS2 + 360 + PSP"

Let me get this straight. The problem is the Wii is not outselling 4 systems. Three is just unacceptable.

Okie dokie.

cvxfreak

apujanata said:
The big question is : Will Wii still be as available as today when SMG & SSBB hit Japan ? Everyone think not. Will everyone be right, or will some surprise happen ?

If Wii is not sold out during this period, there is a valid reason for Nintendo to hit the "panic" button.

Game systems will almost always increase in sales during the holidays, and especially when the right software is released. So, those systems will be gone eventually.

Being sold out on the other hand is a different issue. If Nintendo ships 300K Wii in a week and sell 250K, meaning stores will have 50K by the end of the week ready to carry over to next week in addition to huge restocks, will people still deem that unimpressive? Doubt it.

Laguna

Banned
It´s nice to see so many new faces in a media-create thread.

PSP mcreate hardware numbers are as good as yesterdays Famitsu´s. It will be interesting to see what PSP sales will look like the following weeks and even mor interesting to see PSPs software sales.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Sept 10-16

8. WII Wii Sports 14026 / 1981941

12. WII Wii Play 12402 / 1549123

18. PS3 Bladestorm 11400 / 96346

Wait up... The powerhouse franchise of Wii Sports only managed to outsell Bladestorm PS3 by a mere 2,626 copies, even though the Wii is outselling PS3 by over a 2:1 ratio?

WTF?

In a week of crazy numbers, that's the craziest number to me...

Pristine_Condition said:
Wait up... The powerhouse franchise of Wii Sports only managed to outsell Bladestorm PS3 by a mere 2,626 copies, even though the Wii is outselling PS3 by over a 2:1 ratio?

WTF?

In a week of crazy numbers, that's the craziest number to me...

Maybe it's got something to do with wii sports and blade storm's LTD?

Top Bottom